• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea foreign minister says may detonate nuclear bomb in Pacific

Painguy

Bruh pls let me enjoy my masters degree for 20 years then blow each other up pls. I stressed myself too much to have this degree be useless now

Occam

Wouldn't this be the time for the US to use its most advanced military technology to stop the test? If they can't, what's the point of the insane US military budget?

2MF

Wouldn't this be the time for the US to use its most advanced military technology to stop the test? If they can't, what's the point of the insane US military budget?

One of the problems is people will panic if the US tries and fails to stop the test.

Un has the potential to be the most dangerous human being to ever exist, tbh the whole world should end him asap for the existence of humanity before he triggers an unwanted natural selection

2MF

If they do nothing, they kinda look impotent, too, don't they?

Kinda but not necessarily - the US can just pretend that these tests are not a huge deal. If they try to stop them, that pretense is gone. If they fail, it's panic time.

Both sides need their heads banging together like naughty children.

We need to fuckin' get Kim and Trump, lock 'em in a caged ring and just have 'em fight it out. Don't matter who the winner is, cause we'll basically wall up the cage and haul it to the middle of some remote, abandoned island in the middle nowhere. For two of the most blowhard attention whores, leaving them to whither away in obscurity and away from the public eye (and be utterly helpless) would seem like hell on earth for two entitled manbabies.

NK is going to NK, unless it is an actual threat they think its better to act like it isn't a big deal.

Plus if it failed they not only give NK a huge victory but Russia as well.

They also like to capture the remains to study NK's abilities.

No because Kim doesn't know if he can do a credibly threaten blackmail (he'd assume the real possibility how ever small of a intercept and his destruction)

If an intercept fails I can't imagine a war doesn't start then, SK and Japan would completely be frightened and not believe the US would defend them (trading San Francisco for Seoul ?)

Deterrence. A test is a test, not war.

Un has the potential to be the most dangerous human being to ever exist, tbh the whole world should end him asap for the existence of humanity before he triggers an unwanted natural selection

Mao and Stalin were far more "dangerous"

Kim can't end humanity. Or kill more than a few million. China, the UK, France, US and Russia can.

People most certainly did care. I am old enough to remember people being livid and fighting tooth and nail to stop these kinda of tests. And eventually that opposition changed policy so it didn't happen anymore. The excuse that other governments made a shitty choices in the past isn't a blank check for current ones to do the same. You are supposed to learn from others mistakes, not use it an excuse to repeat them.

IF NK tests it will be not a very common thing, they don't gain anything but enmity because it would put others in far more danger. But rather as a back against the wall. See we can credibility threaten your cities with destruction

They don't really need to do atmospheric tests for any kind of data. Its seems to be more frustration with the fact the US keeps implying it still has aims to take out the regime.

Mao and Stalin were far more "dangerous"

Kim can't end humanity. Or kill more than a few million. China, the UK, France, US and Russia can.

starting that chain reaction is the problem every person alive has to worry about just as every citizen of his has to deal with unspeakable bullshit every day they're allowed to survive in it by him already

Steel

Banned
1) depends where it’s detonated. At sea or in the sea, and if it’s near landmass then winds play a part in spreading nuclear waste.
2) I’m a fish man. I live in the sea.

1. Yeah, if it's near a landmass it could be a problem.

2. Radiation won't kill you in water. The explosion on the other hand....

I don't see how a pacific test doesn't start a world crisis. What happens to the fallout which doesn't respect borders.

What if it goes over to China, to Japan, to the US

Also Kim faces issues if the test fails. My guess is this is a guam were they threating far worse than the already horrible provocation that amounts to the same thing that they will do.

s_mirage

I don't see how a pacific test doesn't start a world crisis. What happens to the fallout which doesn't respect borders.

What if it goes over to China, to Japan, to the US

Also Kim faces issues if the test fails.

It not just the fallout that's an issue. The US Pacific tests took place on atolls, something that NK can't do. Unless they've got one smuggled on a ship, they'd have to fire an armed nuke over Japan; the potential for disaster is massive.

To be honest, I'll be stunned if they actually go through with it. Like the threats against Guam, they'll come up with some excuse why they aren't going to do what they said they would.

JettDash

It would be perfectly rational for them to do this. If they can demonstrate they have a usable nuclear weapon, it decreases the likelihood of being attacked.

The US detonated freaking hydrogen bombs in the Pacific Ocean.

It would be perfectly rational for them to do this. If they can demonstrate they have a usable nuclear weapon, it decreases the likelihood of being attacked.

... Are you trying to justify NK setting of a nuke in the Pacific?

jstripes

Banned
If they are gonna blow it up in the ocean, at least get some good 4K cameras out there to get some footage of it. There hasn't been an non-underground test since the '90s. :p

It not just the fallout that's an issue. The US Pacific tests took place on atolls, something that NK can't do. Unless they've got one smuggled on a ship, they'd have to fire an armed nuke over Japan; the potential for disaster is massive.

To be honest, I'll be stunned if they actually go through with it. Like the threats against Guam, they'll come up with some excuse why they aren't going to do what they said they would.

Kim never said he would, the Foreign Minister said it was a possibility. Gives a perfect out

Well, it's not like they have to know. I'm sure the US military has had many fuck ups that the public is generally unaware of.

They would know

Madness

We had a good run fam.

u9gxyavtmcbhzcgcgqms.gif

0292b72eab269c7903683de6ae5ea4d4.gif

200w.gif

The US, France, Russia have long tested in water. The only difference here is, since the comprehensive test ban treaty, only a handful of countries have tested nuclear devices, all underground. This would be the first open air, non underground nuclear test in maybe 4+ decades.

Even bigger danger is, will it be missile based going over Japan, how big is the yield, radiation, what is the ecosystem like. I think this would be the straw that breaks the camels back for China. This would be so provocative for Japan, SK, Australia who knows. I think the South Koreans at one point are just going to say fuck it, issue an evacuation order for all citizens close to the NK border and ask the US to initiate regime change and pre-emptive strike. Not even India and Pakistan have done open air or ocean nuclear testing and they have flouted all rules as well.

There's a "rational reason" for it. But I think its hard to call it completely rational. It risks war more than any other non nuclear missile would. There's so much to lose from the NKs perspective.

There are other ways to continue to show deterrence

JettDash

... Are you trying to justify NK setting of a nuke in the Pacific?

I'm saying that it would be a rational move. Contrary to popular belief, Kim Jong Un is not a crazed nutjob. He's a scumbag who ruthlessly works in his own self interest.

There's a "rational reason" for it. But I think its hard to call it completely rational. It risks war more than any other non nuclear missile would. There's so much to lose from the NKs perspective.

There are other ways to continue to show deterrence

Look at it from their prospective. The US has no problem attacking countries that it considers rogue nations. And that's with leaders smarter than the current one. Only way to be sure it won't happen to you is to have usable nukes that the world knows about.

Well if they do, maybe target that plastic island of trash and actually help the planet while blowing it up?

There is no plastic island of trash. It's a myth. And for people thinking it'll make a difference to the water, it won't. The ocean is to massive for it to literally make any difference whatsoever.

u9gxyavtmcbhzcgcgqms.gif

The US, France, Russia have long tested in water. The only difference here is, since the comprehensive test ban treaty, only a handful of countries have tested nuclear devices, all underground. This would be the first open air, non underground nuclear test in maybe 4+ decades.

Even bigger danger is, will it be missile based going over Japan, how big is the yield, radiation, what is the ecosystem like. I think this would be the straw that breaks the camels back for China. This would be so provocative for Japan, SK, Australia who knows. I think the South Koreans at one point are just going to say fuck it, issue an evacuation order for all citizens close to the NK border and ask the US to initiate regime change and pre-emptive strike. Not even India and Pakistan have done open air or ocean nuclear testing and they have flouted all rules as well.

Nobody besides India, Pakistan and NK have tested nukes since the CTBT all underground nobody else has. I think your thinking of the PTBT which banned atmospheric tests, china did flout that in the 70s though.

PTBT was atmospheric ban
CTBT was an all ban

Now most tests uses computers (since all weapons states know their weapons work)

NK is the only one testing underground and maintains that it does this for the safety of fall out

I think this is why they hopefully wont. There'd be isolated forever. China hates these nuclear tests far more than the missile tests since it risks its citizens. If it happens during the communist parties conference???? Xi is, well, going to be very very angry.

I don't think its certain regime change comes though. But oil imports would likely stop and Kim might come to the table saying, deal with me as I am. I'll freeze, but I can retaliate

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

The US might not want to tip their hand and show the world what we can really do.

I'm saying that it would be a rational move. Contrary to popular belief, Kim Jong Un is not a crazed nutjob. He's a scumbag who ruthlessly works in his own self interest.

Look at it from their prospective. The US has no problem attacking countries that it considers rogue nations. And that's with leaders smarter than the current one. Only way to be sure it won't happen to you is to have usable nukes that the world knows about.

I agree NK is rational

I'm just not sold that an atmospheric test in this environment is rational. There are other ways to prove you have usable nukes that not have the risks for the regime.

Madness

Strapping your aunts husband to anti-aircraft artillery and blowing him to smithereens because you are worried he is undermining you, hiring Malaysian assassins to use VX nerve agent chemical gas to assassinate your half brother in a crowded airport for no real reason but because you have always felt inferior are not the actions of a rational but ruthless human being. He is a fat little emotional twat who has long had a temper and is buying into the same delusions as his father and grandfather that he is a god. I don't know why people think he is some machiavellian ruler. This is no Adolf Hitler, this is no Mao Zedong, this is no Genghis Khan, this is no Sultan Mehmed II who executed political, military,and cultural feats wiyh their tyranny. This is someone who was handed a brainwashed country on a silver platter.

If it wasn't for Trump, there would be so much anti-NK sentiment and anti-Kim Jong Un sentiment. But because of Trump, people are almost praising this shithead. People like Keith Ellison even say he's acting more rationally than Trump in a misspoken statement. Go on twitter and people are saying that Kim Jong Un seems more hinges than Trump. This guy is perhaps one of the most insane rulers I've seen. A fraction of the charisma Kim Il-Sung his grandfather had, a fraction of his military expertise. He also does not know how to politically maneouvre like his father Kim Jong-Il did who routinely took trips to Russia and China to secure aid by Train, had strategic alliances with Pakistan in secret.

JettDash

Strapping your aunts husband to anti-aircraft artillery and blowing him to smithereens because you are worried he is undermining you, hiring Malaysian assassins to use VX nerve agent chemical gas to assassinate your half brother in a crowded airport for no real reason but because you have always felt inferior are not the actions of a rational but ruthless human being. He is a fat little emotional twat who has long had a temper and is buying into the same delusions as his father and grandfather that he is a god. I don't know why people think he is some machiavellian ruler. This is no Adolf Hitler, this is no Mao Zedong, this is no Genghis Khan, this is no Sultan Mehmed II who executed political, military,and cultural feats wiyh their tyranny. This is someone who was handed a brainwashed country on a silver platter.

If it wasn't for Trump, there would be so much anti-NK sentiment and anti-Kim Jong Un sentiment. But because of Trump, people are almost praising this shithead. People like Keith Ellison even say he's acting more rationally than Trump in a misspoken statement. Go on twitter and people are saying that Kim Jong Un seems more hinges than Trump. This guy is perhaps one of the most insane rulers I've seen. A fraction of the charisma Kim Il-Sung his grandfather had, a fraction of his military expertise. He also does not know how to politically maneouvre like his father Kim Jong-Il did who routinely took trips to Russia and China to secure aid by Train, had strategic alliances with Pakistan in secret.

Ruthlessly getting rid of potential threats and consolidating power is extremely rational if you're an evil fuck who only cares about staying in power as long as possible.

Being evil and being irrational are not the same thing.

Ruthlessly getting rid of potential threats and consolidating power is extremely rational if you're an evil fuck who only cares about staying in power as long as possible.

Being evil and being irrational are not the same fhkng.
yeah and mao and stalin to some extent had messianic complexes too.

people who think theyre indispensable to the state tend to want the state to survive.

Also to many people forget that kim is different than his father who had a military first policy that lead to mass starvation’s, kim as reassertrd the party structure (political forces) and instituted a two pronged military (nukes) AND economic development strategy. Not just military first. This is extremely popular with the NK people. He’s also smartly imitating his more popular grandfathers looks and mannerisms.

Yes he’s ruthless with political opposition but this isn’t that dissimilar to old monarchical regimes in europe and in other places through out history. It seems bizzare that people can watch house of cards, and game of thrones or read history and see ruthless cruelty as rational (yes it’s fictional but it the logic of the system parallel in pointing out, given the rules it makes sense).

Kim’s actions are crimes against humanity and against every notion of decency but their not abnormal and taking them as representive of his geopolitical intention is not productive.

Top Bottom