• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers Share Their Thoughts On Switch

sinonobu

Banned
Yacht Club Games

"I think the big story here is how much better it is than their previous consoles," David D'Angelo, a programmer at Yacht Club Games, says.

The process for getting its Switch releases over to the platform was, according to D'Angelo, quite easy. "It was one of the easiest consoles in a long, long time I think that we've had to bring our stuff over to. They're doing everything [right under] the hood: the SDK and stuff is really clean and nice and simple and up-to-date. It's modern like you'd expect. I think a lot of old Nintendo systems maybe didn't follow that line of thinking," D'Angelo says.

He adds that most consoles can be spotty at release, but that wasn't the case for Nintendo's newest system. "Sometimes you get the development kits, and you can't even run the demos that they send you. This was like, 'Oh, everything just works! How is that possible?'"

Ghost Town Games

From our perspective the big advantage is how it handles local multiplayer and how accessible it is to a broad audience as a system," Duncan says. "I think we all know the Switch is a different proposition to PS4/XB1 - Nintendo rarely fights on the same front as those other platforms. The portability on the other hand, is a big deal for us. We're really keen on the experience of people playing together, and [portability] just opens up so many opportunities for that."

Overcooked was the team's first Switch title, which meant that there were a few hitches along the way. However, Duncan thinks the normal parts that take time to port - such as saving and player IDs - were more straightforward than other systems.

"I think Nintendo [has] made big efforts to make working on their consoles a lot easier for small teams such as us," Duncan says. "I'm hoping we're going to see a lot of indie games appear on Switch as a result of this."

NIS

"In Disgaea's case, there are only a handful of areas where the hardware's specs might cause a bottleneck," Matsuda says. "We expected everything to work okay like it did on the PS4, and when we actually ran the tests, as expected, it ran without any problems."

"We knew that there would be some issues (such as animations that relied heavily on the PS4's specs) but we knew this would be an issue from past porting projects, so we just accepted it as fact and planned to optimize these areas little by little," he says.

And while Matsuda didn't give any specifics, it sounds like Nippon Ichi fans will have other titles to look forward to in the future. "I cannot disclose if we have any ports planned, but we do have plans of releasing more Switch titles," he says.

Panic Button

"We have a long history developing for Nintendo hardware, and the Nintendo Switch has far better development tools than previous generations," Adam Creighton, Studio GM & Director of Development, says. "The tools are integrated with Visual Studio, which is new for this generation of hardware, and being able to write and debug code through VS is an enormous improvement."

And as for Doom, its scalable technology made it "more straightforward than maybe it could have been," but that's not to say that bringing Doom to the Switch has been a walk in the bloody park.

"It's been hard," Creighton says. "Wicked hard. But I would expect it to be. This is a title that is so frenetic and action-packed and gameplay-pure that getting it to work correctly on the hardware is really important to us, and we spend a lot of time trying to make sure it measures up from the lens of ‘does it feel like Doom?'"

full article here

ryushe

Ghost Town Games said:
"I think Nintendo [has] made big efforts to make working on their consoles a lot easier for small teams such as us," Duncan says. "I’m hoping we’re going to see a lot of indie games appear on Switch as a result of this."
MArEDvq.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Getting a Wii U devkit was easy, but getting a Switch devkit is still a dream to me. I can only hope if I ever get a demo video together that I might be approved then, since there's no way to apply for a devkit otherwise to my knowledge.

Re: Capcom. I couldn't include everybody :)

That being said, I'd be very curious what they'd have to say, as well. I'll keep that in mind for future things.

Keinning

Panic Button
And as for Doom, its scalable technology made it "more straightforward than maybe it could have been," but that's not to say that bringing Doom to the Switch has been a walk in the bloody park.

"It’s been hard," Creighton says. "Wicked hard. But I would expect it to be. This is a title that is so frenetic and action-packed and gameplay-pure that getting it to work correctly on the hardware is really important to us, and we spend a lot of time trying to make sure it measures up from the lens of ‘does it feel like Doom?’”

Hope this will end up all the "lazy devs just don't want to click the 'port to switch' button" comments

Who am i kidding, it won't

Neoxon

At this point, should Capcom even bother with the Switch? Going by the reactions here, there’s gonna be a ton of animosity towards them from Nintendo fans by the time Capcom starts ramping up their Switch output.

At this point, should Capcom even bother with the Switch? Going by the reactions here, there’s gonna be a ton of animosity towards them from Nintendo fans by the time Capcom starts ramping up their Switch output.

People do tend to get cranky in their senior years, yes.

I had already read the article a bit ago and was about to post it here, but saw this thread was made already. It was great hearing from select devs about the process they have had to go through to get games running on the Switch.

I figured Panic Button would say that in regards to getting DOOM ported over to the system. Obviously, no easy task to get a game like DOOM onto the Switch and have it run pretty well.

Crayolan

Yes. The moment they start releasing games people want no one will remember the period in which they were oddly silent on Switch. Besides, they're only gaining animosity on gamer forums, which is a pretty small group of their potential customers.

Kyoufu

Yeah, Capcom should stay away from Nintendo platforms because of angry nerds on an internet forum.

Wanted to read Capcom's thoughts. :(

“We were heavily considering bringing Monster Hunter: World to Switch, but we wished Western Switch fans had been more involved. Very few of them learned Japanese and imported Monster Hunter XX Nintendo Switch ver. despite our putting our best efforts into it.”

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I wish we could stop mentioning Capcom in every Switch thread. Yes they didn't jump on the platform from the get go. At least some games are in the way.

CazTGG

I wish we could stop mentioning Capcom in every Switch thread. Yes they didn't jump on the platform from the get go. At least some games are in the way.

I wish Capcom wouldn't give people so many reasons to point out their half-hearted efforts like not bringing over the Disney Afternoon Collection to the Switch, writing off Resident Evil VII entirely, not bringing over Okami HD to the Switch and refusing to localize the Switch version of Monster Hunter XX, all while constantly saying "___ game is a test to see if Switch owners are interested in our wares" as if they're Ubisoft hiding Beyond Good & Evil 2 behind the success of their latest release.

I'm sure I left something out.

I'm sure I left something out.

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen re-release

The half-assed minigames created to entice Switch owners to purchase the Revelations Collection shows that Capcom still doesn't get what makes Switch a success and who the product appeals to. They still view it as a novelty device, particularly in the West.

Vena

Yes. The moment they start releasing games people want no one will remember the period in which they were oddly silent on Switch. Besides, they're only gaining animosity on gamer forums, which is a pretty small group of their potential customers.

They sort of flung shit in their own face on social media with their stupid PR over XX, its not just gaming forums. Its not even their silence, its the dumb shit they've said when they've opened their mouths that's stuck: bad PR on MHXX, stupid responses with "test games" which has become a poison and derisive meme to anything they announce now, MvCI response, etc.

There's silence, and then there's putting your foot in your mouth every time you speak.

In a world where Bethesda is actually giving a shit for the first time in history Capcom has no excuse and should be shit on for it. Monster Hunter World can easily be on Switch, XX could have come to the west considering most of the localization is already there. Their overpriced port of the game was a huge success, but nothing. I think its fair to laugh at 'em.

I don't get the Capcom jokes, what am I missing

Their support has been a $40 port of Street Fighter 2, a Japan only Monster Hunter that is an expansion to a game that is already in English, and a collection of two spinoff RE titles. How the hell would anyone be happy with that slob of a lineup?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
In a world where Bethesda is actually giving a shit for the first time in history Capcom has no excuse and should be shit on for it. Monster Hunter World can easily be on Switch, XX could have come to the west considering most of the localization is already there. Their overpriced port of the game was a huge success, but nothing. I think its fair to laugh at 'em.
Bethesda is releasing their games on every platform possible without looking. It helps a lot that the SDK for the Switch isn't bad like with previous Nintendo platforms (thanks Nvidia).

Also, shifting ressources at the last minute isn't that easy for a lot of companies, especially with costly projects.

Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 is coming. More is probably on the way. Can't really blame a company to be cautious against a platform with an uncertain future. Aiming to release games on Steam + PS4 + XONE was the right bet to take 6 to 12 months ago.

Bethesda is releasing their games on every platform possible without looking. It helps a lot that the SDK for the Switch isn't bad like with previous Nintendo platforms (thanks Nvidia).

Also, shifting ressources at the last minute isn't that easy for a lot of companies, especially with costly projects.

Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 is coming. More is probably on the way. Can't really blame a company to be cautious against a platform with an uncertain future. Aiming to release games on Steam + PS4 + XONE was the right bet to take 6 to 12 months ago.

Yeah, no. They screwed over the 3DS MH fans who jumped to the Switch doubly by not localizing XX and not porting MHW to it as well (despite using MT Framework, which was ported to the system for USF2). It makes no logical sense. It's pure incompetence. And they honestly think an Xbone version will sell better than a Switch version would?!

There are simple projects any other company would have had time to port, like the Disney NES thing and Okami HD. Instead, they put resources into Street Fighter II: Rip-off Edition and a port of a console port of a 3DS game from 2012 plus a digital-only port of its low-budget episodic sequel that came and went nearly three years ago without making an impression.

Meanwhile, indie developers have somehow been able to bring brand-new games to the system since April with Snake Pass. But Capcom can’t port Okami HD to Switch in time for December.

Neoxon

Yeah, no. They screwed over the 3DS MH fans who jumped to the Switch doubly by not localizing XX and not porting MHW to it as well (despite using MT Framework, which was ported to the system for USF2). It makes no logical sense. It's pure incompetence. And they honestly think an Xbone version will sell better than a Switch version would?!
You could apply that same logic to UE4 games. Even if the engine works on the Switch, it isn’t as simple as a drag-&-drop. I agree in that Okami HD should come to the Switch (even if it’s a late port), but MHW not being announced for the Switch right now is at least somewhat understandable given the reports of it being in development for a long-ass time. I’d love a late port, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ace Attorney ends up being the first major Capcom franchise with a major mainline entry on the Switch (though some think it’ll abandon Nintendo for mobile-only for some reason).

Top Bottom