• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monday Night Combat Invitational - Now with more DOTA!

naib

I just signed up for the beta. We'll see.

I bought the first one on PC and honestly never put much time into it. Maybe if I get in on the bottom floor on this will I'll enjoy it. Can't hurt at least.

bluemax

Banned
Small playing size sample, but this game just feels less fun than Monday Night COmbat. I think they pushed the DotA angle too far.

RoadDogg

I honestly have no idea if I am doing well or not until the match is over... I also feel like the hit feedback is severely lacking. I never can tell if I am getting hit or hitting someone else so I just die over and over. The support class seems to be the only thing I can play and not die in seconds with. Just heal a tank class and move your turret up as far as you can. I should probably play some practice matches before I try again and read up on a tutorial or something.

DarkKyo

This thread needs more screens.

Captain Spark to the rescue!
4LJMv.jpg

LuchaShaq

Banned
Anyone been able to get a 360 pad to work in the invitational? It has options under settings but it doesn't seem to recognize my inputs on it. Such a bummer because It's growing on me but I can't play more than 5-10 min with wasd without my hands cramping painfully.

Going to play some games, trying to get a little team going. You can join us in the SMNC mumble they have if you want some good communication. Add me on steam. :)

Steam ID - InfectedZero

Address - mbl2.gameservers.com
Port - 10020

Atomski

Anyone been able to get a 360 pad to work in the invitational? It has options under settings but it doesn't seem to recognize my inputs on it. Such a bummer because It's growing on me but I can't play more than 5-10 min with wasd without my hands cramping painfully.

Everything seems to work but aiming with the right stick. I imagine its on their to do list.

bluemax

Banned
I honestly have no idea if I am doing well or not until the match is over... I also feel like the hit feedback is severely lacking. I never can tell if I am getting hit or hitting someone else so I just die over and over. The support class seems to be the only thing I can play and not die in seconds with. Just heal a tank class and move your turret up as far as you can. I should probably play some practice matches before I try again and read up on a tutorial or something.

This is exactly why I don't enjoy the game. I played as assault and I felt like I wasn't doing damage to anything. If I was the game wasn't giving proper feed back.

Its just too much like that noob experience in a DotA game, where nothing makes sense and you just feel lost and overwhelmed. I really don't like that out of this game. MNC never really made me feel that way.

deduce

Everything seems to work but aiming with the right stick. I imagine its on their to do list.
Aiming works with the right stick. At first it didn't work for me as well, but then in game I scrolled through the different control types and went back to Standard and the right stick started working.

Atomski

Aiming works with the right stick. At first it didn't work for me as well, but then in game I scrolled through the different control types and went back to Standard and the right stick started working.

Strange. Will give it a try later.

I've been using a PS3 controller emulated in motionjoy since the start of the beta. Everything works fine.

Badass!! Do you main combat girl? She can be such a bitch to go up against lol..

I play as Captain Spark mostly. If you ever wanna play together add me on steam!

Ive been trying to, her and the Gunner. She is pretty awesome but I have had some bad games with her with no kills ahaha.

zulfate

Ive been trying to, her and the Gunner. She is pretty awesome but I have had some bad games with her with no kills ahaha.

combat girl is my favorite, once you level up the combat kitties she can really fortify a section on the map. usually she is the best for the annihilator but make sure you have atleast level 3 kitties by first anni, then head up there before anni is ready set up and rape...lol

i also like to get close to the enemy bot lanes and set up kitties there on top of the arch way, the one thing i love is that you can set up the kitties on anything were as the support has a stronger turret but cant set it upside down or attach it to any wall.

i tried out the gunner but i didnt like him very much, he doesnt play the same to me like he did in MNC.

LuchaShaq

Banned

I can't get ANYTHING on my controller to be recognized by the game despite it working fine on other steam and 360 games since I wanted to make sure it wasn't my pad.

Wthermans

Banned
combat girl is my favorite, once you level up the combat kitties she can really fortify a section on the map. usually she is the best for the annihilator but make sure you have atleast level 3 kitties by first anni, then head up there before anni is ready set up and rape...lol

i also like to get close to the enemy bot lanes and set up kitties there on top of the arch way, the one thing i love is that you can set up the kitties on anything were as the support has a stronger turret but cant set it upside down or attach it to any wall.

i tried out the gunner but i didnt like him very much, he doesnt play the same to me like he did in MNC.

Gunner's minigun is more important than his mortars now (since the mortars travel farther before splitting) and has to rely on his teammates to get out of trouble since he has no speed boost/getaway skills. Upgrade your Minigun to duals right away and ambush people like whoa.

I've mainly played Tank and Veteran during the Beta. Definitely like Veteran. Feels like a stronger assassin that can pull foes to him instead of cloaking. Tank is pretty meh. Product Grenade maxed is great for bot waves, but his damage is pretty laughable. The railgun is pretty much worthless until level 10+ and even then, you're better off chucking product nades at them. This was pre-update 17 when they increased his damage so I'm not sure how he plays since.

zulfate

Gunner's minigun is more important than his mortars now (since the mortars travel farther before splitting) and has to rely on his teammates to get out of trouble since he has no speed boost/getaway skills. Upgrade your Minigun to duals right away and ambush people like whoa.

I've mainly played Tank and Veteran during the Beta. Definitely like Veteran. Feels like a stronger assassin that can pull foes to him instead of cloaking. Tank is pretty meh. Product Grenade maxed is great for bot waves, but his damage is pretty laughable. The railgun is pretty much worthless until level 10+ and even then, you're better off chucking product nades at them. This was pre-update 17 when they increased his damage so I'm not sure how he plays since.

ok cool will try that out, also his rocket seems weak? am i crazy

The controller controls are bugged certainly, one works but forward and back are switched around. Other one works on every game but this. I've played using the switched sticks, fun times but at least it works.

The game itself is great but its like everyone stands on a line up, waiting for someone to cross too far then all 4-5 guys gang up on you for a kill. Problem is, what does Veteran do?

GRAB PEOPLE ACROSS THE MAP. These guys last night, a... "Gangsta" Clan i guess played and this is what they did. Vet would grab people and then chain grapple with the rest of his team mates. They got to the point that they trapped us in spawn and (i know this is a bug) grab people out of spawn.

To say the least, nobody got over $600.

There's many little things i don't like, especially buying upgrades and characters. I hate playing games that I have to play a ton just to be on equal playing field with people.
Just wait till you face a gunner with 25% higher fire rate, especially with the tissue paper gunslinger.

It might seem like I'm complaining a lot but its really good when you just push, dominate, have total reversals from your moneyball to a win.

I like how you have to invest more into each match than the first MNC. Lots of leveling up, lots of battling robots, and more attributes to upgrade. The new range of characters is really exciting too. My problem with MNC was that while the combat was great, it didn't really feel like you were working towards much. Bring down the moneyball and that's it. SMNC has a heavier stakes feeling to the matches reflected in stats, agent level, earning credits, and overall longer and more intense matches.
this is exactly how i felt about the original mnc as well. i always thought it was too conservative in implementing dota mechanics so i am excited to see how the sequel has shaped up.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Aren't you not supposed to post screens based on the TOS when you accept your beta invite?

Tokubetsu

Trying to learn how to play a commando (assassin) because everybody wants to play em, but nobody wants to learn how to play em. Bong bong.

Yeah they aren't too powerful, but you have to consider they are a fire and forget skill. Plus at level 4, you can lock onto multiple targets.

Idk, i think they're plenty strong when coupled with machine gun. Once you get them leveled up, the cool down so fast and you'll do a quarter to half health with a single rocket depending on the pro you're hitting.

zulfate

me tokubetsu and randoms grouped up....and we lost so bad hahahaha, good times eitherway

anyone else play around with the new update, the new map is good but confusing as all hell but they said its still in the works. plus they added products which are perks practically

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hiyoo! Rule Change 20 here. We're lookin' live at Downtown Spunky Arena!

New map week! Downtown Spunky Arena has been added to the map rotation. In keeping with history we're releasing this map in an unfinished art state. It will go through continued art revisions just as Bullet Gorge has. The Downtown Spunky layout was inspired by the layout of Monday Night Combat's Spunky Cola Arena and updated to fit Super MNC's game mechanics.

Products! The Product System is now unlocked. To set your products go to locker room, click on the "Products" tab and create a product set. After building a product set you can use that set in a custom class or during Pro choosing before a game. What Products are and how they work are described below. Products can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=12459&p=187277#p187277

As always, feel free to leave us feedback on http://www.uberent.com/forums!

New Rules
New Free Pro Rotation: Sniper, Captain Spark, Karl, Combat Girl, Cheston
Greatly changed the calculation to determine if you earn a 'leave' in a game. Should happen less often.
New message HUD UI. Now shows an icon along with descriptive text.
Improved in-game VOIP chat.
Added new audio to the end game scoreboard.
New position icons for Strikers, Commandos, Enforcers, Sharpshooters, and Defenders

Products
Added full Products system
Products add new game play, as opposed to Endorsments that just alter statistics.
Products are used when an in-game event occurs. There are products that use when you juice, die, respawn, make a kill, and more.
Products have an in-game Pro Level requirement. This means you have to get enough XP, in game, to attain the level that turns that product on. Once you reach that level it will start working. Products that don't list it's Pro Level requirement are unlocked all the time and will work immediately at the start of the game.
Products can be unlocked for you, the Agent, via combat credits.

Bullet Gorge Arena
Continued art revisions.

Downtown Spunky Arena
Added new arena!

Bots
Spawned Black Jacks and Bouncers no longer give money when they die and will no longer drop loot.
Fixed neutral Black Jacks from never timing out and sometimes ending up with multiples hanging around.
Jackbot: Slam now has an inner radius that can not be jumped over.
Jackbot: Health: 27000 -> 30000
Bouncer: Speed: 770 -> 670

Assault
Fly: Skill Drain: -15/-9/-6.5/-5 -> -13.75/-8.25/-6/-4.5 (Compensates for use cost introduced last update)
Hippy Uniform: Fixed Ice Men version showing up as Hot Shots
Assault Bomb: Radius: 256/384/512/512 -> 512/512/512/512

Captain Spark
New Taunt: Tap Dance

Cheston
New Taunt: Vision
New Uniform: Beach Leech
Rampage: Fixed rare case where client would get stuck running forward until he charged or rampaged again.
Hippy Uniform: Fixed some texture alignment issues.
Fixed some graphical issues with Cheston's models.
Tommy Gun: Spread: 0.02 -> 0.025
Tommy Gun: Spread Return Per Shot/Not shooting: 0.02/0.05 -> 0.023/0.04
Exploding Barrel: Damage Radius: 512/512/512/512 -> 384/384/384/384
Rampage: Damage: 80/120/160/200 -> 80/110/130/150
Rampage: Damage Radius: 384/384/384/384 -> 320/320/320/320

Combat Girl
Combat Laser: Radius: 32/64/96/112 -> 96/96/96/96

Gunner
Ground Slam: Now has an inner radius that players can not jump over.
Ground Slam: Fixed Assault's Fly jets not turning off properly if he is slammed while flying.
Rocket: Life Span: 30 -> 10
Rocket: Damage: 100/200/250/300 -> 80/160/200/240
Rocket: Turn Rate: 120/360/720/1080 -> 720/720/720/720
Rocket: Tightened up the view angle to keep a target locked

Karl
Junior: Fixed damaging allied Combat Kittens in certain situations.
Junior: Damage Radius: 128/256/384/512 -> 384/384/384/384
Handler: Alt Fire projectile life span: 2 -> 6
Prop Hop: Radius: 256/512/768/1024 -> 768/768/768/768

Sniper
Updated his pose in the locker room.

Support
Heal/Hurt Gun: Heal: 18 -> 16
Heal/Hurt Gun: Hurt Reload Time: 1 -> 1.2

Veteran
New Taunt: Hi Boys
Hot Seat: Fixed lunge used in conjuntion with his jump jets to gain massive distance.

Wascot
Base Health: 770 -> 755
Coin Launcher: Updated reload animation
New jump animation
Crook Hook: Will now play proper impact sound.
Party Pooper: Will now play sounds on affected Pros.
Shifty Shuffle: New shifty effect.

Bug Fixes
Fixed Bullet Gorge replays showing up as untitled.
Fixed end game scoreboard showing an XP discrepancy between what was actually earned and what is displayed.
Fixed the client and server disagreeing on a Pro's speed when they are slowed via the Support's Heal/Hurt Gun.
Fixed skill sounds being played twice on certain clients.
Fixed head crabs and ground zeroes from playing the same sound twice.
Fixed replays not showing money ball messages and friendly/hostile players based on the Pro you were following.
Fixed mouse wheel not working properly in Pro selection.
Fixed allied name plates drawing in the middle of the screen when they are actually behind you.
Fixed a crash caused by rotating the main menu Pro when a game starts.
Fixed and added feedback for empty friends lists.
Fixed some instances of games starting without having a full ten players.
Fixed log in UI's buttons being misaligned by 1.1 pixel.
Fixed an instance of players not getting a Pro until they die and respawn caused by simultaneous lock of the same Pro.
Fixed taunt drop down behavior from displaying incorrect information.
Fixed dragging endorsements in the locker room from sometimes not showing the endorsement.
Fixed getting the scoreboard on top of the Pro select screen.

Tokubetsu

who knew a rocket will turn faster!? which is good now people will run away more in fear of it lol

I should rephrase that. They changed it so it's faster at lower levels but never reached the max speed it did before (1080). They took it's tier 3 speed and made that it's speed every level now.

DOTA *TPS (third person shooter)

Intriguing. With this going F2P, it looks like the best thing is to just wait it out and not bother with the first one then. Is it ok to ask for invites here or do we have another thread for that? Because I'd love to get in on this.

Tokubetsu

Intriguing. With this going F2P, it looks like the best thing is to just wait it out and not bother with the first one then. Is it ok to ask for invites here or do we have another thread for that? Because I'd love to get in on this.

I think it'd be okay since interest in this game isn't exactly filling the thread. IF you want an idea of what the game plays like, here's a post I made a few pages back:

Been playing since before Christmas. Really fun. I know some aren't gonna enjoy the change but I can dig it. I actually encountered a gaffer the other day....twice. Name started with a Z. His team won both times ='(

For the OP, to get a better idea of the game, everyone should watch the GB Quick Look EX:
http://youtu.be/-YnjQJk9mq8

(It's an hour long)

The GB QuickLook is an hour long but it's a good quicklook with one of the devs sitting in as well.

Card Boy

Banned
I know Gaf as a collective seems to love Giant Bomb, apparently Giant Bomb users will be getting a free skin for SMNC.

It was mentioned somewhere on the SMNC forums.

Tokubetsu

I know Gaf as a collective seems to love Giant Bomb, apparently Giant Bomb users will be getting a free skin for SMNC.

It was mentioned somewhere on the SMNC forums.

They mention it in the video as well. It's a luchador skin (GB mascot) for Veteran. MNC owners will get the gold veteran skins too, for the classic pros.

Railer

Would love an invite to this game. Played the original quite a bit and it was awesome.
I also totally missed that GB did a quick look on this game, time to watch that.

Keasar

Woo! Got an invite earlier today, have been playing a few games and so far, I would say I like this better the MNC.

inky

So, oipic was kind enough to invite me to the beta earlier today, and I just got a code in the mail after that so first to quote gets it.

Just a couple of things, be sure you want to play the game please, so you don't take a spot out of someone who really wants in... and if you get some extra invites with that at least give one back to GAF =) Thanks.

Boken

Banned
So, oipic was kind enough to invite me to the beta earlier today, and I just got a code in the mail after that so first to quote gets it.

Just a couple of things, be sure you want to play the game please, so you don't take a spot out of someone who really wants in... and if you get some extra invites with that at least give one back to GAF =) Thanks.

quote quote
I didn't like the first as much, but hearing this was more MOBA-like, I'm interested.

Sanic

I still wonder if I would prefer things if lethality was bumped up again and we were looking at something like 15 minute matches on average. Sometimes I feel like i'm just not being impactful, which is often the same feeling I get when I play other dota clones or dota itself, but it feels a bit off in an action game like this.

Top Bottom