• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ice Cube's BIG3 (3v3 pro league for retired NBA players) starts airing June 26 on FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miker

This better be some NBA street type shit commentated by DJ Cucumber Slice or whatever the hell he goes by.

Heel

Also, is Grandpa Mobley going to show up?

CKmvjheW8AAVDD6.jpg

Hydrus

I hope this works out, cause it could be a ton of fun, but I have a feeling this thing wont last more then a season before money issues start popping up. Former star players going to feel like their worth millions and not thousands to play.

I hope this works out, cause it could be a ton of fun, but I have a feeling this thing wont last more then a season before money issues start popping up. Former star players going to feel like their worth millions and not thousands to play.

It's going to be scrubs that play in this. People expecting MJ, Pippen or even iverson are delusional. Those guys aren't going to embarrass themselves. Once the novelty wears off and you realize you are watching Kenyon Martin and Stephen Jackson play half court basketball I don't see the appeal lasting.

I have always wanted to see a professional take on 3 on 3 half court basketball. Hopefully it's not just for retired basketball players because there are plenty of streetball legends that never make it to the nba.

jwhit28

It's going to be scrubs that play in this. People expecting MJ, Pippen or even iverson are delusional. Those guys aren't going to embarrass themselves. Once the novelty wears off and you realize you are watching Kenyon Martin and Stephen Jackson play half court basketball I don't see the appeal lasting.

I can still see it being successful because Ice Cube is right, the summer is a dead period for sports unless you can get into Soccer or are really into pre-allstar break baseball. It would be nice if each team could get 1 pro though. It has to be safer than the regular summer leagues the superstars play in.

theWB27

Of course you would if you're expecting the NBA Senior Edition.

If Cube is smart he'll use the "retired players" gimmick to get eyeballs on it while he refines it into a 3 on 3 semi-pro league.

R-User!

Do they get the 90s NBC NBA theme???
That would be the shit!

Kobe could go to Europe and make an obscene amount to play for 1 season if he still wanted to play

That's true, but I would think Kobe would be drawn to the matchups, not the grind of the Europe league. Not the money. Dropping jumpers over players he might not have played against, or would like to play against.

Of course, realistically, he doesn't have anything to prove, and most of the biggest names would probably not be in this league; but you never know...

Tom Nook

Will be broadcast on FS1 and Fox Sports
Ice Cube’s BIG3 basketball tournament to broadcast on FS1, FOX

The first game of the BIG3 will air Monday, June 26 at 8 p.m. ET on FS1. The tournament’s championship game is scheduled for August 26 on FOX.

Teams:
3 Head Monsters

Ghost Ballers

Tri State

Killer 3s

Trilogy

3's Company

Rules:
  • Standard 2 and 3 point shots apply
  • Exclusive 4 point shots when a player is touching ANY PART of the “4 Point Circle”
  • Additional free throw taken if a player is fouled while making a shot
  • A shooting foul will receive the number of shots corresponding to the missed attempt (2, 3, 4 points)
  • All personal fouls will be counted as team fouls: No foul outs.
  • On and after the 5th team foul (per half) opponents get 2 shots and ball possession
  • A technical foul results in 2 foul shots & the ball. Every technical foul after the first results in 4 foul shots & ball possession
  • First team to 60 Points wins
  • Half-time happens after a team scores 30 Points
  • Team must win by 4 Points
  • Substitutions made on a dead ball or by calling time
  • After a made shot, referee must touch the ball. After giving the defense :03 seconds to set, losers (opposing team) must take ball beyond the top out of bounds line. Player has :05 seconds to return ball inbounds
  • Defensive rebounds (that touch the rim) MUST BE CLEARED
  • The ball is cleared when the player with the ball establishes both feet behind the 3 point line. The ball can be cleared by dribbling or passing
  • The defensive rebounder that makes a direct pass that clears the ball, must clear the lane and re-establish himself before his team's shot or pass hits the rim
  • If a shot or pass hits the rim without being cleared it will result in a turnover
  • Once a team has cleared the ball and establishes itself on offense, the normal “3 seconds in the key” rule applies
  • There is no defensive "3 second" rule
  • Steals do not have to be cleared
  • Defensive rebounds that don’t touch the rim do not have to be cleared
  • Instant replay applies
  • All defensive strategies allowed

http://www.big3.com/index.php

Sounds awesome, the only one that has me slightly confused/concerned is
  • Steals do not have to be cleared

Does that mean if a post player has the ball and gets it stripped the other team can just dunk it/lay it in immediately off of that play without having to pass or move in any direction other than to the basket? Could lead to some pretty crazy plays if that's what it is.

Brinbe

Killer 3s is preeeetty good... Antoine Walker shooting exclusively 4s would be life-fulfilling.

RquzbVi.png

Oh shit, I know who I'm rooting for. Captain Jack and Oak teaming up? Yes pls... Give them a Wu-Tang intro and we're set.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Will be broadcast on FS1 and Fox Sports
Ice Cube’s BIG3 basketball tournament to broadcast on FS1, FOX

Teams:
3 Head Monsters

Ghost Ballers

Tri State

Killer 3s

Trilogy

3's Company

Rules: