• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bojack Horseman 'Downer Ending' (S1ep11)

Fuuuuuuuck.

Show started off kind of slow but picked way up. And then that shit. Damn! Now I'm definitely hooked. I thought for sure that was the season finale.
the drug trip was one of the best I've seen in media. And that final scene was heartbreaking

What did you think of it Gaf?

Yup the last couple s1 episodes are when the show clicked for me.

Then holy shit season 2.

I'm still making my way through season 3 but wow this show goes places.

Palmer_v1

Fuuuuuuuck.

Show started off kind of slow but picked way up. And then that shit. Damn! Now I'm definitely hooked. I thought for sure that was the season finale.
the drug trip was one of the best I've seen in media. And that final scene was heartbreaking

What did you think of it Gaf?

Welcome to an incredible show.

The show can be very dark sometimes, and I love it.

Zophar

Each season's climax is HEAVY. You haven't seen anything yet. Bojack is way better than it has any right to be. The first few episodes don't do justice to what it becomes at all.

PSqueak

Banned
It really caught me off guard when i was watching it, but it sets the mood for future seasons, because they do super heavy episodes like that every season and they always work.

Primus

The eleventh episode of each season is where the real emotional brutalizing happens. You think you've prepared, you think you've made it through the earlier painful episodes so you can take whatever Bojack throws at you, but you're wrong. And it hurts and the feelings just keep on clubbing you and it's just soooooooooo good.

Welcome to the ride.

Betty

Banned
I thought season 1 was just good, but the following seasons not only got far better, it made the show reach heights and depths I would never have anticipated.

Damn Gaf, didnt know the show was this well regarded.

Just finished season 1, last two episodes were by far the best.

Can't wait to start season 2

Before jumping into Season 2, there's a Christmas Special that slots in at this point, be sure to check that out now, even though it's october (I guess since we have Halloween in January, we can have Christmas in October?)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its funny that one of the most brutally honest shows out there features talking animal people and all manner of sight gags based on that. That and some revelations about the world itself is rather disturbing.
Where seafood comes from :(

Primus

I need a status report on the other seasons, I feel each Episode 11 gets Heavier and Heavier each season that passes.

S01E11 - Like getting mugged and beaten and left in an alleyway.

S02E11 - More akin to being hit by a car, bouncing off the windshield and hitting the pavement.

S03E11 - OH GOD NO PLEASE DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

S04E11 - I am made entirely of pain, suffering is the whole of my existence.

PSqueak

Banned
Its funny that one of the most brutally honest shows out there features talking animal people and all manner of sight gags based on that. That and some revelations about the world itself is rather disturbing.
Where seafood comes from :(

I actually appreciate that the show answers the questions people think about.

-Food comes from non sapient variants of equally anthropomorphic animals
-Babies from inter species couples are one species or the other, no mixes.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

S02E11 - More akin to being hit by a car, bouncing off the windshield and hitting the pavement.

S03E11 - OH GOD NO PLEASE DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nah 0211 was "OH GOD PLEASE DON'T DO IT NONONONONONONOOOOOOOO"

Betty

Banned
Same here I'm only on season 3

Show might be dark but when I saw Mr Peanut butter I'm happy 🐶

"What is this, a crossover episode?"

iKuv5Qc.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You're a piece a shit. Such a giant piece of shit. You should do everyone a favor and kill yourself
Don't think any scene from any show or movie has ever hit as close to home as the inner monologue one

What it feels like to come to grips with the back half of a season of Bojack Horseman:
lYIeYGw.jpg

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I admit that this episode wrecked me after watching it. Hit a bit too close to home.

Get ready for more soul crushing penultimate season ending episodes.

matt05891

Forced myself through the first season and came out with having watched a great show by the end of season 4. It took a bit but it really touches where no other show goes. I actually told people it's not very good when I started it and had to take it back after I watched more.

Ottaro

Forced myself through the first season and came out with having watched a great show by the end of season 4. It took a bit but it really touches where no other show goes. I actually told people it's not very good when I started it and had to take it back after I watched more.

I remember thinking I wouldn't like Mr. Peanutbutter when I started the first season.

I was a fool.

kris.

Banned
I remember thinking I wouldn't like Mr. Peanutbutter when I started the first season.

I was a fool.

Mr. Peanutbutter was the only character I knew right away I'd love only because I'm obscenely biased. I fucking love anything with Paul F. Tompkins in it.

Fake, Mr. Peanutbutter only wears V-necks.

That's clearly a V-neck. It's got the little sown together v!

Anyway, I need to catch up. I loved the first two seasons, but I've never been in quite the right emotional space to start season 3 after . . . that finale. Jesus.

Anyway, BoJack is a great show and the creator seems to have a really great understanding of why the show works and how to do what they do. It's no accident.

Oh yeah, Downer Ending is one of the show"s highest points and it sets the tone for the following seasons. I watched S1 with my dad and up until ep10 he thought the show was "fine". After finishing Downer Ending, he looked at me and said "that was very intense".

jakomocha

I honestly think Bojack Horseman is one of the best, most brilliant TV shows of all time. It's a shame so many people won't give it a shot on the premise alone or give up on it early because it starts off pretty weakly (which I actually think ultimately actually works to its benefit).

Guess Who

Banned
A lot of people find later seasons’ episode 11s to hit harder, but season 1’s is still my favorite. It hit me in a more personal place than the rest. I’ve never (S2 and S3)
tried to fuck a friend’s daughter or helped send someone into a fatal downward spiral of drug use
, but I’ve definitely been (S1E11)
self-destructive and lonely and hurtful to people close to me and wishing someone would love me despite everything

I know some people say season 2 is where the show gets great, but the second half of S1 was some super real and personal shit for me. I loved it even at the time.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I can’t stop watching it. I found this show at a time of my life when I really needed it.

...and 0211 is definitely NONONONONONONO

daveo42

Banned
What I always tell people about Bojack Horseman is that while it's labeled as a comedy, they should really view it as a drama with comedy elements. While the show is funny and has some amazing background gags, it's way more about the human condition which is also in itself a joke. That joke being a show with talking animals has more emotional depth than most media filled with regular old humans.

Season 2 ramps things up with who Bojack is as a person. Season 3 peaks with Bojack being confronted by who he is by the end. Season 4 comes together as him sort of taking the advice he should have way back in seasons 1-3. I don't want to think about how the next season will shake out.

Top Bottom