• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe |OT| Ninjas Play Free - PS4

Started playing again after a 3 year absence.
Doesn't feel like much has changed.
YvPLZW1.gif

Got that honor of the Lotus thing that gives you a 50% off discount in the market. Doesn't work with slots though and I just bought a color palette last night after holding off spending platinum since I started playing.
Dang.

Lol wut!?!

Fine, they added raid, syndicates, trader and more quests (ship and archwing was already there 2014-2015.)

However, the enemy race, environment/dojo, what is meta (utility based frame,EV trinity, corrosive projection) really hasn't changed that much. I was expecting brand new planets, new enemies and my frames becoming mostly obsolete, like Destiny vanilla -> Destiny Taken King level of change.

Which is a good thing.....cause Ember Prime set now selling for 500p+? lol.

However, the enemy race, environment/dojo, what is meta (utility based frame,EV trinity, corrosive projection) really hasn't changed that much. I was expecting brand new planets, new enemies and my frames becoming mostly obsolete, like Destiny vanilla -> Destiny Taken King level of change.
DE redid the tilesets on several planets and they added Lua and the Kuva Fortress as new destinations, along with the Plains of Eidolon landscape and Cetus relay on PC and soon to consoles. There are also new enemy types, mission types, as well as cinematic quests (The Second Dream and War Within being major ones) and new or redone tilesets to utilize them. They introduced Warframe augments to change up builds, added passive abilities and an Eximus utility slot to Warframes, Riven cards to buff lesser used weaponry, the Relic system which completely changes the Prime parts hunt, a Focus system and daily Sorties for endgame, and simplified Mod fusion dramatically by transforming it to Endo. Pretty sure they added named loadouts and redid the star map too post-2015 and added junctions and a linear path throughout to help new players - which is kindof reminiscent of the much older starmap.

Besides that every system in the game has gotten touched and retouched, from UI to graphics, to audio and animations, as well as a host of new weapon types, melee stances and cosmetic customizations like Deluxe skins and Tennogen.

And that's just off the top of my head. The Taken King's got nothing on this. But maybe, at first glance on the ship some of this stuff isn't immediately apparent.

Sorry if I sound too incredulous but reading that line is bonkers sauce if you've been around to see all the changes.

frizby

Taken king levels of change...

Reskinned enemies and nerfed gear is super innovative I guess.

The things that were good have rightly stayed the same or have only been tweaked slightly. Everything else has been expanded or improved massively...much of which is described by null.

To be fair, I do think the old frames are still the best, but there must be at least a dozen new frames over that time along with significant reworks for existing frames.

The Giant Bomb look of the game in 2013 posted earlier in the thread makes Warframe seem like an entirely different game mechanically from what it was. Before it looked like a really unfun cover shooter without any real cover shooting mechanics and souls like stamina. Now it's more acrobatic with fast-flowing combat without any stamina weighing you down. I only started playing November of last year but from what I've seen it's a totally different experience these days.

IvorB

One of the things that's really striking me playing this again is the audio. I don't know if it has improved or always like this but it really is on point. The guns and melee hits sound meaty and amazing. Everything sounds great. I played the beta for that Star Wars game the other day and I honestly can't believe how much better this game sounds.

Anyways, I'm not sure I'm feeling Chroma that much. He's a bit too defensive for what I'm looking for right now. Not planing to sell him but don't think he's getting a potato either. Should be onto Nezha soon and a new Stravadar to go with it.

My building spree is starting to catch up with me though as I don't have enough plastids for Wukong :(. Really regret wasting so many of them making fieldron for the stupid Lanka. Also low on credits.

DE redid the tilesets on several planets and they added Lua and the Kuva Fortress as new destinations, along with the Plains of Eidolon landscape and Cetus relay on PC and soon to consoles. There are also new enemy types, mission types, as well as cinematic quests (The Second Dream and War Within being major ones) and new or redone tilesets to utilize them. They introduced Warframe augments to change up builds, added passive abilities and an Eximus utility slot to Warframes, Riven cards to buff lesser used weaponry, the Relic system which completely changes the Prime parts hunt, a Focus system and daily Sorties for endgame, and simplified Mod fusion dramatically by transforming it to Endo. Pretty sure they added named loadouts and redid the star map too post-2015 and added junctions and a linear path throughout to help new players - which is kindof reminiscent of the much older starmap.

Besides that every system in the game has gotten touched and retouched, from UI to graphics, to audio and animations, as well as a host of new weapon types, melee stances and cosmetic customizations like Deluxe skins and Tennogen.

And that's just off the top of my head. The Taken King's got nothing on this. But maybe, at first glance on the ship some of this stuff isn't immediately apparent.

Sorry if I sound too incredulous but reading that line is bonkers sauce if you've been around to see all the changes.

Taken king levels of change...

Reskinned enemies and nerfed gear is super innovative I guess.

The things that were good have rightly stayed the same or have only been tweaked slightly. Everything else has been expanded or improved massively...much of which is described by null.

To be fair, I do think the old frames are still the best, but there must be at least a dozen new frames over that time along with significant reworks for existing frames.

lol, I apologize for starting an unintended Destiny vs. Warframe debate.

So to clarify my point:

When returning to online/F2P games after being away for so long, expanded loot tables and grind is generally within my expectations (I know it too well as a F2P whale). So the addition of Focus/Riven wasn't anything that wowed me or felt "different". They are still items that compliment but isn't essential or dramatically change the core game play experience. It would be nice if augment mods give new abilities as oppose to enhancements to existing ones.

When I say "different", my hope was for changes that were more visible to the world (new faction/race, tilesets), gameplay mechanics or meta (move away from energy issues...). For example, when void/derelict was introduce around update 8.0, that was a new environment that felt exclusively end-game and interesting to explore. So I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed to see 3 years later most of the rng loot grind is still in the same environments. The rework on existing tilesets are nice, but a grineer corridor is still a grineer corridor...

So in that sense, the changes that did feel different were the QoL items. The Bazaar for trading, kiosk to turn in unused prime blueprints, etc and significant changes to frame abilities (e.g. Mag)..

In part, it is also more of a timing issue. I left shortly after derelict, the ship, archwing, pets and the other more visible changes were introduced. Of course I wouldn't say the same if I returned after PoE lands on consoles.

:lol at saying not much has changed in three years. Just started playing after 1.5 again and it's leagues different. Suppose you'll see what you want to. Certainly better than the trash Destiny 2 has going for it.

Finally uninstalled that after seeing Bungie's idea of a "fun" encounter for a prestige encounter after 2 years was more enemies with more health. Only challenge there is lack of heavy.

That said, the update next month should be closer to what you're looking for.

Also, do we not get Primed mods from the void trader or is it entirely random?

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Baro usually has primed mods but his inventory is different every time. We're like 3 or 4 visits behind PC I think so you can know what he's bringing ahead of time.

After taking a break from D2 until the next expansion this game is hitting all the right spots for me. Its come a long way from 2014 when I first played it, I am still making my way through the earth missions. Good times.

arimanius

Yup. You’ll have to earn or buy plat. It’s the only thing you should spend starter or ps plus plat on.

Luckily, earning enough plat on the market to keep yourself in slots should be easy, and for now deleting frames you don’t care for that have prime versions should clear some space.

Ok cool. I'll have to check out the market and see what's the best way to make some plat.

After taking a break from D2 until the next expansion this game is hitting all the right spots for me. Its come a long way from 2014 when I first played it, I am still making my way through the earth missions. Good times.

Amen. This game has its hooks in me the way I thought D2 would.

bobohoro

How difficult is Lephantis solo? Just from reading the wiki it sounds like a nightmare.

You're on Pluto too?
Those two junctions kinda turned me off the game a bit. Which is probably a good thing, since I'm only halfway through Ys 8, have Yakuza Kiwami still untouched and bought Wolfenstein TNO in a recent sale.

That said, I've read up on those LUA challenge rooms and crafted a few Derelict keys, so I'll try that once more when I'm in the mood. Also got Loki, Trinity and Rhino in the foundry and am close to crafting Chroma, so I have quite a few things to try out in the near future.

VariantX

How difficult is Lephantis solo? Just from reading the wiki it sounds like a nightmare.

Hes not really that difficult if you've got a hard hitting weapon and a tanky frame. Inaros and any decently modded shotgun can make very short work of Lephantis provided the game doesn't run into a weird bug or something.

frizby

Like most bosses, Nova makes Lephantis a breeze.

If you’re ever having trouble with a junction, Excalibur’s Radial Blind makes them pretty trivial.

Like most bosses, Nova makes Lephantis a breeze.

If you’re ever having trouble with a junction, Excalibur’s Radial Blind makes them pretty trivial.

What specifically about Nova is so good?
Her 4th ability is really good but I could never find a use for any of her others.

VariantX

Nova's #1 provides 5% damage reduction for each particle that you have out.
#2 can clear everything from a minimum of 15 meters around when you pair it with something like a shot gun and shoot the antimatter balls until they visibly transform. You can also control them by aiming your crosshair to where you want it to go. If you have already cast her #4 and primed everything around, you can easily do 6 digit damage on every primed target.
#3 is the fastest movement ability in the game as you can instantly be 50m away per cast so 3 casts in rapid succession will have you 150m away within 2 seconds

Nova's a rare case where every single one of her abilities are good. She can clear rooms and make tough situations far more manageable. She makes sentients a breeze too.

bobohoro

After 3 groups being a dud in a row, I got one for Hieracon going for quite a few cycles through the reward table. Was fun and got me my first split chamber. Upgraded it to rank 4 and put it in my Soma Prime. That's a rather serious improvement in terms of damage output, sheesh.
I think I might try my hand at forma-ing stuff with the Soma as well. Feels like that gun can last me a while, thanks in part also to coming with a catalyst included.
Right now I'm unsure if it is worth it going max rank on mods that end on an uneven number. With the correct polarity you would actually lose a bit of efficiency there, am I wrong? I guess that's not important if you put a few Forma in and minmax stuff, but until then I'm better off leaving my high drain mods at even cost, right?

frizby

What specifically about Nova is so good?
Her 4th ability is really good but I could never find a use for any of her others.

Nova's #1 provides 5% damage reduction for each particle that you have out.
#2 can clear everything from a minimum of 15 meters around when you pair it with something like a shot gun and shoot the antimatter balls until they visibly transform. You can also control them by aiming your crosshair to where you want it to go. If you have already cast her #4 and primed everything around, you can easily do 6 digit damage on every primed target.
#3 is the fastest movement ability in the game as you can instantly be 50m away per cast so 3 casts in rapid succession will have you 150m away within 2 seconds

Nova's a rare case where every single one of her abilities are good. She can clear rooms and make tough situations far more manageable. She makes sentients a breeze too.

Everything he said. Nova remains my favorite frame, even after all these years. Loki is still a little more OP, but Nova is just too fun to play.

Molecular Prime: Give her a ton of duration and +45 power strength, and prime will cover huge areas and simultaneously provide both a massive enemy debuff (slows them 75% including targeting, reload and fire rate) and a massive ally buff (enemies take more damage). It breaks probably 95% of the game and nearly every boss. Just never use it in defense (slows waves too much).

Nullstar: Gives up to 80% damage reduction and is cheap to cast. They also act as sort of an enemy radar. Just keep em on at all times.

Wormhole: The fastest speed boost in the game. Even moreso with the augment mod.

Antimatter Drop: Remains effective against high level enemies long after most powers and guns have faded into worthlessness. Use it up close against primed enemies, pop it once with a shotty before it hits, and watch the comical numbers. I find steering it from afar a bit too cumbersome in most cases.

Silvard

So I'm looking to play Warframe again guys, it's been over a year since I last played, I don't even remember how long to be honest. I am almost completely lost.

Fusion is now done with Endo? That's a welcome change. Should I just destroy all my duplicates or is there any reason why I wouldn't want to do that? Is there a way I can do that easily?

What are the newest activities/mechanics/content/changes that have been added to the game? I think last time I played was when Archwings were added to PS4 or thereabouts, IIRC.

Can you trade completed Prime frames/equipment? What are riven mods and should I care? Is there a GAF clan and how can I get an invite to it?

What's the best way to use a 50% discount from the daily rewards?

frizby

So I'm looking to play Warframe again guys, it's been over a year since I last played, I don't even remember how long to be honest. I am almost completely lost.

Fusion is now done with Endo? That's a welcome change. Should I just destroy all my duplicates or is there any reason why I wouldn't want to do that? Is there a way I can do that easily?

What are the newest activities/mechanics/content/changes that have been added to the game? I think last time I played was when Archwings were added to PS4 or thereabouts, IIRC.

Can you trade completed Prime frames/equipment? What are riven mods and should I care? Is there a GAF clan and how can I get an invite to it?

What's the best way to use a 50% discount from the daily rewards?

Endo: Yup, and no reason to not dissolve duplicates. You can sort mods by duplicates and pick a quantity.

New stuff: Not sure how far you were in the game, but probably start with the quests (Natah, Second Dream, War Within). They're good and will give you access to daily sorties, which can earn you enough platinum to keep you in slots and such. Also pick your syndicates. And pick "Zenurik" at the end of Second Dream.

Only prime parts can be traded. Rivens are usually full of dissapointment but can be very very good. I sell mine veiled *unopened" at a modest price.

I remember you being in the GAF clan before. Happy to reinvite you. Edit: Sent

Coupons are probably best used on cosmetics since they can't be used for slots. Maybe look at some armor pieces. I'd suggest the Riv Elite or Avia shoulder armor. Be sure to pick up the halloween color pack for 1 credit.

IvorB

After 3 groups being a dud in a row, I got one for Hieracon going for quite a few cycles through the reward table. Was fun and got me my first split chamber. Upgraded it to rank 4 and put it in my Soma Prime. That's a rather serious improvement in terms of damage output, sheesh.
I think I might try my hand at forma-ing stuff with the Soma as well. Feels like that gun can last me a while, thanks in part also to coming with a catalyst included.
Right now I'm unsure if it is worth it going max rank on mods that end on an uneven number. With the correct polarity you would actually lose a bit of efficiency there, am I wrong? I guess that's not important if you put a few Forma in and minmax stuff, but until then I'm better off leaving my high drain mods at even cost, right?

Depends on the mod probably. I'm not sure that one point of drain you would preserve would net you as much gain anywhere else than on a Serration or Split Chamber but I could be wrong.

Nezha is definitely a lot easier on the eye that Chroma:

On the quest for Inaros now.

frizby

Took a break from playing and looks like I was booted from clan, any chance I can get another invite?

PSN: BigDawg1009

Invite pending along with one for SilvardCT. Apologies for the kick. With the clan being so full, it's tough to give lower MR level members a lot of slack in terms of time offline, but we're always happy to pull you back in when you're ready to play.

For everyone, I suggest logging in at least every few weeks, as I anticipate demand going up leading into PoE. Clan is currently full, but I can usually make a space if needed.

Silvard

Endo: Yup, and no reason to not dissolve duplicates. You can sort mods by duplicates and pick a quantity.

New stuff: Not sure how far you were in the game, but probably start with the quests (Natah, Second Dream, War Within). They're good and will give you access to daily sorties, which can earn you enough platinum to keep you in slots and such. Also pick your syndicates. And pick "Zenurik" at the end of Second Dream.

Only prime parts can be traded. Rivens are usually full of dissapointment but can be very very good. I sell mine veiled *unopened" at a modest price.

I remember you being in the GAF clan before. Happy to reinvite you. Edit: Sent

Coupons are probably best used on cosmetics since they can't be used for slots. Maybe look at some armor pieces. I'd suggest the Riv Elite or Avia shoulder armor. Be sure to pick up the halloween color pack for 1 credit.

Thanks a lot for the re-invite!

I believe I've done up to the Second Dream, though I don't remember what school thing I picked. I need to unlock the Pluto junction still to access War Within IIRC.

I wish there was a way to progress your MR without having to constantly switch equipment. There are warframes and weapons I really like but feel compelled to drop once I cap them once. How do you guys balance things?

Spent some time in the trading chat...I'm so glad I have Nyx, Loki, Rhino and Ember Prime from way back when, their prices are insane.

frizby

Hey, we're up!

I don't really have a firm plan for how the NeoGAF clan will be handling this latest outrage, but I'm at least working a plan B for a new logo and clan name if it comes to that.

For the logo, I was thinking something symbolic like a phoenix...the presumption at the time being that GAF might be ashes...or that some members might be too offended to stay with the name and emblem. Here's the one I was looking at. It's public domain, so it shouldn't have any copyright issues, and I already shrunk it and cleaned up the right side.

phoenix_png_by_sniper2222-d49x4yf.png

As for the name, I'm totally open to suggestions, but I was thinking of something with similar symbolism. I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear suggestions. The most interesting idea I've heard that wasn't mine was NeoRez or NeoReset from Briarios with nods to our past...and maybe our future? Most of my ideas were forum neutral and tied more to themes of resurrection and independence.

The cost for name change is 200p and the cost for new emblem is 150p. I may or may not be able to use clan funds (we have about 2K).

Again, this is all plan B. My first instinct is always to be a little patient and see how things play out.

Edit: Oh, and if GAF takes a dump again, remember that the clan has a PSN community where we are discussing our plans going forward. Just follow the one community on my PSN profile (frizby). Ty.

Looks like a fighting rooster.

Anyway, looks like it will take a while to gaf to recover from this mess, its your call Frizby, I sincerely want to wait and see

Rafy

Should see if warframe's PC group has a discord and if they'd be kind enough to create a room for PS4 players.

Yeah this. I don't plan on sticking around GAF much longer (not gonna account suicide or anything though) and I'd like to keep up with y'all.

Hey guys, PC clan here. I've PM'ed frizby and I am waiting to hear back. If you see him in game, make sure to let him know.

I'd love for us to work something out.

I'm a new player still trying to get into the game would also like an invite to the discord, I know I'm not exactly high on the priority list so just let me know whenever.

Just chiming in to say I'd love to get in on a discord if one pops up. Haven't been on Warframe much lately with Destiny and some other stuff out, other than to log on to get my daily reward and not get kicked (lol) but I'd love to remain a part of the Gaf (or whatever its name may change to) clan. Especially with Plains of Eidolon right around the corner.

Hate to see this place falling apart, but I guess it's not unexpected :/

just started this game. how do you unlock new weapons, armors, warframes?

The three primary "loots" to go for in the game are warframes, weapons and mods. Mods are what dictate your stats, ability specializations and "armor". Any visible armor item you see are just cosmetic (farm from game alerts or purchase from market.)

Standard warframes/weapons can be obtained through rng loot tables of specific bosses/mission or by completing quest(s). Prime warframes/weapons (fancier versions with small upgrade) can be obtained from void fissure missions or other end game content.

Mods are obtained through rng enemy drops, quests, puzzle rooms or by completing special mission types such as nightmare, derelict vaults, sorties, alerts.

Weapon and mods can also be obtained through also syndicate (faction) standing trade ins.

Most the above...of course can be bought by $$$.

TL;DR: Read the wiki.

bigJP

The three primary "loots" to go for in the game are warframes, weapons and mods. Mods are what dictate your stats, ability specializations and "armor". Any visible armor item you see are just cosmetic (farm from game alerts or purchase from market.)

Standard warframes/weapons can be obtained through rng loot tables of specific bosses/mission or by completing quest(s). Prime warframes/weapons (fancier versions with small upgrade) can be obtained from void fissure missions or other end game content.

Mods are obtained through rng enemy drops, quests, puzzle rooms or by completing special mission types such as nightmare, derelict vaults, sorties, alerts.

Weapon and mods can also be obtained through also syndicate (faction) standing trade ins.

Most the above...of course can be bought by $$$.

TL;DR: Read the wiki.

thx

just started the game, wanted to make sure i didnt have to buy to get weapons and stuff

frizby

Hey guys, PC clan here. I've PM'ed frizby and I am waiting to hear back. If you see him in game, make sure to let him know.

I'd love for us to work something out.

Just chiming in to say I'd love to get in on a discord if one pops up.

I'm a new player still trying to get into the game would also like an invite to the discord, I know I'm not exactly high on the priority list so just let me know whenever.

Thanks for the note Rafy. If we do join up with the PC clan's discord, I'd like someone else to volunteer to administer it. I like the idea in principle, but I'm a little bit skeptical about the utility of discord for our purposes...even if it makes a ton of sense on PC for party chat and such. We have party chat built in and a PSN Community already.

First, I'm not at all convinced that we'll leave GAF, even if we decide to rebrand, so until we do, I'd prefer to just communicate here. The utility of GAF for the clan is that it provides us with a relatively steady flow of like-minded and mature players and gives people an easy venue to ask for reinvites. If you ever had to maintain the clan, I bet you'd appreciate the value of an open forum (whether it's here or Reset or whatever) for recruiting purposes. I don't see how Discord facilitates that, even if it would be a fine communication system for existing members.

Second, I'm not at all convinced that GAF is going anywhere, and I'm not all that sad to see some of the more reactionary people leave GAF, if that's the case. I think the most likely outcome is that we rebrand...not because GAF doesn't work for us as a practical matter, but rather because the name has lost some appeal. We'll start a thread on ResetEra, if that's a thing, and maybe (or maybe not) migrate over there if GAF fades. And also, maybe a Discord, if that's something a lot of you are interested in.

Finally...gimme some name suggestions and more feedback on the phoenix emblem. Shiki thought it looked like a chicken...they must have some epic chickens wherever he's from! ;)

ExVicis

I literally just picked Warframe again a couple days ago and now NeoGAF is imploding. Goddammit.

Is there someone I can get into contact with to get in the GAF (or whatever you may become) Warframe community/clan? Assuming there is one on the PS4 version.

Top Bottom