• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Speaking of kickstarters, looks like people are freaking out about Megacon games, the company reps have been MIA in a while, no one is getting any responses to attempting to contact them. Their last FB post was in April.

Almost all their Kickstarters have had big problems, some people are getting worried.

Mr E.

andor.. yay or nay?
I'm budgetng for the months to come and planning what to get for the upcoming month(s) :)

can it be solo-ed? (big question)
if not, if the game is very good, i'll still buy it, it's just that it force me to ask my gf to play or to "forcefully" rope my friends into playing :)
I don't understand what you mean.

Experien

Speaking of kickstarters, looks like people are freaking out about Megacon games, the company reps have been MIA in a while, no one is getting any responses to attempting to contact them. Their last FB post was in April.

Almost all their Kickstarters have had big problems, some people are getting worried.

MIA? They've been posting almost weekly on Myth: Dark Frontier. It is due to hit backers probably early September, only a little off from their August goal.

They also posted in Myth: Journeymen awhile back (and I posted it on here) that they've been silent cause someone else is buying the Myth franchise so NDA and such but assured everyone that everything is currently in production.

They have been responding on KS too.

MIA? They've been posting almost weekly on Myth: Dark Frontier. It is due to hit backers probably early September, only a little off from their August goal.

They also posted in Myth: Journeymen awhile back (and I posted it on here) that they've been silent cause someone else is buying the Myth franchise so NDA and such but assured everyone that everything is currently in production.

They have been responding on KS too.

Lot of negative posts on their FB, bad reviews, folks not getting answers about other products, some odd comments on BGG. Have they just clammed up to only focus on their current KS? Its as if they are having communication issues at least or big changes going on.

EYEL1NER

Maybe I'll wait a tick before ordering Kingdomino. I was going to order it before going to sleep but then I checked some OLGS and saw it was $5 cheaper there than Amazon. I didn't realize MSRP was only $19.99. I don't have any standing orders with CSI or want to get $100 worth of stuff right now, so I'll wait and see. Hopefully the SdJ win doesn't lead to a rush of people buying and it selling out (who am I kidding, that always happens?).

Karkador

Banned
Maybe I'll wait a tick before ordering Kingdomino. I was going to order it before going to sleep but then I checked some OLGS and saw it was $5 cheaper there than Amazon. I didn't realize MSRP was only $19.99. I don't have any standing orders with CSI or want to get $100 worth of stuff right now, so I'll wait and see. Hopefully the SdJ win doesn't lead to a rush of people buying and it selling out (who am I kidding, that always happens?).

An SdJ win pretty much guarantees the game will be available at a good price for a while.

Experien

Lot of negative posts on their FB, bad reviews, folks not getting answers about other products, some odd comments on BGG. Have they just clammed up to only focus on their current KS? Its as if they are having communication issues at least or big changes going on.

Dark Frontier is the latest and not necessarily something the new company will pursue so they can talk about that but most of the information and posts are about Pledge Manager and production prototypes. But it will be part of the Myth purchase. This means that Dark Frontier probably won't be sold in stores.

zulux21

Andor as in legends of andor..
Any advice or gaf review?

I own legends of andor and the expansion.
but sadly I can't help you as I haven't gotten around to playing it.

it says 2-4 players but given that it is a co op game I can't see why you couldn't play the two player mode by yourself controlling multiple characters.

wish I could help more.

I need to play the games I own...
*goes off to buy more games*

I own legends of andor and the expansion.
but sadly I can't help you as I haven't gotten around to playing it.

it says 2-4 players but given that it is a co op game I can't see why you couldn't play the two player mode by yourself controlling multiple characters.

wish I could help more.

I need to play the games I own...
*goes off to buy more games*
thanks for answering nonetheless ;)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Legends of Andor is easy to solo with not too much overhead. Not too fond of the game itself.

I like the game for its scenarios, but its on the "introduction game" side of the genre. Cool to gather a few people who dont play that many boardgames and let them dive in.

I'm slowly warming up to possibly getting Arkham, but if I do decide to pick it up, will probably solo it. Is it worth it or not if I plan on mostly soloing it?

Also are there any dedicated YouTube channels to solo/solitaire tabletop games? I found one but was hoping for more.

zulux21

I'm slowly warming up to possibly getting Arkham, but if I do decide to pick it up, will probably solo it. Is it worth it or not if I plan on mostly soloing it?

Also are there any dedicated YouTube channels to solo/solitaire tabletop games? I found one but was hoping for more.
assuming you are talking about the card game...
given there is a branching story to play through I imagine there should be plenty of interest to a single player.

and since it is a hot item right now if you can find one at MSRP you can likely play it and if you hate it get all of your money back.

card game is cool..
i've played dunwich (half of it solo), a few times the core campaign with the gf..
now i'm introducing a friend so hopefully we can gather a few more..
but all in all, you can play it solo just fine!
gaf has actually a dedicated thread for arkham lcg here

I like the game for its scenarios, but its on the "introduction game" side of the genre. Cool to gather a few people who dont play that many boardgames and let them dive in.
Introductory? The mechanics aren't too complex but that unforgiving time limit.

Llyranor

I want to thank you guys for the Pandemic recommendation as an entry-level coop game. Played some 2p and it was pretty fun. We won one match with no cards left! On the Brink xpac also seems like it'll add quite a bit to the game with the mutations and virulent strains.

So, my friends are total flakes these days and I can't get people around enough to play games.

What I need to do is find a new group.. In the mean time, any recommendations for solo play, or something I can play while my girlfriend casually assists? Would Mansions of Madness be cool or something where I can do the playing, and she can read the events/flavor text/ etc..?

I'm dying here.. Need to play GAMES.

So, my friends are total flakes these days and I can't get people around enough to play games.

What I need to do is find a new group.. In the mean time, any recommendations for solo play, or something I can play while my girlfriend casually assists? Would Mansions of Madness be cool or something where I can do the playing, and she can read the events/flavor text/ etc..?

I'm dying here.. Need to play GAMES.

One deck dungeon is cool solo game with a good coop mode for a cheap price.

card game is cool..
i've played dunwich (half of it solo), a few times the core campaign with the gf..
now i'm introducing a friend so hopefully we can gather a few more..
but all in all, you can play it solo just fine!
gaf has actually a dedicated thread for arkham lcg here

assuming you are talking about the card game...
given there is a branching story to play through I imagine there should be plenty of interest to a single player.

and since it is a hot item right now if you can find one at MSRP you can likely play it and if you hate it get all of your money back.

thanks. If I need a break from LotR I'll pick up the core Arkham set.

I just learned of Grimslingers which looks great, but I realize I need to wait till its next release as it seems to fix alot of the original release's problems.

EYEL1NER

Tonight was a good night. No one but me showed up to the game night host's house; he messaged me ahead of time and asked me to bring my Armada stuff. I brought that, Chameleon in case people showed up, Pandemic Iberia, and then Memoir '44 (which popped into my head minutes before I left to head over). He really wanted me to bring Merchants and Marauders but I was like "I flipped through the rules when I got it and the expansion two months ago, and then never looked back. It's gonna take me more than an hour to learn it enough to teach it. I need a week to figure it out, watch some vids, find some player aides, and whatnot."

We played the Pegasus Bridge and Sword Beach scenarios in Memoir (I won Pegasus as Allies but his Axis powers beat me at Sword Beach). After that he wanted to play War of the Ring but he's isn't completely up and up on the rules since he hasn't played it in a while. He wanted to do Armada, but I actually wasn't feeling Armada. So we wound up playing Rebellion. It was my fourth time with Rebellion and my first time as Rebels. I actually got to win once, playing as Rebels! I won by turn end of turn 7, so fairly quick too. His planets were kind of spread out instead of concentrated around Coruscant like mine randomly are as Imperial, so I placed my base at Corellia. He found it mid-way through the game by just stumbling upon it after deploying some troops to it since he had some TIEs there after a Soontir Fel mission. I wiped him out really quick on the ground and then moved it next turn to Tatooine, where it stayed uncovered until the end. I managed to kill a Death Star to get two points and my opponent conceeded. I showed him my "Gain '*' points, one for each destroyed system" objective and said "As soon as we enter the refresh step, I'll get one point for the one destroyed system and win. That was satisfying.

EDIT: Aww man, I decided that I finally wanted to pick up some M44 expansion content since I remembered how much I like it tonight while playing it. Most of it is all OOP right now though. I did see where it was said that apparently the long-OOP Air Pack is slated to be revised and released, but I also saw where someone on BGG said that the team in charge got cut down to like three people after the Asmodee buyout, so things are moving really slow. Maybe it's time to finally buy Command & Colours Ancients, which I've had on my wishlist for a while (can't ever get it at my desired price point though).

Moobabe

Just played my first game of Welcome to the Dungeon. I'd watched the Shut Up & Sit Down review previously but it never made it quite clear about WHAT you do in it.

Turns out it's super simple and a whole bunch of fun!

I was finally able to retrieve the Dark Souls boardgame from the shipping location (my folk's place up north) and I sat down to play about half of one game in single player.

It's a good job I did - I'd hate to pull the game out with friends over and try and unpick how to play with impatient folks around.

Once you get everything set up though it is actually quite speedy. The party moves over a set of dungeon tiles and fights encounters with simple creatures. There's a lot of positioning details that are pleasingly strategic. You can do basic stuff on your turn risk-free, but you can do more on your turn by burning stamina, which comes out of your health pool and only slowly regenerates. So doing a lot on your turn can be very risky. I can see how it can get very strategic with the max four players.

After fighting encounters, getting loot and levelling up, you can go fight the miniboss. They're not too tough but are memorable fights. They run off of small AI decks so you can learn their patterns and beat them intelligently.

Afterwards you do the entire game again with the same characters, facing tougher encounters and the final boss, who is far harder.

I think the game clocks in at about two hours.

What's really great about the game is the minis. They're not mindblowing, but if you're a Souls fan it's cool to have solid sculpts of classic bosses like O&S. I can see DnD DMs also looking at many of the minis and thinking of throwing them into their next dungeon.

On the downside, this is a game with a lot of cardboard being thrown around - and I did notice one of the dungeon tiles already having the paper and board peeling away. That kinda sucks.

Overall it's a cool game. I am looking forward to the remaining Kickstarter rewards in the coming months, and throwing the game down on board game nights for fun co-opping.

It also encourages me to check out other co-operative dungeon crawling games. It's fun to have something DnD-ish to play with friends who you'd never convince to roll up their own character.

Lupercal

Banned
Did you find the game repetitive ?
That's what our group felt, a lot of grind for a boss fight.
Boss fights are great in this game but everything before that is kinda meh.

Sober

Just played my first game of Welcome to the Dungeon. I'd watched the Shut Up & Sit Down review previously but it never made it quite clear about WHAT you do in it.

Turns out it's super simple and a whole bunch of fun!
It takes a round or two to maybe figure out the auction mechanics but it is fun. Tempted to get the expansion as well.

Yo, just popping in to say Last Friday was just as disappointing as everyone in here was telling me it was. The pacing seemed just kind of bizarre and it seems really difficult to accomplish much as the killer considering you go on the run so early.

Yo, just popping in to say Last Friday was just as disappointing as everyone in here was telling me it was. The pacing seemed just kind of bizarre and it seems really difficult to accomplish much as the killer considering you go on the run so early.

I haven't tried it yet, but someone posted a good house rule, where the chapters the killer is being hunted, allow the killer to kill counselors when he moves, and the counselors kill when they move. This way both sides have a fighting chance

zulux21

Please post your thaughts. I want to know input from a new person to the game.
DAMN IT WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS MEAN HOW THE HELL DOES THIS WORK AM I DOING THIS RIGHT NO... DAMN IT... WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING....

I think this might be... nope not clicking... wtf do I do now...

eh...

was okay.

didn't help the first time I played it one of the players kept wandering away from the table for 5-10 minutes at a time.

Sliver

I bought way too much this summer:

Pandemic Legacy
Burgle Bros.
Suburbia
Caverna
Ticket to Ride: Europe

And Im not even done yet. Really want to get Cosmic Encounter based all on the fun I've had playing it in Tabletop Simulator, but dunno how often I could get the numbers for a decent game. Expensive start to a hobby, and it's all my fault.

zulux21

Robinson Crusoe finally arrived.

The rules seem quite finnicky and there is a bit to remember. Looking forward to playing it over the weekend.

it much like mage knight is a huge pain to learn

once you get going it gets easier and makes more sense, but you will still likely get to the end of your first few games and realize you screwed something up.

Experien

I haven't tried it yet, but someone posted a good house rule, where the chapters the killer is being hunted, allow the killer to kill counselors when he moves, and the counselors kill when they move. This way both sides have a fighting chance

would be interesting to try it that way but it is still such a long game and I already gave it up.

Going through my mass drop of the mega man nt warrior tcg, my first pick up of a dead tcg. Only opened the first set so far and I was lucky enough to get 2 of every net navi which was what I was most worried about.

UCBooties

Finally got my shipping notification for Beneath Nexus. They had sourcing and production issues which seem to happen with every Kickstarter I've ever paid attention to.

I'll try to post a full play-test review once I receive it.

Argent the Consortium 2nd edition is going up on kickstarter tomorrow. Anyone play the original a lot of the reviews for it were positive that I saw.

EYEL1NER

Argent the Consortium 2nd edition is going up on kickstarter tomorrow. Anyone play the original a lot of the reviews for it were positive that I saw.
I might go ahead and back it depending on price. I'll go back and look at the only Kickstarter, which I believe ran right before I got into tabletop gaming. EDIT: Oh, just saw the email from L99 about it. Viewed the KS preview and its $100 for everything, and the new edition is upgraded over the old one? I'm in then. Now I don't feel so bad about passing up copies of the first game, expansion, and promos for $70~ a couple times.

I've got a big order that I am trying hard not to pull the trigger on:
-X-Wing Scurrg expansion
-X-Wing TIE Aggressor expansion x2
-X-Wing Auzituck expansion
-Kingdomino
-Letters from Whitechapel
-Three Kingdoms Redux
I'll probably place the order by night's end though.

Just saw that the new version of Walk the Plank that had a Kickstarter is shipping soon, it just arrived in the US. I need to pick up Get Bit quick then so that way I have them both.

Keasar

I still havent played my copy of Argent yet, but I know that when I was reading the rulebook I got that lovely sensation of the mind boggling at the gameplay possibilities. The sense that the rules come together nicely and there is a lot to do, maybe a bit overwhelming for anyone new to worker placement games but definetly a great step up from other games I have played in the category.

I am definetly putting in my money for the upgrade pack.

My copy of Tiny Epic Quest (deluxe) arrived today. Sucks I had to skip game night for school stuff gonna bring it next week to see if I can get it played.

Finally released a big order on hold at Miniature Market. Getting all of the first cycle of Arkham Horror LCG. Still need to finish the base game. :(

zeeaykay

Anyone here play The Dragon & Flagon? I ordered, then canceled, then re-ordered the final copy on Amazon for $35. Every other review I read was either pretty glowing or pretty down on the game, but the discount ended up putting it over the tip for me.

It's unfortunate that, from what I can tell, the board and 3D pieces look amazing but the card illustrations are lackluster if not poor enough to affect the game.

Blizzard

Banned
My copy of Tiny Epic Quest (deluxe) arrived today. Sucks I had to skip game night for school stuff gonna bring it next week to see if I can get it played.
I didn't realize it was shipping already, awesome. Hopefully I'm early in the queue.

Also thanks for the heads up about Argent. It looks neat, but my only concerns are:
  • No solo mode (I see a dummy player unofficial variant though)
  • Is it super mean where one player can get hopelessly behind because someone played a nasty card? Some people get their feelings hurt and I tend to prefer lower-conflict games, though I do like me some 7 Wonders Duel.

It's a fun worker placement game that is at its best when everyone really knows what they're doing. It can be a little complex and like most level 99 games, there's probably too many options, but there are always interesting things to do on your turn.

I think the expansion is totally pointless, though. It adds even more complexity that just isn't needed.

Blizzard

Banned
It's a fun worker placement game that is at its best when everyone really knows what they're doing. It can be a little complex and like most level 99 games, there's probably too many options, but there are always interesting things to do on your turn.

I think the expansion is totally pointless, though. It adds even more complexity that just isn't needed.
Just to make sure, you're talking about the 'Mancers of the University expansion, correct?

Just to make sure, you're talking about the 'Mancers of the University expansion, correct?
Yes but all of the mini addons like summer break are also not worth it. There is so much game in the base game and so much variability and complexity to begin with, that every little thing added to it actually hurts the game, imo.

Blizzard

Banned
Yes but all of the mini addons like summer break are also not worth it. There is so much game in the base game and so much variability and complexity to begin with, that every little thing added to it actually hurts the game, imo.
If I pledge it'll just be the $60 level that includes the base game then. You can't opt out of the new festival of masks mini-expansion.

Dreavus

Also, I would plan on playing with 3 or 4 players for Argent. 5 is just too many and the game takes forever; I've done it a few times now, both against my better judgement (usually last-second joiners). 'Mancers even pushes it to 6 players IIRC, but there is zero chance I would ever play that many, the game is too huge. There is very little time scaling, so each additional player increases the round length pretty significantly.

I have 'Mancers from the first kickstarter and haven't even opened it TBH. There is so much in the base game it's just not necessary right away.

Top Bottom