• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buzzfeed: How Accusing A Powerful Man of Rape Drove A College Student To Suicide

TUSCALOOSA, Alabama — Megan Rondini's friends and family remember her as having an ironclad sense of right and wrong. Her childhood nickname was ”Rules Rondini" because she was such a principled board game player. As an honors student at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Megan offered rides to drunk girls walking alone at night, even after one threw up in her backseat.
No one was there to help Megan when she found herself in that very situation one night in July 2015, except for a well-to-do businessman Megan knew only as ”Sweet T." The 34-year-old later told authorities he offered 20-year-old Megan a ride home because he and a friend saw her leaving downtown Tuscaloosa alone.
Under Alabama's archaic rape law, victims must prove they ”earnestly" resisted their attackers, and the investigator who interviewed Megan quickly decided she hadn't fought back against Bunn — she hadn't ”kicked him or hit him," he explained. His investigation would conclude that no rape occurred. But he didn't stop there. Instead, he started building a case against Megan, questioning her for multiple crimes she wasn't even aware she had committed.

In the fall, a therapist diagnosed Megan with post-traumatic stress disorder, noting that she had no previous reported history of mental health issues. ... Megan assumed the University of Alabama would support her and help her figure out how to move on, even if she couldn't take Bunn to court. Instead, the institution she loved made her feel even more alone. (UA declined to discuss the situation, citing the ”interest of protecting the deceased student's privacy.")

”When all is said and done, I wonder what I could've accomplished if one man didn't completely rip everything away from me," Megan texted a friend in February 2016. Two days later, she hanged herself.

Main points:

- Megan, an honors student at the University of Alabama, was sexually assaulted and raped on a July 2015 night.
- A 6-month investigation ensued, in which she was unsuccessful.
- The University was unwilling to help her because the man who raped her has reputation.
- Meanwhile, Megan was diagnosed with post-traumatic disorder. She moved back home in Texas, transferring from UA in the process.
- She killed herself shortly thereafter, in late February 2016.

As a UA alum myself, this feels very personal to me. I'm completely disappointed and disgusted by everything that transpired here.

Full Story

Much more information in the main article.

RIP, Megan. We failed you.

he started building a case against Megan, questioning her for multiple crimes she wasn’t even aware she had committed.
This seems pretty standard now, doesn't it? Like, I swear the last time I saw a black guy who got killed by police someone pops up with 'he smoked a spliff one time in 1998 though! He wasn't all perfect!'

Its kind of this admonishing of character where you flip the script to something they may have done once or twice which would destroy a veneer of angelicism for practically no reason.

Bloody fucking disgusting.

RIP Megan, hopefully this stops such pathetic crap from happening again.

Unfortunately, it won't. Rape victims will continue to be disrespected and demonized by people, especially if the rapist is rich and powerful, or if he was some fucking tv personality.

Chuckie

Under Alabama’s archaic rape law, victims must prove they “earnestly” resisted their attackers, and the investigator who interviewed Megan quickly decided she hadn’t fought back against Bunn — she hadn’t “kicked him or hit him," he explained.

This is so fucked up. So if you are paralysed by fear...or don't use violence because you are afraid the rapist actually might become more violent it actually means you aren't raped according to Alabama's law?

How are places like Alabama or these weird US states allowed to get away with such bizarre ancient anti women laws?

2000px-Republicanlogo.svg.png

PillarEN

This is so fucked up. So if you are paralysed by fear...or don't use violence because you are afraid the rapist actually might become more violent it actually means you aren't raped according to Alabama's law?

Yes this was a big thing that stuck out in the article. Regardless of everything else, the actual law in the state is botched which causes an issue even if you accused a nobody.

How are places like Alabama or these weird US states allowed to get away with such bizarre ancient anti women laws?

Because they're byproducts of a shitty legal system that can get terrible when it comes to semantics and specifics. And because every time someone tries to change them, the bills die in committee for one reason or another. For example, read today that in North Carolina a woman can't revoke consent after consensual sex has started, and a bill to fix that died in committee in 2015 and will probably die in committee this year.

And this is exactly why rape victims are scared to come forward. I really hope we see some progress about this stuff, so the people who need help after such a terrible crime is committed to them can get the necessary help and justice.

13ruce

Banned
The fuck....
RIP, i hope that guy gets what he deserves the fuck is wrong with usa cops?

Edit: and giving her a ptsd label wat? This is insane are they anti women there in that city/state?

duckroll

Well, when you are the son of a rich and influential family in a small community, you can do whatever you want. That's just how it is. Who's going to stop him? Batman?

FStubbs

Because they're byproducts of a shitty legal system that can get terrible when it comes to semantics and specifics. And because every time someone tries to change them, the bills die in committee for one reason or another. For example, read today that in North Carolina a woman can't revoke consent after consensual sex has started, and a bill to fix that died in committee in 2015 and will probably die in committee this year.

I know how to get that bill to pass.

One of these nuts goes to have sex with a woman, only to discover the woman is trans and he's got a big ole sausage pointing up at him. But hey, he already gave consent so the trans woman keeps things going.

I know how to get that bill to pass.

One of these nuts goes to have sex with a woman, only to discover the woman is trans and he's got a big ole sausage pointing up at him. But hey, he already gave consent so the trans woman keeps things going.

o_O

How about we don't make trans panic jokes.

Zelias

Banned
This shit makes my blood boil. It isn't rape unless you fight back? What the actual fuck?

RIP to this poor girl.

pastrami

This shit makes my blood boil. It isn't rape unless you fight back? What the actual fuck?

RIP to this poor girl.

Remember when a congressman said this: “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

People's views on rape are completely fucked up.

Once a friend of mine was telling me she couldn't stop the person who forced her to have sex witt him because he was choking her and if she was guilty for not being able to stop it... This fucking shit is so deeply rooted in the society that even some victims end up accepting it. Horrible and disgusting. RIP

MsKrisp

Once a friend of mine was telling me she couldn't stop the person who forced her to have sex witt him because he was choking her and if she was guilty for not being able to stop it... This fucking shit is so deeply rooted in the society that even some victims end up accepting it. Horrible and disgusting. RIP

That's horrible! All of these things are horrible!

wtf are you supposed to do with a gun to your head? It just makes me so sad and angry :/

Bloody fucking disgusting.

RIP Megan, hopefully this stops such pathetic crap from happening again.

Sadly, it will not. Stories like this happen all the time, but unless the powerful person is a celebrity, it'll get no attention. On top of that, even if it were a celebrity, the victim would feel even more alone.

ShyMel

This is such a sad read. Megan and thousands of other women have been violated and instead of receiving the medical treatment and justice they deserve, they have had their character question by police, judges, and the public. Women and girls have been ran out of the towns they live in for trying to get their rapists to stand trial.

Reading about T.J. Bunn Jr., her alleged abuser, he seems like a genuinely awful person who was used to being above the law thanks to his family's influence and legal prowess.

After a 2013 DUI arrest:
Bunn sued the director of the Alabama Department of Public Safety after his driving privileges were taken away, claiming he would “suffer irreparable harm” if his license was suspended because he would be “unable to drive to work and will lose his job” at his family’s company. Bunn got his license back.

I hope he's still human enough to feel guilt now that this girl's life has been lost due to his vile actions. Sadly, people like him tend to have a deficit of empathy.

TimmmV

Tuscaloosa - where police care more about taking $3 from a millionaire then whether a collage girl was raped

Horrible to read that. That poor woman :(

RIP

Muzy72

Banned
Reading about T.J. Bunn Jr., her alleged abuser, he seems like a genuinely awful person who was used to being above the law thanks to his family's influence and legal prowess.

After a 2013 DUI arrest:

I hope he's still human enough to feel guilt now that this girl's life has been lost due to his vile actions. Sadly, people like him tend to have a deficit of empathy.
if he's scum enough to rape someone, I can't imagine he'd feel anything after she killed herself.

What an awful story. Fuck these backwards ass states with their archaic laws.

if he's scum enough to rape someone, I can't imagine he'd feel anything after she killed herself.

What an awful story. Fuck these backwards ass states with their archaic laws.

Not necessarily. It's pretty common for rapists to wrongly believe that lack of resistance equates to consent. I doubt that this man received much in the way of sexual abuse education, and I'm absolutely certain that people like him do not believe they are rapists.
"She let me fuck her, and now she's saying I raped her? Bullshit!" is the likely frame of mind.

Again, this is why we really need mandatory sex education from a very early age. Kids should be learning about consent, "good touch, bad touch," the bathing suit area, etc from second grade onward. The fact is, amazingly enough, that an immense number of people simply do not know right from wrong when it comes to abuse.

If we aren't clearly defining the boundaries to kids, we share the blame when they become irresponsible adults.

This is such a sad read. Megan and thousands of other women have been violated and instead of receiving the medical treatment and justice they deserve, they have had their character question by police, judges, and the public. Women and girls have been ran out of the towns they live in for trying to get their rapists to stand trial.
No wonder most rape incidents aren't even reported. Now that I think about it, if I was in their shoes, I'd think twice before reporting. The 'system' is against you.

Just one of the many reasons we need feminism.

Apharmd

What the fuck.

Like, I know this is a thing and I know that this is why girls don't report rapes or sexual assaults but this affirmation of our country being for the rich, by the rich?

Fuck.

Ozigizo

After a 2013 DUI arrest:

And from her description, it sounds like he drugged her. (Blackout after 1 beer that he bought.) The hospital failed to run tests.

Everyone failed her. This story is difficult to read.

I can only imagine how that must feel.

Not only to be raped, but to sacrifice your time, effort, privacy, and reputation to seek justice only for it all to fail must be devastating.

And from her description, it sounds like he drugged her. (Blackout after 1 beer that he bought.) The hospital failed to run tests.

Everyone failed her. This story is difficult to read.
I felt really disgusted reading through it. It's like there was no way for her to win no matter how she tried. Everything seemed to be working against her.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck Universities. Archaic institutions more interested in making money and protecting themselves than fostering and educating students.

gaiages

Banned
The fuck....
RIP, i hope that guy gets what he deserves the fuck is wrong with usa cops?

Edit: and giving her a ptsd label wat? This is insane are they anti women there in that city/state?

??? to the edit

PTSD isn't an anti-women mental illness diagnosis. She had something traumatic happen and it affected her mentally, that's what PTSD is... It's not a label, it's a legitimate mental illness...

Mr Git

Horrendous. The university fucked up, they're meant to protect and stand up for their students. Fuck that cunt's reputation.

Jesus Christ 'murica......

And for the poor girl core of the topic.. shame on you 'murica..
When I was young, America had always been depicted as the land of dream, as the land of equal opportunity, of civil rights, as the land where hard work can achieve you what birthright has not given you...
I've been long made aware of how distant that is from reality and I'm happy to have stayed in Europe...

Top Bottom