• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protagonists with disabilities

I’m not gonna say he isn’t affected since you the player aren’t for gameplay reasons, I’d have to say in universe Big Boss misses that eye and is at least somewhat worse off for it. I brought up finishing MGSV because (spoilers for the end follow)
Big Boss never even loses a limb it’s venom snake that does
The strengths and weaknesses of a character should naturally affect how the player interacts with the game. Gameplay and story are not completely separated for no good reason. Old Snake doesn't have a disability, but his old age and the wear and tear on his body actually did have an effect on how you played the game. Rolling for example might not execute properly due to snake's bad back. It wasn't major, but it was enough to give you the good impression that you were playing an old character who was on the verge of death.

Big Boss losing his eye and arm feel like just cosmetic choices. BB can aim just fine without is eye and he does the same soldier stuff as before with the bionic arm. The new arm gives him a ton of advantages as well. I don't think the games ever bring up Big Boss and his missing eye after the fact, so we don't know how he feels about it. He seems fine without it honestly. MGSV at least brings up the feeling of loss when BB loses his arm. It feels a bit hollow though considering he isn't put at a disadvantage in how he operates on the field.

Venom Snake/Big Boss share the same title. Yes, they're technically different characters, but when I say that Big Boss losses a limb, people know that I'm talking about the BB from MGSV. I find it preferable just to say Big Boss so I don't have to spoiler tag stuff.

STI

From X-Men: Mutant Academy 2.

gFxq0Hs.gif

WTF LOL

Christhor

In the original Drakengard all of the characters lost something in exchange for making a pact with some kind of creature. The main character loses his voice and becomes mute, another guy becomes blind and the final two party members lose their fertility and ability to age (as a six year old boy), respectively. The latter two are a bit debatable, but the former two are definitely disabilities.

Drakengard is a pretty cool game.

Ward Zabac from Final Fantasy VIII -
Mute
Y6vYjbEl.jpg

Beatrix from Final Fantasy IX -
One-eyed
9ljAsw8.png

Ignis Scientia from Final Fantasy XV -
Blind
9SE3GZ4.png

PSqueak

Banned
Duster from Mother 3 has some sort of unspecified problem with his left leg which causes him to constantly limp when moving. However aside from that, he's able to move fairly normally, still able to run and kick.

Was gonna post this, despite his bad leg he's a badass, specially when you realize his basic attack is kicking and he has a special skill where he back flips into a special kick to prevent enemies from gaining initiative by striking from behind you.

Fbh

Ignis Scientia from Final Fantasy XV -
Blind
9SE3GZ4.png

Ignis is a pretty good example.
I know a lot of people were annoyed by the level where you have to guide him and he is holding the whole group back and slowing down the pacing.
But I liked how it incorporates the fact that he is blind now into the gameplay. Unlike 99.9% of other "blind" videogame characters that are only realky blind in the lore but they act and play as any other character.

R3birthFl4me

Neo Member
I know some people here dislike FFXV but the animations created for Ignis because of his disability was some of the best things I've seen in videogames. It is one of the reasons I liked FFXV despite some of it's problems.

Top Bottom