• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 1# selling console in October, Nintendo accounts for 2/3 of hardware in US

lights

The company revealed today that its hybrid home/handheld Switch was the top-selling gaming hardware for October, according to industry-tracking firm The NPD Group. That puts it ahead of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. But Switch wasn’t the only Nintendo system to outsell Microsoft’s and Sony’s devices. The Super NES Classic Edition system, which collects 21 classic 16-bit games in a miniaturized Super NES-like device, was the No. 2 best-selling piece of gaming hardware for the month.

“When combined with the NIntendo 3DS family of systems, Nintendo systems accounted for two-thirds of all video game hardware sold in the United States for the second month in a row,” reads a Nintendo press release.

The company confirmed that total U.S. hardware sales were over 1 million units, so consumers picked up at least 666,000 Switch, Super NES Classic, and 3DS consoles.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/16/...playstation-4-xbox-one-last-month-in-the-u-s/

Short lived success?

The Wii sold almost 102 million units. I don't think that is short lived success.

Now if you mean after the Wii, well, that certainly wasn't the Wii's fault. The Switch is the followup the Wii should have had (or at least the Wii U should have been handled better and named anything but Wii U).

Meesh

666,000 Switch, Super NES Classic, and 3DS consoles.
Tripple 6. Mark or the beast... the era of Nintendo's unholy reign be upon us!!!
Quick, we need to sacrifice some hapless/unsuspecting third party to appease our dark lord Shiggy.

The Wii may have sold incredibly well but no one bought games for the system after like 2 years

That so wrong, it had in it's 5th year a software attach ratio about the same as the PS3, but the Switch looks to be breaking records in that department, cant imagine how high that number will be in it's 5th year

J4K

A lot of it is probably Odyssey.

Nintendo is short on games overall though. Wonder how long it'll last.

It's weird, in the first sentence you mention Odyssey, which tells me you're at least slightly aware of current events.

But then in your next sentence, it's like you're still back in March when the system first launched.

Paradox! What strange time traveling is this?

Malcolm9

So happy for Nintendo, the Switch is an amazing console. I still need to pick up Mario + Rabbids and Mario Odyssey.

CANLI

I'm happy for the indies which have more chance with the Switch but Nintendo needs to add An indie catégorie + a top 30 or something like that...

We need ratings too.

shauntu

Seeing people claim Wii was a short lived success is a pet peeve of mine. Is this what a short lived success looks like?

Numbers from Wikipedia.

Launched in Fall 2006; amount shipped each year then, in millions:
2006: 3.19
2007: 16.94
2008: 24.83
2009: 22.49
2010: 17.19
2011: 8.33
2012: 4.41 -- and Wii U launches.

Wii U now, that was a failure in the market. Although it's launch window in 2012 still had 3.06 million in units shipped. 2013 all year though it only shipped 2.8 mil. That was dismal.

Software rank for October

Overall

1. Middle-earth: Shadow of War
  2. Assassin’s Creed: Origins
  3. Super Mario Odyssey**
  4. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
  5. NBA 2K18
  6. FIFA 18
  7. WWE 2K18
  8. Madden NFL 18
  9. Destiny 2*
  10. Forza Motorsport 7
  11. Gran Turismo Sport
  12. Grand Theft Auto V
  13. The Evil Within 2**
  14. Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus**
  15. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
  16. Mario Kart 8**
  17. Fire Emblem: Warriors**
  18. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  19. NHL 18
  20. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
* No Battle.net sales
** No digital sales

Mooreberg

I knew all the YouTube rants in the world weren't going to do much to Shadow of War. Consumers are their own worst enemy. And did Bethesda just fuck up another two releases at the same time, or is that not as bad as it looks?

I knew all the YouTube rants in the world weren't going to do much to Shadow of War. Consumers are their own worst enemy. And did Bethesda just fuck up another two releases at the same time, or is that not as bad as it looks?

Its a given that TEW2 sold poorly so for Wolf2 to come in under that pretty much says it all.

Not Drake

Nintendo is hitting all the right notes. They've delivered the hardware people wanted with Switch and supply top games for it. At the same time they're pushing 3DS with new games and great pricepoints for various revisions. It pays off for them.

Genio88

This smells more and more Wii-kind of success... but maybe too early so say?

Wii success was mostly link to the casual gamers market who just bought the Wii with Wii Sports and nothing else, Switch is selling a lot to hardcore gamers, who are grown up men and can't always play at home since they're often at work or outside, so Switch is perfect for them, also Switch games are mostly for hardcore gamers, besides 1 2 Switch and Snipperclips there aren't really casual games

Top Bottom