• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I watched Akira for the first time and I dont get the love for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrus

It was OK. The animation was nice except for the way people were drawn. Hated the way they looked. Some nice action scenes. Soundtrack was bad ( DUN DUN DUN!). Story was meh. Characters were meh. This movie is considered one of the best anime films ever. I honestly don't get the love for it and I don't understand why Hollywood wants to make a live action film. Am I missing something Gaf or is it 2deep4me?

entremet

The appeal comes from the insane production values.

It still looks amazing to this day and it's close to 30 years old.

The plot is garbage and confusing. And the characters aren't really likable or interesting.

The manga is better.

Ashby

I never got it either. I maintain it was never good. And I'm going to pre-empt the "you had to be there" people. I can still go back and watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam from the 70s and enjoy it just fine.

Pickman

It was a lot of people's "first anime" in the late 80s/early 90s and it has a lot of nostalgia tied to it for that reason. It's a cash grab in the major body of moviegoers these days.

It really was impressive for the time (1988) but hasn't aged super well.

That soundtrack, tho. :O

Guzim

It was OK. The animation was nice except for the way people were drawn. Hated the way they looked. Some nice action scenes. Soundtrack was bad ( DUN DUN DUN!). Story was meh. Characters were meh. This movie is considered one of the best anime films ever. I honestly don't get the love for it and I don't understand why Hollywood wants to make a live action film. Am I missing something Gaf or is it 2deep4me?

For many people, Akira was their introduction to anime so it means a lot to people. I personally like it a lot, but I don't fault you for thinking it was only okay.

It's a super super super condensed version of only parts of the manga storyline, so hence the plot is kind of a big WUT. I definitely don't agree with you on the music, though. The soundtrack is pretty iconic.

What Guzim said is true for me. It was the first anime I saw that I knew was anime and introduced me to the medium properly.

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUU!! the movie is straight up trash, i honestly don't get why people go so hard for it. the plot is a fucking mess and theres not a single likable character. the only nice thing about it is its animation and the second you make it live action it loses the only nice thing about it.

bigkrev

Same reaction I had even I saw it for the first time in 2005. Its very pretty to look at, but the plot is terrible.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its a visual feast and I happen to think the soundtrack is pretty damn good and fits it all very well. Akira's affect is felt more in everything it influenced at this point.

LProtag

The manga has a way better story.

It's still a really good film. The themes aren't quite as pronounced, I guess.

I loved Akira. I loved the scope, the visuals, the story, the characters. I thought the motorcycle bits were very unnecessary, though.

When I saw it, I was like "oh wow this is just like Chronicle... but better!" and I LOVED Chronicle so I was a very happy camper C:

Spoo

I don't think it's all that deep or anything, but I do think it's kind of a masterpiece of hand-drawn animation and incredible scope for what it fits into it 2+ hour running time. It goes from being just a crazy biker/buddy story, to a political war movie, to a psychological thriller, to an apocalyptic monster movie, and it does all of this without feeling like it never knows exactly what it wants to be.

Did I mention the animation is fucking amazing?

entremet

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUU!! the movie is straight up trash, i honestly don't get why people go so hard for it. the plot is a fucking mess and theres not a single likable character. the only nice thing about it is its animation and the second you make it live action it loses the only nice thing about it.

We're also way more sophisticated viewers these days. Not just because we have more discerning tastes due to age and exposure to better art, but because storytelling in visual mediums has gotten way better.

lol the animation is "nice." Say what you will about the actual plot and characters, but the animation is not just "nice." It's fucking phenomenal.

Bronx-Man

Banned
If you can't understand why people adore the animation for Akira, I'm not sure any of us can convince.

That said, the characters are decent at best but I love the story behind it. The failures of a government locked in war causes society to collapse, leading to young minorities having to form gangs as the closest things they can have as families in this wasteland? That's more relevant than ever in 2017.

E-flux

The visual direction alone is a reason for it to be in the top Anime movies, the soundtrack might not be for everybody but it is still very well made. I can't say lot for a story since it has been so many years since i have seen Akira but i know that it was based on a much longer manga which is why i didn't really enjoy the pacing of the movie.

It's still great though.

I think it's fucking rad.

The problem with the movie is that the manga is way bigger than the allotted time could support. Simply watching it leaves a lot of plot holes that are left enigmas. I treat it as a
'Best Of' kind of clip compilation.

Daingurse

I love it because it's a beautiful piece of animation. A visual spectacle, if you will. I love the look of the film, and get alot of enjoyment simply watching it. The story is a bit of a mess, because there was no way to adapt the whole narrative into a single animated feature. After reading the manga, everything became a alot more clear.

Mael

Did someone say that the manga is better?
Because it is, the anime is a gorgeous distraction.
Kinda like Valley of the wind, the manga is a work of art

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It isn't too deep for you. The story is like a greatest hits album. The manga ran for almost a decade and then they tried condensing it into a 2 hour movie. The manga is definitely worth picking up though.

The love comes from how great it looked at the time (still does) and it being an anime with a good amount of exposure at a time when that really wasn't a thing in the US.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Felt the same. But i still watch it on my blu ray because the animation, art design, and music are 10/10. The plot is pretty out there and doesnt really explain much , the characters are pretty good though even if everyone is pretty much a douche except for the main girl.

It's very pretty to watch.

At least until the end. I never liked watching it to it's conclusion.

Anything with the motorcycles is dope AF though.

tumblr_ncw8ptniCl1sqr7kvo1_500.gif

rackham

Banned
I like the plot. It's not typical and it ramps up pretty nicely.

I also like the soundtrack and the visuals. Definite greatest of all time anime movies.

It's also one of the only two anime movies I own on bluray, with the other being Nausicaa. Gonna add Princess Mononoke to that list soon.
tumblr_mhv7l5UuyT1s1u1nxo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

rashbeep

Banned
I feel the same. My friend showed it to me who raves about it, I was pretty underwhelmed. I've seen other recommendations from him in the past which were great, so I feel like I'm missing something with Akira.

Betty

Banned
The animation is what set's it apart, you couldn't believe people drew this thing.

Maybe it was more mindblowing back in the day.

entremet

What do all of you people find confusing about the plot?

I haven't seen it ages. Last time I saw it was the theatrical release in the US. Sometime in 2001, with the new dub.

I just found it hard to follow. There's no cohesive consistent narrative and the setting changes too frequently.

It really felt like the manga literally cut to pieces to make a film.

Skinpop

We're also way more sophisticated viewers these days. Not just because we have more discerning tastes due to age and exposure to better art, but because storytelling in visual mediums has gotten way better.
Yeah just look at Marvel movies. Compare with old shits like bergman, ozu, kubrick and tarkovsky. Those unrefined amateurs.

Betty

Banned
The animation is what set's it apart, you can't believe people drew this thing.

Maybe it was more mindblowing back in the day.

20130124_c242df83e112c56ea1eaPfd9EqYBuyzQ.gif

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The animation is fantastic.

I have never had the urge to watch it a second time.

It took me a few viewings before I warmed up to it. It's a visual feast and I love the mood of Neo-Tokyo. It's very much an audiovisual experience for me rather than an actual narrative to follow. Same thing with films like Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell, actually. I used to vastly prefer the manga but now it's the other way around. One of my favorite films but not for everyone.

Edit: and I'll also add that it's not a nostalgia thing for me. I read the manga as a teen but saw the movie much later and didn't like it that much at first.

Soundtrack was bad

No.

I feel the same with Princess Mononoke.

BURN THE WITCH!!!

entremet

Yeah just look at Marvel movies. Compare with old shit like bergman, ozu, kubrick and tarkovsky. Those unrefined amateurs.

There was a lot shit back then too. It's just forgotten.

But meant more TV. Incidentally, TV is a big influence on Marvel movies with their universe conceit.

norm9

I'm not saying you should eat or smoke some drugs before watching it, but that second half...oh boy. *jonstewart.gif*

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I think I might have watched this about 100 times. I loved the neo Tokyo setting from the get go. The characters are ok. It's more about the atmosphere for me.

I haven't seen it ages. Last time I saw it was the theatrical release in the US. Sometime in 2001, with the new dub.

I just found it hard to follow. There's no cohesive consistent narrative and the setting changes too frequently.

It really felt like the manga literally cut to pieces to make a film.
Two friends, one is insecure.
Friends encounter psychic kid, stolen by anti government people.
Govt recaptures that kid, the insecure friend is taken and has his own psychic powers unlocked.
Insecure kid goes crazy with his power, friend of kid tries to stop him.

Step four: Profit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom