• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuneScape |OT|

My account is 10 years old now. The game is definitely worse than it was. Not because of the new combat or the new game mechanics, but just because of the dying economy. Because of bots, skilling costs money now, rather than making it. The entire game is a juggle of making money to raise skills, then skilling, then raising money to raise skills, etc.

TheMink

My account is 10 years old now. The game is definitely worse than it was. Not because of the new combat or the new game mechanics, but just because of the dying economy. Because of bots, skilling costs money now, rather than making it. The entire game is a juggle of making money to raise skills, then skilling, then raising money to raise skills, etc.

Really? :(

Thats a huge disappointment.

Really? :(

Thats a huge disappointment.

Yeah. =\ Once you reach the highest tier of combat (Nex, Queen Black Dragon, Kalphite King), though, you can easily make ~100m a week, and the most expensive skills are probably 200m or 250m tops.

Problem is, the gear necessary to be competitive in that tier itself costs about 150m a set for weapons and 300m to 400m a set for armor (or a 5 month wait for player-owned-ports).

iso135

Yeah. =\ Once you reach the highest tier of combat (Nex, Queen Black Dragon, Kalphite King), though, you can easily make ~100m a week, and the most expensive skills are probably 200m or 250m tops.

Problem is, the gear necessary to be competitive in that tier itself costs about 150m a set for weapons and 300m to 400m a set for armor (or a 5 month wait for player-owned-ports).

Man I need to stop following this thread. Makes me want to play again. I think I am around 120 combat off memory.

t-ramp

Man I need to stop following this thread. Makes me want to play again. I think I am around 120 combat off memory.
They changed the combat level scale, so it goes up to 200 now.

I got 97 woodcutting the other day. Just a couple more million XP to go...

TheMink

Yeah. = Once you reach the highest tier of combat (Nex, Queen Black Dragon, Kalphite King), though, you can easily make ~100m a week, and the most expensive skills are probably 200m or 250m tops.

Yup yup yup, never got that high level but im familiar.

What armor you wearing in that pic you posted? Ive never seen that before.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have a year subscription that they were doing a sale on a month or two ago. It's a fun diversion, and I sort of enjoy the idea of the "higher level" combat dungeons. But it just takes so long to get there. And the lack of carrying space really deters you from doing anything far from a major town.

Inskipp

I'd love to dip back in (just for old times sake+curiosity), but my account is lost in time... I don't even remember my account name (having a bunch of numbers in the end really doesn't help), and I wouldn't dare to go through all that grind again.

I'd guess it's a remodeled black armor. Do they still prefix all the armor parts based on their material? I remember Iron, Steel, Mithril, Adamantium, Dragon(scale?) and black from the old days.

Yup yup yup, never got that high level but im familiar.

It's Elite Black Armor from While Guthix Sleeps.

I have a year subscription that they were doing a sale on a month or two ago. It's a fun diversion, and I sort of enjoy the idea of the "higher level" combat dungeons. But it just takes so long to get there. And the lack of carrying space really deters you from doing anything far from a major town.

They've added a LOT more teleports, including lodestones that are basically any-time hearths to any city you want. It's gone a long ways to making you feel always at home.

I'd guess it's a remodeled black armor. Do they still prefix all the armor parts based on their material? I remember Iron, Steel, Mithril, Adamantium, Dragon(scale?) and black from the old days.

Yup, but now there's also the Barrows sets, God Wars sets, Nex Sets, and Ports sets.

Neo Child

Banned
Had so many fun times playing this. My friends showed me the game, took me to a forest and then killed me. So I made a clan with everyone in my radius an tracked him down and murdered the shit out of him.
After that I became a humble bread seller

Also I saw an ad for this in the cinema lol who's up for making a clan??

SummitAve

Banned
Yep I remember when the whole world except for towns was pvp, and when party hats were a dime a dozen. Game went downhill big time when they changed to 3d graphics.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I played this game way too much as a kid. I remember it was hard for me to quit because I was so damn rich in this game(still am, I believe my account still has max cash, plenty of party hats and a cracker) so I felt like quitting would be a waste. How crazy is it to be able to max out your money in an MMO.

Too bad Jagex really declined in quality over the years.

iso135

They changed the combat level scale, so it goes up to 200 now.

I got 97 woodcutting the other day. Just a couple more million XP to go...

Nice. I logged in to see, and went from like 120ish to 180 combat.

Edit:

I played this game way too much as a kid. I remember it was hard for me to quit because I was so damn rich in this game(still am, I believe my account still has max cash, plenty of party hats and a cracker) so I felt like quitting would be a waste. How crazy is it to be able to max out your money in an MMO.

Wish I had done this. I had a few party hats way back in the day but sold them when they were worth very little. Now I wish I had one for the gp to start playing and training again with best armor and stuff.

strafer

I didn't play that much RuneScape. However I did play Tibia.

nmGuT5y.jpg

How times have gone by.

t-ramp

Anyone ever have the rubber chicken?
Yeah, on my original account. I accidentally let that one get hijacked for a while, then finally stolen and banned. I appealed a while back and regained access, but am not sure if I know the password I set for it anymore. Had the yo-yo and rubber chicken on that one. The oldest stuff my primary account now has is the hats and scarves from Christmas 2005.

moka

I started playing again recently. Anyone still playing? Add me, my username is: Doodyhead.

I've been mining for the past couple of days. Almost 85 mining, might be getting 99.

I do miss the old days of Runescape thoug but I wouldn't play '07 scape because I don't want to start over. So far I've got 3 99s: 99 woodcutting, 99 fletching and 99 cooking.

Damn, crazy seeing this thread here. I've had my account since the very beginning, and I'm only combat level 86 or so. I made money by buying stuff cheap on the forums and reselling them for much higher values. My buddies who introduced the game to me gave me 3k or so and by the end I had like 30m. Quit the game after they added the GE and trading limits, because all of a sudden my character was completely useless. It was a shame, I loved the game.

Downloaded the soundtrack, still listen to it once in awhile. Brings back memories, man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ElGfxTpVXU

moka

Damn, crazy seeing this thread here. I've had my account since the very beginning, and I'm only combat level 86 or so. I made money by buying stuff cheap on the forums and reselling them for much higher values. My buddies who introduced the game to me gave me 3k or so and by the end I had like 30m. Quit the game after they added the GE and trading limits, because all of a sudden my character was completely useless. It was a shame, I loved the game.

Downloaded the soundtrack, still listen to it once in awhile. Brings back memories, man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ElGfxTpVXU

You might be glad to know that the trade limits have since been removed. :)

moka

I saw, the Grand Exchange kind of killed the mercantile aspect of the game though, as it tells everyone the market price and you don't have to work to buy or sell items

No, no. A lot of people still merch, including me. I make a lot of money on this game by merching, sure it's a little bit harder but still fun.

iso135

I couldn't help myself... signed up for a month of members.

So, this new EoC..Should I be dual wielding or 2h'ing?

A few notes:

-I do mostly slayer, and want to do some bosses.

-I would barely have enough gp for SGS and nothing for armor...but could easily afford Z/A/BGS.

-My current dual set-up would be whip and dragon defender.

-I have heard that 2h is currently better than dual, but, that it is going to be updated to buff dual.

-I would be willing to do quests or whatever is necessary with a little research on Enhanced Excalibur, Vine whip, Korasi, possibly chaotics?

-Also, basically I have a budget of 30m to get armor too, not sure how that would play in to which weapon I should choose.

Thanks for any help.

Dec

Combat update kinda killed the game for me since I only ever played once in a while for nostalgia. Put like 4,000 hours into that game over like 10 years, combat update was a big enough change for me that I have no desire to play anymore. After 99 slayer, max combat, and every quest done I kind of got lost on what to do next since combat was my favorite part of the game.

-I would be willing to do quests or whatever is necessary with a little research on Enhanced Excalibur, Vine whip, Korasi, possibly chaotics?

-Also, basically I have a budget of 30m to get armor too, not sure how that would play in to which weapon I should choose.

Thanks for any help.

Like I said above I haven't really played in a few months but Chaotics have always been worth getting, I assume that hasn't changed. It doesn't really take that long to get one and it's probably easier now. Dominion gloves got put back to gloves right? I know they were weapons for a while in beta and had the stats of a chaotic maul.

moka

I couldn't help myself... signed up for a month of members.

So, this new EoC..Should I be dual wielding or 2h'ing?

A few notes:

-I do mostly slayer, and want to do some bosses.

-I would barely have enough gp for SGS and nothing for armor...but could easily afford Z/A/BGS.

-My current dual set-up would be whip and dragon defender.

-I have heard that 2h is currently better than dual, but, that it is going to be updated to buff dual.

Thanks for any help.

Since you only have 30m, I'd go with a good Godsword or duel wield some chaotic weapon, rapier maybe?

Get Bandos Tassets, Chestplate, Boots and Barrows Gloves. Neitznot should be fine but if you wanna splash, you can get a D Full Helm or Bandos Helm.

Make sure you get a Fury + Berserker.

I'd also take my advice with a grain of salt since I only started playing again after a year about one-two weeks ago and I'm still getting used to the whole EOC thing.

iso135

Thank you both for your help.

So, I will go with Bandos armor, slayer helmet (while slaying), fury/berserker, and barrows gloves.

I think I will go for a chaotic rapier... and what off-hand? Go for Enhanced Excalibur?

moka

Thank you both for your help.

So, I will go with Bandos armor, slayer helmet (while slaying), fury/berserker, and barrows gloves.

I think I will go for a chaotic rapier... and what off-hand? Go for Enhanced Excalibur?

Get the Off-hand Chaotic Rapier if you can to kick some serious arse.

moka

OK, so I've managed to reach 88 mining! It's such a slow skill to train but it's not as boring as it used to be since I'm mining concentrated gold mineral deposits in the Living Rock Caverns.

I think I'm averaging around 200k-300k XP a day so at this rate, I should be done in around 1.5 months.

Here goes nothing.

t-ramp

OK, so I've managed to reach 88 mining! It's such a slow skill to train but it's not as boring as it used to be since I'm mining concentrated gold mineral deposits in the Living Rock Caverns.

I think I'm averaging around 200k-300k XP a day so at this rate, I should be done in around 1.5 months.

Here goes nothing.
Congrats and good luck. I hit 98 woodcutting the other day after our conversation, and have maybe 1.05 million xp left until 99. It'll probably take another week or two to get there, though.

Oh, if anyone wants to add me, my username is Tech Bench.

moka

Congrats and good luck. I hit 98 woodcutting the other day after our conversation, and have maybe 1.05 million xp left until 99. It'll probably take another week or two to get there, though.

Oh, if anyone wants to add me, my username is Tech Bench.

Nice man! Let me know if you need anything.

Did we ever see the elf city prifddinas?

And I just realize how much I miss penguin hunting.

Apparently, yes.

Start playing again, it's fun! :)

Shoyz

For those who want to play a Runescape that isn't Runescape, Eldevin's beta just started. Seems really similar, so much as being a Java game. Not really sure if it's charming or unsettling that I played with two separate devs in one sitting.

t-ramp

Finally got 99 woodcutting yesterday, and switched back to my original username, Wcer Tyler. According to my old screenshots, I started this account on April 14, 2005, so it took me just shy of 8 years to achieve my first 99.

Also, how does one go about training ranged these days? Does armor contribute to attack anymore? I'm at 71 ranged now and considering working on that skill now.

moka

Finally got 99 woodcutting yesterday, and switched back to my original username, Wcer Tyler. According to my old screenshots, I started this account on April 14, 2005, so it took me just shy of 8 years to achieve my first 99.

Also, how does one go about training ranged these days? Does armor contribute to attack anymore? I'm at 71 ranged now and considering working on that skill now.

Congratulations on 99 wc! I'm gonna hit 91 mining today.

Regarding range, I honestly don't know the best way to train combat anymore. Try RS Wikia.

I used to train ranged with bronze knives, full void range at Yaks on Neitznot or whatever that Fremmenik island is called.

They changed the combat level to be just the cumulative of your two highest combat skills, giving a max of 200? I do not like that one bit. Also that they're stressing skill level over combat level is really turning me off the game.

Really does not seem like RuneScape anymore... :( I like the game when it was simple, now it looks like if I were to get back into playing it, it'd take me months to even grasp the simplest things.

Darryl

Banned
I didn't play that much RuneScape. However I did play Tibia.

How times have gone by.

i have a soft spot for the early western MMOs, like Tibia, Runescape, and EverQuest. even though I only played Tibia for weeks, i've got a lot of memories with it for some reason.

moka

Really digging the daily challenges and demon flash mobs and stuff. Add me riot_act_pj.

I haven't done any of the daily challenges yet. I guess I just can't be bothered. I haven't left the Living Rock Caverns for around 3 weeks lol.

satriales

I remember playing this back in the good old days. Then when the auction house first got introduced I made millions by buying frogs legs from a NPC for about 15gp each and selling them on the auction house for over 200gp each.

moka

I remember playing this back in the good old days. Then when the auction house first got introduced I made millions by buying frogs legs from a NPC for about 15gp each and selling them on the auction house for over 200gp each.

The Grand Exchange?

Top Bottom