• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nidhogg 2 review thread

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Metacritic - 81
OpenCritic - 82

Destructoid - 95
All that being said, it's easy to suggest Nidhogg 2 on its own merits. It has expanded on the wonderful mechanics of the original and has one of the best soundtracks in recent memory. There isn't much content here for the solo player, but if you've got friends coming over for some friendly competition, the night would not be complete without Nidhogg 2.

Hardcore Gamer - 90
Outrageous artwork aside, Nidhogg 2 is cut from the same cloth as Nidhogg. It attempts to enhance gameplay by offering more weapons and this was a successful move.

Attack of the Fanboy - 90
Nidhogg 2 is a unique and incredibly intricate game that succeeds in sucking you into its addictive nature, whether you are a newcomer to the series or a veteran looking for a fresh challenge.

Critical Hit - 85
Nidhogg 2 is a brutally bizarre tug of war with swords, an attractive grim spectacle of steel and blood that just so happens to be one of the most addictive experiences of the year. It's a bigger take on the magnificent original game, while avoiding feature bloat as it retains its simple charm with its ghastly and delightful new art direction.

God is a Geek - 85
If you adored the first one, there's no reason you won't love this. It's soundtrack is banging, its violence is over-the-top and chatoic at best, with hours of gameplay in its joyfully reptitive nature. All hail the Nidhogg!

Gameinformer - 80
Though it doesn't add much for players looking to play around with its improvements solo, Nidhogg 2 adds layers of depth to a simple formula without breaking what made it so appealing in the first place. The new weapons and maneuvers blend seamlessly into fights, making them more dynamic and tense. Its single-player offerings may be paper-thin, but for anyone looking to test themselves against their friends, Nidhogg 2 is hard to beat.

IGN - 80
The amount of action that can transpire within a couple of seconds in Nidhogg 2 makes for two-player combat that's both intense and hilarious to play or watch with friends. Nidhogg 2's visual style might not be for everyone, but its sharp, minimalist duelling is still smart and chaotic enough to allow for endless couch competition.

Gamespot - 70
Despite its problems, Nidhogg 2 is spectacular, engrossing, funny, tragic, and dramatic in equal measure, and it will no doubt become another party game staple. Nidhogg 2 sacrifices simplicity for more options, and it doesn't prove to be a good trade. But when the underlying action is this good, I'll put up with the odd unwelcome dagger.

CGMagazine - 65
Nidhogg is back with muppet-like characters, new weapons, a new coat of paint, and not a lot else.

FelipeMGM

Played Arcade mode a few times last week, and a bunch couch multiplayer this weekend.

Its basically Nidhogg ''1'' with a lil more depht into the combat because of the new weapons and the stages design variances. The game looks incredible too, its a shame people are drawing their attentions to the characters, because the art in the background is and the stages are beautiful. Soundtrack is awesome too

Couldnt play the online mode, not sure if its because servers werent up or becasue it just couldnt find a game, which would be understandable because it would be only review copies out

Its a fun and cheap party game, and the crazy tension that made Nidhogg famous is still there.

PMS341

Glad to see the game reviewing well, but the art style alone deters me completely. The first game had an almost mystical aesthetic to it, this just feels like walking into Spencer's.

bounchfx

didn't really like the new weapons when I tried this (bow annoying as shit) but I'm definitely down to play more. movement also felt weird/different but I might have just remembered the original incorrectly

Alric

Cool, I personally think the game looks amazing and a blast to play with friends. Let the friendly trash talking begin, in game.

Can't wait for breathless hot takes on how shit the art style is. Get over it. It's not shit. It's shit to you because you're not used to it and it came out of left field, and is a huge departure from the first game's style.

Jesus Christ imagine if Super Mario Bros 2 came out for the first time today.

I didn't like it at first, but after playing it awhile I have to say it's gorgeous, in its own horrifying way.

Alot of effort went into designing this beautifully repulsive creature:
wmplayer-9-21-2016-8-26-43-PM-485.png

Acerac

Banned
Jesus Christ imagine if Super Mario Bros 2 came out for the first time today.

Poe's Law all up in this thread.

I'm glad to hear the game is reviewing well. I'll be passing on this one, but given the huge changes that happen between games in this series I am very interested in a potential sequel.

The first game is such a great party game. It's simple, yet can be complex. I've had many battles that lead to huge outbursts. Definitely picking this up.

I really do hope they get around to releasing this on Switch. I'll probably double dip anyway, this is perfect for those nights when you host friends. Many good memories from the first game.

Glad to see this incarnation is reviewing well too.

JoeLT

Loved the first, but despite the positive reviews for its gameplay I'm not going to buy and play a game that looks like that.

game should unlock soon - I'm excited to jump in, but i won't have time to play it locally for a few days (which is kind of the best part).

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I really do hope they get around to releasing this on Switch. I'll probably double dip anyway, this is perfect for those nights when you host friends. Many good memories from the first game.

Glad to see this incarnation is reviewing well too.
This is exactly the kind of game I'd want to play in tabletop mode in a bar with friends.

Well the broadswords are fucking great. I like them a lot more than the standard rapier so far.

I kind of forget about the art style after a round or two.

I'm still playing Nidhogg 1 to this day, and I think I prefer the first one over the second. It's more readable, dynamic and precise. My couple of sessions with the sequel left me with a strange taste. The divekick seems useless, there's less surprises as the respawn point of a dead ennemy, and the physic is a bit floaty.
The graphics are nice, I don't mind the characters artstyle, but it's a bit harder to read the action compared to the minimalistic palette of the first. I'll keep playing 2 until it clics, but for now, my main rival and me are kinda disappointed.

spad3

some style > no style.

the fact that they put any effort into visuals this time around is amazing.

Can't wait to get home and play it.

I actually think the level art is legit.

The rigged character Do make for a harder time reading moves but part of that is also mengetting used to actual differing weapons.

arrow deflections are pretty neat.

Still don't understand the change from the first game's art direction to this. I hate the way these characters look and the way the move. They just look stupid. The first game's visuals worked because of the quick readability of the character animations.

Fisty

Looks fantastic and was really fluid when I tried it out. This game will be a huge hit in my household, and I'm really looking forward to what the new weapon options add to the chaos.

I really hope bunny-hopping is still in

This game is a FF9 situation for me, where I totally recognize it's a great game with stuff I genuinely like, but the aesthetics just don't do it for me.

Still nice to hear it's reviewing well or courses. Always nice to see Indies making a go of it.

Anyone having issues with launching the game on PC? Been looking around the internet for a while trying to find a possible solution, but there's surprisingly little discussion of this game outside of the steam forums. Like, I had no idea there was apparently cross-platform play until I saw mention of it in those forums.

I'm glad to hear that the gameplay holds up. Perhaps I'll take a shot on this game, but my goodness the character design is thoroughly unpleasant. I know it's intentionally grotesque, but I find myself missing the minimalist style of the original. Oh well.

Bought this on PS4 and had a blast with it, definitely worth the $12. The gameplay is still the intense back and forth, and I like most of the new weapons (I hate the bow, too easy to shoot yourself with it).

The only time the art style really stands out in a bad way is when they go back to locations from the first game because you can't help but make that comparison in your head. But overall I dig the aesthetic of the game.

As a bonus there's a track that has a Will Smith style "UH, UH, HAHA!!" voice sample in there that had me and my friends laughing.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Still don't understand the change from the first game's art direction to this. I hate the way these characters look and the way the move. They just look stupid. The first game's visuals worked because of the quick readability of the character animations.
I think he's covering the extreme ends of the spectrum. I don't even think he cares if people like the graphics. Messhoff made a game designed to make people physically ill before just because he could:

www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/05/21/bellyaches-the-thrill-of-combat-and-party-boat

This game looks a heck lot of fun!

Is it easy to find online matches? Since its an under the radar indie game I gather it won't be packed with people playing?

Bought this on PS4 and had a blast with it, definitely worth the $12. The gameplay is still the intense back and forth, and I like most of the new weapons (I hate the bow, too easy to shoot yourself with it).

The only time the art style really stands out in a bad way is when they go back to locations from the first game because you can't help but make that comparison in your head. But overall I dig the aesthetic of the game.

As a bonus there's a track that has a Will Smith style "UH, UH, HAHA!!" voice sample in there that had me and my friends laughing.
You can shoot yourself with a bow? lol

Top Bottom