• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Batman - The Telltale Series - The long dark knight of mediocrity

Ok, so since it was on sale, I decided to finally pick up the first season of the Telltale Batman series on Steam. The last Telltale game I played was Game of Thrones and after five episodes, I was so annoyed that I haven't picked up a Telltale game since. I am a HUGE fan of their early work, and I did love Walking Dead Season 1, and also really adored The Wolf Among Us. I'd been hesitant to pick up Batman because, well, Game of Thrones was just that bad, and I didn't want to see them screw up another favorite property of mine.

Thankfully, they didn't. Well, they mostly didn't.

Some of Batman was GREAT, much of it was ok, and far more than I would like was pretty awful.

The Good:
The Voice Acting - Troy Baker does a great job as Bruce, and the rest of the cast has some great performances as well. I thought Sully as Falcone was perfect. Props also go out to the VA for Harvey, I really felt for the guy.

The Design - I liked the design of the Batmobile and all of the bat gadgets. The Batcave looked really good as well. Outside of the penguin, the character designs were pretty solid overall as well.

Bruce Wayne - This is the first Batman game that puts a very sharp focus on Bruce as a character, and that isn't something you actually get to see all that often, even in the comics. I liked the feeling that Bruce was in over his head, still trying to figure out how to act when he's without the cowl, and you can see his vulnerability inside the cowl as well. It's rare to see a version of Bruce that is this visibly scarred by his trauma. I just wish that the story beats they used to show it worked better for me.

Catwoman - This is probably one of the better takes on a romance between Bruce and Selina, At least in my version, Bruce was dealing with falling for someone he knows he shouldn't while Selina is doing everything she can to distance herself from him. It's one of the bits of the game where choices actually seem to matter, as there are lots of different ways that these conversations can go. Bruce telling her that he beleives she's a good person, and her reaction to that were some of the best parts.

The OK:
The Story - While I do like early Batman stories, it's becoming tougher and tougher to do new things with them. I mean, how many times do we need to see the birth of Two-Face? Or Batman gaining trust with a suspicious James Gordon, or the fall of Falcone. That being said, the story was competently told, and good attempt was made on a major twist, even if it wasn't to my taste at all times. I especially am not a fan of the whole Dark Past of the Waynes story, or the idea that it wasn't a random mugging that killed Thomas and Martha. Turning Thomas Wayne into a villain was a bold move I suppose, but it just never feels right.

Then there is the whole concept of the Children of Arkham. Penguin worked well enough in the role of revolutionary, but I do think that Lady Arkham fell flat. I'll get more on that in the bad section.

The Choices - Telltale games are all about the choices, and for a lot of the game, mainly the smaller choices, I think it worked well. Choosing whether or not to go into a scene as Batman or Bruce was pretty cool, though I have doubts about how much effect that would have on the plot. Some of the choices, the big moral ones, feel a little flat, or one sided. The majority of the choices, when looking at them at the end of each episode are extremely weighted in one direction or another, with many of them topping 90% of players choosing one over another. So, while some were great, too many seemed easy.

Harvey Dent - This could have been great. I really liked the friendship between Harvey and Bruce, and I thought it was handled very well early in the series. Where things went wrong though, is in the horrible implementation of choices you make that involve Harvey. The main one is the choice in Episode 2, of saving either him or Selina. Not only is the choice itself pretty obvious, Harvey is in absolute immediate danger, while Selina could reasonably survive her encounter, but saving Harvey breaks the story. Harvey's descent into madness is actually handled well, until the point that he's suddenly Two-Face, is called Two-Face on TV and in the in game subtitles, and is suddenly unleashing a reign of terror in the city. None of this would bother me, if at some point even after being saved he scarred himself, or got scarred another way. But it doesn't happen. He goes through the Two-Face transformation without the inciting incident that drives him mad.

I also didn't buy his being that into Selina when they clearly hadn't been dating for long. But that's small potatoes.

Alfred - Alfred would be great if it wasn't for his constant speechifying and laying out what each and every choice will mean. He becomes captain exposition, and he STILL doesn't come clean about the Waynes,

The Awful:

The Presentation - It sucks, the camera angles are alright, but the stuttering, the freezing characters, and the horrible textures just make it look awful. The Telltale engine needs to be retired. No engine this primitive should run this badly. As such, I never really felt the tension of many scenes, because of performance issues.

Reactivity, or lack thereof - Too many of the choices in this game mean jack and shit, and while it's not as bad as Game of Thrones, it's still pretty bad. Certain choices if they are made harm the story immensely. But even worse than that is when the game doesn't even make sense of the choices you made. I was suspicious, but on good terms with Ozwald early on, but he acted like we'd gotten into it in the park. Harvey apparently burned Wayne Manor to the ground, but it was in perfect shape the next episode. I apparently gave Montoya's name to Vicki Vale, even though I never did. And that's just a few. In smaller situations, like in Arkham, the reactivity was actually pretty good, but overall it was disappointing.

QTEs - The feedback on the QTEs is awful. Half the time I'm not sure if I succeeded or failed, and many times, failure doesn't matter because the same animation will play. Sometimes a failure is bad, but most times it means absolutely nothing. Shenmue 1 is nearly 20 years old, and it has better feedback and different animations when dealing with a QTE. It's awful, and when so much of the gameplay is QTE, it's a real problem. Worst QTEs I have seen in a long time.

Lack of exploration - The environments are tiny, and never bigger than one room for any one event. It would have been cool to have to piece together clues across an entire environment, as opposed to something 10 feet away. Disappointing.

Lady Arkham - For the introduction of a new villain, one who is an evil version of a classic character, they did jack and shit with it. Ok, so Vicki has worked for the Gazette for years, and is planning a revolution, ok sure. How the hell did she get so good with a staff that she is able to take on Bruce? The tech helps, but she's a damned ninja! Where and how did that happen? Also, her motivation was weak as hell. We needed a scene where she talked about her past BEFORE she is revealed. I mean, this is Vicki Vale, Bruce's first canonical lady friend, if you're going to make her evil she deserves better than she got in this. I think it might have been smarter to Phantasm her up a bit, have a possible relationship with Bruce, which would set up a triangle with Selina, and give an opportunity to get to know her more before she is the villain. As it is though, her arc SUCKS.

So yeah, it was fun, but I'm glad I didn't pay more than $6.25 for it. At full price, waiting for each episode I think I would have been a lot less forgiving. And again, the jank in this game is unforgivable at this point. I don't understand how Telltale is getting worse over time with this stuff.

I enjoyed Batman probably more than any other TT series since Borderlands. The awesome subversions of classic Batman expectations, combined with the option to approach many situations with either Bruce Wayne or Batman, made it a pretty cool experience, albeit one that hit its stride around Episode 3 and didn't quite end up sticking the landing with Episode 5.

Meowster

I liked how I could just have a platonic relationship with Selina in it and we could just be great friends but Harvey was so delusional and kept insisting we were an item and that I betrayed him. 😔 Overall though, I really liked it. The worst thing about was the jankiness. I kinda liked Lady Arkham but I think they had the groundwork to develop something awesome with her and didn't quite follow up.

LiK

I absolutely loved the story and twists. I liked their version of Penguin as well. I'm excited for the follow-up but I'll wait for a sale cuz Telltale sales are inevitable.

Jinroh

My favorite Telletale game by far with Borderlands. In comparison GoT and TWD were utterly boring. The Woflf Among Us was great but at small doses.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finished it myself on PS4 about two weeks ago. Disagree with a lot of what the OP wrote outside of the villain reveal and final episodes falling flat in a few areas. I still enjoyed the twists and the risk of subverting sacred cows in the franchise to adopt a signature take on the origin story and villains.

Possibly had good luck, but never had a QTE issue, and outside the antiquated engine, I felt the use of certain shader tricks and shadows worked really well to give the game a unique look beyond other Telltale series(similarly I also really liked GoT paintstroke texturing). The settings looked great and the coloring and mood were quite nice despite stretching this dated engine.

I get being disappointed that some major decisions funneled into a single result, but still enjoyed the thoughtful tension of making those tough choices before the result upended it all. Overall I quite enjoyed it and look forward to the second season when the full episode run is out.

I love the art style and voice acting of Telltale Batman but found the villains and narrative to be really disappointing. And the technical issues were embarrassing. I'll check out season 2 when it's on sale.

adj_noun

Harvey Dent - This could have been great. I really liked the friendship between Harvey and Bruce, and I thought it was handled very well early in the series. Where things went wrong though, is in the horrible implementation of choices you make that involve Harvey. The main one is the choice in Episode 2, of saving either him or Selina. Not only is the choice itself pretty obvious, Harvey is in absolute immediate danger, while Selina could reasonably survive her encounter, but saving Harvey breaks the story. Harvey's descent into madness is actually handled well, until the point that he's suddenly Two-Face, is called Two-Face on TV and in the in game subtitles, and is suddenly unleashing a reign of terror in the city.

Don't get me started on the terrifying criminal One-Face.

That was the last time Telltale actually had me thinking I could affect the outcome. I genuinely thought they were doing a "you can actually stop Harvey from turning" deal.

Nope! One-Face.

That was the last time Telltale actually had me thinking I could affect the outcome. I genuinely thought they were doing a "you can actually stop Harvey from turning" deal.

Nope! One-Face.

This shit pissed me off so much. I did everything I could to help out Harvey and he still ends up hating you in the end.

I'd imagine it would be really complicated for Telltale to implement a really thorough branching plot where you can actually make meaningful decisions but if they could pull that off in any one of their releases it would be amazing.

Finished it myself on PS4 about two weeks ago. Disagree with a lot of what the OP wrote outside of the villain reveal and final episodes falling flat in a few areas. I still enjoyed the twists and the risk of subverting sacred cows in the franchise to adopt a signature take on the origin story and villains.

Possibly had good luck, but never had a QTE issue, and outside the antiquated engine, I felt the use of certain shader tricks and shadows worked really well to give the game a unique look beyond other Telltale series(similarly I also really liked GoT paintstroke texturing). The settings looked great and the coloring and mood were quite nice despite stretching this dated engine.

I get being disappointed that some major decisions funneled into a single result, but still enjoyed the thoughtful tension of making those tough choices before the result upended it all. Overall I quite enjoyed it and look forward to the second season when the full episode run is out.

It's not even so much that they funnel to a single result if the journey at least feels different. Telltale has done that before. But the Two-Face choice doesn't work either way. If you save him, he becomes evil, and acts just like the canon Two-Face, and if you don't the whole arc of him running around as a disfigured Mayor falls flat.

Beyond that though, it's also stuff like the mysteriously unburnt Wayne Manor, the lack of real interaction with Oz, and a disconnect with the choices you make and the outcomes of the story that got me.

I love the art style and voice acting of Telltale Batman but found the villains and narrative to be really disappointing. And the technical issues were embarrassing. I'll check out season 2 when it's on sale.

Yeah, I also think that they try WAY too hard to edge things up or add consequences. Bruce sans ear looks silly, and could be pretty easily fixed via rhinoplasty.

Nope! One-Face.

For me, I never realized that that was the Two-Face moment early on, then as the game went on, I kept expecting a change to happen, but nope, we get Two-Face with One-Face. Dumb as hell. It's a shame because I liked the descent into madness, it just needed a final capped off moment, but no such luck.

Have the technical glitches been fixed for this game as yet? It's been on my steam wishlist for ages but I always hear about how poorly the game runs on various platforms.

jholmes

Nope! One-Face.

Holy fuck is this serious?

There's any Telltale game that really worth your time?
Walking Dead Season 1 and Tales from the Borderlands are fantastic. Wolf Among Us is good, but it has problems as it goes along. When it comes to their classic style adventure games Sam and Max and Strong Bad are real good and while its gameplay is kind of mediocre the Back to the Future game got the spirit of the series down perfectly.

Have the technical glitches been fixed for this game as yet? It's been on my steam wishlist for ages but I always hear about how poorly the game runs on various platforms.

Not on PC, the game runs like ass. It's playable, but there is still tons of stuttering, lack of lip movement at times, and one time I was stuck in a loading screen for about 10 minutes before it moved on.

I've been watching team four star gaming's let's play of this and the story seems fun (though One Face is dumb) but it definitely doesn't feel like something worth buying personally. I will say though that their version of the Joker seems really really fun

SRTtoZ

Sorry to bump but I just ran through this thing in a day and I loved it until episode 4-5 where Vicki Vale was the antagonist. Its just completely unbelievable that she can match Batman in hand to hand combat and wielding the staff. Who the fuck wrote this shit? Jesus christ the game was so good until this happened. Episode 5 made me just mash buttons and hope to finish it. The only hope I have going forward is shes dead so maybe the game will get better again. Super frustrated by the way they went towards the end of Season 1. Grr.

Anyone tried the PC version with the new patch? Supposedly they went back and "fixed" a lot of the problems

The game ran fine for me with a 1070 but it hitches when a new scene is loading. Other than that it ran fine.

kaydigi

Season 2 hasn’t been on sale yet right? I enjoyed the first one and I think I missed a sale on this and Gaurdian of the Galaxy.

Dunki

So anyone else play this? Just finished episode 3 of Enemy within and so far its really really good Also dat cliffhanger why....

Also performance is pretty good so far. Yes sometimes it stocks for a a second while loading but otherwise its pretty smooth^^

Top Bottom