• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread |OT2|

For those also playing on Insanity difficulty I'm curious how you handled the specific mission on Eos where
you accidentally unlock a caged Kett beast and have to fend off waves of enemies while simultaneously killing it.

I struggled for about 40 minutes at that point and ended up cheesing the hell out of it.

Half an hour till the download finish. Anything I should know gameplay wise? I'm gonna stick to singleplayer.

What class to pick? What's the most fun?

I don't have any advice to impart, but have fun :)

For those also playing on Insanity difficulty I'm curious how you handled the specific mission on Eos where
you accidentally unlock a caged Kett beast and have to fend off waves of enemies while simultaneously killing it.

I struggled for about 40 minutes at that point and ended up cheesing the hell out of it.

Insanity that hard, huh? I'm definitely going to be playing on Insanity too, but I'm kinda glad to hear it's that unforgiving. Dragon Age on the hardest difficulty felt easy in the sense that I ended up not being in any danger of dying after a while, but everything just kind of took longer and I had to pay more attention.

Xando

Half an hour till the download finish. Anything I should know gameplay wise? I'm gonna stick to singleplayer.

Explore as much as you can. Some great stuff to find

Just downloaded the Apex HQ app from the canadian App Store. Gonna run a lot of strike missions until Monday.

Stay inside the room you trigger the encounter from for a while. The sightlines outside are just too long, you'll get outflanked and gunned down. After you break the first wave of Kett, you can venture out. Make sure to focus down the minigun guys ASAP.

I'm partial to Infiltrator because I always loved playing this way, but I think in sheer fun it would be Adept or Vanguard? Lot of pulling and throwing and movement

It really depends on what kind of gameplay you want from games, it's more of personal tastes than universal consensus, don't worry though there's text explaining what every class does so you won't be jumping in blind and you can always reset stats later on or start another character

Luxorek

Oh, I intend to fully explore everything there is during those 10 hours. But I've been wondering about the class system. It's not as rigid as before, right? I've heard something about picking a secondary class, is that correct?

21 minutes left

Edit: Thanks Systolique. Vanguard isn't called Vanguard anymore, right? It's Scrapper or something?

Oh, I intend to fully explore everything there is during those 10 hours. But I've been wondering about the class system. It's not as rigid as before, right? I've heard something about picking a secondary class, is that correct?

21 minutes left

Edit: Thanks Systolique. Vanguard isn't called Vanguard anymore, right?

It isn't, but when you're picking origins they're all called something else. You want Scrapper, but you'll see that when you get there.

All that determines is what your starting skills and unlocks are. You can still get everything eventually. No more class limitations.

Stay inside the room you trigger the encounter from for a while. The sightlines outside are just too long, you'll get outflanked and gunned down. After you break the first wave of Kett, you can venture out. Make sure to focus down the minigun guys ASAP.

Believe me I know the pain of the minigun Kett, the problem is on Insanity they relentlessly hunt you down and with the added health enemies seem to have having two drop down on top of you at once is the definition of struggle.

I did beat it in the way you mentioned but it took a while. I think my first goal once the game opens up monday night is to craft a better assault rifle. The Avenger isn't bad but it struggles at longer distances.

DOWN

Banned
It seems slightly nasty that hype threads aren't allowed for games yet there's a 60 page discussion consisting of mocking gifs

But maybe I'm just misunderstanding

21 minutes left

Edit: Thanks Systolique. Vanguard isn't called Vanguard anymore, right? It's Scrapper or something?

I'm not familiar with the new names yet :c

But yes, it's not a secondary class as you can potentially unlock everything if you play the game a (very) lot, it works as "Profiles", where you can configure up to 3 profiles (I think?) that you can change on the fly, so you could have your Infiltrator, Adept and Soldier profiles on a single character

Believe me I know the pain of the minigun Kett, the problem is on Insanity they relentlessly hunt you down and with the added health enemies seem to have having two drop down on top of you at once is the definition of struggle.

I did beat it in the way you mentioned but it took a while. I think my first goal once the game opens up monday night is to craft a better assault rifle. The Avenger isn't bad but it struggles at longer distances.

Oh man, the Avenger is useless. You'd be better off with the Predator or the Viper. One of the other starting guns. I picked up a Mattock reasonably early, that's what I'm rolling with right now.

It seems slightly nasty that hype threads aren't allowed for games yet there's a 60 page discussion consisting of mocking gifs

You understand perfectly. I've never quite understood why, but positivity is way more restricted than negativity around here. Calling someone a shill for over-the-top enthusiasm is totally fine, but calling out undue negativity in similar terms will get you in trouble.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Just had an MP match where one of those levitiating kett guys took two rockets to the face and still didn't die. i'm assuming it glitched out?

No, the rockets don't actually go through physiscal shields completely for some reason, they aren't the one shot killers on everything they were in me3mp.

"Criticism" in the gaming community is synonymous with "negativity". Negativity is also somehow viewed as more valuable than positivity, probably due to its fallacious tie with "criticism", which is why it's often allowed to drown out any positive discussion, as is the case right now.

Oh man, the Avenger is useless. You'd be better off with the Predator or the Viper. One of the other starting guns. I picked up a Mattock reasonably early, that's what I'm rolling with right now.

It's not useless, I was having great success with it early on, it's just not suited for anything beyond medium range. I already have the viper, didn't seem very effective with 3 round clips and relatively meh-worthy damage. I don't want the mattock because I hate single-fire assault rifles. I want something similar to the harrier but all there is so far is a bunch of weapons from ME3 I didn't like.

Whales

Banned
I wish EA Access existed on ps4 so i could try the trial out to.. I want to play the MP so bad.

I really went on a media blackout for this game... I didn't even know they removed powers, changed some, added new ones.... Heck, I didn't even know who the main characters for andromeda were before I googled it ( and I didn't know they were twins either)

Can't wait until tuesday

Luxorek

EdrUM1x.jpg

It's 3 minutes now. Goddamn you, EA and your servers.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
OK, I officially hate these prerelease trial offers now. I want to jump back into the game so badly, dammit...

Haha, I feel a bit the same. I've got less than 5 hours left, and I'm restraining myself not to play too much so I can have a bit of Mass Effect Andromeda everyday until tuesday.

Thank god i still have Zelda & Overwatch to keep me busy.

Madness

Straight up says it.

Ugh.

I mean this happens for any game. Negativity trumps positivity and people ignore the 50 new things it does well for the 1 thing it doesn't or is missing. I blame EA for this. So many years without footage and then what they show isn't the best. I still think EA Access was a mistake. A game like Mass Effect is never suited well for a demo.

I mean this happens for any game. Negativity trumps positivity and people ignore the 50 new things it does well for the 1 thing it doesn't or is missing. I blame EA for this. So many years without footage and then what they show isn't the best. I still think EA Access was a mistake. A game like Mass Effect is never suited well for a demo.

This feels different to me. Not, like, unique or anything, but way more than the typical background negativity.

I dunno, I think it helped a lot of people realize that there's a good game to be played. A lot of the negativity and vitriol is coming from folks who have only seen gifs and screenshots of bugs and facial animations. Not everyone that played the trial liked it, of course, but I'd say it has been overwhelmingly positive on those who played for the full ten hours.

https://twitter.com/bioware/status/843190432033005568

I guess BioWare isn't happy about people specifically mislabeling and attacking their dev team.
Ugh. What an embarrassment some people can be on the gaming community.

Sou Da

I've been out lately, what the fuck is going on with some former ea employee being misidentified as a MEA employee or some shit?

Vengal

Same thing, gave up and retreated to a ridge and sniped.

Patryn

I've been out lately, what the fuck is going on with some former ea employee being misidentified as a MEA employee or some shit?

I believe certain sectors of the internet found a person who described themselves as a cosplayer or something, and somehow misinterpreted her as the lead animation designer and began attacking her or something.

Would it also shock you that this person is a woman?

Patryn

What was gorilla games part 1?

GG is GamerGate, not Guerilla Games in this context.

Regardless, this is just (sadly) usual shit that Bioware has dealt with in the past, see also: what happened to Jennifer Hepler. I don't think it'll spawn a new GG, not that GG ever left (see also: the current state of discourse in the US).

Someone was mistakenly identified as being a lead for MEA, and then was ganged up on by a bunch of trolls. Same shit, different target.

Vamphuntr

God, it's Hepler all over again. Watch this spawn GG part 2.

This was shameful as a whole even for here. People started to post pictures of her and attack her personal appearance. Disgusting. Truly show how misogynistic gamers are. If the writing had been done by a male people wouldn't have attacked as much.

My first impressions. I'm a long time ME fan, with ME1 being one of my favorite games of all time.

- It starts very slowly. It's pretty different than any other Mass Effect game in how it starts. I didn't mind it at all, in fact I like how different it feels in this regard, but can totally see why some would find it a bit off-putting as it doesn't feel immediately as epic. In fact the tutorial, until the very end, it pretty subdued on the narrative front. Even moreso than Eden Prime in ME1. It's Mass Effect, so an alien race isn't /that/ strange, and it also isn't space zombies.

- If the level of exploration that was present on the tutorial planet is there on the others, I'm going to be extremely happy. There were two different places well off the main tutorial path that I found, which weren't only interesting, but since I did they were brought up by my Ryder in a cutscene conversation later on. Really cool.

- I know that some people immediately look at the scanning and equate it to the pulse from DA:I, but it's really well contextualized here and actually fits. Admittedly, I'm the kind of person that is obsessed with finishing my Hyrule Compendium in BotW and scanned everything in Metroid Prime. I love getting the small bits of world building, and here you also get resources for doing it, so win/win.

- Combat feels great. I'm not going to say its the best in the series yet, as I haven't put anywhere near enough time in to say that with confidence. I am very optimistic based on what I've played so far.

- Jump jets are awesome.

- There is totally some jank going on here, most of it being bugs. Had one enemy A-pose on me in the combats I've had, and there were some enemy transports where the exit animation was there was no animation. In fact, it looked to me like the distance stuff is just bugged. The more awkward stuff is actually in the cutscenes, where I haven't had any weird animation bugs which we've seen elsewhere, but there are some strange choices for camera cuts. Nothing game ruining, but just weird.

ViciousDS

Banned
Mass Effect Andromeda |OT| Please stop in and tell us how Bioware hurt you

Mass Effect Andromeda |OT| You must be this perfect to play this game

I fully expect the OT to turn into shit show 2.0

I'm half expecting that if the OT is neutral / positive that it'll be mod/admin hijacked for Shit Mountain OT Ver 2.0.

What do you mean? As in the original OT has to be shit down and then re opened with a mod description?

sagat2036

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Freezer burn is real!!

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| NO pretty ppl allowed!

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Give us a few years to thaw.

Top Bottom