• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought a wireless speaker, charges via mini usb in 2017 What anachronisms you seen?

Why? Micro USB is pretty ubiquitous and USB-C is still a minority and more expensive. For basic charging purposes, micro USB is fine.

This. I don't understand the fascination with everything needing to have USB-C yet

USB-C is compliant with the fastest data transfer rate (USB 3.1), has more power throughput (awesome for fast-charging phones), and is reversible (you can't try to plug it in "upside down" and fail like the other USB specs).You barely even have to look at what you're doing to cram a USB-C cable in there, then your phone is off to the races, charging at warp speed.

USB-C is literally why I went with Pixel over iPhone and the S7 last year. With the same cable I can charge my phone, Switch, Switch pro controller, and Macbook. It's objectively the best form of USB.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
USB-C is compliant with the fastest data transfer rate (USB 3.1), has more power throughput (awesome for fast-charging phones), and is reversible (you can't try to plug it in "upside down" and fail like the other USB specs).You barely even have to look at what you're doing to cram a USB-C cable in there, then your phone is off to the races, charging at warp speed.

USB-C is literally why I went with Pixel over iPhone and the S7 last year. With the same cable I can charge my phone, Switch, Switch pro controller, and Macbook. It's objectively the best form of USB.

Which is all lovely. But when you're just wanting to feed 5v 500mA down a wire as a Simple power supply for a cheap speaker, you don't need fast charging or super high transfer speeds.

Don't think of micro USB i these situations as USB at all. Just imagine them as those cylindrical DC adapters from years ago, only rectangular.

Which is all lovely. But when you're just wanting to feed 5v 500mA down a wire as a Simple power supply for a cheap speaker, you don't need fast charging or super high transfer speeds.

Don't think of micro USB i these situations as USB at all. Just imagine them as those cylindrical DC adapters from years ago, only rectangular.
Even in this case, why would you want a proprietary cable? Being able to swap out devices and have them all use the same cord is amazing.

jts

...hate me...
No it's not. Not when those cables cause a fire and people will blame the Surface and not the cable. Especially in light of Samsung Notes catching fire.
The Samsung Notes caught fire because of their own design and not because of 3rd party cables, so there's really not a comparison there. No one would blame Microsoft for isolated fire incidents pertaining faulty or non-compliant cables that have always happened even before USB-C, and if it would happen on a large scale, they would affect more than the Surfaces.

Seemingly that's not a problem for Apple to put out MacBooks and MacBook Pros that charge with USB-C, not a problem for Nintendo with the Switch, not a problem for every other phone manufacturer, so there's really nothing special about the Surface to make it the only device out of these in which the manufacturer is worried about this "issue".

We probably get closer to the real reason when we realise that not even the Surface Studio has USB-C as a simple data port.

jstripes

Banned
No it's not. Not when those cables cause a fire and people will blame the Surface and not the cable. Especially in light of Samsung Notes catching fire.

Those shitty bargain cables are never going away, unfortunately. Not as long as there's a buck to be made selling them. Should Microsoft just never adopt USB-C?

Fuchsdh

It's also to keep you from connecting a host device to a host device and getting a free fireworks show.

they just sorta ended up being the only thing that uses USB-B because it saves the manufacturer money to just put the port on vs a permanent USB wire

Don't forget scanners.

And even recent DSLRs I've seen come with a mini-USB end instead of a micro.

They're still around too, and far more infuriating (because there's like five different sizes, some of which look identical until you try and plug them in, and all different voltage/amp combinations that are physically compatible but might damage your electronics.)

sirap

My new IPad Pro still uses a lighting port and comes in the box with a slow ass charger that charges the thing from 0 to full in roughly 3 hours.

The only way to get any reasonably fast charging is to shell out for a Macbook charger and USB-C to lightning cable.

But that's Apple for you.

Gaardus

My drawing tablet connects via mini-USB, but the actually archaic thing is having to manually install drivers, and Lord help you if you plug it in first.

I'd probably just return it tbh.

Since I threw away my PSP the only mini usb thing I have is my backup scanner.

Please tell me that "threw away" secretly means dropped off at Goodwill. :(

soco

What's so good about USB C?

for the purpose of charging, it's just that the connector is pretty small, it's the same on both ends, and there's no "upside down" to the ends.

i've got some work devices with it, and it's nice to really not need to find the right end anymore as this should replace all the previous ones until now.

jstripes

Banned
What's so good about USB C?

USB-C is the closest we've ever come to the "everything" cable. In fact, it is the "everything" cable. And you can plug it in upside-down. Between that and Bluetooth, it's all you're going to need for accessories in the near and not-so-near future.

Top Bottom