• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SMT:Nocturne LTTP

Hi fellow GAF members! This will be my first thread, so I want to kick it off right!

First off, I'm a complete newbie to the SMT series. Having never played a game in the SMT series, I wanted to play a few titles that speak to me, as I've basically missed out on an entire series that's well known for having some great games among them.

maxresdefault.jpg

I completed Persona 5 this year, and was instantly hooked to the battle system, the demon negotiations and the aspect of filling out your compendium of cool demons. That was good enough reason to check out SMT:Nocturne which many say is one of the best SMT games in the series.

eca1574f5e7f3472dd8311abe0182b2a.jpg

I'm only about 4/5 hours in right now, and having a great time. The beginning is really strange, but I also did not know what to expect. I really like the artstyle in this game, even though it's a PS2 title it still looks nice thanks to it's cel shaded artstyle.

151226-Shin_Megami_Tensei_-_Nocturne_(USA)-1.jpg

So far I just hit up the Underpass, where the Manikin's live. So I'm not really far into the game yet but so far I'm loving it. The stramge vibe of the story and all the characters surrounding it really have me interested as to where the story is going. The visuals are awesome as well.

151226-Shin_Megami_Tensei_-_Nocturne_(USA)-7.jpg
81-SMT102.jpg

So yeah, loving this so far. The demon negotiations are really well done. So far I think I will try to spec in magic, and luck. I'm lvl 14 and my party consists of:

-High Pixie lvl 12
-Angel lvl 11
-Isora lvl 14

And I have a few others as backup like Will 'o Wisp, Hua Po, Lilim and Apsaras.

The music is pretty damn good so far as well, but that is to be expected if it's the same legendary composer :). Also I haven't died yet, so I guess I'm doing alright so far?

_Ryo_

Have watched some of a lets play (about 4 hours) but never played it myself. I want to play it someday. I really wish Atlus made an HD remaster. Really just have HD resolution, voice acting and better navigation (in addition to map at 3rd person exploration) and its sold instantly.

Some advice. Keep the Pixie that joins you, and if you choose to fuse her keep track of that demon. Though this really only matters if you do the Amala Network.

HeeHo

I prefer SMT3's game design style compared to modern Persona. This is one of my all time favorite jRPGs. The story isn't too intrusive, and there is plenty of gameplay, customizing and dungeon exploring.

Enjoyed how many demons had unique sound effects and text when you recruit them.

My heart would skip a beat to see SMT V on consoles in a somewhat similar style as this. (I have seen the Switch SMT announcement, but not much was shown)

In spite of the streamlining done in SMTIV, Nocturne is definitely the best SMT game. It was the best looking one imo until P5. The environment design was something inspired (and that feeling wasn't really replicated until Xenoblade). I like the story a lot even if it could be taken a bit further and refined. It's got some good closure and great end game ramp ups. It's the full package. Meguro's score is rad too.

Potentially the best RPG Atlus ever made outside Etrian Odyssey IV.

Oh, and OP, prepare yourself cause Shit's gonna go down soon.

10/10 RPG. The atmosphere is second to none. As far as story goes, this game goes to some really dark places and never stops being "weird" (it's what Atlus does best). The boss battles get more and more intense as well as the game goes along. The dungeons are also above the rest of what Atlus has made, I think. Also think it was Kazuma Kaneko's absolute peak as an artist. The Art Direction off him and the character art and Demon Art are all the best he's ever done. Is definitely one of my favourite Shoji Meguro soundtracks as well. So dark.
The game still lingers in my mind as the best JRPG I've played and the game that Atlus has yet to surpass. Oh how I wish I could forget this game experience and start afresh again like you, OP.

Euphony

Banned
I finished my first playthrough of Nocturne a couple of months ago and I really enjoyed my time with it and hopefully you do too. Some things in the game I felt were hard to go back to after playing the later SMT titles, but overall it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the game. It's a brilliant game and I think it holds up very well.

Also I haven't died yet, so I guess I'm doing alright so far?

Hehehe

Edit: Also there's a nice SMT community thread here on NeoGAF if you ever want to stop by

Top 10 JRPG ever and not one bit overhyped. I'm thinking of playing it on an emulator again if no remaster is announced in the next months. I remember being annoyed by the random skill transfer when fusing but other than that it's criminally good and one of the best of its era and of all time. I particularly like how it's gameplay first and story second (or at least told with less emphasis on drama and dialogue than contemporary JRPGs) which is a very modern approach actually and one I appreciate a lot. JRPGs needed to shut up way more often back in the day.

Poppy

there are too many random encounters even with estoma on and the characters largely suck

but the game kicks ass despite all of that

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Played it through myself for the first time a few years ago. Spent around 70 hours and even did all the optional stuff I loved it so much. It's wonderful and I will say not to stress out at all over demon loadout and fusions. There is a wide berth of leniency when it comes to how you arrange your team.

Although you will need an advantage against bosses(that will often take some trial and error to figure out weaknesses unless you use a guide), be aware that it is never really difficult to either find a demon to recruit nearby that is helpful or fuse one. Don't get too attached to specific demons and keep in mind that shuffling them is advantageous in most cases(though you played P5, so you are likely familiar).

Lynx_7

Hah, I had a similar transition as yours, OP. Finished P4, was immediately hooked and wanted to try the mainline series, tried Nocturne right after. Now it's one of my favorite games of all time. Enjoy the ride, just keep in mind it's a very different type of experience.

okita

Love the game , bought it on launch in 2004 , the soundtrack that came with it is amazing. Play it on Hard is an awesome experience.

Great game! Though I prefer SMTIV with its superior polish overall, but Nocturne's art direction and atmosphere is truly special.

Make sure you tackle the Labyrinth of Amala as you progress through the game.

guyssorry

One of the best games I have ever played. I think it is one of the most beautiful games ever, and it has aged so well. Such wonderful aesthetics (sound, music, visuals, designs, etc.). One of the few rpgs to come close to FF6 and Chrono Trigger, personally.

vvise

You are just about to meet your first test. It will make sure you understand the nuances of the combat system. It's a great game have fun!

D-Man

The GOAT of JRPGs. The aesthetic, the music, Demi-Fiend himself, all of it was just fantastic. I really hope Atlus remasters it someday cause this game really deserves it.

Zeroro

The only real antiquated part of the game is not being able to choose inherited skills when fusing. I spent a lot of time "re-rolling" for ideal skill sets.

That said, it really is the best mainline entry. It's got an atmosphere unlike any other SMT game and has a great (depressing!) setting/story, and it nails most things in its presentation and gameplay. I've gotta play it again at some point. I can't wait to see what's happening with that SMT game on the Switch even if I don't actually own one yet.

That maze section sucks, though. My one major gripe.

Waiting on the Final Exams to start for our friend soon...

The only real antiquated part of the game is not being able to choose inherited skills when fusing. I spent a lot of time "re-rolling" for ideal skill sets.

That said, it really is the best mainline entry. It's got an atmosphere unlike any other SMT game and has a great (depressing!) setting/story, and it nails most things in its presentation and gameplay. I've gotta play it again at some point. I can't wait to see what's happening with that SMT game on the Switch even if I don't actually own one yet.

PEBKAC problems require PEBKAC solutions, not misused adjectives.

I had the pleasure of being grabbed through a hell portal or something similar and Mr Matador challenged me to a duel :eek:. That sure was something! So this is what death feels like haha. I could not defeat him, but I will try again today.

I saw that if im lvl 18 i can fuse apsaras and one other I can make demon that repels force! So I'll try to go for that. Are there any magatama that have drain or resist force?

Euphony

Banned
I had the pleasure of being grabbed through a hell portal or something similar and Mr Matador challenged me to a duel :eek:. That sure was something! So this is what death feels like haha. I could not defeat him, but I will try again today.

I saw that if im lvl 18 i can fuse apsaras and one other I can make demon that repels force! So I'll try to go for that. Are there any magatama that have drain or resist force?

If you stop thinking of boss battles as simply a race to get their HP down and instead think of them as puzzles you solve with planning and execution, you'll have a lot more success and fun with them. Based on how you're already thinking about how to counter Matador you're on the right track!

The level 18 demon,
Ame no Uzume
, is a favorite of mine and one I used for a long time. And as for a magatama,
yes there is one that lets you protect against force spells. It's actually in the Underpass if you look hard enough!

In the Great Underpass of Ginza the junk vendor sells the Hifumi magatama. It has Void Force so you should pick that up.

Nocturne will beat it into your head to also use buffs and debuffs. Unlike games like Persona buffs/debuffs last the entire battle and stack up to 4 times. Matador is meant to hammer it home.

6c0.png

Fraxin

Not sure resisting force would be enough.

There might be something else you would need to do.
try to increase your party's speed (Sukukaja.)

vocab

Which maze section? Its not even a spoiler if you are that vague.

randomkid

I'm in the middle of my first replay in a decade, and, let's just say at one point I was honestly wondering why I had been playing other games all these years when I could have just been playing this.

You don't even need to be 18! (although yes your plan is a good one if you want to take the time for it).

In the room before your duel, there's a very helpful demon to recruit.
Nozuchi.
You also don't necessarily need force draining magatama if you think about the other way you're getting damaged during that fight. Also you already know the importance of debuffing so make sure you take advantage. Good luck!

I'm in the middle of my first replay in a decade, and, let's just say at one point I was honestly wondering why I had been playing other games all these years when I could have just been playing this.

You don't even need to be 18! (although yes your plan is a good one if you want to take the time for it).

In the room before your duel, there's a very helpful demon to recruit.
Nozuchi.
You also don't necessarily need force draining magatama if you think about the other way you're getting damaged during that fight. Also you already know the importance of debuffing so make sure you take advantage. Good luck!

Thanks man! Yeah I actually fused two other demons into a Nozuchi yesterday! I hope to defeat Matador today!

So in my preperation to fight Matador again I leveled to 18 so I can make Uzume, and I have a question. Can I fuse my starter High Pixie and Jack Frost to make them? I keep seeing people saying I should keep my high Pixie :p.

I also bought the force Magatama ^_^.

asagami_

Banned
So in my preperation to fight Matador again I leveled to 18 so I can make Uzume, and I have a question. Can I fuse my starter High Pixie and Jack Frost to make them? I keep seeing people saying I should keep my high Pixie :p.

Just don't sacrifice Pixie or her descendants, fusion her is fine.

You can, but pixie is one of the demons that transforms. If you do, just keep track of the demons you create from it, also don't sacrifice it.

Xbro

You can fuse the pixie. Just make sure you keep track of it. So if you fuse it into Ame no Uzume, know that the pixie is inside Ame no Uzume. If you fuse Ame no Uzume, know that your pixie is inside whatever you fuse it to.

I actually got extremely lucky when it came down to this. It asked me for my oldest demon and I thought it meant oldest demon that I had in my party, just so happened that it was the right one.

Hylian7

Glad you are enjoying it OP, it's one of the greatest RPGs of all time IMO. Easily my favorite SMT.

After you finish it, you should check out the rest of the series, there's a ton of great games both mainline and spin-off.

Atlantis

IIRC, even if you fuse Pixie, the demon you fused her into will always be the first demon listed in your party menu.

Helps to keep track of her.

DJChuy

I always enjoy reading people's first encounter with Matador.

Nocturne is my favorite SMT game. Nothing has come close to it yet. The demons have a lot of personality in this game, and the game oozes with atmosphere. Keep enjoying it OP.

Mupod

I always enjoy reading people's first encounter with Matador.

Nocturne is my favorite SMT game. Nothing has come close to it yet. The demons have a lot of personality in this game, and the game oozes with atmosphere. Keep enjoying it OP.

Nocturne was my first experience with SMT. My first Matador encounter went kind of like this:

"this must be one of those RPG fights you're supposed to lose"

"oh"

Hot damn I did it!! Took him down on my second attempt! I used a team of Uzume, Nozuchi and Blob, and I just kept up the heal and did mostly physical and ice attacks. None of his Force stuff did damage apart from the Blob. I am playing on normal but still, awesome!

Thanks for all the good tips so far :).

If you didn't notice already, try to keep Fog Breath on a party member for boss fights. It's the best debuff in the game as casting it twice causes many bosses to miss attacks and lose Press Turn Symbols in return. Plus you can use Sukukaja to make the difference in accuracy and evasion even bigger.

Great game though. The overall art direction and aesthetics are just amazing. I just wish the skill inheritance wasn't random, only real nitpick I have and the main reason I prefer the newer games.

If you didn't notice already, try to keep Fog Breath on a party member for boss fights. It's the best debuff in the game as casting it twice causes many bosses to miss attacks and lose Press Turn Symbols in return. Plus you can use Sukukaja to make the difference in accuracy and evasion even bigger.

Great game though. The overall art direction and aesthetics are just amazing. I just wish the skill inheritance wasn't random, only real nitpick I have and the main reason I prefer the newer games.

Fog breath is soooo OP, I love using it. Made sure my mc had it as soon as possible.

Should've played on hard, what a scrub smh

I did actually start a hard playthrough of Nocturne recently, it stopped as soon as it began. I basically got to where OP got. The fact the first combat encounters have a good chance of killing you if they get a crit made the first hour of playing the most not fun trial and error.

It's a good game if you can get into it OP, you're in for a treat if you enjoy it.

Euphony

Banned
Should've played on hard, what a scrub smh

I did actually start a hard playthrough of Nocturne recently, it stopped as soon as it began. I basically got to where OP got. The fact the first combat encounters have a good chance of killing you if they get a crit made the first hour of playing the most not fun trial and error.

It's a good game if you can get into it OP, you're in for a treat if you enjoy it.

I tried playing through Hard on Nocturne during my playthrough earlier this year and I just didn't find it fun. I died twice to the first battle of the game. Glad I switched to normal not too far into the game.

I tried playing through Hard on Nocturne during my playthrough earlier this year and I just didn't find it fun. I died twice to the first battle of the game. Glad I switched to normal not too far into the game.

It's not fun at the start because you can easily die in the first encounters. I had to basically do the first battles 5 times before I was lucky enough to not get crtic'd.

Basically: save hard mode for when you feel like suffering.

Euphony

Banned
It's not fun at the start because you can easily die in the first encounters. I had to basically do the first battles 5 times before I was lucky enough to not get crtic'd.

Basically: save hard mode for when you feel like suffering.

I did make it decently far on Hard mode, up to where you fight
Dante in front of the Mantra building
, but I just couldn't take it anymore and I switched to normal. I can't imagine what the
Labyrinth of Amala
would be like on Hard. I guess at that point you would probably have a good set of demons but still I can't imagine it would be that fun.

Top Bottom