• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2017 (Jun 12 - Jun 18)

1 million WW would be failure as even pokken is able to beat that number quite easily on Wii U without any free updates.

The least they should get for ARMS to be a success for me is 3 million WW. Their investment towards this new IP does not sounds like they are looking for some modest number at all.

100k FW in Japan is a great first step for sure. But i am talking about long term goals. If it only end up like 1 mil WW LTD, that is a guaranted failure for me and Nintendo i believe.

Some big goals you have lol. I would think if its 1mil WW after its first month it would be considered a success by Nintendo. Curious as to what the western audience will think of it.

13ruce

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Switch is over 500k already.

Wii U + Switch combined = 637 750 units.
Units left to 1m: 362 250 units
Weeks left before the end of year: 28 weeks
Needs: 12 937 units/week.

Looking pretty good so far. Right now, Switch version sales are directly tied to the amount of Switch units shipped to retailers.

Uhm it can sell past 1m after a year too:p so why is everyone counting weeks left? As if it needs to sell a million in a year it can pass a million in 4 years even.

And even then it released in march so you would need to add 3 more months.

ggx2ac

Switch hardware for the week was half of what I expected.

Would be bad if shipments went back down to 25k next week.

Makes you wonder when production will ramp up if ever. (Waiting for Splatoon 2 now.)

marmoka

Banned
switch_zps5mgga51r.jpg

These graphs are always cool to take a look.

I wonder how Switch would be performing in the second graph is there was no lack of stock. Al least the sales rhythm is regular.

Vinnk

The least they should get for ARMS to be a success for me is 3 million WW. Their investment towards this new IP does not sounds like they are looking for some modest number at all.

Starting a brand new IP is hard and sometimes you take a loss for a first installment to pave the way for a more successful sequel.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
1 million WW would be failure as even pokken is able to beat that number quite easily on Wii U without any free updates.

100k FW in Japan is a great first step for sure. But i am talking about long term goals. If it only end up like 1 mil WW LTD, that is a guaranted failure for me and Nintendo i believe.

you know that Pokken is...well...Pokemon-based, right?
nobody know Twintelle, for sake, compared to that Yellow electric mouse on the Pokken cover...

casiopao

Some big goals you have lol. I would think if its 1mil WW after its first month it would be considered a success by Nintendo. Curious as to what the western audience will think of it.

Haha. My expectation is directly related to the investment Ninty throw in into the series there lol.

And i dont think 3 mil is going to be impossible to reach at all considering that Switch is still under huge shoetages so the more people own Switch, it would increase ARMS sales too. And this is not even counting the holiday boost ARMS going to receive so its potential is still limitless. The only thing that could kill the legs for me is ARMS 2 being announced.

I'm really happy for Nier, but isn't this pretty untypical in Japan? We rarely see J-RPGs stay in the TOP 10, what's the secret with Nier?

The secret is it's the best game of the year and Japanese gamers are doing the lord's work and spreading the good word.

L~A

18./21. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.571) - 2.145 / 2.783.005

Back again, heh?

Noticed 3DS sales were down YoY this week, biggest drop in a while.

noshten

Haha. My expectation is directly related to the investment Ninty throw in into the series there lol.

And i dont think 3 mil is going to be impossible to reach at all considering that Switch is still under huge shoetages so the more people own Switch, it would increase ARMS sales too. And this is not even counting the holiday boost ARMS going to receive so its potential is still limitless. The only thing that could kill the legs for me is ARMS 2 being announced.

I think the investment are directly related towards Nintendo's marketing strategy for the Switch. They push out a title - continue to promote it for a few weeks and move on promoting the next title in their schedule. Arms is benefited from being launched earlier during the Switch's lifetime. Due to shortage of big Nintendo titles the GlobalTestPunch and the marketing had much more effect on people on the fence.

3 million is no doubt something that could be achieved if Nintendo can sort out the manufacturing and supply issues and updates are well received. I think once more traditional 3DS audience is able to buy a Switch - it's accessibility due to motion controls and multiplayer on the go would make it a very good game for new owners to potentially buy.

Playing ARMS I think it'll do decently well but likely less than the original Splatoon World Wide. Interesting it managed to outsell the Tekken and SFV sales by that much.
I can see it doing like 2-3M...maybe. Less than 2M would probably be a failure to Nintendo

casiopao

Starting a brand new IP is hard and sometimes you take a loss for a first installment to pave the way for a more successful sequel.

But we are talking about Ninty though.... the famously super stingy company lol.&#9825;~&#9825;

you know that Pokken is...well...Pokemon-based, right?
nobody know Twintelle, for sake, compared to that Yellow electric mouse on the Pokken cover...

Well both had its pro and cons.

Pokken being on Wii U game, no updates is going to limit its potential sales.

Being a pokemon franchise can also be both a pro and cons as while it had a whole pokemon fans being potential target, it will be some barrier for those who are not interested toward Pokemon IP.

Vs

ARMS released on Switch which is highly wanted, had future big free updates which will help for legs and being a fresh new IP that many Nintendo fans had been keep asking so there are huge chance many are going to support the series.

I cant said Pokken being pokemon IP literally going to be advantageous against ARMS.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Switch is over 500k already.

Wii U + Switch combined = 637 750 units.
Units left to 1m: 362 250 units
Weeks left before the end of year: 28 weeks
Needs: 12 937 units/week.

Looking pretty good so far. Right now, Switch version sales are directly tied to the amount of Switch units shipped to retailers.
That doesn't count digital sales, so it might be closer to 700K already.

Celine

PS4 is holding up better than expected (I thought it would sell less than 20K/weekly in the slow summer months).

Switch, well, the problem is always the same:
Lack of stocks make it impossible to gauge the potential.

hiska-kun

Famitsu has ARMS at 122,007. They do include download cards, so the cards apparently sold quite well.

Well, download cards are also included for other software like Zelda or Mario Kart, but these games have lower LTD numbers than Media Create.
So I'm pretty sure that this difference is another typical tracker difference and no related to download cards (also Amazon.jp is only tracked by Media Create, and they were the ones selling the download codes with the Splatoon 2 discount, so these cards are not counted by Famitsu).

Pokken came out before Pokémon Go exploded the brand again and it was on Wii U. Still sold over a million.
The added portability, characters and modes and being on a system that's actually selling should help out quite a bit

I'm curious to why Nintendo pushed so many titles close together but nothing big for November/December. Seems like a bad strategy if the stock issue is still bad.

noshten

Pokken came out before Pokémon Go exploded the brand again and it was on Wii U. Still sold over a million.
The added portability, characters and modes and being on a system that's actually selling should help out quite a bit

I mean by the end of 2017 there will probably more million selling fighting game on the Switch than the Wii U's entire lifespan.

I'm curious to why Nintendo pushed so many titles close together but nothing big for November/December. Seems like a bad strategy if the stock issue is still bad.

They only need a Splatoon 2 bundle and enough supply for December to be the biggest since the 3DS launch holiday.

do we really need a post for this?

;)

tumblr_oq4ce0kMWt1qaywrho3_540.gif

Its possible that they knew their own software would sell regardless of when it launches, and they were hoping they their software gets people to buy the switch, then by the time the holidays roll around people buying a second/third/etc game will pick up third party software. Just a guess but not unreasonable.

Aleh

Nice result for Arms! And the biggest Switch games are all in the top 3, I wonder just how good the sales could be if supply wasn't so limited.

Thatanas

Keep momentum going while working to increase supply. We also know that Xenoblade 2 is still coming 2017, so that is most likely their November/December game.

Vinnk

They already can't make enough systems for demand. For Christmas the evergreen titles (Zelda, Mario, Splatoon) will sell fine to new owners. But had this system not been a smash out of the gate, I bet Mario would have been held back for release closer to the holidays.

KAORIII

Neo Member
100k fw in recent Japanese market should be considered as a success (but not a huge success, in my opinion). The next question is LEGS.

This is my expectation...
300k LTD=moderate success
500k LTD=huge success
1m LTD=splatoon

Obviously, if switch can sell 20m or more in japan, ARMS has a big chance to sell 1m LTD. But it isn't a problem. It will still be a splatoon-level success.

marmoka

Banned
Anti-Nintendo squad is still figuring out how to spin this, stay tuned.

Nice numbers for ARMS, hope the drop next week is not too steep.

Some people are almost salty because there's a thread about ARMS debut in Japan. If they don't care about that thread or don't like the news, it's quite easy what they need to do, just ignore it, but no, they had to complain.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Given how Nintendo has planned the console's lineup so far, I believe there won't be holes. Also, Xenoblade 2 has no exact release date yet.

casiopao

I agree that Pokken dont benefit from Poke Go effect there. Which is why, it is going to be interesting to see whether the Pokken DX is going to do even much better vs Wii U version here.

November they had Xeno 2 right? And also ultra sun and moon also around that time right? They probably just wanted 3ds to get its final big holiday this year.

a MC thread with no fan wars is a little bit strange :p, it's been strangely in peace so far

U are baiting for moar MH talk huh.

Tonton

Lets hope it's getting around that FW or it'd be a bit of a decline from Sen 1 & 2 (believe they were each around ~ 140k FW)
I think a decline is unavoidable being PS4 only, the question is if they can still do >100k
Lower than that we can probably consider it a failure

I think a decline is unavoidable being PS4 only, the question is if they can still do >100k
Lower than that we can probably consider it a failure

I suppose the gamble they're taking is on western + steam sales, which could probably make up a substantial difference when I think about it.

I am pretty sure that Nintendo goal is a lot lower than 3 Million or 2 or 1... Even Breath of the Wild only needed 2 Million to break even.... Also Pokkens have Pokemons.... 3 Million is Splatoon level of success AKA a phenomenom. BTW i think that is possible 3 million.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So to follow up on our older global fighting game market discussion, Injustice 1 opened at about 730K in the US, while Injustice 2 opened at around 800K with a much higher average revenue due to all the special editions.

As such, I don't think we see any strong evidence of fighting game market contraction in the US, especially given For Honor is still the #2 game for the year, so there's a pretty good potential for ARMS to have a strong performance in the US as well.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Almost 38,000 units is a bit lower than the window I imagined for this week (40,000 - 50,000), but quite close to the minimum, so...neat. The most important question is if Nintendo will be able to still keep weekly sales somewhat higher than May's 27k in the lead-up to Splatoon 2. Certainly, between Japan and US (being lower than PS4 probably means that 200k is the maximum, given PS4's performance in April and how May's PS4+Xbox One total was just slightly lower than April's), Nintendo could've added produced units to a "reserve" they could use in the next future. I wonder if they'll be able to add a bit more in June as well.

With more than 100k opening Arms won't sell only 300k. Half million should be the bar of success in Japan with 1m a huge success.

All games with >500k sales within a year can be counted on one hand nowadays, while there's also a group of games that are considered successful (or at least reasonably) that get stuck between 300k and 400k. To be very strict, if 500k is the minimum to be called successful, it would mean that Persona 5, Dark Souls 3 and NieR: Automata aren't successful. It isn't as black/white as both you and I portray it right now. Youkai Watch 3 of course did sell a shipload of copies, but was it a success? No, because the measure of success is different for that game. Same for Monster Hunter XX.

Top Bottom