• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Chasers Nightwar |OT| Party Like its 1998!

KiraXD

uXZWCzR.png

aHkcClv.png

Battle Chasers was a popular comic from 1998-2001 that was created by Joe Madureira featuring a rich mixture of fantasy and science in a colorful universe. Interestingly it was never concluded because Joe Madureira left the comic industry to get into, what else, VIDEO GAMES!

TyHrnWb.png

O2HHrtn.png

Fast Forward 16 years and we are finally seeing a conclusion and a video game based on those comics!

Battle Chasers Nightwar can be played independently of comic lore knowledge (all is revealed with comic book style panels and cutcenes) And picks up after the end of the comic series.
Nightwar is an RPG inspired by the classic console greats, featuring deep dungeon diving, turn-based combat presented in a classic JRPG format, and a rich story driven by exploration of the world.

Release Date: 10/3/2017
Platform: PS4, XB1, Windows - Steam, GOG, Switch (Switch is slightly delayed with TBA date)
Price: $29.99 (39.99 Switch)
Publisher: THQNordic

Features:
~Classic turn-based combat inspired by the console RPG greats, with a unique overcharge mana system and incredible Battle Bursts.

~Beautiful, randomly-generated dungeons loaded with traps, puzzles, secrets and loot.

~Explore an overworld peppered with hidden dungeons, rare bosses and randomly appearing friends and foes.

~Build your adventuring party by choosing three of six available heroes from the classic Battle Chasers comic series, each with unique abilities, perks, items and dungeon skills.

~Dive into the deep crafting system, using the unique ingredient-overloading system to create epic items!

~Fishing! (which isnt JUST a mini game, used to get unique items and such...)

~Crafting!

~Classic Style Overworld

~Garen from LoL! (inside joke for BC fans...)

Your Party Members:
Calibretto the War Golem, Gully the girl with the Gauntlets, Garrison the washed up ex-soldier, Knolan the quirky Wizard, Red Monika the roguish thief, and Alumon the mysterious Demon Hunter.

In-game Manual
https://imgur.com/a/nihnP

pe7uOr7.png

zgQDRyr.gif

ZBQHY4C.gif

UWu90Rc.gif

wHkBM6P.gif

LPKH9FP.gif

fi7EUxr.gif

7ReilJY.gif

wA3LK4k.gif

Nb0zlbJ.jpg

8rMvDOd.jpg

BTS
CVs1qnX.gif

Character Featurettes (more to come!)
Knolan!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vJiqo_gKs8

Animated Cutscenes by POWERHOUSE Animation (Who recently brought us the Castelvania Netflix animation)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfpA3otoTAQ

tO6LUYu.png

Opencritic:
http://opencritic.com/game/4905/battle-chasers-nightwar

Metacritic:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/battle-chasers-nightwar

PSU (9.0)
http://www.psu.com/review/34351/battle-chasers-nightwar-review

EGM (9.0)
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/battle-chasers-nightwar-review

Dualshockers (8.5)
https://www.dualshockers.com/battle-chasers-nightwar-review-ps4-pc-switch-xbox-one/
"Through hours of RPG combat and dungeon exploring, the game manages to stay interesting and fresh, which makes it difficult to put down."

Game Informer (7.75)
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/b...le-chasers-nightwar-game-informer-review.aspx

"The balancing problems create an uneven play experience, which is disappointing considering the good things this stylish RPG has to offer. Airship Syndicate's gorgeous art design and fluid animations are a wonder to watch, and Nightwar's overcharge ability system offers a layer of strategy that is often missing from turn-based RPGs."

Playstation Lifestyle (7.5)
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/10/02/battle-chasers-nightwar-review-headline-ps4/

"While not without its fair share of problems and technical issues, Battle Chasers: Nightwar still manages to provide plenty of tense battles that challenge players."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 10/14/17!

Patch 1.02 is out fixing saved data corruption and most crashing bugs (crashing is mostly fixed, theyre still working on a few more, but they have a new save system that works under the hood making sure your save wont corrupt while auto saving)

Ricker

Nice,someone on my PS4 friendlist is playing it,sent him a message on how it is and how he got it and all but no reply yet hehe...anyway,I'm definetly picking this up at some point.

Ventara

Looking good. Just saw the coming soon Switch box for it at EB and was thinking of checking it out. I've been wanting a good dungeon crawler for the Switch and this might be it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow that looks great!

May even buy the trade to read ahead of the game launch.

I Kickstarted this game on day one and was planning to get it on my PS4 but the allure of handheld play was too strong, so I opted for the Switch version.

Now I get an indefinite delay.

The true Battlechasers experience.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm very interested in it but will wait for reviews.

Anyway, how long is this?

Retsudo

I still have the original comics somewhere back home, cant wait to play this. The art style alone is enough to knock me out. Hopefully the reviews come back positive for this game.

Orca

Played the PAX beta and should have code for the game soon. Looking forward to it, really liked the combat and that Joe Mad art is amazing.

Exentryk

I've never read the comics but will be there day 1 on PC. The turn based combat, world map, beautiful art-style, and comic style story telling has me excited! Don't like the randomly generated crap, but let's see.

KiraXD

still updating the main post so please excuse the mess so far XD

I'm very interested in it but will wait for reviews.

Anyway, how long is this?

i believe it was stated to be epic length, so anywhere between 50 for a simple run through, to 100's for NG+ and 100% stuff.

Ricker

still updating the main post so please excuse the mess so far XD

i believe it was stated to be epic length, so anywhere between 50 for a simple run through, to 100's for NG+ and 100% stuff.

Cool...you got dibs on the OT Kira...? you should ;)

Oh Wow didn't know this was a turn based RPG in the style of JRPG. Art direction looks nice as well. I didn't even know this thing existed but know it's on my radar. Thanks OP. Any info on cost?

Skilletor

I've played like 10 hours of the beta. It's pretty straight forward, but the battle system has a lot of fun layers as you progress. Your characters unlock skills they can use on the map against enemies for prebattle buffs or heals, there are TONS of abilitys/points for character progression. Animations are super awesome and the game just looks awesome overall. As a huge Battle Chasers fan, it's everything I wanted. Glad I backed it and can't wait to dig in in a couple weeks.

KiraXD

Cool...you got dibs on the OT Kira...? you should ;)

At first i wanted to... but its too intimidating, i hope someone with more OT experience can do it justice, they have my permission! XD

for now ill just stick with this little PSA post.

I keep forgetting this exists even though it's high on my list of anticipated games. Will probably wait for the Switch release though since a loot/JRPG hybrid sounds perfect for portability.

Thanks for the OP!

bummed Switch version was slightly delayed :(

Still debating whether or not to read the trades before this launches

Doesn't exactly capture what I would envision for a video game adaptation of the comic book series. They already had a template with Darksiders which I would have preferred, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

This is 100% the game Joe Mad was thinking of making back in the 90's when he was playing games instead of drawing comics, ha ha. Great that it's finally coming out!

DMiz

I'm still sad about the news that this game was delayed. This seemed like just what I was hoping to have in my pocket/bag on the go.

Here's hoping that they will announce the new release date for Switch soon!

Skilletor

Doesn't exactly capture what I would envision for a video game adaptation of the comic book series. They already had a template with Darksiders which I would have preferred, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Battle Chasers was always Mad's take on D & D. This is perfect.

I couldn't be happier with how it's turned out.

Kurumi

I would like to thank the GAFers who posted this game in their list for games they'll be getting in October. Otherwise I wouldn't have known about this game coming out.

I love Joe Madureira's art style and character designs.

KiraXD

I would like to thank the GAFers who posted this game in their list for games they'll be getting in October. Otherwise I wouldn't have known about this game coming out.

I love Joe Madureira's art style and character designs.

Hope more people see it too!!! This is gonna be one of those "under the radar" games since its not being advertised as a AAA. Hope everyone whos into these types of dungeon-crawler-jrpg-dnd-loot-based-steampunk-scifi/fantasy games gets a peek and checks it out.

BT-727

Neo Member
Interviewed Steve Madureira, Lead Designer and Animation Director at Airship Syndicate.

On Unity issues because that engine hasn't been too good for most console games:

”We encountered normal and expected development challenges for the different platforms, each having their quirks and benefits," says Madureira. "We have some longer load times I think when you initially launch the game and some things are loading in the background."

”It should become less pronounced as you play in a session and more things are fully loaded," he adds. "Certain scenarios like loading into the game and getting into combat right away will force a wait while it loads the creatures it needs."

On the Switch version:

"The Switch version will be delayed as we are waiting for Unity to address an issue we've encountered, hopefully not too long,"he says.

On the Switch tax being a deterrent to buyers:

”I think the Switch offers something very unique in that you can play it on the go, and think that a lot of gamers, myself included, won't be too discouraged by the higher cost," says Madureira. "I'm playing Breath of the Wild right now and love being able to take it with me anywhere."

Oh and no iOS/Android version in the works. More info here including some game design choices they've made: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/featu...ax-unity-engine-game-design-interview-1756808

Been playing the game for review on a PS4 Pro. Barring a couple of loading issues, it's been rock solid. There's a day 1 patch in the works so all goes well, it should be ok.

KiraXD

Interviewed Steve Madureira, Lead Designer and Animation Director at Airship Syndicate.

On Unity issues because that engine hasn't been too good for most console games:

On the Switch version:

On the Switch tax being a deterrent to buyers:

Oh and no iOS/Android version in the works. More info here including some game design choices they've made: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/featu...ax-unity-engine-game-design-interview-1756808

Been playing the game for review on a PS4 Pro. Barring a couple of loading issues, it's been rock solid. There's a day 1 patch in the works so all goes well, it should be ok.

I believe the day 1 patch adresses a few issues beta testers had with running speed being a little slow, and some other QoL tweaks suggested over on their community forum... They did an amazing job listening to player feedback over there!

Really excited for this game (I know little to nothing of Battle Chasers but I really liked the art of Darksiders and this, plus I used to love JRPGs).

BT-727

Neo Member
I believe the day 1 patch adresses a few issues beta testers had with running speed being a little slow, and some other QoL tweaks suggested over on their community forum... They did an amazing job listening to player feedback over there!

Yeah seems that way. Embargo lifts October 2, 9am CET.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if this is a good lenght, ill day 1 it if only because Im a huge Joe Mad fanboy... but if its another 5-8 hour joint, im out Joe, sorry!

if this is a good lenght, ill day 1 it if only because Im a huge Joe Mad fanboy... but if its another 5-8 hour joint, im out Joe, sorry!

It says 15.5 on howlongtobeat. Considering is an RPG and that it cost about 29.9, I'm convinced it'll last just around that.

Edit: Considering the overall of most games I've seen there, it should lats me 20hs, it's always a 20/30% more for me.

It says 15.5 on howlongtobeat. Considering is an RPG and that it cost about 29.9, I'm convinced it'll last just around that.

Edit: Considering the overall of most games I've seen there, it should lats me 20hs, it's always a 20/30% more for me.
The game isn't even out yet where are you getting those numbers?

googly

I'm definitely going to pick this up, didn't know it was coming out so soon!

I still have all my Battle Chasers comics, love the art style.

Skilletor

I've got like 10 hours in the beta, lol.

Game isn't even out yet. That can't be right.

I Berserk'd myself by reading the whole series earlier this year...completely heartbroken there wasn't more. The release sneaked up on me, and I can't wait to play it!

GavinUK86

I've been a Battle Chasers fan since the beginning so I was ecstatic when they launched the Kickstarter. Can't wait to get my hands on the full game. It'll be really interesting to read the new comic issues Joe Mad's promised to release after the game launch too. Like someone else said, I always envisioned a Battle Chasers game to be like Darksiders but that ship's already sailed so turn-based was the easiest option, especially with it being on the Unity engine.

aeiron

Neo Member
So excited for this game. I backed it but chose the Switch version. Plenty to play right now and just picked up the SNES classic so I can wait.

KiraXD

melkier33

Excited to finally play this. Almost wish I didn't back this just so I can preload it. Hopefully they get keys sent out before the 3rd, yes I'm that impatient to play this.

Nosgoth

Neo Member
Already preordered on steam, will have a 6 day vacation to enjoy this and finish up some of my backlog.

Plays really decent on the PS4. That said, I played it on the PS4 Pro, but I don't think the game has any PS4 Pro enhancements that I'm aware of.

Top Bottom