• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD ON VEGA PRICING...

thelastword

Banned
I hope this ends this trainwreck of a reaction from youtubers once and for all....prices go up when demand is high and stock is low...It has happened with every NV card and intel CPU recently....Try to get a 1080ti at stock or a GTX 1070 months upon months later at MSRP...6700k's were going for over $430-450 for months after launch...It's how the market works...sigh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRkDsjRsXAc

FingerBang

This is the link to the article the WCCFTech video is using as source:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-rx-vega-launch-price-reduction

pcgamesn said:
”Our SEPs, and the price tag that we announced," Youngblood says, ”is our full intention of where we would suggest the product be priced. Not just for launch, but ongoing."

What happened, though, was we launched the product and the demand was really huge. Now we're focused on replenishing so that there is plenty of stock so we can encourage our partners to hit the SEPs that we announced."

MRORANGE

I think the main problem is a a lot of reviewers were given the cards and were told that it would retail at those low RRP prices, however we have now found out that the prices were going to be higher and that these prices were "introduction prices"

JayzTwoCents has done a video on it.

In summary AMD:

- Released a card with performance along a 1080 and pricing
- AMD tried to sell the card in higher packages wtth rebates for mobo's + freesync monitors
- AMD is now saying that these prices were up to retailers, this has made reviews on the product redundant as they reviewed at its lower prices.

The whole VEGA has been quite a farce to be quite frank, AMD have been quite sneaky about the whole thing and were quite stringent on reviewers.

ZOONAMI

I think the main problem is a a lot of reviewers were given the cards and were told that it would retail at those low RRP prices, however we have now found out that the prices were going to be higher and that these prices were "introduction prices"

JayzTwoCents has done a video on it.

In summary AMD:

- Released a card with performance along a 1080 and pricing
- AMD tried to sell the card in higher packages wtth rebates for mobo's + freesync monitors
- AMD is now saying that these prices were up to retailers, this has made reviews on the product redundant as they reviewed at its lower prices.

The whole VEGA has been quite a farce to be quite frank, AMD have been quite sneaky about the whole thing and were quite stringent on reviewers.

Well, no, a lot of consumer products that have higher demand than supply is going to have inflated prices over list, amd is saying they are working hard to remedy the supply issue.

Edited above as people having problem with the word literally.

Obvious damage control PR after people started criticizing their misleading marketing. We will see how much stock they allocate to different editions now.

atpbx

I hope this ends this trainwreck of a reaction from youtubers once and for all....prices go up when demand is high and stock is low...It has happened with every NV card and intel CPU recently....Try to get a 1080ti at stock or a GTX 1070 months upon months later at MSRP...6700k's were going for over $430-450 for months after launch...It's how the market works...sigh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRkDsjRsXAc

I don't understand this post, are you trying to say you cannot buy a 1080ti for MSRP now, or previously?

Because if you saying you still can't, you will understand my confusion because I've got a mountain of links ready that say you can buy them even below that.

LQX

Fuck AMD for doing this but Nvidia pretty much did the same shit if not worse with that founders edition farce.

Well, no, literally any consumer product that has higher demand than supply is going to have inflated prices over list, amd is saying they are working hard to remedy the supply issue. Jayznosense has always been a Nvidia fanboy.
Not at retail pal

Eg. Switch is still MSRP, demand notwithstanding

Fuck AMD for doing this but Nvidia pretty much did the same shit if not worse with that founders edition farce.

Not really because Nvidia was transparent about FE being early adopter tax and FE cards were reviewed at their real price point.

AMD made deception to influence better reviews and it's very likely they had to change their original pricing plan due to people starting to notice.

Well, no, literally any consumer product that has higher demand than supply is going to have inflated prices over list, amd is saying they are working hard to remedy the supply issue. Jayznosense has always been a Nvidia fanboy.

Really? Besides with GPU's and CPU's this is really not my experience with retail at all, i can not think of one item in short supply that i have paid over RRP for. Jayztwocents reaction seems perfectly reasonable, it is your reaction on the other hand that seems out of whack.

ZOONAMI

Not at retail pal

Eg. Switch is still MSRP, demand notwithstanding

Really? Besides with GPU's and CPU's this is really not my experience with retail at all, i can not think of one item in short supply that i have paid over RRP for. Jayztwocents reaction seems perfectly reasonable, it is your reaction on the other hand that seems out of whack.

Ummm, 1070s at retail at best buy and microcenter, are still well over Nvidias original listed msrp before the FE shenanigans. And no, Nvidia wasn't transparent about it. It was here is the msrp and here is the FE price. There was a ton of confusion about it. You couldnt get pascal chips anywhere near the msrp outside of a very limited selection from evga for several months.

If you start talking about online sellers, then everything goes out the window as even switch is well over msrp online.

Also a game console isn't a gpu. And what cpus even have a supply issue?

Right, MSRP were higher for Nvidia stuff at launch. But it was a year ago. It's AMD's fault to release their stuff 1 year late, for lower or same performance... at a higher price now.

Ummm, 1070s at retail at best buy and microcenter, are still well over Nvidias original listed msrp before the FE shenanigans. And no, Nvidia wasn't transparent about it. It was here is the msrp and here is the FE price. There was a ton of confusion about it. You couldnt get pascal chips outside of a very limited selection from evga for several months.

If you start talking about online sellers, then everything goes out the window as even switch is well over msrp online.

It is, however, part of the 'literally any consumer product' category you specified

I understand the current GPU market is a complete clusterfuck, but that still leaves Vega in an awkward spot as the 'value GPU'

ZOONAMI

It is, however, part of the 'literally any consumer product' category you specified

I understand the current GPU market is a complete clusterfuck, but that still leaves Vega in an awkward spot as the 'value GPU'

Well, you must have missed the part of my post just above the part you bolded. Just because some retailers honor suggested pricing doesn't mean all of them do, and I think things have become a lot more tricky as retail isn't necessarily the most common form of buying things any more. It still applies as a lot of people are buying switches well over retail price, myself included. If gamestop is forcing bundles on people's it's effectively selling above retail price as a the shit they bundle doesn't actually cost that much.

Well, you must have missed the part of my post just above the part you bolded. Just because some retailers honor suggested pricing doesn't mean all of them do, and I think things have become a lot more tricky as retail isn't necessarily the most common form of buying things any more. It still applies as a lot of people are buying switches well over retail price, myself included. If gamestop is forcing bundles on people's it's effectively selling above retail price as a the shit they bundle doesn't actually cost that much.
The forced bundles are bad, but when taken together the products don't go above msrp.

That said, bundles aren't a thing in most of Europe, but the GPU price hikes sure are. I've never seen anything quite like it in my country, to be frank.

Ummm, 1070s at retail at best buy and microcenter, are still well over Nvidias original listed msrp before the FE shenanigans. And no, Nvidia wasn't transparent about it. It was here is the msrp and here is the FE price. There was a ton of confusion about it. You couldnt get pascal chips anywhere near the msrp outside of a very limited selection from evga for several months.

Firstly in Aus we've had CPU prices go up in stores when supply is low, but thats got nothing to do with the point i was making.

In your post you literally(lol) said this
"Well, no, literally(lol) any consumer product that has higher demand than supply is going to have inflated prices over list, "
Well you're wrong. You can try and change what we are disagreeing over by bringing up what i said about CPU's or inferring that you meant something different (maybe you did) to what you said but it doesn't change how wrong your comment was. Just accept it and move on.

ZOONAMI

Firstly in Aus we've had CPU prices go up in stores when supply is low, but thats got nothing to do with the point i was making.

In your post you literally(lol) said this
"Well, no, literally(lol) any consumer product that has higher demand than supply is going to have inflated prices over list, "
Well you're wrong. You can try and change what we are disagreeing over by bringing up what i said about CPU's or inferring that you meant something different (maybe you did) to what you said but it doesn't change how wrong your comment was. Just accept it and move on.

Ok, I shouldn't have said literally, just most or a lot of. Demand exceeding supply having an effect on price isn't exactly new, is the point I was trying to make. Like it's kind of a central tenant of economics.

llien

Not really because Nvidia was transparent about FE being early adopter tax and FE cards were reviewed at their real price point..

Since it took good 6 months for AIB cards to reach "real" and "not FE" MSRP, in what way was it "transparent"?

sirap

lol at Nvidia being "transparent" with that FE bullshit.

One year later and I still haven't seen sane prices for their cards in Asia.

Bashtee

Thailand flood destroying HDD factories, prices doubled. Currently short supply of DDR4 Memory, prices more than doubled (I only paid 260€ for my 64gb kit). RX480, 580 and 1070 prices reached the level of a 1080 with something between 500 and 600€, due to the gold rush in mining.

You might not have paid more than the RRP, but it is real. AMD released specific mining drivers for Vega, pushing the hash rate quite a bit. Don't expect prices to reach a normal level for a while.

Thailand flood destroying HDD factories, prices doubled. Currently short supply of DDR4 Memory, prices more than doubled (I only paid 260€ for my 64gb kit). RX480, 580 and 1070 prices reached the level of a 1080 with something between 500 and 600€, due to the gold rush in mining.

You might not have paid more than the RRP, but it is real. AMD released specific mining drivers for Vega, pushing the hash rate quite a bit. Don't expect prices to reach a normal level for a while.

No shit it's real, i never said it wasn't. I was disagreeing with him saying "literally any consumer product that has higher demand than supply is going to have inflated prices over list". That's just not the case majority of the time.

You should probably read and understand the entire chain of comments before posting a reply of your own in future.

llien

AIB cards on stock clocks reached "real" MSRP by the end of July 2016. That's not six months.

So, you remember 2 months (I remember it was 6, but that's not that important in this context).

Could we then give AMD 2 months for price to settle at MSRP (It hasn't even been 2 weeks, funny enough)?

Kuosi

Never cared for MSRP prices, all that counts is the price you can actually buy one for, hope it gets better for people who actually want to buy vega cards as it currently stands rx 64 is 150€ more to 1080 in finland

Bashtee

No shit it's real, i never said it wasn't. I was disagreeing with him saying "literally any consumer product that has higher demand than supply is going to have inflated prices over list". That's just not the case majority of the time.

You should probably read and understand the entire chain of comments before posting a reply of your own in future.

One the phone during train ride, didn't check the replies before I send off my own. Why so passive-aggressive?

Literally is a bit much, I agree, but scalpers are real and show the problem of supply and demand quite well. It's pay overprice or wait for restock. PC parts might be a bit special though, it's the only place where prices get adjusted ASAP. The Thailand flood for example. Once the news broke that it might affect HDD production, the prices skyrocketed, which was insane. There had to be so many storages filled with HDDs and all of a sudden they more than doubled in price.

Also, JayzTwoCents reaction on twitter was overblown, even going as far as rethinking the build of the Ryzen workstation because of this.

thelastword

Banned
Obvious damage control PR after people started criticizing their misleading marketing. We will see how much stock they allocate to different editions now.

Damage control from what exactly? Point me to the official PR where AMD stated that RX Vega will be going up $100.00? Like things have never been made up on the internet before or false rumors and propaganda has never made the rounds.....The same guy who said Vega 56 had a hash rate of 70 m/hases is the same guy who said msrp was going to raise. If he is your source of truth or you believe he is AMD's official PR, then you're way too gullible....and happily misguided.

The forced bundles are bad, but when taken together the products don't go above msrp.

That said, bundles aren't a thing in most of Europe, but the GPU price hikes sure are. I've never seen anything quite like it in my country, to be frank.
The bundles are not forced. AMD wanted to push the freesync+vega a while before launch, you remember all those blind tests they had, yet, for only $100.00 more you get two games and discounts on a monitor,mb and ryzen etc....That's a good deal for new builders...There were also standalone cards, so don't pretend the only option you had was to buy a bundle...

The problem at launch for the customer or for those who wanted one, was that demand outstripped supply, it happens for highly anticipated products all the time. What AMD addressed soon after when all this whining online began was simple...."They reiterated their suggested MSRP" and said they would be pushing more stock in the coming weeks to address the issue. AMD can only suggest the MSRP, they have no tight reigns over how a vendor chooses to sell their cards after they've purchased it from AMD, especially in high demand situations like this.

AMD also has no control over who starts rumors on 70-100 m/hash rates and a markup on their suggested MSRP after launch. You believe that there are not people on the green team who would run with this and make a big issue despite AMD saying nothing on price markups at all, absolutely nothing. They never said the cards will go up, but we take Gibbo's words as coming straight from AMD, what type of person do you believe would fuel these flames?

The only issue AMD had to address was the supply issue, because they know that's the only reason there is a markup in prices. The more stock there is in the channel means that more vendors will have the cards and would therefore be more inclined to maintain suggested MSRP....and that's exactly how AMD can regulate the situation and that's what they're doing...

I must say, I've lost lots of respect for Jayztwocents and others jumping the gun here on what is false rumors. Some people are just unfair in their deliberations...we've already discussed demand vs supply and of course "precedent", from any anticipated product in history since forever...but beyond that...

1.) Nvidia said the GTX 970 had 4GB of ram, they said it, everybody thought and exepected that it's would be 4GB of fast ram, but no it was not, it was 3.5GB of fast ram with .5Gb of much slower ram, now that is deception at the highest level....Jayztwocents only asid Nvidia was wrong on that, he never said he would not recommend or accept NV products in the future, a practice where NV was sued and had to settle mind you....but for something AMD never said, what a reaction from this man..he won't accept AMD cards, neither will he recommend them, all on a useless riumor....you do the math here..

2.) People are shitting on the bundles, but tell me this, when the FE went for $100.00 more at launch, did it have a great vrm, did it have a nice shroud, did those FE's have water cooling perhaps? What justified the price markup? Did the FE come with games or coupons? My goodness, AMD is offering gamers several discounts on computer hardware, two games etc...at the same $100.00 markup and they're the devil...This industry and the double standards man. Some people are just not fair in their deliberations or lack thereof, this whole thing has been unfair to AMD and painted them in a light not warranted, all because of an unsubstantiated and false rumor.....Nvidia and die-hard NV fans must be feeling happy about this, but any balanced and fair person can see right through this....

All AMD has to do now is to improve those drivers and open up the bios/hbm and vrm restrictions so AIB's can hit the custom cards out the park, normal overclockers too...They have a good product on their hands and they should open all doors to ensure their hardware does the talking, primarily their Vega 56....I think those false rumors and all this vitriol will have the reverse of it's intended effect in a few weeks and months...of that I'm certain....

dr_rus

So, you remember 2 months (I remember it was 6, but that's not that important in this context).

Could we then give AMD 2 months for price to settle at MSRP (It hasn't even been 2 weeks, funny enough)?

It's not that I "remember", it's that I've actually bought my AIB OCed GTX1080 in August for less than what 1080FE cards were priced at that time.

And I believe that the issue is not about the price being higher than MSRP due to demand - which is what was with Pascal cards - but because of AMD's pricing shenenigans.

Top Bottom