• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artist spotlighted by NYT and Vice is plagairizing anime and manga

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
To the people complaining that this is part of a collage. There is a difference between this and what Andy Warhol did with the Campbell Soup Cans and what she did with Bart Simpson. The latter two are distinct very well known subjects that would not be thought of as original pieces in or outside of a collage.

Shintaro Kago's piece is a unique piece of art that they themselves made. The public would not know that this isn't an original piece done by her.

jph139

I legitimately don't know enough about art to know what crosses the line into plagiarism. Is there any accepted standard or are we playing fast and loose here?

Oberon

Banned
Anything related to modern art brings out the most compulsive kneejerk reactions from social media and gaf. Despite over a hundred years of worth of recursive movements and reactions, the average person probably assumes what they immediately think of when they see an image is the entire context of a piece. It's just a lost cause.

Somewhere, DuChamp is laughing in his grave.

If your art piece needs it's own paragraph of context for it to make sense, then maybe it's not a very effective piece of art. If you want to make your own little post modern art piece so you can feel unique and special then it's fine, but don't steal other people's stuff and call it "Art"

Since people are saying that because the image in the OP is fine since it's part of a college you can also check this persons post compiling a lot instances where she uses other peoples work or just straight up reposts it under the context of it being originally by her.

This helps put into words why I don't feel this is an acceptable usage of other's works. There's a difference between taking a logo or an iconic character and using them in your work (no one will ever assume you created them) versus wholesale tracing obscure and unknown works, with no attributions or credits to the original artists (people are more likely to think that was your original creation).

Tracing has its place, both in collages/derivative works and as a useful exercise for practice, but you always want to credit the original artist (and preferably get permission first) if you use their work like that. Seeing as she straight up takes credit for other people's work on her social media, I don't feel like I can give her the benefit of the doubt in just being ignorant about plagiarisation.

For Exposure has some examples of this, sometimes artists have to fight tooth and nail to get people not to repost w/o sources or to straight out stop pretending that they drew it.

Keasar

I think this somewhat exonerates her, unless you're also mad at Warhol for ripping off Campbell's. But what even is this? Tracing a bunch of random works and throwing them all together? I don't know much about art, but this just strikes me as shit. It offers no commentary, it's just "hey, here's Bart Simpson and Gundam and the Wikipedia logo. ART!"

Sounds like 95% of modern art right there to me. :p

Painting_by_Dina_Brodsky_9.jpg

Contrast filter should do the trick.

tumblr_inline_owm1h5WVfI1ql9em5_540.png

Is she fucking for real?

LOL

To the people complaining that this is part of a collage. There is a difference between this and what Andy Warhol did with the Campbell Soup Cans and what she did with Bart Simpson. The latter two are distinct very well known subjects that would not be thought of as original pieces in or outside of a collage.

Shintaro Kago's piece is a unique piece of art that they themselves made. The public would not know that this isn't an original piece done by her.
Warhol ran into copyright law too. He ended up having to settle out of court because he used a woman’s photograph of flowers for his print.
Andy Warhol was not so fortunate after he created his Flowers series. In 1966, he became the subject of a lawsuit brought on by photographer, Patricia Caufield for the use of her photos of hibiscus flowers. The suit was settled out of court, but as a result Warhol decided that he would rather use his own images when he could, which inadvertently launched him into experimenting with a new medium — photography.
http://revolverwarholgallery.com/andy-warhol-art-appropriation/

I’m not entirely sure why art appropriation is given a pass when musicians, writers, etc. would be completely stoned for lifting passages and production from another person without giving royalties.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not entirely sure why art appropriation is given a pass when musicians, writers, etc. would be completely stoned for lifting passages and production from another person without giving royalties.

Yeah, with song sampling, if it's too much they're forced to give credit to the original songwriter as well. To basically steal visual art from someone and use it in something that I don't even know is transformative in a meaningful way seems really shitty behaviour. Particularly in this case when her behaviour seems pathological.

Madness

You sound like a nice guy.

Only one of us is playing the 'nice guy' role and it is not me. I am tired of white mediocrity hyped up like crazy, and yet another white person building themselves or their career on the back of people of colour yet again.

Tell me again if NYT and others will give Shintaro Kago a spotlight like they gave this white woman. People are tired. You can deflect as much as you want but increasingly we're not buying it anymore.

Only one of us is playing the 'nice guy' role and it is not me. I am tired of white mediocrity hyped up like crazy, and yet another white person building themselves or their career on the back of people of colour yet again.

Tell me again if Vice and NYT will give Shintaro Kago a spotlight like they gave this white woman. People are tired. You can deflect as much as you want but increasingly we're not buying it anymore.
It’s just funny when the other “legendary artists” that were posted in this thread are all... White too.

If your art piece needs it's own paragraph of context for it to make sense, then maybe it's not a very effective piece of art.
This is completely antithetical to almost every piece of fine arts since ww2.

Either this is a a statement about the grotesque bombing of civilians by a rising fascist empire, drawn in a style that references early Iberian art, riddled with symbolic iconography, breaking down the form into an abstraction of shapes that still follow tight compositional rules -- itself, part of a larger movement away from rigid modernist art from decades prior as painting further differentiated itself from photography.

Or, "Huh. What a weirdly drawn horse."

All of this is a lengthy aside to that artist making BuzzFeed-caliber quirky art in a dime a dozen gallery.

lol my god.

I'm kind of split on this. But the whole topic is kind of giving off gamer gate vibes. Actually, it's about ethics in artistic appropriation.

At the end of the day, you can't knock the hussle, and an artist is able to charge whatever they want dependent on their perceived value.

If you're a connoisseur you're going to see the obvious lifts from other work. And maybe not care because you like the kind of montage and are willing to pay that much for it. If you're not, then buy at your own risk.

I mean, if the artist is literally stating in their artistic notes or preface to their work with "Yes i created this, this is all original work by me, and i'm not doing montages of other pieces of art to create a grandiose piece"

Then that's a problem. But otherwise, CAN'T KNOCK THE HUSSLE.

Madness

lol my god.

I'm kind of split on this. But the whole topic is kind of giving off gamer gate vibes. Actually, it's about ethics in artistic appropriation.

At the end of the day, you can't knock the hussle, and an artist is able to charge whatever they want dependent on their perceived value.

If you're a connoisseur you're going to see the obvious lifts from other work. And maybe not care because you like the kind of montage and are willing to pay that much for it. If you're not, then buy at your own risk.

I mean, if the artist is literally stating in their artistic notes or preface to their work with "Yes i created this, this is all original work by me, and i'm not doing montages of other pieces of art to create a grandiose piece"

Wtf am I reading here. Calling out white appropriation of works of art by people of colour,how she does not acknowledge her theft, being praised for her theft, is gamer gate?

I can't believe this is really how the art world works, is it?

Everything else that springs to mind for me, such blatant plagarism would require you to cite the works you're basing your stuff off of, not do it and hope you don't get caught.

chekhonte

Does anybody even know if she's actually trying to pass these images off as her own?

And if you think she's bad you should see Andy Warhol's Campbell's Soup cans.

EDIT: Goddamn it, it's even part of a pop culture collage. I can't believe I posted in this garbage thread.

People have shown receipts on the extent of her plagiarism. She does zero attribution and claims it as her own original work. She never once uses the word 'appropriation,' that's the gallery in its complicity with the scam. Your equivalence is steaming hot shit.

Yeah with that link for example

"she's using work for lesser known, niche authors and media who never come up mentioned because it's very obvious she was expecting to not be found (and has very little to no respect for them). "

So her whole schtick is lifting pieces of art and collarging them, and she's not just using sailor moon, but "lesser" artists, and claiming those lesser artists work as her own.

I just haven't seen any kind of statement, where she's saying "this is my own".

Linking on an instragram account - well that's a blog right? I just haven't seen her explicitly state "This is my own shit".

I mean if her work as an artist is just lifting other peoples work and collarging them, that's fine to me. I just haven't seen her say it yet, I am bad at trawling social media though.

Wtf am I reading here. Calling out white appropriation of works of art by people of colour,how she does not acknowledge her theft, being praised for her theft, is gamer gate?

I just assumed this kind of thing was always happening in the art world. There are other mentions in the thread of similiar practices.

SeanC

All of this is a lengthy aside to that artist making BuzzFeed-caliber quirky art in a dime a dozen gallery.

That's my thing, I've seen this exact same style and art all over the place, so why is this one selling for thousands and getting profiles? They're all doing the same lazy schtick, it would be like making @Thefatjewish a headliner.

If it's your thing, it's your thing, go buy the Sailor Moon piece even though you're not really buying something that's Sailor Moon and supporting it. I's not really saying or doing anything unique. When Warhol took pop culture elements and monetized it, it was in itself saying something about consumerism and how we idolize the things we consume. This artist is just doing scrapbooking of things that might sell.

But when you're white you have the privilege and that circle to say "here you go, ma'am, right this way." What's more is her reaction to the criticism. She's not engaging in a dialogue here, she's literally saying "hahaha, look at all these trolls" and "my references are fab, lol."

I'm not giving an artist the benefit of the doubt and not admiring any hustle if she can't even say "This is why I'm doing this." Or give me a reason why her taking something from Japan is meant to say something. She's the equivalent of a Family Guy cutaway gag. Fuck her and her shitty attitude.

Top Bottom