• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPCS3 Is A New PS3 Emulator, Still In Early Stage, Boots Commercial Game

Foffy

Banned
Thx for the link, mate.

edit: WOW this really works... AMAZING!

Does it run well for you? I don't want to go through all of the chaos of dumping my copy -- how the fuck does one even do this -- to get something that struggles. :(

I have a GTX 970 and i5 3570k in case someone wants to answer the technical end for me.

jediyoshi

jediyoshi

Södy;246611338 said:
Isn't GoW HD just upscaled anyway? So PCSX2 @ 1080p should offer the same experience?

No, remasters aren't just the original game ran at higher resolutions. Generally they take into account HD presentation, so menus/UI/HUD are redone and made for 16:9.

Here's Shadow of the Colossus

PCSX2
hSV3ZMt.png

RPCS3
als7jb4.png

Ironically the PS2 version does have an option for 16:9 (the screenshot is using it), but it only affects the scene and not the HUD.

The other benefit is that PS2 emulation is notorious for a general bluriness regardless of internal resolution (affects some games more than others). PS3 remasters aren't affected by this, so there will be much nicer IQ coming out of stuff like the Metal Gear games.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
No, remasters aren't just the original game ran at higher resolutions. Generally they take into account HD presentation, so menus/UI/HUD are redone and made for 16:9.

Here's Shadow of the Colossus

PCSX2
hSV3ZMt.png

RPCS3
als7jb4.png
They seriously used Papyrus?

I don't want to go through all of the chaos of dumping my copy -- how the fuck does one even do this

With a PS3 running custom firmware, or with a compatible Blu-ray drive. There's a brief blurb here.

My stupid question: Is transferring the contents of dev_bdvd via FTP on a CFW PS3 going to give me the same results as ripping via a PC Blu-ray drive, and then using an IRD?

I'm finding that a number of games seem to have different releases for Canada, so the IRDs are useless to me as they don't match. Was hoping to save some wear and tear on my PS3...hmmmmm....

I've read that ImgBurn doesn't pull everything off the disc that's needed, but I tried out IsoBuster on a problematic disc and the MD5s of both rips matched, so...yah. Not sure what to make of that...

ssshadow said:
Yes, just copying the contents of a disc via Multiman, FTP or whatever works. It is by far the easiest method as you only need to ctrl+c and ctrl+v basically.

Tapejara

With a PS3 running custom firmware, or with a compatible Blu-ray drive. There's a brief blurb here.

My stupid question: Is transferring the contents of dev_bdvd via FTP on a CFW PS3 going to give me the same results as ripping via a PC Blu-ray drive, and then using an IRD?

I'm finding that a number of games seem to have different releases for Canada, so the IRDs are useless to me as they don't match. Was hoping to save some wear and tear on my PS3...hmmmmm....

I've read that ImgBurn doesn't pull everything off the disc that's needed, but I tried out IsoBuster on a problematic disc and the MD5s of both rips matched, so...yah. Not sure what to make of that...

Which games are you missing IRDs for? Canada and US are considered the same region so they should share the same IRD/ID. I had no problem getting the IRDs for the games I ripped. Also, IsoBuster is what I use to rip the discs and all of the data appears to be present.

Södy

[...]

Ironically the PS2 version does have an option for 16:9 (the screenshot is using it), but it only affects the scene and not the HUD.

The other benefit is that PS2 emulation is notorious for a general bluriness regardless of internal resolution (affects some games more than others). PS3 remasters aren't affected by this, so there will be much nicer IQ coming out of stuff like the Metal Gear games.

Thanks, now that you say it, I noticed it.

Which games are you missing IRDs for? Canada and US are considered the same region so they should share the same IRD/ID. I had no problem getting the IRDs for the games I ripped. Also, IsoBuster is what I use to rip the discs and all of the data appears to be present.

I'll PM you a list when I get home...

StereoVsn

It would be nice to be able to play Tales of Vesperia, JPN version with English patch. That, Demon Souls, and a few other interesting games that never made it to PS4 or PC.

spons

Gold Member
About to purchase the "Asus BC-12D2HT" since I don't have a homebrew'd PS3 at hand right now.

Couple of questions and assumptions: how complete is the list of .ird files? Also, what if there's no .ird file? I assume I cannot rip it using the drive method then and am out of luck for the moment?

Tapejara

About to purchase the "Asus BC-12D2HT" since I don't have a homebrew'd PS3 at hand right now.

Couple of questions and assumptions: how complete is the list of .ird files? Also, what if there's no .ird file? I assume I cannot rip it using the drive method then and am out of luck for the moment?

I know that some newer (like post-2014ish) games are missing them. I think you're out of luck in that case, unless they get added later.

ISee

Does it run well for you? I don't want to go through all of the chaos of dumping my copy -- how the fuck does one even do this -- to get something that struggles. :(

I have a GTX 970 and i5 3570k in case someone wants to answer the technical end for me.

Doesn't run perfectly, there are some crashes and some slowdowns. But I'd call it playable with some struggle.

BigEmil

Time for Demon's Souls 4K.
Anyone know how accurate it currently is at emulating Demons Souls? Both visuals and audio accuracy though I will test it myself in a year.

A game such as Demons Souls deserves to be emulated as perfectly as possible near 1:1 in all aspects

dsk1210

Anyone know how accurate it currently is at emulating Demons Souls? Both visuals and audio accuracy though I will test it myself in a year.

A game such as Demons Souls deserves to be emulated perfectly near 1:1 in all aspects

It runs pretty good on my rig, pretty solid performance with the odd occasional sound glitch and crash, but it's getting there.

dmix90

What a tremendous potential. Jesus christ...

MGS4, Yakuza 3/4/5, Nier, Killzone 2/3, Resistance Trilogy........ potentially in 1080p/4K

Oh my god.

horkrux

A game such as Demons Souls deserves to be emulated perfectly near 1:1 in all aspects

It looked and sounded surprisingly accurate, to me at least. I think the only gripe I had with it was that the shield model was missing.

Top Bottom