• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favourite old-school DOS platformer?

L Thammy

I just realized that the Crystal Caves guy would make a great avatar. I think this is the right size.

crystalcavesf3ln5.png

mike6467

Oh man, I remember my first exposure to DOS being in middle school when they had computers for everyone. People brought in games for downtime and we played so much Commander Keen. So many great memories.

With that said, I can't remember the game, but my favorite was a futuristic racer, which was more like a platformer then a racer because you weren't actually racing anyone, you just had to make it through the level and it involved making precision jumps between platforms and not falling. Any ideas?

Edit: Found it! It was Skyroads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJZqlPF8Opo

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Alot of the games mentioned here isnt really that great imo. Hocus Pocus has no level design, and is so samey, and thus boring. The same can be said for a lot of the Commander Keen-games (although they are better), and Jazz also was very uneven (although it looked good). Personally, I played a ton of PC-plattformers simply because they were easy to pirate, but I really wanted to play Nes/Snes/Mega Drive.

Edit, basically this:
Prince of Persia is the closest thing to a good platformer on early dos. Titus the Fox, the Blues Brothers game, Gods and Elf are passable I guess. All those shareware EGA games, Dave, Keen, Duke Nukem, Jill of the Jungle etc are so so awful.

Jill, Gods, Blues Brothers etc all sucked compared to what was going on at Snes/Mega Drive at the time.

Davey Cakes

I always loved Skyroads 3D! Not a platformer obviously but it kinda sorta had platforming elements. Lots of timing-based jumping.

ITT: programmers try to be artists
Honestly, that's part of the nostalgia for me. A lot of these games were improved if you had a good imagination.

Airola

This is one of the reasons those old games aren't filled with bullshit and have great sense charm to them.

The graphics in games these days have been done by "art school wonders", and the art is quite often very off putting. And as soon as a certain "art styles" go out of fashion the games lose their graphic appeal.

Sakwoff

One of the Keens is probably the best. Probably Keen 4: Goodbye Galaxy?

I do also have a soft spot for Hocus Pocus.

Hocus_Pocus_-_DOS_-_Game.png

Lemme show you something:

XPeEUE0.png

What you see is Hocus Doom. A TC for the GZDoom engine. It's bloody great, totally plays like you would imagine a mid-90s 3D sequel to Hocus Pocus would play. Blew my mind when I found it. Also the first person platforming totally works and isn't frustrating at all.

It's not done yet, but large chunks including the complete first episode are already fully playable.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45804

Eradicate

This thread is awesome! It's incredible what such small teams of programmers could do!

Treasure Mountain/Mathstorm.
Treasure_Mountain_-_DOS_-_Club_House.png

Duke Nukem
Screenshot-2.png

Word/Math Rescue
hqdefault.jpg

Oh, that's another thing about those huge game discs. Lots of edutainment titles! You could get tons of them on a BD now! I always had a soft spot for them because my parents were both teachers so we played things like Reader Rabbit and my absolute favorite...Stickybear!

Just look at that mug! And Stickybear Reading...

12A0231.JPG

Just awesome!

I just realized that the Crystal Caves guy would make a great avatar. I think this is the right size.

crystalcavesf3ln5.png

That cleft chin! Great avatar! He looks so intense!

I love how there are so few words in the thread title and yet we're still getting Windows games and non-platformers. XD

Not being a dick, I genuinely think it's quite funny.

Great picks so far. I'd forgotten all about Skunny.

Haha, Skunny seemed to be everywhere and then just vanished! I think I only played two games with Skunny in it, but I think there are more...?

balohna

Crystal Caves, though I pretty much just played the same 5-6 DOS games that came pre-installed on my family's PC.

Back in the day I mastered The Blues Brothers, could beat the entire thing in one sitting. Can barely go through the second level these days. It's not exactly the best DOS platformer out there, especially with the screen-by-screen scrolling, but I like it.

Also used to play the DOS version of Jungle Book a lot, man that was fun. Replayed it recently and it's still pretty fun, but fuck that random Shere Khan boss fight.

EDIT:
Fine. Prehistorik 2. :)

Oh man, great game as well.

Alavard

It would probably be this old one:

hqdefault.jpg

The Amazing Spider-Man

It was a strange game, and I never did get that far in it, but I played a lot of it

Lemme show you something:

XPeEUE0.png

What you see is Hocus Doom. A TC for the GZDoom engine. It's bloody great, totally plays like you would imagine a mid-90s 3D sequel to Hocus Pocus would play. Blew my mind when I found it. Also the first person platforming totally works and isn't frustrating at all.

It's not done yet, but large chunks including the complete first episode are already fully playable.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45804

Wow, I need to try this. There is one enemy in particular in that game that used to make me think of Doom actually.

Sakwoff

Haha, Skunny seemed to be everywhere and then just vanished! I think I only played two games with Skunny in it, but I think there are more...?

There were a bunch:

- Save our Pizzas - Platformer set in ancient rome. I remember that one being the best of the bunch.
- Forest - Platformer set in, duh, a forest which had speed/momentum mechanics (that didn't work great)
- Wild West - Platformer set in Wild West with a dash of cultural insensitivity towards Native Americans
- Desert Raid - Sidescrolling shooter in the middle east. With planes and stuff. You fight a guy named Sadman Insane. Yup.
- Some game set in space. You control some sort of moon rover. I remember this being barely playable.

Then there was also a later game just called Skunny, which was kind of a blatant ripoff of Donkey Kong Country, with digitized graphics, barrel cannons and all that. I remember that one being kind of decent.

Oh, and Skunny Kart. Which is a Super Mario Kart ripoff. I think Wacky Wheels was better.

L Thammy

There were a bunch:

- Save our Pizzas - Platformer set in ancient rome. I remember that one being the best of the bunch.
- Forest - Platformer set in, duh, a forest which had speed/momentum mechanics (that didn't work great)
- Wild West - Platformer set in Wild West with a dash of cultural insensitivity towards Native Americans
- Desert Raid - Sidescrolling shooter in the middle east. Also slightly culturally insensitive. You fight a guy named Sadman Insane. Yup.
- Some game set in space. You control some sort of moon rover. I remember this being barely playable.

Then there was also a later game just called Skunny, which was kind of a blatant ripoff of Donkey Kong Country, with digitized graphics, barrel cannons and all that. I remember that one being pretty decent.

Oh, and Skunny Kart. Which is a Super Mario Kart ripoff. I think Wacky Wheels was better.

I remember thinking that Skunny Kart was hilarious because they labelled their characters by difficulty. Like, they didn't even bother trying to balance their racers, they just said the good ones were easy mode and the bad ones were hard mode.

Also, Wacky Wheels let you play as a shark and shoot hedgehogs, so it's automatically a better game.

Sakwoff

I remember thinking that Skunny Kart was hilarious because they labelled their characters by difficulty. Like, they didn't even bother trying to balance their racers, they just said the good ones were easy mode and the bad ones were hard mode.

Also, Wacky Wheels let you play as a shark and shoot hedgehogs, so it's automatically a better game.

Yeah. :D

Wacky Wheels was indeed pretty awesome. Its one problem is that it runs at like 20fps regardless of pc/dosbox specs and thus kind of feels like molasses. Especially compared to Mario Kart. Its hedgehog mechanics are the shizzle though.

I mostly played the panda.

I agree with the OP that Monster Bash was pretty incredible. Never beat it (got as far as the level that starts with the sleeping dragon), but me and my brother had so much fun taking turns playing it.

I also have a soft spot for Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. Another that I never got far in, but I love the sound effects. They're so loud and harsh these days, but very memorable.
Commander Keen 5 was the GoaT.

Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydbd1tP2QWk

I must not have played the Keen games past 4 because I don't remember this one at all. Also, it looks TERRIBLE graphically. :/

Sciz

Lots of great games from the era, but the second Keen trilogy runs away with it. A lot of DOOM's DNA can be traced to the Keen games, and Goodbye Galaxy was the best of them.

I also have a soft spot for Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. Another that I never got far in, but I love the sound effects. They're so loud and harsh these days, but very memorable.

cosmoscosmicadventurex6bti.gif

Cosmo was great. Didn't scroll as smoothly as Keen, but it was very inventive and cleverly designed all around. Some of Bobby Prince's best work, too.

Fairy Godmom!

Shit, I didn't think anyone else remembered that. Excellent game.

magnetic

I was just going two comment how much I love these amateur graphics. It's striking how different it looks from console games.

Especially the EGA and CGA games, and of course ASCII based titles.

It's such a wild and interesting era. It's all shame I played so little of these games, but Jetpack in particular stuck with me.

woopWOOP

I was gonna go with Commander Keen or Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, but...
Gotta go with one of the granddaddy DOS platformers...

Oh hell yes. While I played a lot of NES to get my platformer fix, at my aunt's house I usually played this instead. Loved the different areas you travelled to and the wacky colourful enemies with their own patterns. I think their version also had some sorta infinte lives hack going on, but despite that I never got inside the castle.
Does Alley Cat count? I pick that regardless.
Also great, but I guess more of an arcade.... ... minigame collection of sorts? :p

Krammy

Commander Keen 5 is probably my favourite bar none, but there's a lot of other titles I enjoyed. Most of them have been posted already but here's a few I haven't seen in this thread.

Cyril Cyberpunk
5LDr6T1.png

Xargon
vGCjiia.png

Top Bottom