• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC's "Dark Days"/"Dark Knights: Metal"event SPOILER thread

Langobalt

Neo Member
I agree that Red death was so good. also at the end of the one shot

the batman who laughs says "let me tell you a secret. All it takes is one bad day."
Would love it if his origin story is that it's the killing joke batman that decided to kill the joker.

I've been really digging this event so far. DC has been firing on all engines with Rebirth.

One question though, how does the Batman Who Laughs....see?

I've been really digging this event so far. DC has been firing on all engines with Rebirth.

One question though, how does the Batman Who Laughs....see?

He seems to have an array of outright magic powers (
bestowable reality warping and demonic possession of others
) so seeing is probably a minor issue. Might also have a visor inside the cowl. Or more likely than either is rule of cool.

VeeP

Does the red skies in the Red Death one shot have to do with anything, like the Anti Moniter appearing? Or is it something else?

MartyStu

I agree that Red death was so good. also at the end of the one shot

the batman who laughs says "let me tell you a secret. All it takes is one bad day."
Would love it if his origin story is that it's the killing joke batman that decided to kill the joker.

This is a really cool idea.

I would actually be sort of disappointed if this is not the intent.

Does the red skies in the Red Death one shot have to do with anything, like the Anti Moniter appearing? Or is it something else?

It's a reference to that yeah but it doesn't seem to be directly related to the Anti-Monitor , the Dark Multiverse is just in a permanent state of flux with worlds constantly being created and destroyed as someone experiences a fear and then it passes (so it's in a permanent state of Crisis pretty much).

Judging by Red Death and Gotham Resistance it seems like these Batsmen are taking over the city associated with their non-Batman part and turning it into their Gotham to recapture what they lost when their worlds were destroyed.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
The "Gotham Resistance" tie-ins are pretty nice so far, helps that the artist on Nightwing is great.

Red Death was fine if you ask me, good to see Williamson fitting in well at DC. Love his creator owned stuff, especially Nailbitter and Birthright.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Red Death was so cool. I love than when he runs, instead of lighting it's red and black bats that fly off of him.

geomon

That's The Bleed. It shows up every time the multiverse is changed. Basically you know you're dealing with some serious shit every time the skies goes red.

Also I found it confusing that Barry didn't have his Negative Speed Force powers as he does in his current book.

Kallor

Just caught up on #1. #2 is out as well right? and 3 is next month?

With the forge and day of casting its all very good so far. love it!

MartyStu

Yeah. Have loved pretty much everything Snyder has written....except this. The Dark Batmen designs are cool though (shrugs).

It is Snyder doing his best Morrison impression.

I quite like it.

The world could use more Morrison-like madness.

Well Batman Murder Machine is out. Interestingly this Batman / Cyborg analogue actually seems more like a Batman / OMAC analogue in many ways, the only real Cyborg link is that his worlds Cyborg helped in his creation and thus they share some technology.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
The whole "Gotham Resistance" storyline across Nightwing->Teen Titans->Suicide Squad->Green Arrow was pretty nice. Along with the Dark Knights issues, I dig how the tie-ins are handled with Metal. So much that I hope they have a second wave of them planned for the back half of the event.

In that preview, it looks like
Barbatos is using some sort of Omega Sanction on WW and Supes
. Interesting...

The whole "Gotham Resistance" storyline across Nightwing->Teen Titans->Suicide Squad->Green Arrow was pretty nice. Along with the Dark Knights issues, I dig how the tie-ins are handled with Metal. So much that I hope they have a second wave of them planned for the back half of the event.

In that preview, it looks like
Barbatos is using some sort of Omega Sanction on WW and Supes
. Interesting...

There is a JL tie in set over the next month Flash / JLA / Hal Jordan / JLA.

And they have announced 1 more book in February, which seems to be a look at the larger superheroic community during the event.

Afrodium

Banned
This is shaping up to be one of my favorite comic events. Hopefully the quality keeps up throughout. A PhD in DC comics is kinda required though.

Dalek

This is shaping up to be one of my favorite comic events. Hopefully the quality keeps up throughout. A PhD in DC comics is kinda required though.

It’s really phenomenal and they’ve succeeded in making this entire scenario seem hopeless for our heroes. Hopefully Hal and Mr. Teriffic can figure something out.

What was up with that code though ?
Seriously Bruce, two notes at the beginning of a song
conveying letters in reverse order ? That's your idea of a message ? Like outside of the Bat Family,
there's maybe 5 people in the entire DCU that it would make sense to expect to get that. And Clark and Diana aren't on that list.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
conveying letters in reverse order ? That's your idea of a message ? Like outside of the Bat Family,
there's maybe 5 people in the entire DCU that it would make sense to expect to get that. And Clark and Diana aren't on that list.

Yep, think Bruce just assumes everyone has a plan for everything like he does

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
The whole thing reminds me of when Kulan Gath took over NYC in X-Men. Just general craziness, a sense of hopelessness, and heroes in real danger. Good stuff.

Dalek

I have to admit that part was really non-sensical.

Keym

I think they just wanted to shoehorn in
the Batman theme song
in any way they could.

Also, does anyone know why Dawnbreaker sometimes looks sort of zombified? His backstory didn't show how that would happen...

I think they just wanted to shoehorn in
the Batman theme song
in any way they could.

Also, does anyone know why Dawnbreaker sometimes looks sort of zombified? His backstory didn't show how that would happen...

Nothing textually explicit I did see one fan theory that sort of makes sense:
In Dawnbreaker's universe Nekron was imprisoned in the Central Power Battery instead of Parallax and Bruce become it's vessel when he forced the ring to kill. It explains the Darkness Powers / Reanimation of his parents / skeletal bat and the zombie pallor.

Okay re:The Drowned, I think someone has lost track of the Dark Knights being reflections of fears or hopes because
"What if I was born female?" doesn't seem like something Batman is going to be particularly worried or hopeful about* (also why did she say I'm write here in Metal 2, she's Bryce not Bruce).

It's even weirder since a thing Bruce/Bryce would fear is also presented: A loved one dying at the hand of metas and going completely whackjob. Though A++ on somehow managing to bring about magical effects through science. (I think the implication here is that Bryce find Dead Water and used that to soup herself up and create her army but it's not exactly clear to me as someone who doesn't read Aquaman).
. These parallels seem to make less and less sense as hopes/fears of Batman as the series goes along.

[ *Not because it's not a valid concern in our society but because at best for someone who wasn't it's at best a fairly non-concerning hypothetical.

Ross61

Okay re:The Drowned, I think someone has lost track of the Dark Knights being reflections of fears or hopes because
"What if I was born female?" doesn't seem like something Batman is going to be particularly worried or hopeful about* (also why did she say I'm write here in Metal 2, she's Bryce not Bruce).

It's even weirder since a thing Bruce/Bryce would fear is also presented: A loved one dying at the hand of metas and going completely whackjob. Though A++ on somehow managing to bring about magical effects through science. (I think the implication here is that Bryce find Dead Water and used that to soup herself up and create her army but it's not exactly clear to me as someone who doesn't read Aquaman).
. These parallels seem to make less and less sense as hopes/fears of Batman as the series goes along.

[ *Not because it's not a valid concern in our society but because at best for someone who wasn't it's at best a fairly non-concerning hypothetical.
FWIW:
Earth 11 is a gender swapped world.

FWIW:
Earth 11 is a gender swapped world.

Yeah I know and
-52* doesn't seem to have a parallel, Earth -44 is parallel to 44 which has a robot Justice League, Earth -32 is a parallel to 32 which is based on the In Darkest Knight elseworld but extended to be amalgams of pairs of various heroes/villains rather than Lanterns specifically, and -11 is as you said a parallel to 11 which is genderswap.

*It seems to parallel the pre-N52 Earth 31 which was Dark Knight Returns
. And that's all very well but the worlds are either hopes / fears or parallels to "real worlds" , I guess you can do both but they don't seem to have pulled it off.

Top Bottom