• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I bought an Xbox One S but I hardly ever use it

JettDash

Also a couple used games and one year subscriptions to Xbox Gold and EA Access.

Bought them at the beginning of the year thinking that I would get back into gaming but I hardly ever play.

I dunno, I guess I would rather watch Netflix or surf the internet than play video games. Didn't realize that I would feel this way when I bought it.

$400 or so down the drain. Oh well.

I know this is a video game forum but is anyone else like this?

Dishwalla

Banned
This has been like the last three generations of gaming for me, for some reason I haven't been able to stop buying the consoles though. The fact that they act as all in one media centers now does help though.

Why would you when the exclusives are terrible, when the exist, and all the other games are available in often superior form on PC or PS4?

My gaming time has gone way down. After work I tell myself I’m going to play something. I end up just doing my workout, web browsing, and reading. It’s not that I don’t have time, I just don’t care anymore. I might play on my days off, but that’s about it. I guess I just have different priorities now.

My Xbox pretty much sits gathering dust. Since getting it, I also upgraded my PS4 to the Pro, so it only really makes sense to buy exclusives on the Xbox, which seem to be rather non-existent or shit.

Apt101

I use mine as a UHD player.

And I have wasted so much money on electronics I ended hardly ever using, or furniture I didn't really need, it's kind of shameful. I have made a concerted effort to live more minimalist in every way.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
That adult escapism where the challenge of gaming can be felt as bothersome. Nothing wrong with it, sometimes you just want to turn your brain off to The Office you've binged for the fifth time

Aiii

So not worth it
Pretty much every Xbox I've had didn't get much use (for the record, that's the original, the 360 and 360 slim). I'm not a big fan of FPS or TPS games, so I guess that explain most of it. I'd just end up playing the multiplatforms on the system which I also played the exclusives on. So either PS or PC.

I realized I should probably stop buying them at that point, OP, seems like that is the right course of action here if you don't even want to game at all.

Skelter

Banned
Biggest reason I bought it over the PS4 is 4K Blu-ray. EA Access was also a factor.

Same reason I bought my Xbox One S. I got it on sale though. I wanted to play Persona 5 but for some dumb fuck reason there's no 4K bluray playback on PS4 Pro's.

Swass

I bought the Xbox One at launch for exclusives since my main console is a PlayStation.. other than playing Ryse, Max: The Curse Of Brotherhood, Peggle 2 when it was still exclusive, Ori, Powerstar Golf, and Forza Horizon 2: Fast and Furious.. I hadn't touched it. I then traded it in for the 2TB S because I got decent trade in value even though we knew the Xbox One X was coming. Big mistake because now I don't want to touch my dozen or so still in shrinkwrap Xbox One retail games until I upgrade to an X. But I'm not upgrading to an X until a major bundle or sale comes as I've learned my lesson on MS hardware.. so my basically unused S just sits gathering dust and probably will never be used.. but hey I got a free Kinect adapter for the S so there's that.

ironmang

I'm surprised that this doesn't happen to you more often. There's tons of shit in my house that I bought and never or barely used.

You'll probably get a 4k TV at some point, so stick with it as a 4k player. The fact that you can't seem to find anything worthwhile to do with it at the moment is unfortunate but I'm not really sure what advice to give you on that.

Your inner monologue said:
The Xbox One S was never going to work, it wasn't high-tech enough, it wasn't powerful enough. The Xbox One X will be the thing to kick-start the gaming heart, you should pre-order that instead.

Sell it, unless you really want that 4K Blu Ray player, I'm which case it's still worth something to you. You can always re-buy it if absolutely necessary.

JettDash

You'll probably get a 4k TV at some point, so stick with it as a 4k player. The fact that you can't seem to find anything worthwhile to do with it at the moment is unfortunate but I'm not really sure what advice to give you on that.

Got the 4K TV already before I got the Xbox. Probably wouldn't have got the Xbox if I didn't.

I can feel you :( I've been wanting an Xbox One S for a long time, mostly because it's design is cool and small, it does not seem to draw a lot of power and could be a decent media player, with the 4K playback. But I would not know what to play on it. Whenever I look at a list of the best games, they either are available on PC or are exclusives that don't interest me, like Gears or Halo.

Heck, I don't even use that PS4 Pro I bought three weeks ago, even if there are a lot of games I'd want to play. Very little time to play, even less mood for playing (I've tried to limit my Netflix time, but I end playing guitar instead of gaming), and the fact that I've been stuck trying to beat a fairly long game for months and i don't like to start one game unless I finish the current one.

Sony

Nintendo
My gaming pattern is also incididental now, I play on my Xbone/PS4 every once in a while.

The annoying this is that when I do want to play (and I play online), I have to download a shitload of updates. Seriously the last time I wanted to play Halo 5 I had to download a 40GB update. Since I had no time to download the update, I was fuck it I'll just play Gears Horde online. Oh but wait I needed a 47GB update... then I was ok I haven't touched Doom in a while.. Also a 50-something GB update. Like, I was completely locked out of playing my fucking games due to 150+ GB worth of updates.

JettDash

I bought the Xbox One at launch for exclusives since my main console is a PlayStation.. other than playing Ryse, Max: The Curse Of Brotherhood, Peggle 2 when it was still exclusive, Ori, Powerstar Golf, and Forza Horizon 2: Fast and Furious.. I hadn't touched it. I then traded it in for the 2TB S because I got decent trade in value even though we knew the Xbox One X was coming. Big mistake because now I don't want to touch my dozen or so still in shrinkwrap Xbox One retail games until I upgrade to an X. But I'm not upgrading to an X until a major bundle or sale comes as I've learned my lesson on MS hardware.. so my basically unused S just sits gathering dust and probably will never be used.. but hey I got a free Kinect adapter for the S so there's that.

I have to thank you for telling me that Peggle is on Xbox. Never even thought to look. Love that game. Playing it right now.

That didn't take long.

Well they aren't wrong. I have an Xbox One S and PS4 Pro, and there would be no point in me buying something on Xbox One if its available on PS4. I would likely just be getting a step down in performance. Hell, even before I upgraded my launch PS4, I traded my PS4 copy of Battlefield 1 for the Xbox version and noticed a bit of a step down in resolution.

Don't get me wrong, there are some fantastic exclusive games on Xbox. But they are pretty far and few between, with little on the horizon. Once I have played them, there is little to come back to the system for, save for the backwards compatibility (which is pretty solid).

All that being said, I expect the Xbox One X to change the dynamic somewhat.

Top Bottom