• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artist spotlighted by NYT and Vice is plagairizing anime and manga

Futureman

I think this somewhat exonerates her, unless you're also mad at Warhol for ripping off Campbell's. But what even is this? Tracing a bunch of random works and throwing them all together? I don't know much about art, but this just strikes me as shit. It offers no commentary, it's just "hey, here's Bart Simpson and Gundam and the Wikipedia logo. ART!"

Campbell's soup can was just a can before Warhol though. This woman is tracing other artist's works. Sure I understand the remix nature of her work seeing the entire piece now but come on. Illustration is just a hobby for me but the most exciting thing is creating something entirely original out of nothing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Art

download-1.jpg

PSqueak

Banned
She also does one of the cringiest things I've seen in the art world. Taking pokemon and sailor moon and putting them in old paintings....

Are we talking about crude photoshops of the original paintings or completely redrawing the classic picture with modern characters?

Because those are very different things and i have seen people do the later with incredible skill.

lol you guys didn't even look at the piece did you? Just saw a small snippet in a tweet and then acted like everyone else on social media... Have no clue what you're even talking about, but gotta instantly react based on pure pure sweet emotions. Everyone on the internets is just dying to know how you feel.

Hopeford

Don't worry if you miss your last chance to catch her art, next week I'm hosting an all original installation.

VOtkBXJ.png

Original Artwork Copyright 2017 me do not steal!

I mean, the way you made me laugh with the dog placement should qualify as art in all frankness. Because holy shit I laughed really hard at that.

Ban Puncher

lol you guys didn't even look at the piece did you? Just saw a small snippet in a tweet and then acted like everyone else on social media... Have no clue what you're even talking about, but gotta instantly react on based on pure pure sweet emotions.

That small snippet of tracing has been taken totally out of context of the entire artwork consisting of many pieces of tracing.

lol you guys didn't even look at the piece did you? Just saw a small snippet in a tweet and then acted like everyone else on social media... Have no clue what you're even talking about, but gotta instantly react based on pure pure sweet emotions. Everyone on the internets is just dying to know how you feel.
So did she ever give credit where it’s due when she made her shitty collage?

You can take from other artists as long as you actually cite where you got it from. This is basic

That small snippet of tracing has been taken totally out of context of the entire artwork consisting of many pieces of tracing.

I think the key thing is she's not trying to take credit for the design. I still don't think that the overall piece is good, but she is owning up to the fact that this part of the design is not her original work.

So did she ever give credit where it's due when she made her shitty collage?

You can take from other artists as long as you actually cite where you got it from. This is basic

Wow. Are you guys doing this just because she's a woman? Literally, you have an issue here with a large chunk of the art community. Not this one person. Maybe you should talk to someone about these emotions you're having. It's unhealthy.

I'm not even saying she is a good artist. Jesus christ... And I thought this place was slightly better than twitter before.

Wow. Are you guys doing this just because she's a woman? Literally, you have an issue here with a large chunk of the art community. Not this one person. Maybe you should talk to someone about these emotions you're having. It's unhealthy.

And I'm not even saying she is a good artist. Jesus Christ, and thought this place was slightly better than twitter before.

Settle down. Your jimmies are so rustled you can't even have a discussion.

see5harp

I'd need to see the overall concept of the piece to judge but I almost subconsciously respect collage artists less than people who illustrate or paint their own material. Not sure if that's fair but I think most people think this way.

And I'm not even saying she is a good artist. Jesus christ,... And thought this place was slightly better than twitter before.
No? I’m going in on her because she’s an example of another White artist stealing from a PoC artist.

I'm not even saying she is a good artist. Jesus christ... And I thought this place was slightly better than twitter before.

How did you remotely get to that conclusion?

jwhit28

Does there exist a system in the art world where the source of "samples" are given credit and royalties like in music?

Oberon

Banned

Excuse me?
What artist with self respect straight up copies stuff without crediting the orignal artist. It's not even "getting inspired by" level here. Unless you see things everyone else isn't seing here. And what part of those comments were even remotly sexist for you to react that way?

Okay, I'm done here.

LOL, yeah run away instead of explaining your point. And you're saying WE are being emotional.

How did you remotely get to that conclusion?

Because of the fake rage over this artist doing something that is common practice. You might not like the practice, but why are you exactly so annoyed about it with this artist? Either because it's a woman or people here just feel they have to react to everything they read if they know anything about the subject or not. Either one will make you look stupid.

Excuse me?
What artist with self respect straight up copies stuff without crediting the orignal artist. It's not even "getting inspired by" level here. Unless you see things everyone else isn't seing here. And what part of those comments were even remotly sexist for you to react that way?

Okay, I'm done here. Have a good day.

Lulubop

White knight chronicles. Like what?

Anything related to modern art brings out the most compulsive kneejerk reactions from social media and gaf. Despite over a hundred years of worth of recursive movements and reactions, the average person probably assumes what they immediately think of when they see an image is the entire context of a piece. It's just a lost cause.

Somewhere, DuChamp is laughing in his grave.

Vuci

Did anyone even bother to read the NY Times article?

Her craft and statement are unbelievably shitty that you'd expect someone to grow out of after their first year at Pratt, but there's a huge context for the use of readymade imagery in gallery work.

Tweets without context are fun to be outraged over, but it's less about being a thief and more about being shitty.

What is 'shitty'? Oh no she appropriated Bart Simpson? I don't get it. What is shitty about what she did? What is shitty about your examples? That's just modern art for you... but, 'shitty'?

Because of the fake rage over this artist doing something that is common practice. You might not like the practice, but why are you exactly so annoyed about it with this artist? Either because it's a woman or people here just feel they have to react to everything they read if they know anything about the subject or not. Either one will make you look stupid.

Okay, I'm done here. Have a good day.
If we’re so uninformed about the subject of plagiarism “in the arts” when castorgallery itself is a no-name art gallery in NYC, then please inform us.

El Odio

Banned
Since people are saying that because the image in the OP is fine since it's part of a college you can also check this persons post compiling a lot instances where she uses other peoples work or just straight up reposts it under the context of it being originally by her.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Since people are saying that because the image in the OP is fine since it's part of a college you can also check this persons post compiling a lot instances where she uses other peoples work or just straight up reposts it under the context of it being originally by her.
Wow, she steals everything.

Good on that Tumblr user for compiling all the instances of fuckery. Hope that Hayes gets shunned from the self-respecting art community for this

jett

D-Member

This is just hilarious (and kinda sad)

tumblr_inline_owlea1p5st1ql9em5_500.png

tumblr_inline_owleb11cWs1ql9em5_500.png

Yeah, the OP isn't a great example because I wouldn't classify a collage of pop culture pieces as theft. But the other examples where she just flat out says "this is mine" when it's clearly someone else's are egregious. She's a no-talent ass-clown.

Top Bottom