• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Times when your muscle memory has messed you up on a game.

mrmickfran

You finish a game, then play something else in the same series or even genre. Your hands are very much used to the control scheme of the game that you just played that when you play the second game, a few alterations to the control scheme completely throw you off.

Going from Devil May Cry 3 to Devil May Cry 1
I played DMC3 first. Idk why, I just did. Completely normal control scheme, X to jump, stuff like that. I then play DMC1 and for some bizarre reason, triangle is the jump button. Freaking triangle. Hell, you can just change this to going from any game into DMC1. Nobody could've eased into that control scheme without automatically pressing X to jump. I still love the game though.

Going from any classic Mega Man game to Mega Man Anniversary Collection
In the NES games, A is jump, B is fire. Pretty normal right? Anniversary Collection decided to have it the opposite way. So you can imagine how that went.

Going from Mega Man Anniversary Collection to X Collection
X Collection actually had the regular A to jump, B to fire control scheme, but I played Anniversary Collection beforehand and had to unlearn that messed up control scheme.

Going from Persona 5 to Persona 4 Golden
Persona 5's control scheme is fantastic. Instead of scrolling through a menu, each face button does an assigned task, X to attack, square to use an item, triangle to summon a Persona, etc. I played Golden afterwards and pressed triangle to summon a Persona and immediately went into rush mode so, gg.

Going from Dark Souls to Bloodborne
Press triangle to two-hand a weapon in Bloodborne, uses blood vial by accident. Whoops.

Going from Bloodborne to Dark Souls 3
Enemy in DS3 attacks me, I immediately run towards it and attack it to regain health like in Bloodborne. Only, that doesn't work in DS3 and I pay for it dearly.

What about you guys?

Going from Splatoon 1 to Splatoon 2. They changed jump from X to B and also you can't look at the map on your Gamepad anymore. I still look at my ProController sometimes....

Krakn3Dfx

I put 100+ hours into Just Cause 2, and for weeks after anytime I was playing an open world 3rd person game, I kept subconsciously trying to shoot a grappling hook to get to higher ground.

Ogodei

For the first few days of playing I kept hitting "X" to jump in Splatoon 2.

They moved it to B. The bastards.

Yup. Funnily it hurts me more in Inkopolis than in battle, because i always liked to hop around Inkopolis and now i stop dead when i open the menu. X in battle at least lets you keep moving.

Playing Kingdom Hearts 1 as a kid really threw me off. Jumping on Circle and attacking on X was very odd to me, who grew up on the likes of Spyro and Crash Bandicoot when you jumped on X and attacked on Circle.

Final Fantasy VII too, but at least you could re-map the controls there!

ghibli99

Any game that requires many repeated attempts to complete something. I end up making the same mistakes, hitting buttons at the wrong time, moving in the same direction as before... like fighting tough bosses in Souls games, time trials in the Crash remaster, finishing levels in Super Meat Boy, Temple levels in the DKCR/TF games, etc.

I was bouncing back between Horizon: Zero Dawn and Zelda: Breath of the Wild when they came out and I kept screwing up bow and arrow attacks and stuff.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Going from Splatoon 1 to Splatoon 2. They changed jump from X to B and also you can't look at the map on your Gamepad anymore. I still look at my ProController sometimes....

I do miss being able to glance down and get an immediate idea of how the map looks inkwise.

Aurongel

Any time I switch to and from the Switch. I'm now trying to jump in Splatoon by hitting X.

All consoles should have OS-level input mapping.

Doesn't have to do with control differences or going from one game to another, but the other day I was playing Rainbow Six:Siege and trying out Blitz, who uses a riot shield. When I got surprised by an enemy I reflexively tried to aim down sights to shoot him, which is not what you're supposed to do with Blitz when an enemy is shooting at you.

So I died.

A little closer to what you said though is when I go from any game to Shadow of the Colossus controls, and vice versa.

Zeta Oni

Going from Halo (where grenades are usually LT) to any shooter than has Iron Sights (which are normally assigned to LT by default) takes a minute to adjust.

Floody

Played through a few Yakuza games at the start of the year and decided to replay Sleeping Dogs when I was done, was a mistake. Would constantly keep pressing triangle (which is a counter button is SD) to continue a combo and would just lose all my health due to the game punishing you by makin your character do a stupid animation if you press triangle at the wrong time. Had to drop the game for months to stop it from happening, only now getting back to it, still occasionally doing it.

jobrro

I grew up on Street Fighter style controls.

Find it next to impossible to get used to Mortal Kombat/Injustice style controls.

Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers were fine though, so I don't know.

Edit: Also if you move from Nintendo to or from Xbox/PC with and Xbox controller and a prompt/QTE comes up it is so easy to mess up.

Not a game but I also I recently moved from a US PS4 to Japanese PS4 Pro. Still mostly use US/Australian games/apps so need to get used to the X/O confirm/cancel switch between OS and games/applications. It's mostly fine now but surprised you can't change it in options (besides completely remapping things which doesn't solve things).

Crayolan

I tried playing Splatoon shortly after finishing Breath of the Wild and I just could not do it. Going from holding down a button to activate gyro aiming to always being in control of the camera via gyro was too difficult. After a few weeks I was able to play just fine again.

Going from Tony Hawk Pro Skater (1/2) to then playing SSX. Different sports, but my brain expected similar results when playing. Took a while to mentally rewire.

devonodev

Played Halo for first time in years, kept trying to look down my scope before shooting, kept throwing grenades all the time.

Blam

CSGO All day everyday.

Same with PUBG I keep doing things I know won't work in either game yet it keeps happening lol.

I mained Jin from since the first BlazBlue. Well, the jump from Continuum Shift Extended to Central Fiction fucked me. They changed a lot of his moves and inputs around and all those years of muscle memory became worthless. I can't play him anymore. It's so frustrating.

PSqueak

Banned
As someone who constantly switches from Battleborn to Overwatch and viceversa, i often try to melee attack with the wrong button.

The homing attack in Sonic Unleashed is mapped to boost and not jump like every other 3D Sonic, so I end up falling forward to my death from time to time

And everytime I try and play older Mario Karts since all I used in 8 were inner drifting bikes

The first hours of Breath of the Wild.

When is jump ever the top button?

Devil May Cry 1 and Splatoon 1

OP, you already mentioned P5 and P4 for me.
Gonna go with Xbox One vs Nintendo hardware. X and Y are reversed so I keep messing up or looking down at the controller whenever I play an Xbox game.

Timeaisis

This is becoming quite the "top button to jump" thread, huh?

For the first few days of playing I kept hitting "X" to jump in Splatoon 2.

They moved it to B. The bastards.

Oh thank god that wasn't just me compounding Breath of the Wild with Splatoon. I guess muscle memory. I don't even remember what "B" did in the original game?

Fighting games hands down. A more specific example is when Capcom intentionally adds a mash special to screw you up, like SWISS CHEESE Wolverine got in UMVC3 and Chun-Li in SF5 getting lightning legs off a mash again in season 2. It really sucks since the light punck/kick are their fastest normals and getting the special out accidentally can get you killed.

Top Bottom