• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artist spotlighted by NYT and Vice is plagairizing anime and manga

Garuroh

wtf why are people white knighting her when she literally posted images from Dina Brodsky,Hillock and siwasunookina without even tracing them, she literally right clicked them, saved them and uploaded them in her instagram

Man is your brain a Olympic athlete, because thats some fucking mental gymnastics right there.

If you want to claim that she's doing a college or some shit so it's ok for that to exist the may I refer you to Trojita's post

But it should be ok because she moved the brush slightly and added some contrast. She didn't explicitly state it's hers, so she can use it if she wants.

Ok so, so now actually land the point your trying to make, link me to the store front that she is selling that piece specifically, please. Specifically that image in that link you put out.

Cos there's a difference between what you're doodelling on instagram and what you're actually selling, id assume

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
wtf why are people white knighting her when she literally posted images from Dina Brodsky,Hillock and siwasunookina without even tracing them, she literally right clicked them, saved them and uploaded them in her instagram

She's pretty and...well that's about it really?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ok so, so now actually land the point your trying to make, link me to the store front that she is selling that piece specifically, please. Specifically that image in the link.
tenor.gif

I'm going to need a drink after this one.

So pop art is making money with art despite the completely lack of artistic talent and vision or how I'm supposed to understand the "it's pop art" posts?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Since people are saying that because the image in the OP is fine since it's part of a college you can also check this persons post compiling a lot instances where she uses other peoples work or just straight up reposts it under the context of it being originally by her.
That’s pretty interesting. Lame shit.

I will say that personally, I think a person could say something interesting with childlike tracings of pop-culture (tracing being a thing loaded with baggage) but it doesn’t seem like that is what she is doing.

Lame.

Main example in the OP Maddie the conversation. Her other “work” is definitely thievery.

Garuroh

And lmao how many people knew the artist and that specific piece before this thread? it's not the same as fucking Bart Simpson or Gundam.

She didn't actually add the dog individually, the piece is part of a bigger collage.

Maybe NSFW?

This fuller context changes the connotation considerably. I mean, I think that looks awful, but it’s clearly a pop-culture mash-up that’s in line with a lot of other modern art I’ve seen rather than simple forgery/plagiarism.

Yea this provides a lot of context and I'd say changes the situation. Mixing pop imagery like this is a common and accepted thing. Do artists that normally do this though cite and credit every single piece and component under their collage?

As for the oil bird one. I don't even understand what's happening there. She's passing off the whole screenshot as her own? Did she digitally alter the two brushes?

There's no problem with making collages or modifying existing works, but when you lift so much from an existing work you should cite the original artist.

Cause they keep focusing on just the collage for whatever reason, and keep trying to pretend none of that other stuff exists, even when it's pointed out to them.

Pretty damn fishy that they manage to find the posts in the thread that point out that this particular work is part of a collage, but magically manage to miss every single post that points out that this is NOT, in fact, some one-off thing for the collage, but a consistent pattern of behavior. Makes absolutely no sense to me how people keep wandering in here, and becoming aware of one but not the other.

Pastiche and collage are perfectly accepted forms of art, and there's great stuff out there, so, I wouldn't hate too much on the artist, but maybe hate more on the gallery and the PR machine that pushed her to the front?

Ok so, so now actually land the point your trying to make, link me to the store front that she is selling that piece specifically, please. Specifically that image in that link you put out.

Cos there's a difference between what you're doodelling on instagram and what you're actually selling, id assume

Probably not the same image (I'm too lazy to backtrack through the conversation) but she has a history of selling copies http://samrolfes.tumblr.com/post/90487103391/look-at-this-shit-hayes-ripping-off-hillock
The original poster said he only found out later that she wanted to sell the painting she did of it, and he didn't find out from her.

She legit just painted over every element of the first image, I don't see what's different about it to be considered transformative. At least with music that uses samples they'll distort the original music somehow, or mix it in with different beats. And of course provide proper attribution.

I remember how Ilya Kuvshinov was accused of plagiarism, tracing etc. Everybody forgot about it and he makes $3,231 per week on Patreon lol.

Examples here

This is extra dumb to me because you can just say it's a trace. No one really gives a shit, as long as you're honest about it. There are tons of artists I follow who do "screen redraws" where you pull something from an episode of a show and redraw it in your style. But they take care to indicate that the composition is not original (and provide the original screenshot for comparison), so they don't get in trouble for it. It's not hard, don't try to pass of something that isn't yours.... as yours..........

Probably not the same image (I'm too lazy to backtrack through the conversation) but she has a history of selling copies http://samrolfes.tumblr.com/post/90487103391/look-at-this-shit-hayes-ripping-off-hillock
The original poster said he only found out later that she wanted to sell the painting she did of it, and he didn't find out from her.

She legit just painted over every element of the first image, I don't see what's different about it to be considered transformative. At least with music that uses samples they'll distort the original music somehow, or mix it in with different beats. And of course provide proper attribution.

Because the point I was making, there's a difference between your Instragram blog. And your actual store front.

I managed to find her storefront, and the shit she's actually selling. *Actually selling*. You can see the references pretty starkly. Is this oil paining or what?

That doesn't look too bad. But I certainly got that reference

El Sloth

Banned
Because of the fake rage over this artist doing something that is common practice. You might not like the practice, but why are you exactly so annoyed about it with this artist? Either because it's a woman or people here just feel they have to react to everything they read if they know anything about the subject or not. Either one will make you look stupid.

Okay, I'm done here. Have a good day.

Bro. Come on. Look at this: https://twitter.com/annarose_draws/status/921052982061363200

She literally just downloaded some japanese artist's work and then reuploaded it to her own personal instagram account. With no accreditation, seemingly passing it off as her own. Is that really common practice? Really? I understand what you're getting at – there are definitely some other uglier motives behind some of the backlash. I see that. Don't just ignore that she's throwing other artists under the bus for her own gain though. That's not cool.

Z3M0G

Her art is pretty meta...

It is not the visual pieces she is producing, it is the social media reaction...

Some day she will have a gallery and it will be photos of all the reaction tweets.

WarMacheen

Pastiche and collage are perfectly accepted forms of art, and there's great stuff out there, so, I wouldn't hate too much on the artist, but maybe hate more on the gallery and the PR machine that pushed her to the front?

and the stand alone stuff that looks like she literally traced it?

I'm trying to make the point that she stole the art piece and didn't source the image. In fact the post she made makes it sound like she made the piece.
"Lil bird painting" doesn't​ say "lil bird painting made by Dina Brodsky"

Also about that comment of where the image is being sold. An item does not have to be sold for it to be plagrism.
Do you need an example:

image.php

Check out this artwork I made.

I didn't make this work, and I'm plagiarizing the work because I'm claiming that this work is mine when it belongs to someone else.

Do know why web artist put their watermark or logo on their works. They do this to avoid people taking the art and posting it somewhere else without their credit, or plagrism.

Bro. Come on. Look at this: https://twitter.com/annarose_draws/status/921052982061363200

She literally just downloaded some japanese artist's work and then reuploaded it to her own personal instagram account. With no accreditation, seemingly passing it off as her own. Is that really common practice? Really? I understand what you're getting at – there are definitely some other uglier motives behind some of the backlash. I see that. Don't just ignore that she's throwing other artists under the bus for her own gain though. That's not cool.

Some will ignore this and the other posts for whatever reason.

It's odd.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Cause they keep focusing on just the collage for whatever reason, and keep trying to pretend none of that other stuff exists, even when it's pointed out to them.

Pretty damn fishy that they manage to find the posts in the thread that point out that this particular work is part of a collage, but magically manage to miss every single post that points out that this is NOT, in fact, some one-off thing for the collage, but a consistent pattern of behavior. Makes absolutely no sense to me how people keep wandering in here, and becoming aware of one but not the other.
Probably because the OP only highlights one example and post #18 is where the counter-example to the OP is. Most people don’t read 200+ replies before responding to the OP.

Soran

The composition in that collage is garbage, that's how you know a talentless hack like her didn't do the rest.

No one is buying her stuff for the artistic merits of her works. It's the internet persona that sells the stuff and neither her artistic integrity nor skills. It's basically a pointless discussion here.

orioto

Good Art™
We had that in France with Ideealize. It was worst cause she was just basically applying filters on works from other and selling it like crazy Warhol pop art for a lot of money.

Ideealizse01.png

Ideealizse03.png

And she was all "Yeah reproductive art has existed, Warhol etc." until the backlash was too big and she disappeared in a smoke cloud. No trace of her on internet now.

The worst with those artists is how they generally succeed cause of good relations and money. On a personal note, Ideealize, for exemple, was the big fad at some point and was officially featured at big gaming expo in France, Japan Expo if i remembered well.
Now me for example, who's been paying homage to videogames like nobody else for 10 years, they don't have any idea who i am, i can tell you.

Armaros

TIL: it doesn't count as plagarism if it's not sold in a gallery or store.

I guess all the people thoughout history that got punished for plagarism just were not smart enough to make that defense.

Edit: Even that laughable defense failed cause she DID sell someone else's work as her own. Amazing

Because the point I was making, there's a difference between your Instragram blog. And your actual store front.

I managed to find her storefront, and the shit she's actually selling. *Actually selling*. You can see the references pretty starkly. Is this oil paining or what?

That doesn't look too bad. But I certainly got that reference

She sold the art in the link I posted, and according to another source she tried to sell Maruo's art for $9500. Just because she has somewhat original art on her storefront doesn't absolve her of the times she did trace someone's work and resell it.

Also not giving the benefit of the doubt that more of her works on her storefront aren't heavily traced or lifted from more artwork that I'm unfamiliar with.

Kinyou

[Description on the storefront "From the DeMooning series (Sailor Mars), 2015"]

Are people really comparing instagram blogging to what she's actually selling on her Storefront?

A lot of her stuff is creddited to Sailor Moon... some of it aint so bad

That queen Victoria paining isn't bad you can have worse stuff in your living room.
Did you look at that link?

http://samrolfes.tumblr.com/post/90487103391/look-at-this-shit-hayes-ripping-off-hillock

L7NceND.jpg

She actually did take someones art from Instagram and then sold it without even notifying the artist

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This person is literally reposting other people's work as her own, completely wholesale. And she's doubling down by saying that anything posted on the internet belongs to her.

I don't see how this is defensible at all.

She sold the art in the link I posted, and according to another source she tried to sell Maruo's art for $9500. Just because she has somewhat original art on her storefront doesn't absolve her of the times she did trace someone's work and resell it.

Also not giving the benefit of the doubt that more of her works on her storefront aren't heavily traced or lifted from more artwork that I'm unfamiliar with.

I'd imagine 100% of her stuff is lifted to some degree. I'm not familiar with the mechanics of creating art at all, but I reckon that queen Victoria painting pops!

I dunno, you can trace with oil painting? or is she penciling first then painting between the lines lol.

Some of her storefront stuff is vastly different to the stuff on Instagram.

I guess some of this is about etiquette? But I reckon she's got some chops. But not for that kind of money anyway. $5,000 bucks? That's 5,000 lottery tickets!

Did you look at that link?

http://samrolfes.tumblr.com/post/90487103391/look-at-this-shit-hayes-ripping-off-hillock

L7NceND.jpg

She actually did take someones art from Instagram and then sold it without even notifying the artist

She's painting it though, right onto a canvas? That's what she does I guess, I mean if going by the rest of her stuff. She finding shit on the net, then paints it and floggs it.

Not trying to defend her at all, but as an artist that just draws freehand (sometimes fanart but never traces) I'm genuinely curious where the line is between transformative and plagiarism.

Some of the stuff posted here looks like downright plagiarism. Some of the examples though look like mashups, reproductions, etc.

Yeah, it's pretty art-school amateur behaviour. She found a marketable stick "the internet is mine", found people wanting to give her the PR and now something something profit.

The 1:1 traces and reposts will then be written about in art journals with terms like post-internet and digital native and exploring notions of ownership which will then drive her market price up, some banker bros will buy one of her things for like 100k and ship it of to an art freezer in a Freeport somewhere and the art PR interns at whatever lifestyle magazine wrote "spotlights" about her get upgraded to staff. Also, probably some insider trading mixed in for good measure (gallery paying for art spotlight).

Pretty usual art world day-2-day. It's very corrupt, cynical and delightfully unregulated. The Art these guys stand for is merely a luxury market without regulation plus a vehicle for gentrification.
Within that system whoever is tracing really is the least problematic person.

And comparing it to Andy Warhol's Campbells Soup cans as if that is remotely the same thing.

Top Bottom