• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey! Pikmin | Review Thread

d+pad

To folks worried about playing this on an OG 3DS, I played through the demo on an OG 3DS, and although the frame rate dipped at times, I would not describe the experience as anything approaching horrendous. I obviously can't say if the full game will be better or worse than the demo when played on an OG 3DS, but I'm guessing it'll be similar?

maxcriden

To folks worried about playing this on an OG 3DS, I played through the demo on an OG 3DS, and although the frame rate dipped at times, I would not describe the experience as anything approaching horrendous. I obviously can't say if the full game will be better or worse than the demo when played on an OG 3DS, but I'm guessing it'll be similar?

That's reassuring, thank you.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Game Informer - 6/10

Pikmin could work in 2D, but Hey Pikmin isn’t the game to make it happen. Nintendo’s low-impact blend of strategy and action flounders between relaxing and boring. I sometimes felt compelled to replay Hey Pikmin’s levels to find the treasures I’d missed the first time around, but I never found what I was hoping to: a richer strategy experience.

jesusraz

Yes, Rudy in our Cubed3 review, mentions that even though the frame-rate dips, especially when you've got 20 Pikmin, Olimar and some enemies on-screen, it doesn't happen so often as to be detrimental to the overall experience, and that the general pacing of the game means it won't bother the majority of players this is aimed at (i.e. leisurely pace, enjoying the puzzles rather than racing through).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
GameSpot - 6 / 10

Overall, Hey Pikmin retains a lot of what makes this series great. The terrific character and art design, fun flinging action, and lovable Pikmin and wildlife all work well on the small screen. However, anyone expecting the surprisingly unforgiving nature of the main series will be shocked at how simple this is in comparison. That might not be a terrible black mark on Hey Pikmin, but it's a little disappointing.

IGN - 6.8 / 10

Hey! Pikmin has its moments. The stages have some neat but simple puzzles, the visuals and music are solid, the inherent cute charm of Pikmin's weird alien worlds is on full display, and discovering treasures based on common household items – and seeing Olimar's confused interpretations of them – is always good for a smile. However, the lax difficulty, slow pace, and repetitive structure drag it down quite a bit. There's not a lot of meat to Hey! Pikmin, which is disappointing when compared to the required skill and replayability of the console Pikmin games. It's good for a playthrough, but this is a voyage I can't see myself taking again.

Polygon - 7 / 10
Hey! Pikmin did exactly what it needed to do, without extending itself any further. It gave me a series of interesting places, a series of clever puzzles, a series of cute vignettes and soft storybook scenery. The worst thing to say about Hey! Pikmin is, simultaneously, a recommendation — it's perfectly pleasant, well-rounded, and didn't leave me dying for more.

kubus

Thanks, added to OP.
Going to bed now, so any reviews that get posted after this I'll have to add later!

Ooh, I've got the amiibo coming - but wasn't planning to open it! What is the amiibo functionality?

Thank you for the info, as always.

So frame dropping and slowdown are both an issue, or are those the same thing? Forgive my lack of tech savviness.

How did you like the game itself? (Edit: just read your impressions above - a bit disappointing from the sound of it but as a fellow Pikmin superfan I'm sure I will find some aspects to like as it sounds like you did. Thanks for posting your thoughts on the game!)
Basically the amiibo themselves are treasures in the game, and by scanning a supported amiibo that amiibo will appear in a special puzzle stage on the world map. If you grab it, it is added to your treasure log along with some funny comments by Olimar. The stages are recycled content from the game, so you're not missing out on anything if you don't buy amiibo. The amiibo stages are really simple and you can solve them in 1 minute, they're very bite sized. Using the special Hey! Pikmin amiibo makes a random supported amiibo stage appear, so it's basically a shortcut so you don't have to buy every single supported amiibo.

The other use of Hey! Pikmin amiibo is that you can use it to summon extra Pikmin during levels. The amount of Pikmin you can summon increases as you level up your Pikmin Park (but there's always a limit of 20 Pikmin at any time in a stage). If you do this you can't get the special No Pikmin Harmed Trophy for that level anymore, so you can't cheat with it :p.

As for the framedrops/slowdowns, I'm sure there's a difference officially but the way I explained it in my previous posts they're the same thing. When the framerate drops, it feels like the game is slowing down a bit, so that's why I used that word. I wouldn't really call it an issue btw. It's more that it's kind of pathetic that this game even has framedrops when you consider that it's a slow 2D platformer and the game doesn't even support 3D effects. It never hindered me during gameplay, but I did notice it from time to time. It really shouldn't bother you unless you're incredibly sensitive for that kind of stuff!

Sorry for the messy post, it's very late here so I was writing this while half sleeping, lol. Hope you can make sense of it!

watershed

Banned
The reviews are in line with my expectations. I'll probably buy this and play it as counter programming to the crazy competitive intensity of Splatoon 2.

maxcriden

Basically the amiibo themselves are treasures in the game, and by scanning a supported amiibo that amiibo will appear in a special puzzle stage on the world map. If you grab it, it is added to your treasure log along with some funny comments by Olimar. The stages are recycled content from the game, so you're not missing out on anything if you don't buy amiibo. The amiibo stages are really simple and you can solve them in 1 minute, they're very bite sized. Using the special Hey! Pikmin amiibo makes a random supported amiibo stage appear, so it's basically a shortcut so you don't have to buy every single supported amiibo.

The other use of Hey! Pikmin amiibo is that you can use it to summon extra Pikmin during levels. The amount of Pikmin you can summon increases as you level up your Pikmin Park (but there's always a limit of 20 Pikmin at any time in a stage). If you do this you can't get the special No Pikmin Harmed Trophy for that level anymore, so you can't cheat with it :p.

As for the framedrops/slowdowns, I'm sure there's a difference officially but the way I explained it in my previous posts they're the same thing. When the framerate drops, it feels like the game is slowing down a bit, so that's why I used that word. I wouldn't really call it an issue btw. It's more that it's kind of pathetic that this game even has framedrops when you consider that it's a slow 2D platformer and the game doesn't even support 3D effects. It never hindered me during gameplay, but I did notice it from time to time. It really shouldn't bother you unless you're incredibly sensitive for that kind of stuff!

Sorry for the messy post, it's very late here so I was writing this while half sleeping, lol. Hope you can make sense of it!

That is a huge help, thanks for the amiibo and techy info. I'm not someone usually too bothered by tech stuff. The only example from Nintendo that springs to mind really is BOTW pre-patch. So I figure I'll be ok based on what you wrote. Anyway, thanks again as always.

Yes, Rudy in our Cubed3 review, mentions that even though the frame-rate dips, especially when you've got 20 Pikmin, Olimar and some enemies on-screen, it doesn't happen so often as to be detrimental to the overall experience, and that the general pacing of the game means it won't bother the majority of players this is aimed at (i.e. leisurely pace, enjoying the puzzles rather than racing through).

That's good to know, thank you. He felt like that even on the OG 3DS?

This is actually doing better review wise than I was expecting. As even the worst reviews noted that this was a lot better than most of Arzest/Artoon's titles. I played the demo and it was pretty fun although a little short and simple. Game felt like it would be done better on the DS sometime between 2007-2009.

jesusraz

That's good to know, thank you. He felt like that even on the OG 3DS?
Yes, he purposely stuck with the original 3DS because he felt it gave a fairer impression of the game since the majority will have that system still. Still really it enjoyed it with the occasional drops. As mentioned above, it seems that it will only affect the most sensitive, and those aren't likely to be the crowd that buy this anyway.

It's sad that it's clearly been optimised for the NEW series of 3DS systems, but at least it seems it doesn't impact seriously on the experience.

Shiggy

Yes, he purposely stuck with the original 3DS because he felt it gave a fairer impression of the game since the majority will have that system still. Still really it enjoyed it with the occasional drops. As mentioned above, it seems that it will only affect the most sensitive, and those aren't likely to be the crowd that buy this anyway.

It's sad that it's clearly been optimised for the NEW series of 3DS systems, but at least it seems it doesn't impact seriously on the experience.

Did he also try it on the New 3DS? While it was certainly not unplayable in the demo, it was still pretty noticeable. And I'm somebody who's not really affected by the 30fps vs 60fps stuff.

RoyalFool

Banned
Not strictly game related, but my Amiibo arrived today and it's by far the best Amiibo they have produced, so adorable.

NintendoDirect-Amiibo-Pikmin.jpg

I'm definitely interested in this game (still need to play the demo), but I'm sure I'll wait for a $15-20 sale before picking it up.

That Amiibo I just might get too. I only have 2 so far (Retro Mario, and the bundled Twilight Princess wolf) but this one looks fantastic. I'll probably get it and the Metroid 2 ones this year.

maxcriden

That is really super helpful to know. Thanks so much and please extend my thanks to the reviewer also.

jesusraz

Did he also try it on the New 3DS? While it was certainly not unplayable in the demo, it was still pretty noticeable. And I'm somebody who's not really affected by the 30fps vs 60fps stuff.
I'm playing through at the moment on a New 3DS XL and not noticing any issues. I'm only at the end of the first world, but not noticed problems so far.

That is really super helpful to know. Thanks so much and please extend my thanks to the reviewer also.
Will do, thanks :)

Scrawnton

THis game wasn't really in my radar since I moved on from 3DS to Switch, but Amazon just shipped my priced errored $6 copy of the game so I look forward to trying it out on Friday.

I've got a deep love for Pikmin which is almost pushing me over the edge to get this. Pikmin 3 is one of my favourite games ever. Maybe I should just play that again...

Damn, I was hoping the game wouldn't be TOO easy. I love Pikmin too much to not get this at some point though. Maybe it will be one of those rare Nintendo titles to drop in price fast. Here's to hoping.

Always looked like a 6/10 game but the kind of slow paced, relaxing game I enjoy from time to time.

I have a feeling this will price drop fast and I'll grab it at sub £20.

kubus

Added the following reviews to the OP:

God is a Geek - 8.5 / 10
Hey! Pikmin is a slight divergence from the regular Pikmin mold, and despite the story of Captain Olimar destroying an eco-system and enslaving the planet’s population the game is a delight to play. A straight playthrough won’t take you much time at all, but filling out the database completely will give you a little bit more to do with your time should you so desire. This is yet another brilliant title to add to the 3DS’ library as the system nears the end of its life, it’s just absolutely delightful.

DualShockers - 8 / 10
Hey! Pikmin is an incredibly fun platformer that’s easy to pick up and doesn’t take a ton of hours to finish like many games that have come out this year. While I was able to get through the game in a couple of days, reaching 100% completion on each level will take some time and serious dedication. Fans of older Pikmin titles and even Nintendo 3DS owners that have never tried the series before are in for a treat with Hey! Pikmin — I highly recommend it.

Nintendo World Report - 8 / 10
Hey! Pikmin ends up being a nice spinoff of the Pikmin series, adapting many of the original elements into a platformer/puzzle game. It’s flawed but it sure is fun. A better framerate and higher difficulty would be great, especially since I feel like the different Pikmin abilities still had a lot of untapped potential. This installment ends up being a nice new creation that fits into the franchise in a different way than older Pikmin games. At its core, though, Hey! Pikmin is a fun game, and in the end, that's all that really matters.

Destructoid - 7 / 10
Hey! Pikmin is a little too simplistic for its own good, especially early on, but Arzest does a fantastic job of distilling what makes this series so special into bite-sized chunks. The transition cutscenes that play out like physical comedy shorts and the adorable little noises really sell it.

EGMNOW - 6.5 / 10
Pikmin fans hoping for the next evolution in the franchise will have to wait for another attempt, as Hey! Pikmin is an enjoyable, but vastly simple experience that doesn’t live up to its namesake.

CGMagazine - 6.5 / 10
Hey! Pikmin has very few major flaws. At the same time, it does nothing exceptionally well aside from its controls. I believe that Pikmin games have always been developed with all ages in mind, but this one felt like it was aimed at kids with its simple level design. If I’d never heard of or played a Pikmin game in the past, it might’ve been easier to just write this off as a boring platformer and call it a day. Knowing the franchise however, it’s hard to play this game and not think about all of the ways it could’ve been done better.

USgamer - 3 / 5
Hey! Pikmin is an interesting reinvention for the series, but it doesn't really go deep enough to be an interesting and rewarding puzzle platformer. It winds up being an adequately executed collect-a-thon—a time-waster that offers a new take on a familiar formula, but fails to take it in any bold new direction.

Trusted Reviews - 3 / 5
Hey! Pikmin takes the series’ foundations, strips them right back and offers up an experience in which a younger audience will delight. Enjoyable stuff.

GameXplain - "Liked it a lot" (Video Review)

Looks like the game isn't doing too bad. You could even say it's doing surprisingly well, considering Arzest's track record and expectations for the game.

If anyone's still on the fence, ask yourself the following question:

Do I want a challenge?

If the answer is yes, then this is a pretty mediocre game. If you don't really care, and you like watching Pikmin do cute stuff as much as you like watching gifs of cats, then you will really enjoy this game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Considering I'm hot off the heels of doing stuff like putting 180+ hours into Persona 5 & platinuming all 3 Crash games + Stormy Ascent, not to mention I only paid about $6 for the game thanks to the Prime Day glitch, this seems like a good "break" game to play after focusing on hard &/or long titles.

Any word on how many amiibo challenges there are?

Top Bottom