• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adapter unlocks support for mouse and keyboard, DS4 and more controllers

Fehyd

Banned
There was already a product for that its called the XIM and it was pretty good.

The constraint on it is the sensitivity in the game. You get some more fine control with the mouse but turn speed is going to be the same as a controller with a maxed sensitivity, since youre basically just emulating stick movement to mouse movement.

Mechazawa

Well, that makes MS just look like complete dicks now.

Taking out support for controllers even though the console is perfectly able to handle them (as proven by this mod).

Bu-bu-bu it's new console!

You people seriously think that the Xbox One using a Wii U Pro controller is some latent ability that Microsoft gated access out of?

So everyone will start using mouse & keyboard in Cod and Titanfall?

There were plenty of KBM converters for the last generation of consoles as well.

iJudged

Banned
This controller does not magically convert the control schemes, however, and it does cannot to change the speed/acceleration of the controls. Since the game is made with a controller in mind, when moving the mouse it will still (in most cases) be with a feeling of incredible sluggishness and/or jankiness that many mouse/keyboard players find even worse than FPS gaming with a controller.
What about stick sensitivity adjustment? I can see what you are trying to say, this is something I will have to try though.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I ordered one yesterday morning so I could use my TE stick for Killer Instinct. Its already shipped, hopefully I will get it by the end of the week.

I'll keep you guys posted with impressions.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I ordered one yesterday morning so I could use my TE stick for Killer Instinct. Its already shipped, hopefully I will get it by the end of the week.

I'll keep you guys posted with impressions.

terrific. i'll be watching this thread carefully. if you have access to some wheels it would be great if you could test those as well.

Astarte

Oh shit, that's pretty awesome. People get to use their fightsticks and they don't have to be so apprehensive about buying a new console because of the fear of spending more money on a peripheral that they may not want. I'm just wondering if it's lagless and works well.

Shengar

This isn't a Xbox One mod, this is a controller addon that takes a variety of USB pads as inputs and converts it so as to fake an Xbox One controller.

This is still great news though, but it needs to be lagless for it to actually be worthwhile. I can see a lot of fighting game fans picking this up if so.

Good to hear. See a console "modded" so early is worrying.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Was always going to happen with wired controller support.

I don't think KBM will work as well as some hope.

zeelman

^^^They didn't care about Xims on the 360, I sincerely doubt that will happen.

The constraint on it is the sensitivity in the game. You get some more fine control with the mouse but turn speed is going to be the same as a controller with a maxed sensitivity, since youre basically just emulating stick movement to mouse movement.

Yes, you have to do that to get it to work properly, but you can adjust the sensitivity via the Xim's own software.

_Ryo_

Do you have to hard mod a console for this to work? Any chips needed? If not, how does it void the warranty?

Dr. Kaos

Banned
This is not a mod and the title should be updated!

This is potentially great for us stick owners who don't want to get scammed out another $200 to rebuy what we already have (Sanwa sticks and Sanwa buttons).

I wonder if M$ can ban it (I bet they'll claim it's to avoid cheating, lying greedy bastards..)

Let me use my goddamned USB stick already! the U stands for UNIVERSAL you ...you...

Ok, I'm going to stop now because I'm upset.

Edit: Goddamn. The adapter costs $60 ? Ridiculous! Call me when it's $30 or cheaper...

Skeff

Just a quick FYI, This isn't a mod, it doesn't chnge the XB1 at all, it's already working on PS360/Wii and already has a ps4 proof of concept video so will be coming to PS4 too, This is a standard adapter.

Microsoft won't brick your console fr this because they don't do it to the x360 and it's been working on 360 for a long time.

Just relax people.

Oppo

You people seriously think that the Xbox One using a Wii U Pro controller is some latent ability that Microsoft gated access out of?

Yeah, I do. It's a USB port, and USB input devices have standard HID commands that are fairly universal. While it's not considered proper support (adjusted for each controller's quirks), yeah, MS definitely blocked this functionality.

I could plug a Wacom tablet into a PS3 and use it to scroll through the XMB. Because they didn't gate off the normal HID signals.

Randum

Neo Member
This looks fantastic, I just wanted this to allow support of my fight sticks! Looks like it is sold out- keeping an eye out now...

Skytylz

Banned
No doubt MS patches this so the mod doesn't work right ?

I'm guessing it just sends the same signals a xbone controller would send, so unless they can add additional authentication that works with existing controllers there is hope that they might not be able to. They likely can somehow, but hopefully they don't because this isn't hurting them much and it'd be great to use my 360 fightstick.

old

MS has to fix this or I will not buy an Xbox One. The reason I play online shooters on consoles is because like many others I'm very good with sticks. I will not put myself at a significant competitive disadvantage by playing against K/M players while I use sticks. If I can't trust that my competition is playing on sticks like I am then I have no reason to buy the XO version.

If this isn't fixed then I'll be very persuaded to play on the PS4 if they have better protection for stick players.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
MS has to fix this or I will not buy an Xbox One. The reason I play online shooters on consoles is because like many others I'm very good with sticks. I will not put myself at a significant competitive disadvantage by playing against K/M players while I use sticks. If I can't trust that my competition is playing on sticks like I am then I have no reason to buy the XO version.

If this isn't fixed then I'll be very persuaded to play on the PS4 if they have better protection for stick players.
This device and others like it have already allowed KB/M on 360/PS3 almost since their release.

There are reasons why it hasn't been a particularly big deal.

Slermy

Outside of the Wii U, what systems let you use last-gen controllers?

Well, in the past, you could use PlayStation controllers on a PS2 and it would work for most games if they didn't require the analog face buttons. You could also use Master System games on a Genesis / Mega Drive, and I think Atari 2600 controllers on an Atari 7800? Documents show the Sega Saturn was actually designed with support for Genesis / Mega Drive controllers, but obviously there's no way to hook them up physically.

Tons of misinformation bouncing around in this thread, so I'm gonna try to clear up some things based on what I know/suspect.

- This is a converter, not a mod. This will not lead to Xbone "hacks." This will not aid piracy. This will not aid homebrew. Thread title is misleading and should be changed to something like "Xbox One USB converter unlocks support for KB&M, DS4 and more."

- This converter works as a passthrough. I can't be 100% sure, but it should essentially work like a pad hack for an arcade stick; a legit Xbone controller is used for authentication, while the converter takes the input signals from whatever you have, converts the value into what the Xbone expects, then sends it to the console. The "scan for inputs, then convert, then send" step may introduce some lag, although lagless converters are already available for PS3 and 360. However, the authentication should mean that the console will not be able to tell the difference between a CronusMAX and an Xbone controller, so it will likely not be patched out. That is an assumption, however.

- The advantage of using a mouse instead of an analog stick to aim comes from the fact that games use translation data from the absolute position of a mouse over time to calculate how far, and in what direction, to aim. Your mouse is at point Y; 1 ms later, it is at point Z; it moved X amount in W direction, so that is how much your aim should be adjusted right now. On an analog stick, you move the stick, and your aim is altered by a fixed amount every time the game updates depending on how far the stick is from center. Your aim speed increases from slow to fast at the same time. On a mouse, your aim speed is as fast as you can move your mouse. The key is this: changing the input method does not change the interpretation method. The game will not suddenly aim as fast as you can move your mouse just because you used a converter instead of a gamepad. Even if you throw your mouse across the mousepad as fast as you can, your aim will never move faster than it would if you simply held the analog stick at the edge of its rotation. Thus, there is no advantage for mouse and keyboard players using a converter over gamepad players.

And for some conjecture...

There is little practical reason for MS to not, at least unofficially, continue to allow 360-licensed controllers to work on Xbone. The fact that they're licensed for 360 means that they meet a certain input method standard; they'll have all the same buttons the Xbone controllers have. At the very least, they'll know what the hell all the buttons do automatically. The PS4 allows developers to support PS3 controllers, even though they might not necessarily be supported in the OS for navigating menus just yet. So for people who want to use arcade sticks, for example, no extra hardware is necessary on PS4 (assuming developers support the old stuff).

Nzyme32

in fairness, this sort of thing was inevitable. Dev options left unlocked, and an x86 system make it so much easier to do this kind of stuff. I'd assume a similar situation will happen with PS4 too

Looks like just a USB stick that plugs in, through which you plug in the device of choice.

That's cool. I've been thinking about buying a fight stick but was feeling like I don't want to spend that with next gen coming. If everything will work on everything (PS3/360/PS4/X1) I'll just find the best deal I can regardless of native system.

Top Bottom