• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RegionThree Released For All Non-New 3DS Models - No Game Or Flashcard Required!

Rich!

So the floodgates are open, is it region free only or does this allow access to piracy.

Firstly, the floodgates have been open for over two years now. Gateway flashcart had its multirom/homebrew/region free/emunand update back in 2013.

Secondly this particular exploit is strictly region free only.

Andrefpvs

Look how happy people are about being able to buy and play more games!

Isn't this what it should have been about from the very beginning, Nintendo? Just officially remove the damn region-locking!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
so does this work on the 3DS XL, yeah potential dumb questions, if so I could get the lost planet game for my UK 3DS and am going to the usa on holiday soon, any US exclusive games that could be worth picking up?

also, why don't Nintendo just remove the region lock? surely it's a line of code..

so does this work on the 3DS XL, yeah potential dumb questions, if so I could get the lost planet game for my UK 3DS and am going to the usa on holiday soon, any US exclusive games that could be worth picking up?

also, why don't Nintendo just remove the region lock? surely it's a line of code..

If you like physical copies of games, I know you guys got SMT4, Rune Factory 4 (and maybe EO4?) as digital only while we didn't.

EDIT: to answer your question about compatibility: "at the moment it works on firmware versions 9.0 through 9.4, though only on 3DS, 3DSXL and 2DS models."

Yasumi

Banned
Tried it a few times, no luck. When I try to go to the exploit page, it says "Failed to load part of this page," closes, and gives me an error. I tried deleting cookies and history. I'm on 9.2.0.

Zhao_Yun

Yes, it works on the 3DS XL.

This actually sounds really painless, and might save me from importing a JP n3DS for a while (although I already bought a plate for it :p).

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
This is amazing. I'm going to wait and see what Nintendo's response is before buying a load of US & Japanese 3DS games though.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I don't know what the Gateway site does exactly, but is it possible someone will find a way to copy the website's contents to your 3DS, so that you don't have to go online, but can just browse to local files?

Aeana

I don't know what the Gateway site does exactly, but is it possible someone will find a way to copy the website's contents to your 3DS, so that you don't have to go online, but can just browse to local files?
The browser doesn't let you browse local files. The Android app linked in the first post us probably as close as you'll get to a local setup that doesn't actually require full Internet access.

Hmm, does it work on DSi games? Trying to load Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem without luck.

I get the "failed to load part of the page" error on the internet browser.

EDIT: Okay, the second part is normal.

EDIT2: Okay, apparently DSi support is impossible/unlikely.

Sitrus

Works on my EU 3DS XL 9.4.0-21E. I can finally play my Rune Factory 4 physical cartridge!

Does not work on my NA 2DS 9.4-21U though. Just crashing.

beanman25

Really awesome. Have a 2x Gateway, but this was too sweet to not try. IF this is totally foolproof, I'll consider selling both Gateways.

ALBW worked perfect on my JP XL

Yah, Nintendo and region locking is full of bullshit. Look at Vita. Region-free, and not a single legal/localization/technical problem.
Exactly. It's funny how these shitty problems only affect Nintendo. Remember when European 'laws' prevented them from selling adult rated games on the eShop outside of 11pm and 3am? Total bullshit, because Microsoft and Sony still did, or were they breaking the law? What a joke.

Cmagus

This is interesting, I'm gonna bookmark this hopefully it's still working when Dragon Quest Theatrhythm comes out I'd be all over that.

tsab

Exactly. It's funny how these shitty problems only affect Nintendo. Remember when European 'laws' prevented them from selling adult rated games on the eShop outside of 11pm and 3am? Total bullshit, because Microsoft and Sony still did, or were they breaking the law? What a joke.

They were paranoid because their European HQ is based in Germany. This was a German law or something.

Euro HQs of Sony and MS are not based in Germany.

I am not defending them btw

Yasumi

Banned
For anyone else having trouble, using this QR code to go to the exploit site worked for me. Might be worth giving a shot.
zdXGVcm.png

Rich!

Now we can have region free without piracy, great

You say that, but this exploit actually allows the Sky3DS flashcart which is desgned primarily for piracy to now run ROMS from any region.

So yeah. Anyway, I'm eager for the N3DS update for region free just so NOA can be all like ivemadeahugemistake.gif

You guys in america may be alright with the whole N3DS situation if this works out

You say that, but this exploit actually allows the Sky3DS flashcart which is desgned primarily for piracy to now run ROMS from any region.

So yeah. Anyway, I'm eager for the N3DS update just so NOA can be all like ivemadeahugemistake.gif

but you need the Sky3ds flashcart first . people that people that only want region free and dont want piracy have an option now

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
This is too good to be true that I feel guilty for doing this..but I will view this as "rooting" my 3ds as if it was an android tablet that i bought. Thanks OP and will order import some games now. What a year for a 3ds

I found a very interesting tidbit on the 3dbrew wiki, regarding how regional lockout works in 3DS. Apparently there are a few games that appear to be intended to be region free, however their cart contains an update for intended region. When 3DS looks at the cartridge, it first wants to make sure the update is installed (since a game could require it). If you use a cart with an update for wrong region, it will stop right there. Not sure if it's a bug that nobody cared about or something more stupid.

Lokbob

The physical japanese release of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 123 has full English support (?)
Does this mean I could play the game in full english?

It's great to hear that a region free method was worked out especially without tieing itself to flash carts but nintendo are going to snipe it in the butt soon enough, which is rather sad to think about.

So yeah. Anyway, I'm eager for the N3DS update for region free just so NOA can be all like ivemadeahugemistake.gif

You guys in america may be alright with the whole N3DS situation if this works out

Not so much. Unless it's made possible to transfer our systems over, many of us with eShop purchases will still be out of luck. I have over half my 3DS library digitally, so in the long run this doesn't really help :(

Beckx

Just thought I would give a quick warning to those. Don't import the N3DS for the *Chance* or the *Hope* that this will work in the near Future. This relies on a Browser based Exploit that doesn't work on the N3DS. It COULD one day work with the N3DS but it sure as hell won't be soon or near any foreseeable future.

Ah, bummer. I was about to go put this on my JP N3DS and move my play of Persona Q over to that device (I prefer playing on that a *lot* more). Oh well.

CompC

Wel this is awesome! But unless there's going to be a sequel to Ouendan, there don't seem to be any Japanese-exclusive games I want to play right now. Maybe European ones?

L95

I could've tested this myself, but I stupidly updated my spare OG DS a while ago. Can I use the internet browser without being forced to update? (I know you can't use the eshop)

Just bought a cheap copy of Medabots 7. Even if they patch this, I'll just keep one of my old XLs for imports and use my n3DS for new games.

HUELEN10

care to elaborate?
Isn't it obvious?

New Nintendo 3DS Isn't out in all regions until next month at least, and system firmware can be updated before then. The point of this is not having to buy an import system for import games. All people who have a 3DS must update to transfer their shit to N3DS. If this would have been released on say, the 12th of February, I could have bought a N3DS, transferred my shit, and used my old 2DS as my dedicated long-term import machine. Now, Nintendo has time on their side and if things go bad for us, I will STILL have to buy a JPN 3DS.

They should have waited.

Top Bottom