• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't tell your employer anything related to mental health

Don't disclose your medications or anything related to your mental health (good/bad, whatever) to any employer ever.

I just had a job offer revoked because I disclosed (for lack of a better word?) I take an antidepressant during a meeting that was working out some details of my transition over to the job.

I'm feeling crushed right now....

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They asked you that during a job interview process!? Did they specifically say it was because of that?

Yeah, I feel like it goes without saying. It's a form of prejudice but I'd also feel like if I was the hiring manager I would make a similar decision. And I've been on meds.

Tho ironically I suspect someone on meds would be way more focused than someone not. At least based off how I felt when on them.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Is this even legal? I thought they are not allowed to judge employee based on medical condition.

Which state are you at? May be some gaffer familiar with that state's employment regulation can help you out?

I don't think they are allowed to ask you about your medical history, unless it might have some direct impact on the job due to safety.

Don't disclose it to anyone other than your doctor and very close family and friends. People are extremely prejudiced about it

If he offered it voluntarily, it's not illegal.

It's super shitty what they did, though.

For the question/answer part for those who can't understand.

They asked you that during a job interview process!? Did they specifically say it was because of that?

No, it is for a job overseas. I asked how to get prescriptions for any medications in the country. The conversations eventually lead to me telling them the two meds so they could check and see if they were over the counter or not.

I don't think they are allowed to ask you about your medical history, unless it might have some direct impact on the job due to safety.

It doesn't sound like they did. It seems like the OP offered it up willingly after he already got the job. They still can't pull a job offer over that though.

Why would you disclose that? You know they're not allowed to ask about things like marital status, sexual orientation, race, religion, medical history, or even things like political affiliation without opening themselves up to litigation?

Only tell them what they need to know relative to your ability to do the job. Anything personal is up to you to share, but know that it can be used against you.

No, it is for a job overseas. I asked how to get prescriptions for any medications in the country. The conversations eventually lead to me telling them the two meds so they could check and see if they were over the counter or not.

They aren't the people to ask for that, a local pharmacy would be.

It doesn't sound like they did. It seems like the OP offered it up willingly after he already got the job. They still can't pull a job offer over that though.

They can if they make up literally any excuse about why they changed their mind based on the OP's qualifications.

DonShula

You're right but they're also very wrong for doing that. Seems like it should be illegal. Probably very difficult to prove though. Did they say "offer revoked because you take an antidepressant?" Or did you put two and two together and come to that conclusion on your own for lack of any other plausible explanation?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I never mention my issues with depression or the fact I am on the spectrum with employers. I won't even talk about it till I have been at a job for a while and have some modicum of job security. It fucking sucks though and just adds to the problem of mental illness in society.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

What a shitty situation. Some awful people working there.

I know a lot of people that don't disclose any medical conditions to potential employers during the interview and probation period. They won't hire out and cite performance or more qualified applicants as to why you don't get the job. I've worked with people who were perfectly fine right up until they passed the probation period and then all the reasons why they can't work or do tasks they have been able to before then come out. It's wrong for employers to discriminate but also wrong for people to take advantage.

I know a lot of people that don't disclose any medical conditions to potential employers during the interview and probation period. They won't hire out and cite performance or more qualified applicants as to why you don't get the job. I've worked with people who were perfectly fine right up until they passed the probation period and then all the reasons why they can't work or do tasks they have been able to before then come out. It's wrong for employers to discriminate but also wrong for people to take advantage.

That's a completely separate issue from what we're discussing. The OP wasn't trying to use mental health as an excuse to do less work.

Daingurse

That's really fucked up, man. I'm sorry to hear that.

My job has actually been very accommodating towards my depression, and I feel very fortunate for that. I was out for months on medical leave after a suicide attempt in 2015, and the fact that my job still had my back was a great feeling.

hiryu64

Certainly not during the interview, but if you receive treatment and need accommodations for appointments and such, you're going to have to figure out a diplomatic way of navigating the issue, as it doesn't just go away. While it's true that there's always potential for such knowledge to be used against you, you can do yourself a favor if a) you present it in a matter-of-fact and positive light, and b) (which is admittedly beyond your control) if you discuss this with a superior with whom you're on good terms and who is understanding of your situation. Regardless of what may happen, I personally maintain that owning your issue gives you far more power over it than you might otherwise have, and that can potentially tilt the balance in your favor.

That said, only disclose such information if you're aware of the potential risks involved and are comfortable dealing with whatever may come of your disclosure. But you'd be a fool to disclose such issues during the interview, unless you just enjoy being rejected because you're "not a good fit" or whatever.

Oh, and lawyer up. I'm pretty sure they can't turn you down for disabilities or seeking treatment for stuff like that, but IANAL.

WIVFJss.jpg

employer is from the usa but the job is in russia

I'm not mad at them or anyone

just feel terrible

Big Blue

Don't disclose your medications or anything related to your mental health (good/bad, whatever) to any employer ever.

I just had a job offer revoked because I disclosed (for lack of a better word?) I take an antidepressant during a meeting that was working out some details of my transition over to the job.

I'm feeling crushed right now....

That's illegal. According to the government you are disabled. Talk to a lawyer. You have an email with them literally explaining that's the reason why your offer was pulled.

https://www.eeoc.gov/facts/ada18.html

123rl

That sucks and I’m sorry, OP. When I told my employer I was taking anti-depressants, which I had to do because of the company drug testing policy, they were very accommodating. They gave me time off for counselling and even arranged for several hours of free therapy through the private health insurance scheme at work, at no cost to me

Timeaisis

Oh this is for a job in Russia. Ok this makes a lot more sense. Still shitty. Hope you find something else, OP.

EDIT: Wait, is the employer based in the US? If they are based in the US it's super illegal. If they are based in Russia, you are SOL.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
It might be illegal, but usually employers don't actually say why

Other risky disclosures include potential dates, GF/BF's parents, anybody really

It fucking sucks. Sorry TC

Saganator

don't tell your friends either. don't tell anyone anything.

Unless it's minor depression or something, this is unfortunately true. My gf had some mental issues which are under control now, but when the health issue started being visible, her friends dropped her like a hot rock one by one. Really sad.

Isn't that illegal?
Oh, sure, but they'll find something in the background check or fail to reach a reference or find some other thing that legally gets them in the clear. And whenever a Shawniqua I. S. Black is passed over for a Michael T. Whitey for a skilled position, it's purely because of qualifications; after all, we here at AcmeCorp Human Relations are fully committed to a diverse workforce. We would never discriminate over race, gender, religion, sexual choice, political affiliation, credit rating, mental health, or whether or not you think nuGhostbusters was a good movie. Oh BTW, please disclose your full medical history, sexual history, voter registration and RT/IMDB username. Just for our records.

Top Bottom