• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trying to port full version of FF15 to Switch, maybe via UE4

Dremorak

Banned
Yeah, so comparing two games that aren't similar at all would be more valid... KH2.8 also exhibits the frame pacing issues XV has on regular PS4.
Ports dont take 3 years to develop lol. Oncw they are through the investigation stage its just matter of seeing it through. If it is going to work it will be out by next year
Edit:whoops, wrong quote lol

Falchion

I really hope they can port the real deal over to the Switch. After what we saw from Doom, anything is possible.

Do we have any technical artists in the thread? Would it be less taxing to go with toon shading? Theoretically speaking, of course.

Do we have any technical artists in the thread? Would it be less taxing to go with toon shading? Theoretically speaking, of course.

I am not a technical artist but I feel like I remember reading that cel or toon shading can actually be more taxing in some instances. I don't think it would be a viable solution.

Piscus

just out f curiosity, how big are the three games?

would they fit in a 16 GB card?? otherwise we are looking at a XIII trilogy for $80

Or the first XIII on a cart, with the other two as download codes.

edit: Just googled it. Each game seems to be like 20-30GB.

Seeing the results of Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy VII, we can expect great results. UE4 is really versatile and you can port assets from other engines to it very easily.
I really hope there is still future for Luminous Engine though.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Man, I'd be so happy if FF came to the Switch.
I went for a Switch instead of a PS4 because of my Pokemon love, but I'm a FF fan at heart too and being able to play both would be fantastic.

Eolz

Look up what PhyreEngine is.

You mean the engine used by Dragon Quest Builders, getting a Switch port next year by S-E? :p

edit: ah I see that you talked about it before. It's not that hard I think, it's just a question of "is it worth porting this game".
There's an audience for games like Builders, but they're probably not convinced for regular JRPGs (and remakes) yet.

I'm guessing they are looking to UE going forward instead of in house engines?

Luminous took a long time to create, a long time to develop on, and seemingly never hit their performance goals.

They are using UE4 for FF VII remake instead of their own engine.

It makes sense that they'd port FFXV to UE4 for future updates and scalability.

UE4 already has Switch support, Luminous may not be capable of the scalability they want moving forward.

It might be cheaper to port to UE4 than the man-hours needed to rework and make a more scalable Luminous.

Top Bottom