• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point-and-Click Adventure-GAF of LucasArts, Sierra, and hair-pulling puzzles

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I see the OP lacks Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel. WHY?

It easily rivals LucasArts' best efforts. Find one and play it if ye don't believe me !

So I finished The Book of Unwritten Tales about a week or two ago. Absolutely brilliant game. It has the old school Lucasarts feel without having any archaic puzzle/design choices. Everything just flows beautifully and it's definitely worth checking out for any adventure game fan.

The only issue I had with the game is that it has no proper 16:9 support. Instead, it's built for 16:10 displays, so if you have a 16:9 monitor you're going to have black bars on the sides. The developers said that the game was made in a time when 16:9 wasn't popular. Apparently some focus group they asked said that it wasn't a big deal so they decided not to fix it up :\. Game doesn't support windowed mode either so you can't get away with a 16:9 window.

Just wanted pop in and say how much I'm enjoying Fate of Atlantis. I never finished it when I played it as a kid so playing through it now is quite a trip. The story is great, the Indiana Jones charm is perfect (whoever is voicing Indy does a superb job), the graphics hold up well (looks better than a lot of modern graphic adventures IMO) and the puzzles are largely logical and very satisfying to solve.

I just finished the
submarine
section btw, so I'm guessing I'm nearing the end of the game.

vareon

Just finished Broken Sword Director's Cut. Lovely game. Felt a disconnect on some puzzles though, since the setting was more grounded to reality, I tried to think logically. And that goddamn sliding puzzles.

Already have BS2, can't wait to start it.

Just wanted pop in and say how much I'm enjoying Fate of Atlantis. I never finished it when I played it as a kid so playing through it now is quite a trip. The story is great, the Indiana Jones charm is perfect (whoever is voicing Indy does a superb job), the graphics hold up well (looks better than a lot of modern graphic adventures IMO) and the puzzles are largely logical and very satisfying to solve.

I just finished the
submarine

i was in the same situation and finished the game earlier this year. it really is good. definitely does the indiana jones franchise justice.

Just finished Broken Sword Director's Cut. Lovely game. Felt a disconnect on some puzzles though, since the setting was more grounded to reality, I tried to think logically. And that goddamn sliding puzzles.

Already have BS2, can't wait to start it.

i think revolution is an underrated adventure developer. BS 1 & 2 and beneath a steel sky are all excellent. those are the only games by them i have finished, but they are all worth the time.

Roubjon

I just finished the
submarine

Make sure you go back to the point of the game where Sophia asks you whether you want her to come along or not. Each of those 3 choices creates 3 different paths with completely different story elements and puzzles. It's basically 3 games in one.

Make sure you go back to the point of the game where Sophia asks you whether you want her to come along or not. Each of those 3 choices creates 3 different paths with completely different story elements and puzzles. It's basically 3 games in one.

Thanks, and yes I made save at that point because it seemed like I was about to embark on one of several different paths.

I took the team path btw, because it seemed the most in line with what you would see in an Indiana Jones movie... him teaming up with someone and having funny interactions with them along the way. I love the dynamic between Indy and Sophia.

Sloane

Banned
Steam has 5-7 of the games for $35. I'd like to get that bundle but if only 2 or 3 of them are good I'd opt to get those instead.
Silver Earring is pretty good, Mystery of the Mummy and Persian Carpet are crap. Awakened, Nemesis, and Jack the Ripper had some fun and some very flawed parts -- maybe try a demo for one of them. 35$ is a decent price but without Testament (the newest game and second best of the series IMO) it's still hard to recommend.

Tizoc

Silver Earring is pretty good, Mystery of the Mummy and Persian Carpet are crap. Awakened, Nemesis, and Jack the Ripper had some fun and some very flawed parts -- maybe try a demo for one of them. 35$ is a decent price but without Testament (the newest game and second best of the series IMO) it's still hard to recommend.

Mind elaborating on the pros and cons of Awakened, Nemesis and Jack the Ripper please?

Has anyone ever play Ceville?

It's basically the ultimate hidden gem of the genre.
I loved every second of it.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2009/03/27/ceville-review

LeBoef

For some reason I just came to remember Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth. I have never encountered anyone who also has played this game that is one of the most bizarre and unique point-and-clickers I've ever played. Due to it's nature I never completed it since many of the puzzles are so obscure and impossible to solve without a lot of trial and error.

xjBev.jpg

XAq9y.jpg

A video showing the game in all it's glory.

searched the thread for this game. i loved that one

This thread is my childhood. So many memories.

I've tons of adventure games in steam (I must've bought over 30), trying to get back in the genre, but I can't. I guess it's just not for me anymore. Despite my love for MI, I couldn't get into the telltale games.

Tr4nce

Can a fellow Gaffer help me out maybe?

I've gone through my whole post history to find a screenshot I once posted in a similar thread, but I can't find it anymore. I was very excited about this game.

I don't have much info, but it was one screenshot with an art style that very strongly resembled that of Monkey island 3. I don't know the title. I only know it's not Deponia, and the character on the screenshot stood outside of a building, and it had some good old tiki lights hanging from it. The game was made by a company that is not really famous or something.

I know this post sounds stupid, but I can't find the game anymore :(

I've gone through my whole post history to find a screenshot I once posted in a similar thread, but I can't find it anymore. I was very excited about this game.

I don't have much info, but it was one screenshot with an art style that very strongly resembled that of Monkey island 3. I don't know the title. I only know it's not Deponia, and the character on the screenshot stood outside of a building, and it had some good old tiki lights hanging from it. The game was made by a company that is not really famous or something.

Whispered World?

If not then I'm sure it's another Daedalic game?

Or is this the post you're talking about?

TrutaS

Loved the thread, and my avatar sure does aprove.

I would like to point out that Gabriel Knight 3 is very innovative in terms of gameplay and the storyline is simply fantastic.

Recently Resonance brought me back to a genre I have always loved so I would recommend it also.

Tr4nce

Whispered World?

If not then I'm sure it's another Daedalic game?

Or is this the post you're talking about?

No man, that's not it...

Thanks for the help though. I am going to track this game down. Don't know where to start. Not even adventuregamers.com has the slightest bit of info. I hope I will get back on this. The game looked very nice.

Sloane

Banned
Mind elaborating on the pros and cons of Awakened, Nemesis and Jack the Ripper please?
Generally speaking: Frogwares knows how to write a decent story and offer an interesting deduction part which makes you actually think about what happened at a crime scene -- this was especially well done in Jack the Ripper, if I remember correctly. Production Values are pretty low though, you'll visit the same locations over and over again, puzzles in general are rather weak and the games are even more linear than your average adventure game.

A Vampyre Story? Captain Morgane?

TrutaS

I think I found it for you. Is this it?

Tizoc

Generally speaking: Frogwares knows how to write a decent story and offer an interesting deduction part which makes you actually think about what happened at a crime scene -- this was especially well done in Jack the Ripper, if I remember correctly. Production Values are pretty low though, you'll visit the same locations over and over again, puzzles in general are rather weak and the games are even more linear than your average adventure game.

I don't worry about linearity much TBH.
If the stories are good I will give them a play for that at least, even if the puzzles aren't all that. I might even get over the weak puzzles if I like the story enough.
Speaking of which I liked the puzzles in Testament.

Tr4nce

No that was not it guys. However:

HOLY SHIT. I just found it!!! It's called 'The Journey of Iesir'.

Behold:

screenshot02.png

iesir1.jpg

Tr4nce

Nope. I couldn't even find an official website for it. But if you check some forums here and there, the last bit of news was that they were looking to hire an animator, and then trying to finish up a demo of this game.

epmode

Looks good. If only good writing was as easy to emulate as good art.

At this point, I'd rather read preview dialog than see screenshots.

So I'm playing through the Longest Journey for the first time ever and I'm not sure if the game dialogue wise has aged well. The voice acting feels incredibly stale, not to mention it hasn't exactly aged well graphically.

So I'm playing through the Longest Journey for the first time ever and I'm not sure if the game dialogue wise has aged well. The voice acting feels incredibly stale, not to mention it hasn't exactly aged well graphically.

The 640x480 really bugs me, wish there was a way for high-resolution on that game.

Dialogue hasn't bothered me, in fact i found it pretty refreshing!

Don't let the graphics deter you, keep playing and let yourself be absorbed by the awesome atmosphere!

BJWanlund

Thanks discoalucard. I am reading the Kindle version of your book now, and I am absolutely LOVING it! I specifically love how the sample was so generous, because I smacked that $9.99 buy button before I got through the sample! I'll write up a review as soon as I finish (which may be tomorrow... Egad...).

As far as my classic adventure gaming is goin to go, I am seriously considering getting some more classic adventure games, and I may get some on your recommendation, especially the Lucasarts games if they ever hit GOG! (Already have all the Space Quest & Gabriel Knight games on GOG, I'll go thru and get the other adventure games when I can).

Tenrius

I feel that Gateway games by Legend should be mentioned. Those are their earlier games featuring the same combination of text parsing and graphics as Eric the Unready, but they are different in tone, having a more or less serious sci-fi narrative (based on Frederik Pohl's eponymous book and its sequels, by the way). The first game in particular was one of the best sci-fi experiences in gaming for me: wandering around the station, going on dangerous missions, etc.

Top Bottom