• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo Convinced You to Buy a Wii U Yet?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm not quite there but getting close. After the awful launch I had kind of written it off as being the first gen where I didn't own a Nintendo system but after today it seems like it has a steady stream of decent stuff. I'm just waiting for a price drop and to see if the support keeps up.

I told myself I'd be getting a Wii U once there's about 5 games I absolutely must have that are out. Monster Hunter pushed me close to the edge but everything I saw today from the Nintendo Direct show just made me want to get one even more.

Zombi U, NSMB U, Monster Hunter, Pikmin 3, W101, Yoshi, MonolithSoft game, Wind Waker remake, and the new 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash, and Zelda game releasing in the future just cements it. Still gonna wait on a price drop though, I hope they announce one at e3. If not, I'll probably just cop one in Q3 and a gang of games.

Daedardus

Sceptics remain sceptics. People have different tastes and I truly didn't believe this showing would convince people who left ages ago. But the Direct was clearly aimed at the core audience and they succeeded in it by showing some of the cool stuff they are working on. I'm more of a traditional RPG gamer and Sony still hasn't succeeded in convincing me to buy a PS3, although Ni No Kuni comes extremely close, so to each his own I guess.

But do I need to rush out and buy a Wii U now? No. But I will buy one eventually. If they can fulfill their promises (fix the system's speed, Miiverse on Phones, not waiting too long with new games) I will happily reward them for their effort. But as long as those things aren't here, they won't get my money.

I dont remember playing Uncharted on my PS2 but I remember playing Mario on my SNES. Im not complaining though just exposing your flawed argument.

I think you fail to see my point.

ALL console manufacturers and developers rehash games and ideas. Especially when profits are the result.

Kinda flawed to only call Nintendo on this.

No. I'm close to being close, but it needs a few more interesting titles (preferably third party) along with a good Metroid game to finalize the deal.

Going to wait to see what MS and Sony have to offer first. I'm not buying two consoles in one year.
Also, this. I'm not even sure I'm gonna join in on this generation of consoles, depending on what each company puts out. It's going to have to be something really impressive, since I already have a whole backlog of untouched Steam games waiting for me. I'm not going to spend hundreds to play a couple of games unless they're very important to me.

nah, people getting excited but it's a death rattle. durango and orbis get closer to unveiling by the second.

besides i really dont care too much for nintendo's software. at least not stuff like kirby yarn and a hd remake.

that said the games unveiled today look good.

Pistolero

Everything that was shown today was largely expected, imo. Interesting that Nintendo exhibited this salvo of first in-house titles so early...they must be feeling the heat. anyway, fans will be pleased to no ends. Those whose hearts feel almost nothing at the sight of Mario, Link and Yoshie won't be drawn like moths to the fire.
I stand somewhere in the middle...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I never needed convincing, just some frickin' games.

They're showing a slew of expected first party stuff right now, most of which won't be available for a loooong time, so there's no rush in buying one when I can wait for a price drop/bundle deal. Also, the third party situation is still a big issue and doesn't look promising.

Business

I always wanted to play Wind Waker so this may be the time. Together with the VC games on the pad, I think I may end up getting one. Not yet though.

Too much banking on HD ports in my opinion. A new system shouldn't have MH3HD and WWHD as highlights. Those are games that fill in the cracks.

I never played a monster hunter game and WW is the only console zelda game I haven't played. So for people like me, they're not ports, they're brand new games. Same happened with God of War on the PS3. I played some of GOW 1, but GOW 2 and the PSP titles were brand new games for me.

I haven't played Xenoblade or the Last Story, so I'm hoping those get HD ports as well.

Busaiku

I was gonna get it eventually, but I was just gonna wait a while for it.
I dunno if I'm gonna hold out much longer now.

PhaZZe

Banned
I never played a monster hunter game and WW is the only console zelda game I haven't played. So for people like me, they're not ports, they're brand new games. Same happened with God of War on the PS3. I played some of GOW 1, but GOW 2 and the PSP titles were brand new games for me.

I haven't played Xenoblade or the Last Story, so I'm hoping those get HD ports as well.

Me too, i never played before WW because never buyed a gamecube :(

ironcreed

Banned
I nearly did, but opted to wait. The launch looked pretty unimpressive, but I think things will smooth out as time rolls on. If they keep announcing exclusives like this new 'X' game from Monolith, then I will most definitely be picking one up sooner, rather than later.

was already planning on maybe buying one after a price cut (largely for rayman and bayonetta 2), but X and SMTxFE pretty much singlehandedly cemented that I'm definitely buying one

fake edit:
Absolutely not. I would consider buying one if it was 30 dollars or free just so I could sell it back to make a profit. I wouldn't even KEEP a wiiU or wii just because it would take up space and there's not even anything I want for it. The last first party nintendo game I cared about was super Metroid,and zelda a link to the past. And anything that's multi platform I'd buy for the 360. I'll buy a nintendo wiiU when they pay me to simply stick it in my closet to rot.

man this current batch of juniors is just a bunch of winners :lol

mace999

Neo Member
ahhh X has made me think about it ...... there is no other game that I want tho that's out right now .... maybe Zombie U .... oh and I want new Rayman so yeah maybe I'll get it in a couple of months

Krafter

Was thinking I would skip the WII U and go 3DS only for Nintendo goodness, but the X trailer sold me. I'm in. Will likely buy it for the family room next Christmas.

i31Z88wV5u6wd.gif

Yeah, I was buying a WiiU either way when Smash launched (with W101) but this Nintendo Direct just got me more hyped up. Now I'm picking like 4 or 5 games with it when it launches, heh.

Sean

Banned
Not yet.

I liked Wind Waker but I can't get super excited about the idea of playing a ten year old Gamecube port in HD. That's not a system seller for me. Plus they kinda admitted that the next "real" new Zelda is a while off.

Another Mario and Mario Kart also don't really excite me as of yet, it's to be expected as those titles get released on every Nintendo platform. If the next Mario is really amazing looking or innovative that might be enough to convince me, but I'm probably going to hold off until at least the first price drop.

MCD

I will get it eventually but come on, Xenoblade 2 will take a year for it to come out at least plus another year to localize.

By that time, shit will be cheap as fuck which is a good thing.

Keep in mind that the GoW collection came years after the PS3 launch among many great titles, including GoW3.

Dantis

They would have, had I not already got one.

Man, I can't imagine how mad I'd be if I'd sold it before the MegaTen announcement.

Close call.

Angry Fork

I'll be interested in it if they put out at least 3 of the following:

SM64 sequel (with exploration, secrets etc. and move away from the linear Galaxies)
Starfox 64 sequel
Open world Zelda or one that just changes the formula a bit, some kind of mix between the realistic feel of Shadow of the Colossus and child-like arcade Nintendo feel of the other Zelda's.
Donkey Kong 64 sequel, or just a 3D Donkey Kong game in general no side scrolling bs.
At least 2 or 3 completely new IPs that have the same kind of resources put to a Mario game. Preferably open world RPG and I'd love to see Nintendo try horror, something out of their comfort zone.

Right now I don't care about it at all.

Keep in mind that the GoW collection came years after the PS3 launch among many great titles, including GoW3.

Shit, I would have preferred if it was released at launch. My PS3 was so lonely the first year or so it was released. It's why I'm not buying any console until 12-18 months after launch, including the PS4. Unlike a lot of people on here, I don't think just the Wii U's launch was terrible; I think all console launches are terrible.

PaulLFC

Nope. Waiting to see what Sony and MS do, and it needs a price drop.

Also, the software updates - up to 6 months to fix the slow OS, really?

Hale-XF11

Nothing much has changed for me yet. I'll likely wait all the way up until the release of the next 3D Mario platformer before I even consider getting a Wii U. I got burned on the Wii, so when the inevitable price drop comes for this system, I may or may not jump in.

Definitely will be buying it when the games start coming. I'm waiting for Wind Waker HD, Bayonetta 2, Fire Emblem X SMT, Pikmin 3 and Xenoblade 2. When most of these games are out, I will get a Wii U.

Raxus

Donkey Kong 64 sequel, or just a 3D Donkey Kong game in general no side scrolling bs.

Blech. Really? I have 0 fond memories of DK64. If anything a sequel to DKC: Returns would be welcome.

I think a return to 2D Metroid would be refreshing and I agree another Starfox 64/Star Wars Rouge Squadron would be great.

tim.mbp

I got $260 worth of GameStop credit. I was going to buy a PS3, but now I might just buy a Wii U. I'm more of a Nintendo fan anyways.

I was gonna get it eventually, but I was just gonna wait a while for it.
I dunno if I'm gonna hold out much longer now.

Why? At the absolute earliest, the first of these games will come out Fall 2013(Wind Waker HD, which this is Nintendo so I won't be surprised if delayed). The rest are most like 2014/2015. Even by the time WW comes out there will be a huge price drop. It makes no sense to buy one of these now.

Bittercup

I wasn't really interested in the Wii U, now it seems likely that I will buy one sooner or later as a secondary console for exclusives.
But I will wait for a price drop first.

danmaku

They convinced me when they announced Bayonetta 2. But not now, there's plenty of time to get the console and the games for cheap.

Strike

I was already going to buy one eventually. Then again (unlike most of GAF) my expectations were grounded in reality. I knew by it's second Christmas the cames would come and the sales would improve (like the 3DS). Third party situation will largely remain the same. Maybe this will at least stop the bitching and doom and gloom at least for a little while so GAF could go back to just focusing on the Vita.

Top Bottom