• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games for Windows Live shutting down July 1, 2014.

Sentenza

Oddly enough, that post does say that SF will continue to work as normal "for the foreseeable future".
It just means that the GFWL version will still work until the service is up.
And yeah, it's pretty obvious at this point that the shutdown won't be at the 1st of July anymore, since Microsoft will likely release an official statement at least three months in advance... But this was already discussed in other threads and in NO WAY it implies that it will never come.

Let me stress that the wording also implies that they aren't just changing the infrastructure "because of reasons", they are very clear about this happening because GFWL will shut down at some point. Which, on a side note, it's probably being stated so explicitly for the very first time since the "AoE leak".

This is far more than a 'need to know' basis.

That's true: publishers and developers (who need time to implement alternate solutions) need to know, and consumers (who can't do shit about it either way) don't.

Are you really going to hang your hat on this? This is basically a lizard-people level story you're spinning here.

give us the retribution of Shadowrun (2007), Viva Pinata, Bulletstorm, Dead Rising 2: OTR and Resident Evil 5 ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Mulgrok

That's true: publishers and developers (who need time to implement alternate solutions) need to know, and consumers (who can't do shit about it either way) don't.

Are you really going to hang your hat on this? This is basically a lizard-people level story you're spinning here.

Glad to see that the people paying for all of this stuff resides in the 'don't need to know' MS will not be fulfilling their end of the purchase agreement anymore. It is not like selling a service means they are bound by contract to provide it, and can alter the agreement without notification to all parties involved.

Glad to see that the people paying for all of this stuff resides in the 'don't need to know' MS will not be fulfilling their end of the purchase agreement anymore. It is not like selling a service means they are bound by contract to provide it, and can alter the agreement without notification to all parties involved.

I am reasonably confident that Microsoft can pull down GFWL multiplayer whenever they want without any real legal risk, unfortunately, especially since it's not a paid service anymore.

In an ideal world we'd be talking about a service that was run by a responsive, customer-facing company instead of a contemptuous, laggy conglomerate like Microsoft and therefore they'd communicate openly with their customers. But in that case we'd also probably be talking about an ongoing service people still used and enjoyed instead of digital garbage like GFWL. :/

Bleepey

Just wondering is there a way for me to download the games I paid for on GFWL. I bought Age of Empires and every attempt I make to download Age of Empire using the GFWL client on Windows 8.1 fails. What can be done? I even transferred the old files to USB.

abracadaver

Is july 1st confirmed now ? Didn't someone say it will not shut down ?

I still want to get some achievements in Fuel and GTA IV

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Microsoft has yet to say a word despite the shutdown date being two weeks away, so it's safe to say the service has been given a stay of execution (quite likely due to publishers being so slow to act -- e.g. GFWL was patched out of SSF4:AE just two weeks ago and of course many games have yet to be patched at all). My guess is that the date was pushed back six months, to December 31st.

yatesl

I managed to get 1000/1000 on Dark Souls the week before DS2 came out.

I accept the fate of the rest of my GFWL games.

Grief.exe

Many publishers are using the same phrase when describing the future of their GFWL titles in, 'the games will function for the foreseeable future.'

Combine that with Microsoft being extremely quiet so close to the unofficial shutdown date and we can assume that it has been quietly pushed back.

I managed to get 1000/1000 on Dark Souls the week before DS2 came out.

I accept the fate of the rest of my GFWL games.

Dark Souls is likely to be patched.

Namco has said several times that they are currently looking at substitutes and have already removed GFWL from Ace Combat in favor of Steamworks.

vg260

Just saw this posted by a Capcom dev in the Dead Rising 3 forum:
Guys, GFWL backend service is not going down in July.

We wouldn't be selling GFWL games on Steam this late if the GFW's Live backend (e.g., Matchmaking, Achievements, Leaderboards, etc.) service was going down in July.

Sentenza

As it turns out the conspiracy theory about lizard people is true! As you can see it's still running normally.
Are you for real?
Everyone realized months ago that the "shutting down" wasn't going to happen in July, anyway.
It was stated over and over in several threads, this one included, as you would expect at least an official confirmation three months in advance before dismissing a service.
And now you come here gloating because it didn't happen in that date?

If anything, you would have a stronger argument quoting Microsoft people that in the last days claimed the service isn't going down (yet), even if they've been spectacularly vague about it.
And yet, that seems to rely more in a recent change of mind on their part, rather than in "mass hysteria" as you are hilariously suggesting.

KillerKoala

Neo Member
And yet, that seems to rely more in a recent change of mind on their part, rather than in "mass hysteria" as you are hilariously suggesting.
The "mass hysteria" is not coming from Microsoft, it came from the gamers. And if you paid any attention at all, you would see they begged developer's to switch over before GFWL went down.

Microsoft always stated that the service was going to continually run.

So nothing is ever going to change? It was all a ruse to get developers to drop it? It stays forever as long as Windows supports it? Goddamn.

Sectus

I'm betting they delayed shut down until next year or so. Would be nice for them to just keep it up, but they don't have a huge incentive to keep it running.

Deadbeat

Banned
I'm betting they delayed shut down until next year or so. Would be nice for them to just keep it up, but they don't have a huge incentive to keep it running.
Besides burning a ton of publishers even more than what the service has already done. Im sure 2k and WB were thrilled having to repatch their game.

KillerKoala

Neo Member
Its like being told by a doctor your symptoms suggest you have 6 months left to live, then concluding you're immortal 6 months and 1 day later.
I would say it's more like being told by your doctor that you have 6 months to live, then scribbles it out and says you'll be fine. But you think that the doctor just scribbled it out because he didn't want you upset but you're still convinced it's going to happen so you visit every doctor you know to get a second opinion.

KillerKoala

Neo Member
Okay guys, whose troll account is this?
It's not a troll account. I simply registered on this forum as other internet sources where using the Neogaf forum as their source of news for Games for Windows Live. Thus making this a point of origin for the mass hysteria.

OraleeWey

Sorry for the bump. So you cant play GTA IV online on PC anymore? I just got the game on steam today for $10 with the DLC. I wasn't aware of this and I can't check now because I'm not home. Can anyone confirm?

Sorry for the bump. So you cant play GTA IV online on PC anymore? I just got the game on steam today for $10 with the DLC. I wasn't aware of this and I can't check now because I'm not home. Can anyone confirm?

GFWL is very well still up.

I doubt GTA IV has an active online community at this point though.

OraleeWey

GFWL is very well still up.

I doubt GTA IV has an active online community at this point though.

That's okay. I just want to play with a few friends.

But one of them mentioned he couldn't log into social club therefore not play online. Started googleing, ended up here :D

Top Bottom