• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get Even - Review Thread

takoyaki

Is this a walking simulator?

walking, shooting, stealth, puzzles and investigation like in Condemned, wrapped in a great story that's supposed to fuck with you while playing. Check out a trailer and read a review, seems to be a really interesting genre-mix/sleeper hit.

It's a FPS (literally shooter) with mind-fuckery story elements, flashbacks and investigation.

walking, shooting, stealth, puzzles and investigation like in Condemned, wrapped in a great story that's supposed to fuck with you while playing. Check out a trailer and read a review, seems to be a really interesting genre-mix/sleeper hit.

This sounds really cool. I will watch some videos.

xrnzaaas

For me it's a weak 6/10 game. Sure the story is intriguing and doesn't reveal all the cards straight away, but the game has some big problems. Like the combat is bad (also it's much easier to rely on stealth) and the graphics are really awful for most of the time (or it's so dark you have to use the UV light).

I don't think I can agree with Push Square's opinion on the audio though. It's an important part of the experience even though some sounds at first might feel strange or broken. Or they can even become tiring
the party!
, but that's part of the game.

DukeBobby

For me it's a weak 6/10 game. Sure the story is intriguing and doesn't reveal all the cards straight away, but the game has some big problems. Like the combat is bad (also it's much easier to rely on stealth) and the graphics are really awful for most of the time (or it's so dark you have to use the UV light).

I don't think I can agree with Push Square's opinion on the audio though. It's an important part of the experience even though some sounds at first might feel strange or broken. Or they can even become tiring
the party!

Yeah, the game definitely has its problems, especially the combat scenarios which are thankfully mostly avoidable. Also, even with the 13gb patch, the game is buggy as hell. I've gotten stuck in the environment several times, causing me to reload my last checkpoint. Still, I'm enjoying my time with it.

I also thought Push Square's opinion on the audio was odd. The review makes some very valid points, but the audio (voice acting, sound design and music) is pretty much faultless.

xrnzaaas

Yeah, the game definitely has its problems, especially the combat scenarios which are thankfully mostly avoidable. Also, even with the 13gb patch, the game is buggy as hell. I've gotten stuck in the environment several times, causing me to reload my last checkpoint. Still, I'm enjoying my time with it.

Oh yes I already got stuck more than 5 times (in all cases it was pre patch). Really annoying.

I completely agree. I reviewed this game and was shocked to see some of the high scores (7s/8s). Get Even has you playing as an assassin, but the combat is terrible... you'd think that's the first thing the developers would get right.

DukeBobby

I completely agree. I reviewed this game and was shocked to see some of the high scores (7s/8s). Get Even has you playing as an assassin, but the combat is terrible... you'd think that's the first thing the developers would get right.

Clearly, their main focus was on the storytelling. The combat feels like an afterthought.

Like SOMA, the game wouldn't be any worse without the enemy encounters.

Gilzor

Combat is easily the worst part of the game for me, but we're thankfully not talking about a Call of Duty-like shooter here. It's easy for me to overlook because I love what the game's doing so far as story and sound. And as mentioned, it's easy enough to just sneak through most encounters. I wish the shooting was definitely better but it's hardly dragging the experience down for me.

Okay I've played the first 60 minutes and this game .....is good? I mean, I really like it so far. It's tense, it's scary (at least for me) and it reminds me of Condemned with guns but less enemies (so far). Very interesting game!

Diancecht

This game is bloody amazing. Played it for about 4 hours, I thought the game ended but it took A TURN damn. It has to be one of the greatest investigation and mystery games, ever. Definitely a sleeper hit.

Jackpot

Banned
Reviews keep mentioning "it looks like a PS3 game", and that's because it is. Literally. It was meant to be a PS360 release but got massively delayed when Namco picked it up. It uses Unreal Engine 3. It's also why all the "present-day" missions are in 2015.

It's amazing to see places like Birmingham Moor Street and Solihull mentioned (my home town). Is this what New Yorkers feel like every other game?

The corner-shot is well implemented, especially as you can look up and use it to peek over cover. This constant push for stealth is really irritating though. Stealthing instead of shooting doesn't pad the game out or feel any better. Just let me loose.

Is this a walking simulator?

It's the most dressed up walking simulator out there (and I mean that in a good way). At its heart, it's a walking sim, but there are tons of bells and whistles to hide the fact.

This game is bloody amazing. Played it for about 4 hours, I thought the game ended but it took A TURN damn. It has to be one of the greatest investigation and mystery games, ever. Definitely a sleeper hit.

Two hours in and it's great. I'm loving this. A story driven First Person Shooter /Adventure. This genre is pretty rare today.

Diancecht

Reviews keep mentioning "it looks like a PS3 game", and that's because it is. Literally. It was meant to be a PS360 release but got massively delayed when Namco picked it up. It uses Unreal Engine 3. It's also why all the "present-day" missions are in 2015.

It's amazing to see places like Birmingham Moor Street and Solihull mentioned (my home town). Is this what New Yorkers feel like every other game?

The corner-shot is well implemented, especially as you can look up and use it to peek over cover. This constant push for stealth is really irritating though. Stealthing instead of shooting doesn't pad the game out or feel any better. Just let me loose.

It's the most dressed up walking simulator out there (and I mean that in a good way). At its heart, it's a walking sim, but there are tons of bells and whistles to hide the fact.

Oh hey! I lived in Birmingham for about 2 years. I have the same feeling as you haha. Still remember walking from Moor Street to Bullring, taking a walk from Victoria Square to waterfront, my dorm in Perry Barr... Man I missed Birmingham.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wait this is that game from E3 2014
Get Even E3 2014 trailer

God damn i totally forgot about this game, i actually thought it was cancelled like in 2015 or 2016.

Released at a really odd time, UE3 and no marketing....basically sent to die.
But ill give it a go when its super super cheap or if someone gifts me a code.
Wonder how the PC version runs at 4K.

An OT would probably get about 3 replies at this point. With all the sales going on, the game has practically gone unnoticed.

That's pretty sad to be honest. It's no walking simulator. It's a first person adventure with shooting gameplay. I hate walking simulators but this game is different. It's similar to old school FPS like Half Life or Condemned....
Linear...sure...not much combat so far but it has a very interesting story, a great atmosphere and unique gameplay elements. Also, you can replay chapters to find more evidences. Imo this is very cool.

I'm enjoying parts of it, but there have been a couple of scenarios where the enemy knows where I am following a cutscene, yet you are penalised (or so it seems ) for killing. Yet as far as I can tell, there are times where it is unavoidable? And it's way too dark.

That sounds longer than I had expected. How long is a playthrough?

FingerBang

I played a couple of hours and... it's not clicking. Like, the gunplay is really bad, the investigation is okay, but it doesn't really require any brainpower. I understand that the "you don't know what is real" is pretty much the core of the story but so far it feels like the game tries too hard to be cool by being confusing.

How long is it?

That's pretty sad to be honest. It's no walking simulator. It's a first person adventure with shooting gameplay. I hate walking simulators but this game is different. It's similar to old school FPS like Half Life or Condemned....
Linear...sure...not much combat so far but it has a very interesting story, a great atmosphere and unique gameplay elements. Also, you can replay chapters to find more evidences. Imo this is very cool.

So, I wasn't the only one who got strong HL vibes.

DukeBobby

The way the story is told reminds me of SOMA. It keeps its cards very close to its chest, making it difficult to predict where it's going next.

Definitely one of the best stories I've seen in a game this year.

Diancecht

No idea, like I said I've clocked about 4 hours and without giving any spoilers, I think it has around 1.5 hours of gameplay left. Considering the fact that you can go back to the previous levels to find missing clues, it can very well be finished around 5 to 7 hours.

The way the story is told reminds me of SOMA. It keeps its cards very close to its chest, making it difficult to predict where it's going next.

Definitely one of the best stories I've seen in a game this year.
SOMA comparisons? That's high praise. I don't want to get my expectations too high...

Twinsen343

SOMA comparisons? That's high praise. I don't want to get my expectations too high...

Hey man, on the first page I mentioned the same thing, the same level of story progression, I do see the complaints raised but this is an extremely highly enjoyable game from the story, the sound & the concept.

EDIT: I have to say especially the sound design is one of the best if not the best in any game and it makes the whole experience better.

Spoiler relating to Sound Design
The best part was when you steal the corner gun and the heavy breathing was dubbed into the audio track - when that happened I had to sit there for a few minutes just to take it in.

xrnzaaas

CornerGun is a great addition, but the AI ruins a lot of the fun. You can get behind cover and be sure that no one will rush towards you when you're tilting the camera and looking for opportunities for easy kills.

Also it sucks that there's only one (optional) puzzle when the CornerGun comes in handy.

I'm enjoying parts of it, but there have been a couple of scenarios where the enemy knows where I am following a cutscene, yet you are penalised (or so it seems ) for killing. Yet as far as I can tell, there are times where it is unavoidable? And it's way too dark.

There's only one unavoidable fight in the game
that's the one when you get ambushed after stealing the CornerGun in the ADS
Also
killing some patients in the asylum is mandatory
, but the rest of the confrontations can be avoided or finished based on stealth kills.

4-5 hours if you're rushing, 7-8 if you're trying to look for all the clues (there's a lot of collectibles and they unlock hidden memories). Plus there are some choices in the asylum levels so it's recommended to replay at least these sections to witness different outcomes.

Platinuming the game without a proper guide can take up to 15 hours, less if you know how to unlock some of the secret achievements, because their descriptions don't really help. Also there's one achievement that's about doing a stealth playthrough.

Diancecht

Finished the game in 6.5 hours.

One of the best stories in a FPS I've seen. The way it tells the story is great, you have to puzzle it all together in a clever way.

Fantastic audio design and top notch voice acting.

Graphics look like shit.

Shame that no one will play this game.

For the people who are playing, the moment when you think it will end it's actually the half-way point. Shit gets real after the first twist. There is also another twist at the end. Clever story writing and fantastic story telling in this.

Edit: Created the OT http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1397355

DemWalls

the party!

In all honesty, you shouldn't pay too much attention to Push Square if you're looking for a truly valuable opinion.

Top Bottom