• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Most American Terrorist: The Making of Dylann Roof (GQ)

Via GQ:
”What are you?" a member of the Mother Emanuel AME Church in Charleston asked at the trial of the white man who killed eight of her fellow black parishioners and their pastor. ”What kind of subhuman miscreant could commit such evil?... What happened to you, Dylann?"

Rachel Kaadzi Ghansah spent months in South Carolina searching for an answer to those questions—speaking with Roof's mother, father, friends, former teachers, and victims' family members, all in an effort to unlock what went into creating one of the coldest killers of our time.

I had come to Charleston intending to write about them, the nine people who were gone. But from gavel to gavel, as I listened to the testimony of the survivors and family members, often the only thing I could focus on, and what would keep me up most nights while I was there, was the magnitude of Dylann Roof's silence, his refusal to even look up, to ever explain why he did what he had done. Over and over again, without even bothering to open his mouth, Roof reminded us that he did not have to answer to anyone. He did not have to dignify our questions with a response or explain anything at all to the people whose relatives he had maimed and murdered. Roof was safeguarded by his knowledge that white American terrorism is never waterboarded for answers, it is never twisted out for meaning, we never identify its ”handlers," and we could not force him to do a thing. He remained inscrutable. He remained in control, just the way he wanted to be.

And so, after weeks in the courtroom, and shortly before Dylann Roof was asked to stand and listen to his sentence, I decided that if he would not tell us his story, then I would. Which is why I left Charleston, the site of his crime, and headed inland to Richland County, to Columbia, South Carolina—to find the people who knew him, to see where Roof was born and raised. To try to understand the place where he wasted 21 years of a life until he committed an act so heinous that he became the first person sentenced to die for a federal hate crime in the entire history of the United States of America.
There is much more at the link above. I'm not sure how I feel about this. In a way it feels like more needless publicity of someone who committed such a heinous crime. On the other hand it is better to know that people like Roof don't pop out of a vacuum, that they're not lone wolves, that there's nothing extraordinary about them.

Kvik

This was a good read.

An excerpt speaks to me in particular:

As an applicant with a criminal record, Roof should have been flagged and stopped by the FBI's background check, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, whose task is to not let “guns fall into the wrong hands”—e.g., an opioid user. The FBI has three days to deny an application. If it doesn't, as Ronnie Thrailkill, the manager at Shooter's Choice, testified, “the law allows dealers to transfer that gun to the potential buyer. That's standard practice.” Without any reply from the FBI, on April 16, Dylann Roof walked out of Shooter's Choice with his gun and five magazines of bullets.

Only in America, ladies and gentlemen.

Thanks for the post. As someone who sort of missed hearing about this shooting , the article was really eye opening and well written. While the author did manage to tell the shooters story to some degree , so much is still left unanswered .

Altazor

It's a long read, but it's incredibly worth your time and dedication. Thanks for posting it.

It's also an incredibly tough read near the end - when you're reminded of the lives this evil racist dipshit felt were his to take. May they never be forgotten.

Vyer

Dylann Roof, then, was a child both of the white-supremacist Zeitgeist of the Internet and of his larger environment. He grew up in a state that derives a huge part of its economy from plantations that have been re-purposed as wedding venues. When I attempted to go to Boone Hall Plantation to see the exhibits and the stuffed enslaved-people dummies that Roof posed with in some of his pictures, I was told I was not welcome there unless I submitted a media request, since I might have a negative view of the plantation.

I am a black woman, the descendant of enslaved people, so I went anyway and walked along the same path that Roof did, where the quarters are set on something cheerfully marked as “Slave Street.” I stood next to the dummies that are supposed to represent black people in their deepest ignominy, and noticed that there were no dummies that were supposed to represent the masters or the mistresses of the plantation. I listened to a group of young white women sigh at the Alley of the Oaks, a corridor of trees near Slave Street. One of them lamented, “It was so beautiful that pictures couldn't really do it justice.”

wtf

bomma_man

People love the past to a ridiculous degree. Yeah, we were beating and raping slaves here, but damn if this ain't a beautiful orchard.

I visited a plantation in Charleston last year (not that one) and the degree to which slavery was completely whitewashed was astronomical. They portrayed the family's financial difficulties after the civil war as a fucking sob story. It might be easier for me to see as an outsider (I'm sure I'm blind to some of my own country's problems) but the level to which the historical elephant in room was so ignored in the south made me feel extremely uncomfortable.

NEO0MJ

That was an interesting read, thanks OP. Education in America is in desperate need of reform, as well as needing some way of communicating to rural white Americans that the old days are over and were wrong.

IrishNinja

good piece - i wish roof's name came up more whenever so many centrists line up to tell me about how the nazi shell game of masking hateful incitement as "free speech" is so very important & needs to be respected at every turn, because reasons

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The owner of a gun store that sold guns to a racist mass shooter, is called "Ronnie Thrailkill?"

Apt101

I just finished this after seeing it being passed around Twitter. An insightful and somber read. The identity and character of Roof, as related by those who knew him, sounds like he could have been any listless underachiever on /pol/ or Reddit.

old

This was a good read.

An excerpt speaks to me in particular:

Only in America, ladies and gentlemen.

Dateline or 60 minutes just had a special on guns that fired by themselves in cold weather due to bad trigger mechanism engineering. Innocent people were being convicted of murders despite claiming they never pulled the trigger or having their finger on the trigger. They even showed examples of guns firing by themselves just being held by the stock.

One part of the special astounded me. The lady claimed due to federal laws, the US government is not allowed to issue a recall on firearms. BB guns, yes,. Airsoft guns, yes. Real guns, no! Because of that these faulty guns are still out there and killing people.

Slayven

I just finished this after seeing it being passed around Twitter. An insightful and somber read. The identity and character of Roof, as related by those who knew him, sounds like he could have been any listless underachiever on /pol/ or Reddit.

Elliot Rodgers, Roof, the dude from Charlotteville all of the same breed

Lime

Sorry to center Whiteness in this horrible catastrophe, but I read Sarah Ahmed's (amazing scholar that everyone should follow) Fascism of Love article last week and there's one passage that is incredibly relevant for the explanation of Whiteness, Hate, and Love that is endemic to the white people in the US:

DH1zBm3XYAII4SF.jpg

Read the whole thing here: https://feministkilljoys.com/2016/11/09/fascism-as-love/

It's the same logic that drives so many white people across the world, where the love for the "nation" or white power in various forms justify the hate and destruction of those who are not White. As Ahmed writes:

Such narratives work by generating a subject that is under threat by imagined others whose proximity threatens not only to take something away from the subject (jobs, security, wealth and so on), but to take the place of the subject. In other words, the presence of this other is imagined as a threat to the object of love. This narrative involves a re-writing of history, in which the labour of others (slaves, migrants) is concealed in a fantasy that it is the white subject who ‘built this land.' The white subjects claim the place of hosts (‘our shores'), at the same time as they claim the place of the victim, as those who are damaged by an ‘unmerciful government'. The narrative hence suggests that it is love for the nation that makes the white Aryan's hate others, who are taking away the nation, and hence their imagined place in its history, as well as their future.

This narrative, I would suggest, is far from extraordinary. Indeed, what it shows us is the production of the ordinary. The ordinary is here fantastic. The ordinary white subject is a fantasy that comes into being through the mobilisation of hate, as a passionate attachment closely tied to love. The emotion of hate works to animate the ordinary subject, to bring that fantasy to life, precisely by constituting the ordinary as in crisis, and the ordinary person as the real victim. The ordinary becomes that which is already under threat by the imagined others whose proximity becomes a crime against person as well as place. The ordinary subject is reproduced as the injured party: the one that is ‘hurt' or even damaged by the ‘invasion' of others. The bodies of others are hence transformed into ‘the hated' through a discourse of pain. They are assumed to cause injury to the ordinary white subject, such that their proximity is read as the origin of bad feeling: indeed, the implication here is that the white subject's good feelings (love) have being ‘taken' away by the abuse of such feelings by others.

Apt101

Elliot Rodgers, Roof, the dude from Charlotteville all of the same breed

Indeed. Elliot Rodgers and Roof are an interesting pair, as one enjoyed financial comfort while the other did not. One enjoyed an education, while that was never in the cards for the other. Both killed because they couldn't make any meaningful contact with people, largely due to inflated egos and hate.

Rodgers is the first of these kinds of killers I can remembered that seemed to hate himself, deep down, as much as he hated others.

There's nothing to understand about Roof. He should be put down like the sick bitch he is.

He was a fucking loser who only had the one thing he never had any control over (his skin color) to elevate him above others.

It was the ONLY thing he had to cling to in order to feel like he was a part of and worth something.

Hence why he clung to it with such fury.

Lime

There's nothing to understand about Roof. He should be put down like the sick bitch he is.

He was a fucking loser who only had the one thing he never had any control over (his skin color) to elevate him above others.

It was the ONLY thing he had to cling to in order to feel like he was a part of and worth something.

To understand Roof is to understand US white supremacy, both in its historical context and in its contemporary context, which the article also addresses.

Roof is a product of a country built on genocide, slavery, segregation, and oppression of black people (among many others), which continues to this day. Roof is the product of white people, the institutions they built, the media they produce, the unjust economic system they protect, and the history they tell themselves.

You don't have to empathize with him, but even diseases should be understood. ESPECIALLY diseases. So you can prevent future such 'outbreaks.'

Wow, so he didn't have a crush on a girl who liked a black guy?

Also, note how him and his friends making racial jokes among them were normal, for the "just jokes" crowd.

Top Bottom