• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Davy Jones , do you see him good as Darth Vader?

a916

OP

tumblr_oid0tdWX3a1uzua4xo1_500.gif

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Let no joyful voice be heard! Let no man look up at the sky with hope! And let this day be cursed by we who ready to wake...the KRAKEN!

Umm, no. Like others have said in this thread, I don't remember a single thing about the character outside of the great CGI.

Considering the only good Pirates film was the first one, an emphatic no with a look of total disbelief that anyone could ever even think that.

zeemumu

Umm, no. Like others have said in this thread, I don't remember a single thing about the character outside of the great CGI.

I remember everything about him. I wouldn't call him as good as Darth Vader but he wasn't a bad villain.

Plus he played a mean pipe organ
latest

Morlas

I like Davy Jones he's legitimately intimidating...but if I had a choice of who to meet up with in a dark alleyway it would be Jones every time....

Here is a list of everything I can remember about Davy Jones:

1) He played an organ with his face tentacles once.

And if this is the method of argument we're using, here's what I remember about Darth Vader

1)He's that guys father.

2)NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I guess it's technically a win because that's two points, but still

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Vader (on screen) was only ever really dominating in Rogue One.

Otherwise he's the emperor's lackey bitch

SpaceWolf

Banned
And here's what I remember about Darth Vader

1)He's that guys father.

2)NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I guess it's technically a win because that's two points, but still

This post would probably hold me weight, if pretty much every scene Darth Vader appeared in in regards to the original trilogy hadn't long since been ingrained in our collective popular consciousness. Including...

-Vader marching through the Tantive.
-"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
-Obi Wan/Vader duel.
-The Bespin duel. "The force is with you, young Skywalker"
-All his interactions with the Emperor.
-"We would be honoured, if you could join us"
-"I have altered the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further"

And so on and so on and so on. Basically every scene, practically every line involving that particular character.

Swig_

He wasn't even the best Monkee. He's certainly not as good as Vader.

I forgot that was the villains name and thought to myself "What is this? The 60s?". I thought maybe you were asking if he would be a good actor to play Darth Vader, with the title wording. Lol.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
All I remember about Davey Jones was really good CGI and being in the bad sequels to the good movie.

I don't even really think of him as all that important in those movies. Giant crab lady at least turned into a giant crab lady.

This post would probably hold me weight, if pretty much every scene Darth Vader appeared in in regards to the original trilogy hadn't long since been ingrained in our collective popular consciousness. Including...

-Vader marching through the Tantive.
-"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
-Obi Wan/Vader duel.
-The Bespin duel. "The force is with you, young Skywalker"
-All his interactions with the Emperor.
-"We would be honoured, if you could join us"
-"I have altered the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further"

And so on and so on and so on. Basically every scene, practically every line involving that particular character.

I legitimately couldn't think of any of those without reading your post though. I wasn't (just ) being an ass when I said those are the only two things I could think of related to Vader (disclaimer: never watched Rogue one, though I hear there's an impressive scene or two with him in it). I still have no memory of at least half of those.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I legitimately couldn't think of any of those without reading your post though. I wasn't (just ) being an ass when I said those are the only two things I could think of related to Vader (disclaimer: never watched Rogue one, though I hear there's an impressive scene or two with him in it).

I guess that's fair enough. People relate in different ways to different films, even if they happen to prove popular.

I'd still argue Vader's definitely had his fair share of iconic scenes outside of the two moments you describe, though.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Vader (on screen) was only ever really dominating in Rogue One.

Otherwise he's the emperor's lackey bi--
q07r4_s-200x150.gif

I mean, seriously, Davey Jones was memorable mainly for the tech that went into his appearance. Apart from that, there are only maybe two or three standout moments from him as a character, and those just involved him yelling because he was mad.

Bill Nighy did a good job though.

Davy Jones was a great villain with most of his potential spoiled in a Worlds End.

Darth Vader was done really well in the original trilogy already and has so much EU stuff that built him up over the past few decades. It's impossible to compare most villains to Vader.

I legitimately couldn't think of any of those without reading your post though. I wasn't (just ) being an ass when I said those are the only two things I could think of related to Vader (disclaimer: never watched Rogue one, though I hear there's an impressive scene or two with him in it). I still have no memory of at least half of those.

As opposed to Davy, where the only reason we remember his lines is because someone made a meme picture about troll threads, you're in one, etc.

ascii42

As opposed to Davy, where the only reason we remember his lines is because someone made a meme picture about troll threads, you're in one, etc.

That's based on Barbosa line though. Barbosa's got some great lines in the first movie, like "I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request" and "the code is more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules"

The only reason Davy Jones was good was because of Bill Nighys performance, otherwise he was a well animated, thinly written character with some really good lines.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I can only imagine OP had spent most of his time honing this theory on POTC-dedicated forums before finally airing it out to the world.

ReaperXL7

I love Bill Nighy, he's one of my favorite villainous actors of all time, but I would still say no. I don't think they gave Nighy much to work with though.

Ronin Ray

Darth Vader is the most iconic and infamous villain of all time. Practically every line he says in the original trilogy is famous and even his damn breathing is instantly recognizable. The answer is no. It's not that Davy Jones isn't cool but he should set his sights a little lower than Darth Vader.

I think the joker has passed up Darth Vader and is more iconic .
real answer is the devil

jett

D-Member
Recently rewatched Dead Man's Chest.

Davey Jones is much less interesting or entertaining to watch than I remembered. Actually has very little screen time.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Recently rewatched Dead Man's Chest.

Davey Jones is much less interesting or entertaining to watch than I remembered. Actually has very little screen time.

What people remember about Davey Jones, in no particular order:

-Squid beard!
-That organ scene?

I guess now is the time to ask. Is Davy Jones real or not? I've never really looked into him, figured he was just some crazy pirate who died years ago.

The only thing I remember about Davy Jones that he's cursed to never set foot on land (or something like that), so in one scene where he goes to meet people on land he's standing in a bucket. I remembered it because it looked silly.

As a contrast, I can clearly remember most scenes with Vader even though I haven't watched the OT in +5 years.

Top Bottom