• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo Surges on Prospect of Access to China, possible partnership w/ Tencent

Naysayers who talk about the market being dominated by PC and smartphones should keep in mind the situation in the US during the 80's. Completely dominated by PC games with everybody CONVINCED that consoles were NEVER going to sell. That obviously changed and a big reason for that was the legwork Nintendo did back then.

Nintendo is the only company in the industry who's been able to crack new markets in the last 10 years. If they can get the supply in order then I can see them crack China.

Usobuko

Banned
I really hope this doesn't lead to Tencent trying to buy a stake (or more) in Nintendo. They already own Riot and have a stake in Activision Blizzard. Nintendo is one of Japan's national treasures, and I really don't want Tencent owning half the gaming industry.

Tencent having a stake in Japanese gaming companies is good for Eastern audience.

Japanese companies can no longer relied on western markets after the shift in market preference in 360 era. They need Tencent, Asia on a whole needs to collaborate more with each other and be its own behemoth.

rudger

The hurdles to do it have been lowered somewhat back in 2007, but yes. Typically the government will make it harder for a hostile takeover to happen to an unwilling Japanese company. It's more likely to occur if shareholders want it, and almost none of them do.

It looks like I was mistaken:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/information/index.html

If I am reading this correctly, they currently own 15.21% of their shares making them the largest shareholder, but not the majority owners. The next largest is JP Morgan Chase at 7.90%. There are also a large amount of outstanding shares, so the possibility is out there.

vern

Yup, yeah let me buy this thing for 2800rmb that can play a modified version of the game my friends are playing on their phones and thus I won't be able to play it with them. Or let me get a Vivo, Oppo, Xiaomi or Huawei with flagship specs and play with my friends. Tough choices.

Not saying much but I've seen two people carrying switches around in shanghai. One on a subway playing zelda and one walking down the street and playing...I don't know doesn't matter what. I've also seen plenty of people with psps and various DSs over the years. I think that at least in tier 1 cities the market for gaming devices is bigger than you give credit for. I wouldn't expect Switch (or any console) to be some big run away success, but there is a market here for games consoles.

Also yes at launch you could buy Switch and there was plenty of stock and still is, but I was going to the electronic market a lot at that time and they were selling quite a few (seemed to be mostly to expats though).

Fukuzatsu

Not saying much but I've seen two people carrying switches around in shanghai. One on a subway playing zelda and one walking down the street and playing...I don't know doesn't matter what. I've also seen plenty of people with psps and various DSs over the years. I think that at least in tier 1 cities the market for gaming devices is bigger than you give credit for. I wouldn't expect Switch (or any console) to be some big run away success, but there is a market here for games consoles.

Also yes at launch you could buy Switch and there was plenty of stock and still is, but I was going to the electronic market a lot at that time and they were selling quite a few (seemed to be mostly to expats though).

The point that they (or I) were trying to make is less about gaming devices in general in China, and more about the insinuation that Arena of Valor on Switch is a big get to push an entry into China.

I believe that there is a market for Switches and PS4s in cities like Shanghai, but the obstacles are not relevant to things like a MOBA being or not being on a system.

Fukuzatsu

Say 1% on Neogaf, get mocked and maybe banned.
Say 1% in front of shareholders...your worth rises nearly 10%

Life > GAF

What even is the argument around the 1% thing? Is it just people assuming that Switch will do magnitudes better than PS4 currently does in China?

The point that they (or I) were trying to make is less about gaming devices in general in China, and more about the insinuation that Arena of Valor on Switch is a big get to push an entry into China.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I see the point your trying to make. But personally I'd still say you're wrong. Arena of Valor IS a big get for both Nintendo and Tencent for a couple of reasons.

It shows someone in both companies see opportunity to expand. AoV is seen as a first step towards that expansion.

Could it fail? Of course. But if succesfull, AoV will carry the title of being the first game in that deal that was important.

It looks like I was mistaken:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/information/index.html

If I am reading this correctly, they currently own 15.21% of their shares making them the largest shareholder, but not the majority owners. The next largest is JP Morgan Chase at 7.90%. There are also a large amount of outstanding shares, so the possibility is out there.

Yes, it would make them the largest shareholders. And this was after they had bought back 9.5 million shares from the Yamauchi estate. However, because the company is doing so well and are in the shareholders' good graces. Combining that with how procedures happen in Japan in regards to foreign attempts at takeovers and mergers, the possibility of Tencent to even try a takeover is largely theoretical at best, and impossible at worst.

Fukuzatsu

Oh, don't get me wrong, I see the point your trying to make. But personally I'd still say you're wrong. Arena of Valor IS a big get for both Nintendo and Tencent for a couple of reasons.

It shows someone in both companies see opportunity to expand. AoV is seen as a first step towards that expansion.

Could it fail? Of course. But if succesfull, AoV will carry the title of being the first game in that deal that was important.

I mean, okay, sure, but that's not really what those people have been saying, at least in my interpretation. Assuming this goes on to produce future deals, then yes, the AoV port will have had an important symbolic meaning as part of the partnership.

But on its own I'm saying that the appraisal of this as something like "Nintendo got this huge MOBA that's gonna help Switch in China", I think it shows a lack of understanding of what the game actually is or what it means for the Chinese market.

vern

I believe that there is a market for Switches and PS4s in cities like Shanghai, but the obstacles are not relevant to things like a MOBA being or not being on a system.

Yea I agree with you then.

rudger

So what is the actual "deal" with Tencent? I feel like Nintendo entering China is rumored every several months but to no avail.

Kimawolf

So what is the actual "deal" with Tencent? I feel like Nintendo entering China is rumored every several months but to no avail.

Well Tencent partnered with Nintendo to put a fairly huge MOBA on Switch, which leads to speculation of Tencent and Nintendo teaming up to get Nintendo into China, cracking that market will be huge for whoever can do it, and teaming with the largest videogame company in the world? who is a major player in China will do it.

rudger

Well Tencent partnered with Nintendo to put a fairly huge MOBA on Switch, which leads to speculation of Tencent and Nintendo teaming up to get Nintendo into China, cracking that market will be huge for whoever can do it, and teaming with the largest videogame company in the world? who is a major player in China will do it.

Ah. I didn't understand that Nintendo was actually publishing the game themselves. The language in the OP makes the partnership sound like speculation based on the fact the game's being released on a Nintendo platform.

A full on nintendo and Tencent partnership for China would be huge.

Nintendo buying China would be possible if it goes through and becomes successful

I would really love to see them get the Switch stocks up first wonder why these market people are so hyped and they don't even notice that Nintendo has a hardware availability issue

The thing is this sort of hypothetical would take years in the making anyways, it's not like suddenly Nintendo is gonna go full in on China into next year.

Top Bottom