• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zone of the Enders HD is being developed by High Voltage Software (The Conduit)

They need to stop giving the job of HD ports to studios who have never done it before. That's a reason why Silent Hill HD Collection turned out the way it did, besides arguable Konami not giving them much of a budget.

Just stick with Bluepoint and 4J Studios.

kadotsu

Banned
They need to stop giving the job of HD ports to studios who have never done it before. That's a reason why Silent Hill HD Collection turned out the way it did, besides arguable Konami not giving them much of a budget.

That's a dumb argument. An example: Did you know they gave the Okami HD port to the guys that messed up MGS3:Snake Eater 3D? Right now, no footage we have seen suggests a sub par remaster. Right now, the port is neither botched nor perfect regardless of dev credentials (that are furthermore quite strong from a pure tech pov).

That's a dumb argument. An example: Did you know they gave the Okami HD port to the guys that messed up MGS3:Snake Eater 3D? Right now, no footage we have seen suggests a sub par remaster. Right now, the port is neither botched nor perfect regardless of dev credentials (that are furthermore quite strong from a pure tech pov).

I'm just saying that ideally there shouldn't be a gamble by giving it to studios that haven't done it before. By giving it to ones that have and have done a good job with it (ex.: 4J Studios and the Banjo/PD ports...by the way, where's Jet Force Gemini HD, guys), we know we'll be getting something good more than likely.
Like SEGA M2 with the retro ports...you know they're going to put effort into it rather than new Western studio #4667.

The studio in question for the ZOE HD port have a track record that's admirable in areas, but not necessarily up-converting and transferring and retouching say PS2 format assets into PS3/360 format assets. It takes an understanding of past and modern hardware to do that, right now this studio I believe is most familiar with more modern hardware. Otherwise you'll have situations like assets (fog in SH2) just not being brought over at all due to "issues".

Risette

A Good Citizen

DMC Collection is one of the better HD ports and it was done by a new-to-ports studio.

So no.

Like SEGA M2 with the retro ports...you know they're going to put effort into it rather than new Western studio #4667.
M2 isn't Sega, but they do fucking awesome ports! Unless you mean AM2, who also does awesome ports...

Hexadrive did Rez HD several years ago though, so technically they have some sort of experience in the area.

DMC Collection is one of the better HD ports and it was done by a new-to-ports studio.

So no.

Like I said in the last post, it's a gamble. The DMC Collection could have turned out horribly, rather than knowing it would be good if a studio with good HD port history was handling.

Hexadrive did Rez HD several years ago though, so technically they have some sort of experience in the area

Yeah, a console-to-handheld port is much more complicated than a one generation old console to console port, so I understand why MGS 3D turned out the way it did.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Silent Hill HD is also a bit of an edge case though, where pretty much everything went wrong. Konami's incompetence at archival and communication (they didn't send the devs the final source version and apparently did not help them at all given the final product) combined with a lazy-slash-incompetent porting studio, who instead of reverse engineering the retail version as a last resort like they should have, tried to "recreate" things, and utterly, disastrously failed. That combined with the voice rights crap, etc, I don't see it being common... at least not yet.

I feel like that's worth considering in this discussion. So far, Silent Hill HD is the outlier. Sure, there have been quite a few mediocre-to-bad HD ports, but most of them were at least superior to the original while not as superior as they should have been and not a complete wreck like SH HD was.

Also, Konami and KojiPro seem to be giving this a lot of hype and stuff, so I'm guessing (hoping) they're being confident in their product. SH HD didn't have big cool LEs and all sorts of trailers like this does, because it was junk and they knew it. (or I forgot about the trailers)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
10180861a2.jpg

I literally just ten minutes ago finished snapping together the last pieces of this motherfucker. I didn't know before getting it that it was a model SET, not "a figurine." Not that I mind, though, it was pretty fun to build. The water decals are gonna be a pain in my ass, though.

Ridley327

Like I said in the last post, it's a gamble. The DMC Collection could have turned out horribly, rather than knowing it would be good if a studio with good HD port history was handling.

At the very least, they went with a studio that despite being deficient when it comes to designing games, they are at least quite capable at programming them. I think that's why Capcom went with Pipeworks for DMC HD Collection; they may never have had experience in porting games like that, but they were at the very least an accomplished tech studio.

Besides, with the amount of support they gave the Wii, High Voltage knows a lot more about last-gen hardware than most studios today!

Jawmuncher

Honestly i'll bet money this port will be fine and nothing like SH.
My biggest concern is

Are we getting a CE?
Is this still coming out on vita?

FyreWulff

This sounds like a good bet. A studio that squeezed what they did out of the Wii would be a great technical mind to have on a port for any system, because they'd have that drive / expertise.

Ridley327

Honestly i'll bet money this port will be fine and nothing like SH.
My biggest concern is

Are we getting a CE?
Is this still coming out on vita?

1. Mum's the word on, well, any details for ZOE HD Collection in the US right now. It's certainly possible that we could get a CE, but I wouldn't put money on it.
2. Konami has seemingly disavowed all knowledge of the Vita version right now; that's not to say it's outright cancelled, but they are being very quiet about it.

And if both studios turn it down (as BluePoint are working on PSASBR Vita and 4J were working on Minecraft 360), what exactly do you expect them to do? Put it on the backburner and take forever to release it like FFX HD?

Even Sony haven't just stuck with BluePoint for all their ports and they've turned out fine. This is probably because Sony actually care about the quality of their ports, while Konami/Ubisoft didn't give a shit and only wanted the money, so their ports were shit.

So long as Kojima Productions are overseeing the ports, I'm sure they'll be fine. There's no way KojiPro would let them release something on the level of the SH Collection.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
mgs2/3 Had only one list

Nah, it has two completely different lists. They treated them as if they were each their own game.

EDIT: You're right. That's weird that for the PS3 it'd be two different games each with its own Platinum, but the 360 would treat it as one.

HV does good work from a technical standpoint. It's their art department that's lacking. The Conduit and Conduit 2 were solid in terms of mechanics and tech. The art left a lot to be desired.

No worries here.

OmegaZero

I can see the Vita version being an issue control-wise.
How would they get around the lack of buttons while keeping Jehuty's responsiveness?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Easy Platinums for people who've played before

Like one playthrough easy if memory serves

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I can see the Vita version being an issue control-wise.
How would they get around the lack of buttons while keeping Jehuty's responsiveness?

I don't remember L2/R2 being that major. At least not anything using the back touchscreen can't solve.

KageMaru

I see nothing wrong with this info and really any competent studio should be able to provide a good port as long as they have a decent budget, source material, and schedule.

I wonder how they handle all the effects in ZoE2 as that's the exact thing to bring these systems to their knees.

I'll be there day one regardless.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Easy fixes. Tap the back screen to dash, front screen to lock on.

Considering how much ZoE uses both

might not be the most ergonomic solution

It'd be smarter to leave them as shoulder buttons and map guard and burst to touch but that's not ideal either really.

I'm sure they'll figure it out if they want to do it though

Top Bottom