• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch to start selling games. Streamers to get 5%

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
So this was the endgame for Amazon buying Twitch. Selling games via Amazon through the service. Pretty smart.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Pls let there be an on screen notification, like subs and donations, every time someone buys a game.

Nose Master

Ugh. Won't beat steam, and now streamers have even more dumb bullshit flashing on the stream. Any decent streaming alternatives to twitch? Size I mean, I guess.

platocplx

This is my biggest concern.

Also the streamer should make more than 5%. We can assume that twitch is making about 25% right? So the split should make something closer together IMO like 15%/15%, or at least 10%/20%.

5% is extremely Generous.

This is no different than affiliate marketing amazon already has in place. Since Amazon owns twitch the rest of the profits just go to amazon.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I don't do digital, but this is very smart.

Yup, since now it allows Amazon to compete with GameStop in the one area they could not... Customor Service Reps.

The power of suggestion was always stronger since GameStop had an army of sales individuals to push product to consumers, and now Amazon has one with even bigger reach. It's a rather big nail to hammer in.

Wedzi

Banned
I wonder if this will lead into Streamers inadvertently trying to advertise the game they're playing in order to sell a few copies? Hmm could lead to some interesting conflict of interests issues.

Apathy

I would imagine this won't change much for most streamers. Most will hands a link in their info section that will just link to whatever twitch and Amazon have planned that sells the game they are playing (like a referral link)(like the g2a ads that will probably be replaced with twitch store). I don't think most will turn into shills going "but but but this game I'm playing"

LordRaptor

This has by far the most potential to be a real Steam competitor, Twitch is a massive discovery center for games now.

I mean, I don't believe anyone 'needs' to take down steam 'because competition', but if I did I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be backing Amazon as a 'worthy competitor' when you have stuff like the Amazon Prime app blocked from certain devices that they sell their own competition to

This definitely has some issues with marketing/advertising a product. Though since it's upfront and across the board, maybe there is no violation since Twitch streamers will now be marketers from the game who profit off of its success. In a way they already did before this, but this is much more direct.

This definitely has some issues with marketing/advertising a product. Though since it's upfront and across the board, maybe there is no violation since Twitch streamers will now be marketers from the game who profit off of its success. In a way they already did before this, but this is much more direct.

There are no issues, this is simply an extension of Amazon's existing Affiliate Program, the only difference here is that Amazon owns the entire sales funnel.

Ambient80

Well this is ripe for abuse. What safeguards will be in place and how will this comply with international laws, especially when it comes to advertising to children?
I'm sure that Amazon, a multi-billion dollar international online retailer, has probably checked on this.

Ugh. Won't beat steam, and now streamers have even more dumb bullshit flashing on the stream. Any decent streaming alternatives to twitch? Size I mean, I guess.

Feel the same way. More selling and advertising and more junk thrown in our faces. Not very exciting news for me considering Twitch is wearing on me lately.

I assume this is Steam/PC only, right?

No console games? Because there's lots of popular console games on Twitch.
Not really? The regular top Twitch games are PC games.

League
CS:GO
Dota 2
Hearthstone
King of the kill
World of Warcraft
Overwatch
Minecraft

Even the multiplatform games like Overwatch or more recently For Honor are made up of mostly PC streamers.

It's already not apparent which streamers are being paid to play certain games now. I'm sure this will just blur that barely visible line even more.

I assume this is Steam/PC only, right?

No console games? Because there's lots of popular console games on Twitch.

Both xbox and Sony let third parties sell digital keys for a while now (year+), amazon has been selling them for a while and even matches weekly and flash PSN/xbox sales and of course amazon owns Twitch so the infrastructure is all in place. You get a key you redeem on your console (or the console website). I bought a few that way, they are the exact same keys as if you bought directly from Sony or Microsoft.

I just hope this encourages more digital discounts, even to this day its normal to see new games go on 30-50% sale within a month but very rare to see the digital code go on sale. Heck, with amazon prime you can buy a new physical game for 20% off for 2 weeks, but I doubt that will apply to these digital codes.

End of the day this doesn't seem like that big a deal, its $3 to the streamer on a $60 game. I don't see hundreds of people buying games per month per channel, a big chunk of the audience are people who just don't play the game but just want to see it and more importantly feel like they are in a social environment while doing something else.

MUnited83

For you.
How will they be distributed? Still via Steam?

Does steam allow unlimited key generation for titles to sell elsewhere?

Just wondering as I know Apple for example only lets you generate a limited amount.

Steam allows for unlimited key generation for titles to sell elsewhere for free.

That said, this probably uses their Twitch Launcher instead.

Both xbox and Sony let third parties sell digital keys for a while now (year+), amazon has been selling them for a while and even matches weekly and flash PSN/xbox sales and of course amazon owns Twitch so the infrastructure is all in place. You get a key you redeem on your console (or the console website). I bought a few that way, they are the exact same keys as if you bought directly from Sony or Microsoft.

I just hope this encourages more digital discounts, even to this day its normal to see new games go on 30-50% sale within a month but very rare to see the digital code go on sale. Heck, with amazon prime you can buy a new physical game for 20% off for 2 weeks, but I doubt that will apply to these digital codes.

End of the day this doesn't seem like that big a deal, its $3 to the streamer on a $60 game. I don't see hundreds of people buying games per month per channel, a big chunk of the audience are people who just don't play the game but just want to see it and more importantly feel like they are in a social environment while doing something else.
The thing is that Sony/MS still get a hefty cut of those keys, so there isn't much incentive for publishers to do it.

Amen to that. Looked up Watch Dogs 2 and Dishonored 2 prices yesterday after browsing for a new game to play. Both are $60 on PSN and XL.

Meanwhile on Amazon they're both around $30. It's insane.

Not really? The regular top Twitch games are PC games.

League
CS:GO
Dota 2
Hearthstone
King of the kill
World of Warcraft
Overwatch
Minecraft

Even the multiplatform games like Overwatch or more recently For Honor are made up of mostly PC streamers.

Not sure it changes your point but you missed off destiny which was in the top 10 for 3 years straight. Half those games are on consoles too.

But the big ones in terms of views are league/dota/C's go

What's the cut that devs get when they sell their games on Steam or PS4? Or even Amazon for that matter? 70% doesn't sound bad and it's cool that the streamer gets 5%, even if I think that's too high.

Edit: Nirolak said in the other thread that 70% is the industry standard. So this really does seem to be a positive move by Twitch.

Not sure it changes your point but you missed off destiny which was in the top 10 for 3 years straight. Half those games are on consoles too.

But the big ones in terms of views are league/dota/C's go
You mean Destiny has been on and off the top ten for 3 years. I've seen plenty of times where it's in 11th or 12th place.

Also, half? Only Overwatch and Minecraft are on consoles. That's not half.

And you can check the Overwatch and Minecraft channels yourself. The biggest are all PC players.

Nzyme32

What's the cut that devs get when they sell their games on Steam or PS4? Or even Amazon for that matter? 70% doesn't sound bad and it's cool that the streamer gets 5%, even if I think that's too high.

70% is the standard on PC with the service provider usually netting 30%. Valve on the other hand allow free key generation, so devs / pubs can cut their own deal with other vendors to sell Steam keys while valve get nothing, usually with a 70% split but can be negotiated at least (or stores eat into their own 30% to do sales promotions). Consoles have various royalty fees to contend with but roughly the same standard these days.

kcxiv

Well this is ripe for abuse. What safeguards will be in place and how will this comply with international laws, especially when it comes to advertising to children?

its twitch, and its amazon. Im sure they have all them bases covered.

mdubs

Banned
So this was the endgame for Amazon buying Twitch. Selling games via Amazon through the service. Pretty smart.

Yeah this is going to change things.

I'm happy it'll be another option though with sales so I can avoid giving money to steam as much as possible

Nzyme32

Pretty much.

Amazon / Twitch have beaten Valve to the punch on this one to an extent. For years Valve have spoken of their idea of Stores being UGC and reimbursing those people that curate such a store - but as usual they took their time and haven't actually gone all the way yet. I'm sure they will eventually, though it would still be quite different to what Amazon do with Twitch since it is a rather different type of UGC and community. Not really sure how Google's Youtube gaming effort can catch up.

TheMan

Sony already does this with their live from play station app. Can't say I bother with twitch but this seems like a good move.

Also the 5% part is cool for streamers.

killroy87

I'm blown away the streamer gets 5%, that's an incredibly generous amount. Top tier streamers will make insane bank from this. Everyone else will make incredibly little.

I'm blown away the streamer gets 5%, that's an incredibly generous amount. Top tier streamers will make insane bank from this. Everyone else will make incredibly little.

yeah there is already some young soon to be millionaires rising or have been rising on twitch.tv

it's the ultimate dream for any gamer

I have mixed feelings on Twitch streamers and streaming culture. All the glitz and glamour of being a streamer seems like it can become toxic very quickly.

Top Bottom