• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch PC performance thread

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It looks like the graphical features pretty directly affect how it performs. I imagine most people with a relatively modern card will be able to get great frame rates as long as they are willing to turn down some settings.

Spinifex

Unoptimized games are the worst. No reason my R9 290 shouldn't be able to max this out, it isn't exactly a graphical powerhouse.

So frustrating

This obsession with 'maxxing' out really needs to be nipped in the bud. You'll be able to get excellent image quality with a mix of high / ultra settings and maintain 60fps, I'm certain.

Piggus

It looks like the graphical features pretty directly affect how it performs. I imagine most people with a relatively modern card will be able to get great frame rates as long as they are willing to turn down some settings.

Never.

Karak

This obsession with 'maxxing' out really needs to be nipped in the bud. You'll be able to get excellent image quality with a mix of high / ultra settings and maintain 60fps, I'm certain.

So to does the completely false belief that every title released currently offers reasons they can not be. Sway to strong to one side and it looks insane. There are a myriad of titles offering various spectrum of performance and internal development aims at specific architectures.

Piggus

The bigger problem is people who think a game is "unoptimized" if it can't maintain 60 fps while maxed out. Not all engines are the same, and some games push hardware more than others. Locking a game to 30 fps isn't the end of the world.

killroy87

Doesn't change the fact that I should be able to max the game out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't change the fact that I should be able to max the game out.

Based on what?

The bigger problem is people who think a game is "unoptimized" if it can't maintain 60 fps while maxed out. Not all engines are the same, and some games push hardware more than others. Locking a game to 30 fps isn't the end of the world.

Generally, I would rather turn some settings down and get a smoother frame rate. Especially in a first-person game with direct movement controls.

UnrealEck

Based on what?

Based on the graphics of the game.
Do you honestly think it's reasonable for a Radeon 290 to struggle with the graphics of Firewatch on Ultra?
I sure don't.

it'd be nice if people would acknowledge how a game looks to the eye and whether or not the performance it gets on certain hardware is reasonable or not.

23qwerty

Do you honestly think it's reasonable for a Radeon 290 to struggle with the graphics of Firewatch on Ultra?
I sure don't.

it'd be nice if people would acknowledge how a game looks to the eye and whether or not the performance it gets on certain hardware is reasonable or not.

The game is gorgeous

Spinifex

Is a 380 that bad? I just ordered one :/ (Not that i had many options, with the exchange rates in this country).

380 is an excellent budget card. Do not be swayed by 'ULTRA SETTINGS' benchmarks, you can tweak settings to maintain excellent IQ / effects and a high frame rate.

Game and UI have been tested on a 21:9 display a fair amount as I have one at home, and the QA guys played on one for the last couple months of production. The UI is intended to be responsive from 21:9 all the way down to 5:4 (eg: 1280x1024 displays if you really want to run it on your sick CRT from 1998). That said, if you see any strange behavior on 21:9 or wider please send them in and we will investigate them for a patch.

excellent, i'll go for the PC version then.

Landford

Banned
380 is an excellent budget card. Do not be swayed by 'ULTRA SETTINGS' benchmarks, you can tweak settings to maintain excellent IQ / effects and a high frame rate.

That relieves me a bit. I was managing to get some pretty good qualities with my HD 7850, but wasnt really cutting it anymore. By the benchmark, i should be able to get a locked 30's in the Ultra, right?

Rizzi

I'm guessing this doesn't unlock early in other regions? Can't seem to get a VPN working

Oh lol they made Australian unlock time at 5am. That's shitty

*cough* bullshit *cough*

That's when most games unlock on steam for us though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I sure don't.

I think the game looks pretty damn fantastic.

At the same time, I haven't played it, so I have no idea what it's like in the game outside of the few videos I've watched. I don't know what it's rendering on screen. I don't know how bad stuff like pop-in, etc. is.

Just because it takes a stylized look does not mean it isn't doing some intensive processing.

I thought Campo Santo were cool enough to understand the importance of a midnight release, but their excuse is extra lame.

I would have loved to play it at 9PM PST (my time zone), but how is their excuse lame? This is the first game for them as a studio. Their first release. If it comes out broken for a large number of people because of something they overlooked and they don't respond until their morning, that would be a huge problem for them. Instead, they can be in the office when it launches and actively respond to anything that may come up as it happens.

Considering it's a global release, the timing is always going to suck somewhere in the world.

Well, no matter what time the game releases there will be enough demand that they won't be responsive enough for most people and I think they end up upsetting more people by not letting the late nighters start playing it early.

Look at Xcom2. The game still runs like crap and still gets great reception from fans and critics.

I thought Campo Santo were cool enough to understand the importance of a midnight release, but their excuse is extra lame.

bestpersonevar...
74200-Not-Sure-Fry-meme-gif-Flanders-5NyZ.gif

23qwerty

3 unoptimized PC games in a row.

Rise of the Tomb Raider, XCOM 2 and now this.

This is getting out of hand. And by this I mean calling everything unoptimized. We don't even know this is unoptimized yet. We have benchmarks for some card that was good but not great over 2 years ago.

edit: Woops was thinking of the 290, but my point remains mostly

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
3 unoptimized PC games in a row.

Rise of the Tomb Raider, XCOM 2 and now this.

What in the world @ Rise of the Tomb Raider. The game seems amazingly well put together on PC.

XCOM 2 looks and runs great for me, too, but I understand some people are seeing major issues.

Finaika

What in the world @ Rise of the Tomb Raider. The game seems amazingly well put together on PC.

XCOM 2 looks and runs great for me, too, but I understand some people are seeing major issues.

I can't max it on my 5960X + Titan X SLI.

jtar86

Any benchmarks of this running on the Core i3 Alienware Alpha?
I'll post something here in the morning. Curious to see how it goes. I haven't really had trouble running anything so I can't imagine it won't at least run at 30fps.

Goronmon

Neo Member
This is getting out of hand. And by this I mean calling everything unoptimized. We don't even know this is unoptimized yet. We have benchmarks for some card that was good but not great over 2 years ago.
I thought the internet decided a year or two ago that every video game is terrible now? Now I'm really confused.

elohel

I thought this game was gonna be an easy 60fps on my PC.

Guess Unity is to blame

Always has been always will be apparently :/

It was acceptable when it was Mac exclusive as, poor performance was remarkable in comparison to all other gaming at the time and eventually it ran pretty okay(but still caused fans to kick in)

I haven't seen much change and this was ages ago which is why I stopped following most unity stuff; it became so bloated and performance has only been touched in like 2 updates as major major changes

I'm probably wrong though lol who's been following this more I'm curious

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Your card's over 2 years old

Need to jump in here. Yeah, the 290 might be over 2 years old but it's not bad. There isn't much difference between a 290 and a 390. My 290 can easily run 1080p 60fps with at least high settings on games like GTA V, The Witcher 3, Battlefront, and even Fallout 4 (most performance issues are due to Bethesda's ancient engine).

So why on earth is it such a crazy thought to Max out Firewatch at 1080p 60fps? The game looks amazing but really shouldn't be anywhere near as intensive as the likes of previous games mentioned. If it can't do 1080p 60fps then most likely it's gonna be because of the engine used or the skill of the developers.

Tubie

Oh wow those frame jumps on the OP images seem crazy.

I hope my 970 gets a better average than that 380 used in those images.

I was going to get it on PS4 but with performance issues plus wanting to support Mac development has me leaning towards the PC version. Anyone know how a R9 M370X compares to the benchmark video card?

Samaritan

Never thought I'd be worried of running this game 60/1080 on my 980Ti. Didn't really expect this would be the kind of game to push a top end GPU.

GHG

Unoptimized games are the worst. No reason my R9 290 shouldn't be able to max this out, it isn't exactly a graphical powerhouse.

So frustrating

No. Unoptimised posts like this are the worst.

Unless you actually know and understand what is going on under the hood of a game you cannot sit back in your armchair and say "well this looks unoptimised" or "it doesn't look like anything special, I should be able to max this out".

inner-G

Banned
Probably won't run it at a smooth 60, but if you have G-sync I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm planning to run it at 1440 on my 970 at high settings and I don't foresee any real problems.
I don't have a g-sync display, maybe I should look into one.

Maybe I'll lock it to 30, I just don't like when the framerate jumps around

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I can't max it on my 5960X + Titan X SLI.

Tomb Raider?

I don't understand why not, unless you're talking about 4K resolutions and super high end AA solutions.

I'm well over 60 fps for most of the 5 hours or so I've played and I'm running a 2500k and a 970, but at 1920x1080. Everything is maxed out except AA, which is set to just FXAA.

XCOM2 is a similar story, but it drops into the 40s during the loadout screen before a mission.

Piggus

edit: Woops was thinking of the 290, but my point remains mostly

It should also be pointed out that this game was made by 10 people. TEN.

And even if you have to lock framerate to 30, is that really going to hamper one's enjoyment of a game like this? I really hope not. It's not some twitchy FPS or third person action game.

Top Bottom