• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

Shaneus

Can anyone rehost the 'cast for me on something like Mediafire (or at least, not Libsyn) where I might be able to download it?

Ta :)

flowsnake

I just got the title of the previous episode. I like how that's a running joke for like three episodes now.

Edit: dumbness

Can anyone rehost the 'cast for me on something like Mediafire (or at least, not Libsyn) where I might be able to download it?

Ta :)

Does your workplace block Libsyn, or is there another reason you can't grab it from there? Is it something we can try and address?

Shaneus

Does your workplace block Libsyn, or is there another reason you can't grab it from there? Is it something we can try and address?
It's just my work proxy blocking it (Libsyn fits under "streaming media") so it's not a Thumbs thing. Normally I get around it by downloading the 'cast on my iPhone, but the unrestricted wifi is off the air as well.

You guys are doing everything right, no need to stress. Unless you want to provide a transcript, give me something to read at work whilst increasing your audience by including deaf people. Idle Thumbs for Idle Ears?

PS. Thanks BT, you're a lifesaver.

Chris! You didn't mention that you played tennis when my ruination cast topic on sports came up! And you mispronounced my last name! You've wrecked my October. :) Seriously though, I'm a big tennis fan myself, and from watching the stream and your comments on the show tennnes looks very promising.

MedHead

I just got the title of the previous episode. I like how that's a running joke for like three episodes now.
Yeah, that's a great joke. I really like the part about the titles, because that was seriously funny and I totally got the joke.

What part of the joke did you find the funniest? Would you mind repeating what you found funny so that I can know, too? I totally got the joke myself, so I'm just wanting to hear it repeated because I already know it, got it, and found it funny.

(What was the joke?)

Shaneus

PS. If you guys want some laughs, check out the names and account photos used on the current Thumbs' Twitter accounts. I don't know if they still have it there now, but it was definitely awesome as of a few hours ago.

PS. If you guys want some laughs, check out the names and account photos used on the current Thumbs' Twitter accounts. I don't know if they still have it there now, but it was definitely awesome as of a few hours ago.
Mindfuck, were they all Breckons? Is that why I have multiple Nicks on my "following"? FUCK NICK!

Chris! You didn't mention that you played tennis when my ruination cast topic on sports came up! And you mispronounced my last name! You've wrecked my October. :) Seriously though, I'm a big tennis fan myself, and from watching the stream and your comments on the show tennnes looks very promising.

I could have sworn I mentioned that I used to play tennis!

It's been many years. I stopped playing when I had to get surgery and was stuck in the hospital for a while, and kind of just fell out of it.

Shaneus

Mindfuck, were they all Breckons? Is that why I have multiple Nicks on my "following"? FUCK NICK!
"Mindfuck" is the perfect term. When I (thought I) saw Nick wish Jake a happy birthday, I wrote a tweet but as I wrote @ja2ke it came up with the name and the picture of Nick. Then I had to go through my feed and double-check everything I'd read up to that point.

Fuck (people pretending to be) Nick.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
A bit of a weakish cast this week. However, I'm glad that the lightning canonically established that the podcast is, in fact, told from Remo's perspective.

Shaneus

I *strongly* advise everyone to watch the Tested.com Oktobercast feat. Those Idle Thumbs. It's full of incredible info about the little details behind the Thirty Flights of Loving trailer and the fake magazine print thingy (so far... I'm only 20 mins into it).

And for those looking, here's the LinkedIn profile page that Chris refers to (I think).

Quick question for the guys: Did that other idea for the KS video (the one with the microphones in the trunk, Tarantino-style) actually come to fruition or was it only just storyboarded/discussed? I'd love to see it if you aren't hesitant about releasing it for public viewing :)

SmZA

Yeah, that's a great joke. I really like the part about the titles, because that was seriously funny and I totally got the joke.

What part of the joke did you find the funniest? Would you mind repeating what you found funny so that I can know, too? I totally got the joke myself, so I'm just wanting to hear it repeated because I already know it, got it, and found it funny.

(What was the joke?)

Nobody, answered, so I'm going to be less subtle. Can someone please explain what the fucking joke is?

Shaneus

I missed the bit about the titles, too. Unless he's referring to how last week's episode was "Happy Dishonored Halloween" and this week's one is "Happy Halloween".

Chris' reaction to a Whitta baby story. But if you're planning on watching the whole thing, don't click that. It's best to wait for it to come up!

flowsnake

I missed the bit about the titles, too. Unless he's referring to how last week's episode was "Happy Dishonored Halloween" and this week's one is "Happy Halloween".

Yeah, I just meant that. And I basically got confused earlier because I thought the "Dishonored Halloween" thing was said by Steve and that the next two episodes were continuing that joke, but I guess it was just this episode and last episode. But that wouldn't make much sense because the whole point was that it was a week before Halloween. I think I probably listened to the episode while half asleep...

The Tested thing made me wish even more that I had any idea what Idle Thumbs was before the Kickstarter.
I guess I'll wait for the third revival.

Jake

Yeah, I just meant that. And I basically got confused earlier because I thought the "Dishonored Halloween" thing was said by Steve and that the next two episodes were continuing that joke, but I guess it was just this episode and last episode. But that wouldn't make much sense because the whole point was that it was a week before Halloween. I think I probably listened to the episode while half asleep...

The Tested thing made me wish even more that I had any idea what Idle Thumbs was before the Kickstarter.
I guess I'll wait for the third revival.

Dishonored Halloween takes place a week before the holiday we are familiar with known as Halloween. That's all.

flowsnake

I got that, but I had a strong Scoops association with it for some reason and that threw me off and all I "got" was the obvious origin of the title. I still like the continuation of it to the next title though.

It might be just me, but it seems like for people who work at companies with narrative focused single player games as their main thing, the podcast seems to be pretty down on stories in games. It is all an a subjective thing, but it seems like Idle thumbs is down on anything that doesn't live up to the books they read. I am all for high standards in story telling, but saying that "all video games" (I guess maybe they meant most video games?) just play it safe is just off to me. Has anyone played Home yet? Analogue: A Hate Story? Trauma? Dear Esther? Oh well, maybe I am just remembering things out of context, but I sure wish they would talk more about games that try something new instead of complaining about games that don't.

Also, as long as I am complaining, did Mr. Remo really say he doesn't play modern games because "they are so repetitive" but then go on to say he played 100 hours of Binding of Isaac,X -Com over, and play FTL several times? It has been something I have been rolling around in my brain, and I can't make any sense of it. It seems like Chris Remo actually likes repetition. Am I off here?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It might be just me, but it seems like for people who work at companies with narrative focused single player games as their main thing, the podcast seems to be pretty down on stories in games. It is all an a subjective thing, but it seems like Idle thumbs is down on anything that doesn't live up to the books they read. I am all for high standards in story telling, but saying that "all video games" (I guess maybe they meant most video games?) just play it safe is just off to me. Has anyone played Home yet? Analogue: A Hate Story? Trauma? Dear Esther? Oh well, maybe I am just remembering things out of context, but I sure wish they would talk more about games that try something new instead of complaining about games that don't.

Also, as long as I am complaining, did Mr. Remo really say he doesn't play modern games because "they are so repetitive" but then go on to say he played 100 hours of Binding of Isaac,X -Com over, and play FTL several times? It has been something I have been rolling around in my brain, and I can't make any sense of it. It seems like Chris Remo actually likes repetition. Am I off here?
Those games are built with multiple playthroughs in mind so they have a lot of variation. Games with a more rigid structure aren't going to offer as much replay value.

Jintor

I can actually see that being a pretty reasonable proposition to take really. If you really love pre-made, author-controlled narratives, read books; if you love interacting with systemic games with light aesthetic drapings that allow you to essentially make/experience your own little side-stories, check out more games that err towards... well, that.

Not that story games aren't fucking rad as shit. The Walking Dead (well duh) and Virtue's Last Reward are kicking my face in.

I think we talked about Dear Esther on the cast, or at least on the Progresscast. (We didn't really revisit Progresscast topics because it's tough to have a conversation a second time on purpose and have it sound fresh.) I played Trauma but it didn't really have an impact on me. I haven't played those other games, but maybe I should!

Also, I don't begrudge games for having less-than-amazing stories when the games don't pretend the stories are amazing. A lot of games really shove their incredibly stupid stories up in my face all the time, and then of course I'm going to take issue with them. But if you don't have a ton of cutscenes and tons of dialogue and other really overt storytelling mechanisms, I'm a lot less likely to be bothered by it.

I like strong repeatable mechanics, which is different to simple repetition. Many games have you repeat similar things for hours on end, but you are effectively doing the exact same thing in every case; there aren't a lot of interlocking systems or the potential for interesting emergent situations. Often it's just the set dressing changing, but the substance of the repetition not changing. Games like the ones you list (roguelikes, etc.) generally have random elements, character customization/development and persistence, and an overarching structure that isn't fixed in a very specific arc, which allows the underlying mechanics to express themselves, and to allow the player a measure of meaningful expressiveness.

xenist

Repeatable and repetitive are different things.

Gomu Gomu

I just finished listening to the Idle Thumbs Octoberkast appearance. You guys were awesome.

Heh, that was the exact same face I made when I was listening to that
KuGsj.gif
. I've never seen this sucking tube thingy they were talking about in my life.
Also, Jake pointing at Chris and laughing was the best. I hope someone zoom in on Chris & Jake and GIF that moment.

Shaneus

Heh, that was the exact same face I made when I was listening to that
KuGsj.gif
. I've never seen this sucking tube thingy they were talking about in my life.
Also, Jake pointing at Chris and laughing was the best. I hope someone zoom in on Chris & Jake and GIF that moment.
I'm sure I've heard that it's actually something just a little bit different... different enough to make it far less gross. For some reason, I always thought the snot thing was done with something like this:
NasalAspirator.jpg

In fact, that's exactly the thing it's used for! This specific thing is a "baby nasal aspirator".

It's possible Whitta may have been talking about this:
S07008.jpg

Self-suctioning baby nasal aspirator - Before you say “Yuck!” let me illustrate how this works first. Place the upper part on your mouth and the suction on the baby’s nostril. Take a quick deep breath through the mouth to suck the mucus out. Don’t worry because it won’t directly go to your mouth because there is an assigned vessel for the mucus which will stop it from going to the second end of the tube.
But the impression I got (which I'm sure was the one Chris got as well) was that Gary was just using a straw to suck the mucus out, which basically resulted in one copping a mouthful of baby phlegm. Not this thing, which just uses your mouth as a source for the vacuum and not a receptacle for another living being's snot.

I'll leave you all with this, just to bring it back to Video Games.

Shaneus

Ohhhh... that was the one where you are basically the hacker involved in breaking into things? I remember that discussion/interview (or whatever).

sixghost

Does anyone remember back on the original run of Idle Thumbs, when they were talking about fog of war and the idea of a game where you are being hunted by one AI controlled boss the entire game?

I'm pretty sure Friday the 13th for the NES is based on that exact idea. Giantbomb did a 90 minute video of that game last week. I'd only ever heard terrible things about the game, but it seemed like an awesome idea.

Giantbomb Wiki said:
At the start of the game, the player must select one of six camp counselors to play as and explore the grounds of Camp Crystal Lake. A beeping sound indicates that Jason is closing in on a victim inside one of the cabins scattered around the grounds, and the player has only a limited amount of time to make it to the location before he kills his intended target. When the player encounters Jason in one of the cabins, a duel with Jason begins. If the player wins, Jason will be defeated, only to reappear elsewhere. The player may also encounter Jason while outdoors and be forced to fight him there, as well. Additionally, zombies and other enemies scattered around the camp will serve to antagonize the player as they make their way from cabin to cabin.

If the player can survive for three full days and nights, Jason can be defeated a final time to win the game. However, each time the player dies, they permanently lose their selected counselor and must select another of the six. If all six counselors are killed by Jason, the game ends.

kadotsu

Banned
This picture reminded me that the Kickstarter had a song reward tier. Are there any updates on the topics of the songs? I always liked the musical interludes in the early cast and hope they make a return in some form in the future.

sWuVB.jpg

I'll bet every member of the London Philharmonic has always wanted to have an album cover with an exploding helicopter. Serious musicians.

Gomu Gomu

I'll bet every member of the London Philharmonic has always wanted to have an album cover with an exploding helicopter. Serious musicians.
The funny thing is, there isn't a single modern shooter game in the track list.

This picture reminded me that the Kickstarter had a song reward tier. Are there any updates on the topics of the songs? I always liked the musical interludes in the early cast and hope they make a return in some form in the future.
I miss them too. But to be honest, at this point, I'm just glad we get weekly episodes. I imagine creating songs must be a long, tiring process, when you have a real job, a weekly gaming podcast and a monthly book cast. So I don't mind not having them.

It's possible Whitta may have been talking about this:
S07008.jpg

But the impression I got (which I'm sure was the one Chris got as well) was that Gary was just using a straw to suck the mucus out, which basically resulted in one copping a mouthful of baby phlegm. Not this thing, which just uses your mouth as a source for the vacuum and not a receptacle for another living being's snot.

Yeah, I had the same impression. This looks a lot better than what I had in mind.

Top Bottom