• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Priz

Allo is a mobile-only app that you might think is meant to replace Google's other messaging app, Hangouts. But you'd be wrong. Allo is explicitly meant to be a fresh start for Google's new communication's division (which also runs Hangouts and Project Fi).

You sign up with your phone number and you can connect your Google account to it, though there's no need to.
So... Hangouts will still exist... and you should install both? Also the last sentence reminds me of LINE.

At work lately they've had everyone install LINE to stay in touch (we all used AIM/Trillian before/currently). Certain people DO NOT want LINE on their phone so it was installed just long enough to get the desktop client running. Do you know how much trouble LINE is on the desktop if it doesn't have a phone to work with? You want to open a new IM Window to someone? Need to type a code on your phone app before you can type to them. If there's a major update requiring a signin and it's been removed from the phone... *womp womp* :( I keep it on my phone because I'm fine with that but for those who are against it at work, trying to keep them connected/usability can be a bitch. I hope Allo doesn't have those issues.

Noema

The rumored price is $400, but I could see that being before taxes.

Probably bargain bin prices for OEMs. And with that performance-level, I probably wouldn't want that phone anymore. Yikes. I was afraid that an 808 phone would be too much of a sidegrade (especially the 5X with the same 2 GB RAM), but going lower at the same resolution as the N5? No thanks. What a shame, I really liked the design.

It's a shame that the 61x is still used in 2016 for midrange phones. It's just not a good chip and shouldn't be driving 1080p phones.

So Android N multitasking automatically closes apps you haven't used in awhile. I guess Samsung was just looking into the future with the S6.

Hasney

So Android N multitasking automatically closes apps you haven't used in awhile. I guess Samsung was just looking into the future with the S6.

Probably. but I don't mind waiting so I don't have to use a Samsung phone. I've got an S6 for Gear VR, but I can't imagine ever using that as my daily driver and the couple of years with an S4... Never again.

Wonder if this Wear stuff will make me do anything with my watch other than swipe notifications.

EDIT: Watchface stuff is pretty cool working with any app.

It's official

I think the tech sector just bores me now

For me it's not the tech sector per se, but these kind of conferences and tech announcements really don't do anything for me anymore. I was really looking forward to Google's universal VR solution, saw it in the stream and had literally no reaction.

No date, no price, no hardware, only words.

I can't give a shit about announcements like that anymore.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
For me it's not the tech sector per se, but these kind of conferences and tech announcements really don't do anything for me anymore. I was really looking forward to Google's universal VR solution, saw it in the stream and had literally no reaction.

I guess this would be more accurate.

Even then I realize it's a developer conference, but I didn't even really see any "exciting" new developer shit either.

Just more of the same. *shrugs*

Agreed.

I'm also fairly disappointed that Android VR appears to just be performance tweaks for the mobile OS. I expected a VR-specific UI and hooks into existing VR headsets, like Android Wear but for VR.

So what is Allo? Can I send SMS messages and chat stuff? Or is it chat stuff only?

Also why is it so difficult for Google to allow me to send a sms from a Chromebook or iPad when Pushbullet does it.

Top Bottom