• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Falcon 9 Launch: SES-10. Reusability is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezbollah

6rSFPcW.png

SpaceX's Falcon 9 is scheduled to launch at in a window between 18:27 and 20:57 EST (22:27 and 00:57 UTC) today. This is the fourth launch of Falcon 9 in 2017, and the 32nd launch of Falcon 9.

What is the mission?

Falcon 9 v1.2 will launch from Kennedy Space Center pad LC-39A to send SES-10 into a geostationary transfer orbit (GTO) for SES, a provider of secure satellite and ground communications solutions.

Reusability is here? It's finally happening, isn't it?

Yes it is. This is the most important launch in SpaceX's young history. It's the first time a previously launched first stage is going to be flown again. This is history in the making, a massive leap in space launch reusability compared to that shown by the Space Shuttle.

Where did this flown first stage come from?

The first stage being flown in this launch was the one previously recovered having launched in the NASA CRS-8 mission to resupply the International Space Station. This core, F9-33 made history itself by being the first rocket to land on a drone ship, which you can see here

What is the big picture here? Why is this such a big deal?

Sending stuff into space is super inefficient and costly. You spend millions into making a rocket to launch, throwing most of it away to burn up in the atmosphere to send a payload into orbit. The average cost to send one pound of anything to the International Space Station is $10,000, for example. By re-using part of your launch vehicle, like SpaceX are trying to do, it should and will reduce the cost of sending stuff into space. It opens up many possibilities for the commercial market by making things cheaper. The same theory of rocket reuse will eventually be used in sending humans to Mars - but that's a whooooole other story for some time in the future..

Will this reused first stage be attempting a landing?

Yes it will! Unlike the last mission to GTO, this launch profile and payload allows for the margins to attempt a landing. So the east coast drone ship "Of Course I Still Love You" will be stationed 646km downrange from the launch pad.

Where can I watch the launch?

As usual, you can watch SpaceX's coverage on Youtube with the Hosted Webcast or Technical Webcast

UPDATE!

Total mission success!

- The first stage, that had previously launched NASA's CRS-8 mission, successfully launched SES-10 and landed on "Of Course I Still Love You"
- Successful second stage deployment of SES-10 into geostationary transfer orbit.

Today was a good day.

devilhawk

Sending stuff into space is super inefficient and costly. You spend millions into making a rocket to launch, throwing most of it away to burn up in the atmosphere to send a payload into orbit. The average cost to send one pound of anything to the International Space Station is $10,000, for example. By re-using part of your launch vehicle, like SpaceX are trying to do, it should and will reduce the cost of sending stuff into space. It opens up many possibilities for the commercial market by making things cheaper. [B]The same theory of rocket reuse will eventually be used in sending humans to Mars[/B] - but that’s a whooooole other story for some time in the future.. [/QUOTE]
Interesting. I don't think this gets enough play. Would this be for a potential second or third stage that lands on mars, is refueled, and can return to earth without a first stage due to the lesser atmosphere?

kami_sama

Already? I thought it was farther out.
Either way, I'm extremely excited!
When did the boister fly for the first time?

For an old fart like me, who, as a young boy, thought we'd be landing on Mars and colonize the rest of the solar system in the early 2000s , it's nice to see there are finally some advances in space tech.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
If they nail the landing using a reused stage one....daaayyum.

6-happy-gilmore-batting-cage-gif.gif

Daggoth

Is anyone else somewhat surprised that they're sending this up with an actual payload?

I mean ... yeah, these flights are expensive, I totally get it. But if I were the customer sending up a satellite with a slightly used rocket for the very first time ... oof.

It's a brave move and I hope it all goes well.

E-Cat

Is anyone else somewhat surprised that they're sending this up with an actual payload?

I mean ... yeah, these flights are expensive, I totally get it. But if I were the customer sending up a satellite with a slightly used rocket for the very first time ... oof.

I'd be more nervous if I were the insurer.

nekkid

The customer in this case was apparently very keen to be the first one launched on a reused rocket, despite the risks, and were offered a significant discount.

These things obviously get tested to buggery and it just successfully did it's static fire test the other day. In theory it's probably *more* well tested than their normal, new cores.

Viva la liquid fuel.

Par Score

I actually like to look at this the other way.

Your standard jet airliner flying you from London to New York will have undergone "anywhere between 1,800 and 3,300 hours of inflight testing before getting certified." When you fly somewhere, you are flying on a very, very, very used aircraft.

I would hope that it won't be long before getting to fly on a proven, well used rocket is seen as preferable to jumping straight on-top of a rocket that's never flown before.

Donos

Btw. what happened to the magical/impossible EM drive ? Got a bit quiet around it. Most articles online are from November 2016. Nasa/Darpa is probably already building a big carrier in secret :)

This tech is certainly also interesting for SpaceX.

Jezbollah

These things obviously get tested to buggery and it just successfully did it's static fire test the other day. In theory it's probably *more* well tested than their normal, new cores.

Viva la liquid fuel.

It would have had a full duration test at their facilities in Texas and a massive inspection prior to that. I think If I recall correctly, the core that launched JCSAT-14 (the one that landed after the first real high energy re-entry, that was too damaged to be considered to fly again, has had multiple full duration tests as well.

jett

D-Member
Really awesome this is finally happening. I wonder just how reusable their rockets are, how many launches can they withstand, and also how long it takes to get them usable again after they land.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I doubt the viability of this. Re-using the rockets probably involves some parts being repaired or replaced each time, and the more it's reused the higher the risks and potential costs.

Still think that filling up a tube with fuel and igniting it to lift things in space isn't the right way to do things. We need to find a new way to lift stuff.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Btw. what happened to the magical/impossible EM drive ? Got a bit quiet around it. Most articles online are from November 2016. Nasa/Darpa is probably already building a big carrier in secret :)

You don't hear anything because it doesn't exist and will never exist.

Par Score

I doubt the viability of this. Re-using the rockets probably involves some parts being repaired or replaced each time, and the more it's reused the higher the risks and potential costs.

Still think that filling up a tube with fuel and igniting it to lift things in space isn't the right way to do things. We need to find a new way to lift stuff.

That's several billion dollars and many of the worlds smartest people you're laying odds against.

Scepticism is healthy, but unfounded and blanket pessimism is not. SpaceX aren't doing this for kicks.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I have VIP tickets for this viewing and am flying in to Orlando today. This is the fulfillment of a lifelong dream. Just hope launch is not postponed!

Daggoth

Your standard jet airliner flying you from London to New York will have undergone "anywhere between 1,800 and 3,300 hours of inflight testing before getting certified." When you fly somewhere, you are flying on a very, very, very used aircraft.
That's kinda my point though. If they sent the same rocket up say 6, 7 times with dummy payloads, and everything was OK , I could see insurers (and customers, probably) having a lot more confidence with it.

It's just the fact that this is the very first time that this is being attempted with a particular bit of equipment that, up until this moment, was disposable, and it's being done with an actual payload. It's awesome but surprising to me. Gotta start somewhere I guess :(

Redders

Missed the last launch as it was too early, will we get an idea of the launch time later on in the day?

The window opens at 11:27pm for me so not sure how long I want/can to hang around for.

I have VIP tickets for this viewing and am flying in to Orlando today. This is the fulfillment of a lifelong dream. Just hope launch is not postponed!

You should have a decent chance because it's a pretty lengthy launch window (unlike some which have an instantaneous launch - ya miss it for whatever reason and you have to wait a whole day for the next one).

Jezbollah

Missed the last launch as it was too early, will we get an idea of the launch time later on in the day?

The window opens at 11:27pm for me so not sure how long I want/can to hang around for.

They will likely launch straight from the beginning of the launch window, but obviously things like weather plays an impact. They've already had to cut the window by 2hrs due to range unavailability.

Redders

They will likely launch straight from the beginning of the launch window, but obviously things like weather plays an impact. They've already had to cut the window by 2hrs due to range unavailability.

Okay cool I'll hope for that and a successful launch!

Trickster

It's been tested multiple times and has been shown to work. They just don't understand why.

I mean you're basically talking about something that no one understand how works, just that it does. Can't really expect weekly updates on something like that :p

That's kinda my point though. If they sent the same rocket up say 6, 7 times with dummy payloads, and everything was OK , I could see insurers (and customers, probably) having a lot more confidence with it.

It's just the fact that this is the very first time that this is being attempted with a particular bit of equipment that, up until this moment, was disposable, and it's being done with an actual payload. It's awesome but surprising to me. Gotta start somewhere I guess :(

because its 62 million dollars to launch the rocket with ANYTHING on it. They cant just half ass it. Elon is rich, but not throw away 62 million just to be sure rich.

I didn't realize they were going to attempt another landing with this stage. This is going to be so awesome.

The plan is to have the latest F9 last 10 flights (which is far more than 10 fires). The Mars transporter, the ITS, is meant to be able to do hundreds. That's the plan, anyway.

andycapps

If you can think of another way to get large payloads into space and break through earth's atmosphere and gravitational pull then I'm sure NASA, SpaceX, and Blue Origins are all ears.

This is really exciting. I know they've been talking about this being their goal but to get to the point of reusing a rocket is huge.

nekkid

If you can think of another way to get large payloads into space and break through earth's atmosphere and gravitational pull then I'm sure NASA, SpaceX, and Blue Origins are all ears.

This is really exciting. I know they've been talking about this being their goal but to get to the point of reusing a rocket is huge.

I wonder if we can do it with love and positive thoughts.

zeshakag

Not only that, this medium of space flight just got a lot cheaper and hence more desirable with reusability. I know it's going to be way cheaper for the flight provider, and this specific flight's price was IIRC 20% cheaper.

Krakatoa

Not entirely true, you aren't hearing about the Emdrive because people are still running tests. They want to be sure of the results (positive or negative) before they release more info to the public.

There's some testing hopefully going on this weekend.

Crispy75

Lifting is the easy bit. You can ride a balloon nearly all the way to space. It's the going sideways at 30,000km/h bit that's tricky. To go fast in one direction you need to spew stuff fast in the other. The only thing hotter/more efficient than burning fuel with liquid oxygen is a nuclear reactor (hotter than any flame can ever be). As you can imagine, there are some niggling issues with accelerating active nuclear reactors to 30,000km/h

Short of magic or the space elevator (which is nearly magic), it's barely-contained explosions for the foreseeable.

Lifting is the easy bit. You can ride a balloon nearly all the way to space. It's the going sideways at 30,000km/h bit that's tricky. To go fast in one direction you need to spew stuff fast in the other. The only thing hotter/more efficient than burning fuel with liquid oxygen is a nuclear reactor (hotter than any flame can ever be). As you can imagine, there are some niggling issues with accelerating active nuclear reactors to 30,000km/h

Short of magic or the space elevator (which is nearly magic), it's barely-contained explosions for the foreseeable.

I think this is what a lot of people don't necessarily understand - that just having energy isn't enough, unless you happen to want to be moving away from whatever the closest large source of light energy is. Momentum is generated by an equal and opposite force - namely chucking mass out the back of something. To get through the atmosphere you need to do this quickly in order to overcome gravity and wind resistance but even in space you still need to throw mass out the back to actually generate velocity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom