• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

I just got into Pokemon within the last year because my 5 y/o son is into it. We started with the cards. Then the TV show, figures, and plushies. Finally we got X (him) and Y (me) for 3DS.

We've been playing at about the same pace, but he captures WAY MORE Pokemon than me. He has 4 boxes full, I have less than 2. I finished the story portion last night and told him "I beat the game" and he just looked at me like I was crazy and said "but the goal is to capture all the Pokemon!" He had me there. Smart kid.

Anyway, as far as favorites go, I like most/all of the Pokemon, honestly. But the description for Palkia is the coolest:

Palkia, the Spatial Pokemon
It is said to live in a gap in the spatial dimension parallel to ours.

Buizel is the most underrated.

250px-418Buizel.png

What are Pokemon and where did they come from? Are they natural creatures that evolved over time like all other animals, or did people create them? How do Pokeballs work? How do huge Pokemon fit into tiny Pokeballs, and why don't Pokeballs weigh a ton when there's a large Pokemon in them? Why are Pokeballs required to capture Pokemon? Why can't we just use regular old crates or boxes?

This picture actually reminds me that for every Poke'mon that makes it to the games, there are at least 5 more that are put away. I wonder how many of those get redesigned for the next game. By the way, I've noticed there are two marks beside 'Gen6' does that mean those individuals are working on new design right now?
Two marks? Not sure what you mean, but essentially, the list of designers for each game changes. Some people only design for one game and leave, and some stay on for a long time.

Dryk

Anyway, as far as favorites go, I like most/all of the Pokemon, honestly. But the description for Palkia is the coolest:

Palkia, the Spatial Pokemon
It is said to live in a gap in the spatial dimension parallel to ours.
Arceus is the laziest God ever. Created the universe and a bunch of lesser deities to fill the void for it then went to sleep.

What are Pokemon and where did they come from? Are they natural creatures that evolved over time like all other animals, or did people create them? How do Pokeballs work? How do huge Pokemon fit into tiny Pokeballs, and why don't Pokeballs weigh a ton when there's a large Pokemon in them? Why are Pokeballs required to capture Pokemon? Why can't we just use regular old crates or boxes?
God made some lesser gods who made space, time and some lesser lesser gods who made land, sea and other life.

Nobody really knows how Pokeballs work. They convert the Pokemon into some sort of energy but it's implied that they maintain some manner of consciousness and autonomy in that state so it really makes no sense. It does explain why the balls don't weigh more though.

b93.gif

Two marks? Not sure what you mean, but essentially, the list of designers for each game changes. Some people only design for one game and leave, and some stay on for a long time.
I'm talking about how Toyama and Mizutani seem to have a 'Y' in the space next to 'Gen6' which makes me think they are assigned roles for the next generation of Poke'mon designs.

Anyway, I like the idea of Poke'mon having so many different designers pitching ideas and concepts with Ken Sugimori adjusting them to fit in with the other Poke'mon, it makes me believe that Game Freak could hold an event where fans can design their own non-starter/legendary Poke'mon and hope it makes it in the game.

I'm talking about how Toyama and Mizutani seem to have a 'Y' in the space next to 'Gen6' which makes me think they are assigned roles for the next generation of Poke'mon designs.

Anyway, I like the idea of Poke'mon having so many different designers pitching ideas and concepts with Ken Sugimori adjusting them to fit in with the other Poke'mon, it makes me believe that Game Freak could hold an event where fans can design their own non-starter/legendary Poke'mon and hope it makes it in the game.
Hmm, I don't see anything on my display. That said, the info I have in that post is current up to G6, and not beyond. In Toyama's case, he's been in the credits for the G4, G5, and G6 games, while Mizutani has been on G5 and G6.

When the next gen games come, I'll be sure to update the post :)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
ieweuJA.png

009 - Caterpie
Bug

Caterpie is the first Bug Pokemon, and the first instance of the "Early Bug" archetype that almost every Generation since has included in some form. The Early Bug serves as a tutorial of sorts teaching players the basics of Pokemon evolution, as their low level of evolution means they'll likely evolve quicker than even the Starter Pokemon unless the player does some serious grinding. On the other hand, Early Bug Pokemon tend to quickly lose their ability to keep up with the rest of the team, and also teach the players that sometimes they may have to cut a member of their team as the game progresses, and that not all Pokemon are created equal.

Caterpie is a very basic Bug-type Pokemon, more or less resembling a real-life caterpillar except for being much larger. This simplistic design immediately communicates the fact that this Pokemon is probably not much more powerful than an actual caterpillar, and players, who will assuredly be familiar with the basic life cycle of caterpillars, know what to expect in terms of evolution. Caterpie is apparently based off the "spicebrush swallowtail caterpillar", which are known for their unique horn known as the "osmeterium" which sprays a strong odor to repel predators, which Caterpie is capable of. The little circles on its body are likely meant to be "fake eyes" like real caterpillars have to look more intimidating. One interesting thing is that Stadium's PokeDex implies that the eyes on Caterpie's head are actually fake as well, and merely patterns, but that is the only time that's mentioned, and those eyes are clearly shown moving throughout the franchise, so that's either a mistake or a dropped idea.

Caterpie was the first Pokemon caught by Ash Ketchum in the show, and thus was quite memorable because of that. There have been a few episodes since then that focused on Caterpie as well, one as recent as Black and White, to serve as both a nostalgic trip down memory lane for older fans as well as bring newer fans into the fold and show them a bit of Ash's backstory that they were too young to experience for themselves. Many Pokemon fans likely caught a Caterpie as their first Pokemon as well, and even though it's still a weak early-game Pokemon that doesn't have much of a purpose beyond that, it remains a classic Pokemon icon.

HStqK4x.png

010 - Metapod
Bug

Metapod is the first Cocoon-archetype Pokemon, and alongside Kakuna will probably be one of the first evolved Pokemon that players obtain. Metapod teaches players two important facts---first of all, evolution comes with new moves as well as a statistical upgrade so there's an obvious benefit to evolution. On the other hand, Metapod also illustrates that evolved Pokemon aren't necessarily better than their unevolved forms on their own---if the player catches a Metapod as opposed to evolving it, they'll be stuck with a Pokemon that only knows Harden, but by evolving a Caterpie, they'll have a Metapod capable of attacking. The idea communicated by this is that rather than rushing to catch evolved Pokemon, the player may benefit more by catching Pokemon at lower evolutionary forms and taking the time to train them.

On the other hand, if you do use a newly caught Metapod in battle, it'll help you learn how the Experience system works---Metapod won't be able to do anything to the opponent, but by switching to another Pokemon and then winning the battle, you'll learn that any Pokemon who was involved gains Experience Points even if they were unable to faint the opponent.

Metapod is based off the chrysalis of the swallowtail butterflies apparently (I'm really not an entomologist so forgive me if my explanation is a bit ungraceful), and also incorporates the "mimicry" element that Caterpie had with its eye-spots. As many have noticed, Metapod has what appears to be a nose on its back and when one looks at it with this in mind, it appears to have very angry eyes and looks quite threatening. Of course, its true front is the other side of its body which has a very dopey look to it.

Like Caterpie, Metapod has a lot of nostalgia among fans. The Metapod vs. Metapod battle in the anime is one of the most memorable moments in the show's 800+ episode run.

26JQNF1.png

010 - Butterfree
Bug/Flying

Butterfree is one of the first fully evolved Pokemon the players will likely own, and can only be obtained in Generation 1 through evolution. This Pokemon helps demonstrate how training may be the only way to obtain certain Pokemon, and the player will likely feel a sense of achievement upon evolving Butterfree. This will make them feel the urge to train all their Pokemon up to see what kind of creatures they'll evolve into. Butterfree is also the first Pokemon the player will likely obtain which becomes a new type upon evolution---Flying.

While its previous forms were based off members of the swallowtail class of butterflies, Butterfree is lacks the trademark tail the species are named for, and appears to be based on the black-veined white butterfly that is native to Japan. Unlike Caterpie, which looks relatively realistic, Butterfree is much more cartoonish looking...but most children likely only perceive butterflies as basically being thin lines with large wings, as kids often draw them as, so most young players likely don't even know what a butterfly should look like beyond the wings. There's a theory that perhaps could explain this that claims Butterfree wasn't intended to be the final evolution of Caterpie, but I'll examine that claim when I reach the Pokemon that people think was meant to serve as the final evolution of Caterpie.

Butterfree was the first fully-evolved Pokemon Ash gained in the show, and was one of his most loyal Pokemon early on. It was also the first Pokemon he released as Butterfree left to mate, and hasn't been seen since outside of cameos. There's a long-standing rumor that in the Japanese version, it was implied that Butterfree died after they mated, but this is false and likely one of those rumors that came about as a way to make the original seem more "mature" than the dubbed version. Butterfree may as well be dead, though, considering it hasn't actually returned in over 800+ episodes.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Psh, if I was a Butterfree that got to mate with an alternate colored Butterfree, I'd never leave either.

StoneFox

It wasn't even a shiny butterfree, it was something much rarer! Imagine if Team Rocket had actually caught and given that butterfree to Giovanni, he would have had his mind blown.

PBalfredo

Butterfree is an example of some classic Gen 1 wonkyness in how it's a Bug/Flying type with absolutely no Bug or Flying type attacks. Instead it gets a couple of Psychic attacks (which can be handy since Kanto is knee-deep in Poison types) and an over abundance of status-inducing moves.

At least modern Butterfree can learn Bug Buzz and Quiver Dance. But so can every other butterfly or moth pokemon.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Still a fan of the theory that Butterfree and Venomoth were switched.

While I'm not a big fan of the series whatsoever anymore - gen 5 was really a knockout in terms of designs. It was the best since the first gen, if not better.

Too bad 6 fucked everything up.

Azure J

Butterfree is an example of some classic Gen 1 wonkyness in how it's a Bug/Flying type with absolutely no Bug or Flying type attacks. Instead it gets a couple of Psychic attacks (which can be handy since Kanto is knee-deep in Poison types) and an over abundance of status-inducing moves.

At least modern Butterfree can learn Bug Buzz and Quiver Dance. But so can every other butterfly or moth pokemon.

I remember having my mind blown the one time later in the game when I got to grind old Pokemon with the Elite Four in Red and found out that Butterfree got Psybeam.

Hastati

Is it just me or are there far more blue than red pokemon?

Is this some sort of hidden message GameFreak?

(Don't think I ever beat Blue)

Dryk

Which in itself is a classic example of Game Freak's "Oh you want Butterfree/Raticate/Pidgeot to be good? Here you go, this is Vivillon/Diggersby/Staraptor". Old trash Pokemon can't catch a break.

PBalfredo

Which in itself is a classic example of Game Freak's "Oh you want Butterfree/Raticate/Pidgeot to be good? Here you go, this is Vivillon/Diggersby/Staraptor". Old trash Pokemon can't catch a break.

Bit of an aside, but it's kind of hilarious that the only early game Bunnelbys you can catch have garbage abilities, but only after you've finished the game can you get one with its amazing hidden ability, Huge Power. Meanwhile, Vivilions and Staraptors caught in the wild can be legit good with their default abilities.

Dryk

Bit of an aside, but it's kind of hilarious that the only early game Bunnelbys you can catch have garbage abilities, but only after you've finished the game can you get one with its amazing hidden ability, Huge Power. Meanwhile, Vivilions and Staraptors caught in the wild can be legit good with their default abilities.
Talonflame is the same. It can only get Flare Blitz through move tutor and it's hidden ability is where it shines.

Toxi

Banned
What are Pokemon and where did they come from? Are they natural creatures that evolved over time like all other animals, or did people create them?
It seems to depend on the Pokemon. Mew has the DNA of all Pokemon (Or at least most of them), indicating it is the common ancestor of Pokemon, but there are plenty of exceptions.

Arceus created the universe and is basically God, so it had to come first.

Mewtwo is a genetically-modified clone of Mew born on Cinnabar Island that went wild.

Grimer and Voltorb are manmade objects transformed into Pokemon through mysterious phenomena.

Porygon is a computer program, Porygon 2 is the official upgrade, and Porygon Z is a hack of dubious origin.

Registeel, Regirock, and Regice were constructed and animated by Regigigas.

Deoxys is an alien virus exposed to X-rays.

Clefairy and its kin are also aliens.

And in the most messed-up case ever, Yamask is the soul of a dead human.

So it's complicated. There's also the fact that the Pokedex might not be totally accurate, considering the Pokedex is written by 10 year olds.

Still a fan of the theory that Butterfree and Venomoth were switched.

Yeah I definitely think they were swapped at some stage. Butterfree just looks too similar to Venonat.

While I'm not a big fan of the series whatsoever anymore - gen 5 was really a knockout in terms of designs. It was the best since the first gen, if not better.

Too bad 6 fucked everything up.

Lol it's funny because I feel exactly the opposite.
I felt 6 was finally a return to form after the mediocre designs in gen 4 and 5. Just a shame that there was so few of them (not counting megas).

Toxi

Banned
Butterfree really missed out this gen when its rival Beedril got a fantastic mega evolution and it got jack shit.

Butterfree really missed out this gen when its rival Beedril got a fantastic mega evolution and it got jack shit.

Gamefreak has a history of this :p

Scyther got an evolution while Pinsir got jack.
Electabuzz and Magmar got evolutions while Jynx got jack.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

I'd hate it if they felt forced to just create a ton of evolutions to simulate parity.
Not all Pokemon are equal.

Toxi

Banned
I'd hate it if they felt forced to just create a ton of evolutions to simulate parity.
Not all Pokemon are equal.
Sure, but it'd be nice if more worthless Pokemon were given the Beedrill treatment.

Pinsir got its revenge though

by mega evolving into a demon from hell

Hollycat

But why would anyone catch a Bunnelby when Mawille exists?

I've been off and on Pokemon ever since it came out, but I'm finally getting back into it and plan on trying to catch em' all (not all at once, I'll pace it over a few years so I don't burn out).

Yellow was my first Pokemon game back in 4th/5th grade (17 years ago!). I got REALLY into buying the cards too, but after a year I had pretty much burnt out. I think it was Gold/Silver that turned me off, I remember seeing the new pokemon in a Nintendo Power and thinking a lot of them seemed really dumb ("a sheep pokemon? Lame!). I don't think I played a Pokemon game again until my last year of High School with Pokemon Pearl. I liked it, but didn't love it. I think I was a little overwhelmed by how much new stuff was in it (SO many new pokemon since Gen 1, breeding, new pokemon types, and a bunch of optional minigames and stuff) and how hard it was to get certain pokemon I wanted (I think I REALLY wanted a Magnemite, but I don't think you could get them until post game).

Pokemon White was the next game I played and actually rejuvenated my interest in the series. I liked a lot of the new pokemon designs (even some of the controversial ones like the garbage heap pokemon, haha) and I liked how you would only find the new ones through fighting the elite 4. It made me not focus on catching my old favorites and instead make some new favorites.

I've been slowly building up a collection of at least one main game per generation. I've got Leaf Green (which I'm playing through now), Emerald, Heart Gold, and Platinum. I still need to buy Black or White and Black 2 or White 2 (I thought I had them, but I might have sold them) and I'm hoping that we get a Pokemon Z soon, because I sold Y soon after beating it when it came out and I didn't really love it and if I re-bought it I'd want some additional stuff and improvements to it (like New 3DS support for better performance, 3D outside of battles, or something). I doubt I'll get around to Pokemon White anytime soon, so I think I can wait on getting those ones for a while, haha.

Watch Da Birdie

B4dsXXG.png

013 - Weedle
Bug/Poison

Weedle is the other Early Bug Pokemon introduced in Kanto, and could be seen as the "heel" of Early Bug Pokemon. Caterpie and its evolutionary family give off the impression of rather friendly critters that are well suited to early trainers, while Weedle and its evolutionary family are a bit more "dangerous". In reality, the two of them are basically equal counterparts, but I feel thanks mainly to the show there's much more good will towards Caterpie than there is towards Weedle.

Unlike Caterpie, Weedle is part Poison, and will likely teach the player about status effects if they're hit by its Poison Sting move. Poison can be quite fatal early on when a Pokemon has low health, and many players will quickly figure out how status effects can possibly change the tide of battle. Caterpie and Weedle also give a crash course on version exclusivity, although to a lesser extent...Weedle is more common in Red, and Caterpie is more common in Blue, illustrating to the player if they interact with other players that some Pokemon might be more common in their version than the other version.

Design wise, Weedle is a bit more simplistic than Caterpie, but since bee larva are relatively simple looking this is understandable since they had less to work with. The latter looks relatively realistic and more elaborate, whereas Weedle is made up of rather basic shapes. Its trademark element is its twin stingers---a hint that it's a Pokemon who might be dangerous to take a hit from, hinting at its Poison-typing, and giving a preview of what kind of creature it might become upon evolution. Weedle also has a rather cute nose that's used to find its favorite snacks.

I'm a bit confused why they decided to change Weedle's name during localization, as its original name---Beedle---was a perfectly functional and usable pun for English audiences. I understand the idea behind localization in general, but sometimes I don't understand why some localizations take it upon themselves to localize a name that was already perfectly usable, especially if they're just gonna change one letter and call it a day. Sometimes it feels like they just do it "just because", like when there's an anime character with an English name yet the dub goes with a completely different English name.

Unlike Caterpie, Weedle doesn't have the same nostalgia behind it---it's always had rather bit roles in the show, and I don't recall it ever having an episode to itself.

05sjeGC.png

014 - Kakuna
Bug/Poison

As a child, my knowledge of insects was rather limited, and I thought that only caterpillars went through metamorphosis, and that Kakuna was an entirely fictional creature---years later I learned that plenty of insects went through such a life-cycle, and Kakuna was based off the very real honeybee pupa, and its design wasn't too far off the mark.

Anyway, everything I said about Metapod's role pretty much applies to Kakuna. While Metapod has a bit of ambiguity to its design---looking "mean" only if you look at it in reverse---Kakuna looks naturally intimidating, although I've become unable to not see its little arms as a cute tie. Speaking of its arms, the PokeDex in some entries indicates that it's capable of moving said arms to attack if need be, and the Red/Blue sprite and some early artwork shows it doing just this---presumably this is how it uses Poison Sting if it learned it as Weedle. All instances of it actually moving its arms seem to be exclusive to the original Generation 1 days, and I don't recall the show ever displaying this trait, nor any of the recent games. Some PokeDex entries, such as X's, seem to state the opposite that it has no way to protect itself except by hardening, so this seems to be one of those little habits the PokeDex entries can't agree upon.

Like Weedle, Kakuna's pretty much always played second fiddle to the Caterpie family. Its appearance in the show usually serves as an ominous sign that some Beedrill are nearby, and that's it---but I guess it's hard to really write an episode around a Pokemon that barely moves.

AmyimKg.png

015 - Beedrill
Bug/Poison

Beedrill is the final form of Weedle, and as its name suggest is a bee---although more accurately it's closer to being an Asian giant hornet. But most people likely see any yellow insect that stings as a "bee", so you can't fault the people who named it for not worrying about the nitty-gritty biological details. Unlike real-world bees, it doesn't just have one stinger, but three stingers which allows it to wreck serious damage. If I lived in the Pokemon World, I'd probably never go outside with these Pokemon around.

Beedrill has wings like Butterfree, but since it was already Bug/Poison, isn't a Flying-type. This is one of the first instances players will encounter where they'll have to accept a break in logic due to the fact that Pokemon is an RPG, and has to adhere to a specific set of rules in order to provide the player with an easy-to-understand system. Even though Beedrill is perfectly capable of flying, it's not immune to Ground-type attacks like actual Flying-type Pokemon, and while Generation III helped alleviate this issue somewhat by introducing Levitate, Beedrill was given Swarm instead and thus was still vulnerable to Ground-based attacks. And despite being described as a very fast Pokemon, his low base stats means many Pokemon will outspeed him.

Beedrill has a somewhat vaguely humanoid shape to it, but lacks the "personable" element that Butterfree has---Beedrill looks somewhat alien, and has a bit of a mechanical feel to it as well. Butterfree feels like your friend, but Beedrill feels like a machine that runs on instinct alone. I imagine this might be why Butterfree seems to be more popular and beloved than Beedrill...

Of course, Beedrill being set-up as an antagonist in the show opposite Ash's Butterfree probably didn't help its image (well, unless you violently hated Ash that is), and throughout the show's run Beedrill's only point seems to be to serve as a convenient plot device the writers use whenever they need to have a serious moment by having a swarm of them appear and chase the heroes, or as a way to punish Team Rocker during the stinger (no pun intended) of an episode. I don't think it's ever had an episode to itself, but it was used by the protagonist of the Raikou Special at least making it one of the few moments it played a positive role. Also---did you know Ash actually owned a Beedrill? Caught it during the Bug Catching Contest in Johto, but gave it to his rival Casey right away. Usually Ash's Pokemon last for at least an episode before they're dumped like that...

LRhn34x.gif

M015 - Mega Beedrill
Bug/Poison

Perhaps to apologize for the years of living in Butterfree's shadow, Beedrill was given its own Mega Evolution in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire---and personally it's one of the coolest looking. Beedrill as I mentioned before had a very "mechanical" feel to it, and Mega Beedrill takes that to the next level as it looks very much like some sort of bee-style mecha. Rather than three stingers, it now has five in total---the smaller stingers are used to quickly wound the foe with fast-acting poison, while its central stinger contains a slow-acting, fatal poison used to finish off the foe. It's pretty vicious!

Mega Beedrill also finally lives up to how you'd imagine Beedrill would be, statistically, as it now has exceedingly high attack and speed stats. On the other hand, it's still quite fragile, and while it's able to hold its own much better than before, it hasn't completely escaped the middling-level tier of Pokemon it has always inhabited. But hey, it's the first Early Bug Pokemon given a chance to shine with a Mega Evolution, and that's certainly an accomplishment.

Toxi

Banned
Mega Beedrill's stat spread is the funniest stat spread in Pokemon since Shedinja, Deoxys-A, and Shuckle. MOAR ATTACK MOAR SPEED MOAR MOAR MOAR FORGET ANYTHING ELSE

Beedrill's always been one of my faves because of how badass it looked; I even used one as my main Pokemon in one of my Red playthroughs. It's nice to see it finally get some decent stats with mega evolution.

(Now please fix Magcargo Gamefreak)

jnWake

Beedrill's pretty cool. I remember liking it as a kid but I think it sucked in the games. Did it have any good attacks in Gen 1?

Dryk

Beedrill's pretty cool. I remember liking it as a kid but I think it sucked in the games. Did it have any good attacks in Gen 1?
Poison Sting
String Shot
Harden
Fury Attack
Focus Energy
Twineedle
Rage
Pin Missile
Agility
+ TMs

It's movepool was pretty awful. But then again most movepools in Gen 1 were awful

It got Sludge Bomb by TM and Pursuit by level in Gen II so that was something I guess. It actually got a pretty good deal compared to Butterfree whose STAB attacks back in the day were:

Gust in Gen II
Silver Wind and Aerial Ace in Gen III

Watch Da Birdie

ysnze8r.png

016 - Pidgey
Normal/Flying

Pidgey is the first Flying-type Pokemon the player will likely encounter, and sets the stage as to what to expect from Flying-type Pokemon...they're Pokemon that are capable of flying, and tend to be based off birds more often than not. Pidgey is also the first "Early Bird Pokemon", Normal/Flying bird Pokemon that appear early on, and tend to be a Pokemon that many beginning trainers catch. These Pokemon tend to evolve alongside the Starters, and serve as vital members early on, even though they lose a bit of their luster as the journey continues typically---of course, around the time the player is considering dropping the Early Bird Pokemon, they also obtain the HM Fly, so many players keep them around for that role even if they don't aid much in battle. Even though Pidgey is considered the iconic Early Bird Pokemon, it wasn't till Generation IV that we got a direct counterpart to him that followed the same three-stage style.

Despite both the original and dub name indicating Pidgey is a pigeon, in fact it looks very little like a pigeon, and shares more traits with hawks and such. It's another little oddity that I think a lot of us didn't really pay much attention to as kids---if the name said it was a pigeon, it was a pigeon---but became more noticeable as we grew up. The fact we later got a much more authentic pigeon Pokemon also helped illustrate this issue. As it is part Normal, Pidgey has a rather plain color scheme and looks like a creature you might find in real life. Pidgey is characterized as being a Pokemon that is quite suitable for early trainers, as its PokeDex entries indicate it is a rather passive creature (unless provoked) and likely won't prove too dangerous for new trainers.

Pidgey is a popular Pokemon the various media have often used to populate background scenes, but true starring roles for the little bird are less frequent. In one episode, the writers took advantage of its role (at the time) as the closest thing to a pigeon Pokemon, and cast them as carrier pigeons. However, one of my favorite episodes of the show featured a Pidgey as well, in which it had the extremely ambitious goal of flying all the way to the moon. Although it didn't succeed as you'd expect, the fact it tried its hardest and made it past the atmosphere gave me chills when I first watched the episode. Fly on, brave Pidgey, fly on!

vzThsxv.png

017 - Pidgeotto
Normal/Flying

Pidgeotto is the evolved form of Pidgey, and could be compared to the middle-form evolutions of the Starters as it evolves around the same time and is about on their level, stat-wise. At this point, trying to pass Pidgeotto off as a pigeon is a bit ridiculous---it's a bird of prey with incredibly strong eyesight and speed. Despite being a hunter, interestingly enough the PokeDex entries in Fire Red and X state a popular choice of prey for it is Exeggcute of all Pokemon. That's kind of an odd choice---besides the fact it seems like Pidgeotto wouldn't care for a plant creature like that, Exeggcute is disguised to look like an egg. Does that perhaps imply Pidgeotto seeks out regular eggs as part of its diet as well?

Pidgeotto is still a relatively plain looking Pokemon, but looks a bit more majestic with a colorful crest and plumage. I don't think anyone's ever figured out where the "geotto" part of the name comes from---Bulbapedia offers some suggestions, that it's from the Italian word for 18 (the level Pidgey evolves at), or named after an air pioneer named Otto, but those sound like a bit of a stretch.

Pidgeotto was the second Pokemon that Ash caught in the show, and began the tradition of him catching the Early Bird Pokemon in each Region ever since (although, beginning in Hoenn, he caught the first form instead), but looking back, Pidgeotto sort of got the short end of the stick once the Kanto Starters came about. While it was a regular member of his team, and never got Oak'd throughout all of Kanto, most of the time it was simply used to deal with Team Rocket, and its uses in Gym Battles steadily decreased as the series went on. It didn't even get to fight in the Kanto League. Apart from Ash's Pidgeotto, they don't appear often in the show beyond that, and don't get much focus otherwise.

0izPKBX.png

018 - Pidgeot
Normal/Flying

Pidgeot is the final form of Pidgey, and will probably be obtained alongside the final form of the player's Starter if they kept them---Pidgeot is strong enough to keep up with some of the end-game Pokemon, but sadly lacks the power and versatility to provide much use in serious competition. Future final-form Early Bird Pokemon have left it a bit in the dust as well, but as it is many player's first Early Bird Pokemon, and likely a member of their first ever Hall of Fame team, this can be forgiven. At this time, Game Freak didn't seem too concerned with making every Pokemon viable, so a lot of Pokemon in Generation I end up lacking some of the tools and abilities their later counterparts are capable of.

Pidgeot basically, well, "gets bigger", a common evolution style in Generation I, and the kind of evolution most fans seem to prefer for the most part as long as their is a decent amount of visual change occurring. Originally, Pidgeot in its art and pre-RS sprites had the same style tail as Pidgeotto, where it alternated red-yellow-red...for some reason, in the anime it had a fully red tail, and future sprites have since gone with the red-tail style as well. No clue why this change happened, but it means the colors of Pidgeotto's head, and the colors of Pidgeotto's tail, now reverse upon evolution. Speaking of Pidgeotto, it seems like Pidgeotto would serve better as the final form's name rather than Pidgeot, since the former is longer and a bit more impressive. This of course isn't an issue in the original---Pidgeotto is simply "Pijon" in that, and Pidgeot is basically pronounced the same being "Pigeot"---but maybe the localization team should've considered giving Pidgeotto a name that didn't seem like it was expanding on the name of its evolution?

As Pidgeot's name suggests (pigeon + jet), it's fast. Said to be able to fly at Mach 2 speed! Unfortunately, this doesn't exactly translate well to the game---Pidgeot isn't necessarily slow, but is slower than you think. Consider this---originally, before Generation VI bumped its speed up a bit, Pidgeot was slower than Pokemon such as Magmar and Tentacruel. The player soon learns to not take everything the PokeDex says at face value...

Let's get this out of the way now...yes, Ash left Pidgeot back in Pallet when it evolved, promised to come back for it, and never has. Pidgeot has only appeared in small cameos in various Openings and Endings since then, and that's it. The writer's clearly haven't forgotten about him either---there were multiple trailers for the Darkrai Movie that actually showed Ash riding atop a Pidgeot, and as the movie involved Pokemon that could control time, space, and dreams, everyone thought that somehow Pidgeot would finally be reunited with Ash. They totally trolled us, as it wasn't Ash's Pidgeot. Not only that, at no point in the movie does Ash actually ride a Pidgeot. And these were trailers that played only a few months away from the movie's premiere with plenty of actual scenes! Will Ash's Pidgeot ever return? Well...perhaps there's a new hope...

NOLYZeV.gif

M018 - Mega Pidgeot
Normal/Flying

Perhaps as an apology for letting the new-fangled Early Bird Pokemon outclass it (Fire/Flying? That's not fair!), Pidgeot got a Mega Evolution in ORAS! Mega Pidgeot's speed greatly increases, meaning that Mach 2 stuff isn't total bullshit now, as does its Special Attack. Visually, Mega Pidgeot is quite colorful---it has a rainbow quality to it and brings to mind Ho-Oh---and it definitely is a lot more elaborate in design, but I think could still be said to keep the simplicity of its original form in-tact somewhat.

From my understanding, Mega Pidgeot is fairly viable in competitive play. Not perhaps to the level of Talonflame, but close enough that I think Pidgeot fans can celebrate that they're back in the game. Now that there's a reason to bring back Pidgeot thanks to having a shiny new form the show can advertise, maybe we'll finally see Ash return for Mega Pidgeot sometime in XY? This could be its last chance to come back---cross your fingers!

Stage On

Oh man I'm loving this thread so far! Keep up the amazing work

As for Pidgeot even if they brought it back the chance of it being Ash's mega evolution are slim to none.

So far the anime has stuck to each trainer only being able to mega evolve one Pokemon so If Ash does get a Mega it'll probably be one of his starters for marketing reasons :/

Honestly Pidgeot's best chance to ever return is during a league since that's when Ash is most likely to call upon his reserves. The only problem is he doesn't always do it during every league sometimes sticking to only using the team he's caught in that region.

Bladenic

Ash's Pidgeotto was never very good anyway, I think I recall it got its ass kicked all the time. I think it was set to win against Misty's Starmie, but otherwise it never did much. And was it still around for the indigo league or did it evolve and get released by then?

Hollycat

Ash's Pidgeotto was never very good anyway, I think I recall it got its ass kicked all the time. I think it was set to win against Misty's Starmie, but otherwise it never did much. And was it still around for the indigo league or did it evolve and get released by then?

It was released right after the indigo league when the evolved spearow he tried to catch in the first episode attcked some local pidgeys

Boogiepop

Still bitter about the Butterfree and Pidgeot releases. Primeape was kind of bs as well, but not as bad at least.

Really enjoying these, btw. Hope you stick to it! As a small point, I like the idea of giving the sprites from the time, but I feel like it may kind of be better to add a modern model as well, especially for these early ones, since the sprites aren't necessarily a good representation of the modern design...

PBalfredo

Mega Beedrill is pretty noticeable for how much min-maxing it undergoes when it mega evolves. All other mega evolution gain 100 extra points to their base stats, with some also redistributing 10 points from one stat to another. Mega Beedrill gets its extra 100 points and also redistributes 30 points from its useless Special Attack stat and pumps it into Attack and Speed.

Watch Da Birdie

pHyesDI.png

019 - Rattata
Normal

Continuing our exploration of the early-game Pokemon, it's time for Rattata. Rattata is the first pure-Normal Pokemon the player will encounter and possibly one of the first Pokemon the player will catch. Such Normal Pokemon serve an important role, as they are neither advantageous nor disadvantageous against the majority of early game Pokemon. This allows the player to see how the base power of attacks work, without worrying about Type Advantage, and at the same time will demonstrate to the player how using the Type Advantage can bolster the attack power when they compare Rattata's damage output to that of their other Pokemon who are capable of scoring Super Effective Hits. If a player attempts to use Rattata against the first Gym Leader, Brock, who uses Rock Pokemon who resist Normal-type attacks, they will likely be unable to do much damage, and will realize that Type Advantage is an important part of the game that they need to learn and master if they wish to progress further.

Rattata is also the first instance of the "Regional Rodent", a small mammalian pure-Normal Pokemon who appears early in the game, and often it and its single evolution pop up quite frequently throughout the first half of the adventure. Regional Rodents aren't necessarily powerful Pokemon, they lose their luster quicker than the Early Bird Pokemon in many cases, yet they also tend to be capable of learning a wide array of important Field Moves, and thus may be kept around for that reason even if they don't see much action. As Normal-type Pokemon (for the most part), they also are somewhat of a low-risk Pokemon where Type Advantage only comes into play with Fighting, the only Pokemon that they're defensively weak to. Normal-type Pokemon can often pick up plenty of different types of moves, so even though Normal-type attacks can't hit Ghost Pokemon, and don't do much to Rock Pokemon, once the player begins obtaining TMs this becomes less of an issue. On the other hand, the Regional Rodents don't necessarily excel at inflicting Super Effective damage, so the player may opt to drop them when it's time for Gym Battles in favor of a team who specializes in taking down that Type.

Well, Rattata itself is the de facto Regional Rodent, and is simply a purplish-rat with an emphasis on its large buck-teeth which serve as its main means of offense. As a pure-Normal Type Pokemon belonging to the "realistic" category of Normal Pokemon, it doesn't suggest any elemental affiliation in its design, and like Pidgey is a creature that looks possibly like one you could perhaps encounter in real-life. It serves an important function for the franchise overall, as it helped introduce a reoccurring archetype to the series, but Rattata isn't exactly an exciting Pokemon, even among the classics it's one most people probably don't think much of.

However, Rattata has grown fairly popular in recent years due to two "memes" surrounding it. The first is the F.E.A.R. Rattata, a popular gimmick strategy in which a Level 1 Rattata, through the use Focus Sash, Endeavor, and Quick Attack, baits a high-level opponent into attacking it, lowering its HP to 1 (Focus Sash helps it survive one sure-kill attack), and then uses Endeavor which reduces the opponent's HP to 1 as well. The next turn, one hit from Quick Attack will result in the opponent's defeat. Rattata isn't the only Pokemon capable of using this, any Pokemon capable of learning Endeavor and Quick Attack are capable of it, but it's the most popular option due to how embarrassing it is for the opponent to lose to a Rattata of all things. Of course, this is a gimmick strategy, and has grown so popular that any opponent will likely know what you're attempting and easily counter it...I wonder if anyone has seriously been tricked by this strategy in real life?

The other meme surrounding Rattata is due to Youngster Joey in Heart Gold and Soul Silver (he was in the original as well, but wasn't as memorable as his remake incarnation) who constantly bragged about his Rattata being among the "top percentage" of all Rattata. There was a rumor that looking into the game's data showed that his Rattata actually was a superior specimen as it had perfect IVs (individual values, randomly generated values every Pokemon has which determines how high its base stats are) but this is actually false, and like most minor NPC Pokemon, the Rattata actually has 0 IVs. The player's Rattata is likely inherently stronger than it.

Rattata has legitimately like no presence in the show apart from having minor cameos here and there, and I don't recall an episode ever focused around it in the entire show's run---the last Johto Episode featured a bunch of them in a somewhat "important role", but I hazard to call it a focus episode for them.

BnwYJS2.png

020 - Raticate
Normal

So far, all the Pokemon we've encountered have been members of three-stage evolution families, which are the most memorable part of the Pokemon experience overall---achieving your first fully evolved three-stage Pokemon is a great feeling. Raticate introduces the fact that not all Pokemon are capable of evolving twice---some can only evolve once. Now, Pokemon who evolve only once aren't necessarily weaker, but tend to be roughly in-between the strength of the middle-level stages and final-level stages of the families who appear around the same time they do, in Raticate's case, it is somewhat stronger than Pidgeotto in terms of base stats, but doesn't quite measure up to Pidgeot. Rattata evolves slower than Pidgeotto as a way to balance this out as well.

New players might wonder if Raticate can evolve further, but I think Game Freak did a decent job on telegraphing the fact that it's a final form---the middle-form Pokemon encountered so far, such as Ivysaur, Wartortle, Charmeleon, and Pidgeotto, have rather incremental changes from their first forms, leaving plenty of room to develop further. Raticate, on the other hand, has a much more dramatic change, going from a quadruped to a biped and undergoing a color change as well. It's a rather humble evolution all things considered, but compared to the early game Pokemon it's a quite a change, and such a large change gives the impression that this is the peak of evolution for it. The player can't imagine it undergoing such a dramatic evolution once more. Now, Caterpie and Weedle also change quite a bit when they evolve, but in that case they're mimicking the life-cycle of bugs who often undergo a rather notable metamorphosis, and the player will naturally except a cocoon Pokemon to evolve once more. Most 2-Stage Pokemon tend to follow this idea of a rather "big" leap from first-form to second-form to give a sense of conclusion, but of course there are plenty who undergo rather simplistic changes as well. There's no real way to know if a Pokemon is a three-stage or two-stage Pokemon when they first encounter a Pokemon belonging to a family they've yet to see, but often can figure it out thanks to in-game trainers using Pokemon, and utilizing the Dex to see if there's a space for an evolution.

Raticate appears to be based off of a muskrat, but also has elements of the "coypu" (also known as the Nutria) such as having webbed hind feet like the coypu does. Me, well, I always just saw it as a really big rat. Even though you might not think this upon seeing it, like its inspirations, Raticate is described as being a rather skilled swimmer, but this element doesn't really translate into the game as the only Water-type move it possesses, at least in Generation VI, is Rain Dance. Its other features are its long tail, that's a more traditional rat tail compared to the cute tail Rattata had (and probably meant to be slippery and better for underwater movement), its whiskers used for balance, and of course its huge teeth which it uses to perform the many "fang" moves. Raticate may not be that powerful overall, but as an early game Pokemon it can be pretty lethal thanks to its decent attack and speed, and possessing a decent range of rather damaging moves compared to most Pokemon around that time. Like Pidgeot, some of the later Regional Rodent Pokemon outclass it a bit, but I think Raticate is still considered pretty decent among them.

Unlike Rattata, Raticate really hasn't gained any memetic popularity and remains a rather average Pokemon whose only saving grace from obscurity is being one of the original 151. In the television show, Raticate's key moment was being traded for Butterfree, only for Ash to realize how mind-bendingly stupid that was and quickly traded him back. Rocket Rivals Butch and Cassidy also used a Raticate and it was set up as a foil to Meowth as their personal mascot (although unlike Meowth, who was a free Pokemon, Raticate was specifically owned by Cassidy) but this didn't stick---it only appeared three times, and never did much. But hey, it couldn't talk, so it was already falling behind Meowth.

So...the classic Regional Bird, and one of the Regional Bugs, recently got a Mega Evolution...could there be a Mega in Raticate's future as well?

StoneFox

I love my competitive Raticate. <3 When it comes to regional rodents I really like Kanto's. Ratatta is super cute while Raticate ends nuzlockes with its Hyper Fang apocalypse.

Top Bottom