• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Deuce - David Simon, Franco, Gyllenhaal on sex industry in 1970's NYC - S1 on HBO

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This show is phenomenal. As everyone said, that scene between Maggie Gyllenhaal and Method Man was gut-wrenching.

Every character, major or minor – hell, they don't even need any lines – feels like a real person, interesting in its own subtle way. Like some other poster here said, it doesn't really matter what happens in the show because you're really watching it to hang out with these characters, even if they're just shooting the shit. It's impossible to play favorites, because I am in love with pretty much all of them, but I'll just say that Maggie Gyllenhall is crushing it. What a fantastic actress.

Agreed 100%.

LSD splitting his personality in two

:}

I loved that party scene. There was this big disappointment with Vinyl, HBO's other period drama set in 1970s New York. This '70s party atmosphere didn't feel authentic on Vinyl, so I really felt relieved by how well it worked on The Deuce. How did you do that?

One big compliment has to go to the costume and casting department. I actually think they got a lot of costumes from Vinyl. So they profited from that. So here comes a compliment back to Vinyl, if that's true what I heard.

Smart of them to reuse assets from Vinyl. Gotta recoup those
$100 million dollar
costs somehow!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

Why Me?

An end-of-the-year crackdown by police in and around The Deuce spurs Vincent and Bobby to action; Candy tries to persuade her adult-film director that she can do more than act; Rudy witnesses an important court ruling on obscenity and enlists Frankie and Big Mike to protect his interest in the peep shows; Alston tries to convince Sandra that he's more than just a "source."

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I almost always hate mob characters in cable dramas cause they overdo it, but it's perfect here. The made guys here are pushy, macho and kinda racist but basically just out for some coin. Other shows would've had them beating someone up with their bare hands in Episode 1 to let you know they're Scaryberries.

I almost always hate mob characters in cable dramas cause they overdo it, but it's perfect here. The made guys here are pushy, macho and kinda racist but basically just out for some coin. Other shows would've had them beating someone up with their bare hands in Episode 1 to let you know they're Scaryberries.

I like em a lot, too. I always liked realistic mob stuff, and one thing reading Wiseguy taught me is that the mob life is not glamorous, it's shit like collecting cash from peep show machines.

I've been trying to wrap my head around the economics of the prostitution trade ever since the show started, and wondering how the brothel works. Way more people taking a cut plus the cost to develop it, who loses? The girls I imagine, but probably the pimps too.

HotHamBoy

I like em a lot, too. I always liked realistic mob stuff, and one thing reading Wiseguy taught me is that the mob life is not glamorous, it's shit like collecting cash from peep show machines.

I've been trying to wrap my head around the economics of the prostitution trade ever since the show started, and wondering how the brothel works. Way more people taking a cut plus the cost to develop it, who loses? The girls I imagine, but probably the pimps too.

Pimps pay to put their girls up, girls take home their pay from johns as usual.

Whatever the pimps pay is what is getting divided by the business. I bet the business is also charging for the rooms seperately.

Yeah, I just wonder how this all works out in the details.

400 a night times 4 rooms is pretty straightforward, plus drink sales. So the brothel part checks.

How much did the girls get gross in night before, less the room costs, and then how much of that did the pimps take? Unless they are changing a lot more, seems like rent is going to squeeze them pretty hard.

HotHamBoy

400 a night times 4 rooms is pretty straightforward, plus drink sales. So the brothel part checks.

How much did the girls get gross in night before, less the room costs, and then how much of that did the pimps take? Unless they are changing a lot more, seems like rent is going to squeeze them pretty hard.

The girls always lose

Pkaz01

Maggie is so good in this, she expresses so much without saying anything during her scenes. This was one of my favorite episodes. I can’t help but root for her to be successful in directing and stay off the streets. I like watching the pimps have their backs against the wall knowing they will inevitably be not needed and will have nothing else to do.

Blackhead

Redarse

The after-show comments make that point too. Just seems like unless brothel sex is a lot more expensive, they're going to really, really lose.

It's been shown in a couple subtle ways that the women don't get a 'cut' per se. They give all their money to the pimp and then he doles out a small portion as he deems fit. The amount the women get probably won't change after moving to the brothel.

That said, the brothel should generate the pimps a lot more money. Don't forget that even as streetwalkers we are shown that the women don't only do car calls and back alleys but often rent a room as well for some customers. A flat rate would be cheaper in the long run. The real money maker though is simply the higher volume of clients. Johns could wait comfortably until someone is available and there should be minimal downtime between clients.

The problem for the pimps is not the money but the loss of some control. The brothel manager takes care of the women's needs during their time there and that protection can loosen the hold of a pimp. I'm eager to see where the story goes next.

Top Bottom