• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I went to a 7-year old's CoD themed b-day party

Mechazawa

Yeah, that's.

That's pretty fucked.

If you want to give your kid a game with a guns and explosions tone, there's almost certainly better alternatives.

Cynn

I was a child of the 80's and 90's so I had Robocop cakes, Freddy Krueger cakes and even a Terminator one.

There's a lot of precious little snowflakes these days It seems.

Telling other parents how to parent is a good way to earn a well deserved "fuck off".

I find this kind of attitude really weird. I want to do the best for my kids and if other people think I'm doing it wrong, or could do something different, I'd at least listen and quite possibly change what I'm doing.

The "I'm the parent and I know best" attitude is really dangerous IMHO.

Ramirez

ITT people act like they weren't watching/playing stuff they shouldn't have been as a kid. It's the parents decision, leave it at that.

Incredibly inappropriate for the age. I encourage gaming with my children but 14-15 years old AT LEAST to play a game like COD. I cannot imagine what desensitizing a seven year old to violence will lead to in later years...

Aurongel

I've been to more than a few birthday parties where kids have gun themed cakes. Grew up with a lot of those when I used to live in a rural area. It's tasteless and kinda lousy parenting but it's also not your problem so just move on from it.

Kids do indeed play video games like COD nowadays, so what's the big deal? It's a video game, no way at all a representation of real life.

Afrodium

Banned
Yeah, military fetishism as a theme for a 7-year olds party is kinda weird. CoD doesn't really have characters or icons you would decorate and theme around, so the only real theme you could pull from it for decorations are guns and war.

I find this kind of attitude really weird. I want to do the best for my kids and if other people think I'm doing it wrong, or could do something different, I'd at least listen and quite possibly change what I'm doing.

The "I'm the parent and I know best" attitude is really dangerous IMHO.

Yep...... Completely agree. Wish someone was able to give some sound advice to my mother and father. I would be 10x better off if someone did.

I am with you OP. I would be legit creeped by that.

If you made that kind of stuff in another non-American country people would react the same way as us.

As videogame visuals get more and more realistic, not only in visual fidelity but also animation it becomes more and more fucked up to let children play these extremely graphic M rated games.

The Lamp

No pic of cake? Cmon OP get it together

It's pretty much exactly like this but with a giant kiddish 7 candle on it

7ebc6e0e7fc2ca6c7af1f5d6aa5129a3--zombie-birthday-boys-th-birthday-cake.jpg

Elandyll

Banned
Parent of 2 boys (6 and 8) who would love nothing else but to play Cod and Doom.

The hell with that, kids that young should not be exposed to that level of violence.

So no, definitely not appropriate.

drotahorror

I mean, I was playing the mortal kombat games when I was 7 or 8 just like all the other kids I know. Don't really see anything wrong with it. But now that I think about it, kids were smarter back then.

Seriously? There is nothing wrong with a kid playing a M rated game especially if there's a parent there putting it in context for them. If it's cool with the kids parents it shouldn't bother you. The rest isn't your business.

I remember being that age and my mother walking in as I was proformig a fatality in Mortal Kombat. She asked why I did that and I replied with because he deserved it and that was the end of that.

kirblar

Yeah, military fetishism as a theme for a 7-year olds party is kinda weird. CoD doesn't really have characters or icons you would decorate and theme around, so the only real theme you could pull from it for decorations are guns and war.
If it was something like G.I. Joe (back in an era where that was a thing) it'd be fine, but CoD is...not a kids game.

Stuff like Splatoon/OW is right there and able to fill that kind of gaming void too nowadays, which makes this frustrating.

Seriously? There is nothing wrong with a kid playing a M rated game especially if there's a parent there putting it in context for them. If it's cool with the kids parents it shouldn't bother you. The rest isn't your business.
Don't know if a seven year old would understand that. While not play The Witcher 3 and Mass Effect while you are at it?
Blame the decline and almost complete fall of games for kids outside of Nintendo hardware.

Shit's tragic when you think about it.
There are tons of games a kid could play that is not on a Nintendo platform.

I mean, I was playing the mortal kombat games when I was 7 or 8 just like all the other kids I know. Don't really see anything wrong with it. But now that I think about it, kids were smarter back then.

I mean, I played MK at around the same age, but back then the graphics weren't very realistic at all. When I played it I thought it looked pretty goofy. Nothing like punching 3 skulls out of someone.

Amen.

And I had the magazines with the full move lists.
Loved it.

And normal kid will be fine.

I mean, I played MK at around the same age, but back then the graphics weren't very realistic at all. When I played it I thought it looked pretty goofy. Nothing like punching 3 skulls out of someone.

Those graphics were cutting edge, hyper realistic, Christ they are people, and caused senators in the US and the media in the UK to freak out.

And the playgrounds to love it.

Don't know if a seven year old would understand that. While not play The Witcher 3 and Mass Effect while you are at it?

So you want to parent them all or judge those who don't align with what you believe is ok for a 7 year old child?

I can't remember my age but I was playing the Grand theft auto's, Shin Megami Tensei, and other M rated titles. I never had that restriction. If it's not your kid it's not you're concern.

I'm an exception and not the rule. I've been exposed to much worse then a lol M rated game from my earliest memory.

Kids do indeed play video games like COD nowadays, so what's the big deal? It's a video game, no way at all a representation of real life.
You expect an impressionable, developing mind to be able to fully accept that concept? Especially when the parents are actively taking elements from the game, such as guns and grenades, and integrating them into their daily life through toys and edibles. It's not the games fault, it's the parents who are normalizing violence that cause concern.

Your opinion sucks and anyone else's that thinks they should overly filter what kids play. Do whatever you feel with your kid, but imo real life circumstances can effect kids, not a freaking video game which is far off from reality.
Oh, didn't know only real life stuff is affecting us. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The only issue is if they're letting him play online with a mic. Save me from that hell.

wanders

I was a child of the 80's and 90's so I had Robocop cakes, Freddy Krueger cakes and even a Terminator one.

There's a lot of precious little snowflakes these days It seems.
Wtf this way different than the situation here. Did you have Freddy Kreuger themed birthday party?

Afrodium

Banned
Your opinion sucks and anyone else's that thinks they should overly filter what kids play. Do whatever you feel is right with your kid, but imo real life circumstances can effect kids, not a freaking video game which is far off from reality.

Adult males join the military thinking it will be like CoD.

Top Bottom