• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

89 Octane Gas: The Middle Child no one wants?

Can someone explain to me the purpose of 89 octane? It seems your common gasoline car runs on either 87 or 91. Why does 89 exist? Is it an in-between gas for premium users? Makes 87 users drive smoother? I don't know.

FyreWulff

89 often is the non-ethanol one for cars that can't handle 10% (or greater) ethanol gas but shouldn't have the high octane either. But 10% ethanol 87 is probably a regional thing.

ZOONAMI

Can someone explain to me the purpose of 89 octane? It seems your common gasoline car runs on either 87 or 91. Why does 89 exist? Is it an in-between gas for premium users? Makes 87 users drive smoother? I don't know.

It’s sometimes the only option in rural spots where they might not have 91. Also generally a 91 car will be fine if you put 89 in it if somewhere is charging way too much for 91.

TalonJH

Octane preference isn't as set as that. A car that ask for premium will run on a lower octane gas but the ECU will retard timing to prevent engine knock. Most of the time(100% of the time) this means less power and worse gas mileage. Also 91 isn't always available in some areas and 89 is a close substitute.

The fuck? You use different octanes in the US? 95/98 over here in EU land.

I've always been told that they are measured differently. Let me look up a source.

Edit: https://youtu.be/cfhTTuxF6Mk

hoserx

My car asks for 91 or higher. I put 89 in it occasionally and it seems fine. But sometimes I go half 89 and half 93 if there isn't any 91. Lol.

kmfdmpig

Octane preference isn't as set as that. A car that ask for premium will run on a lower octane gas but the ECU will retard timing to prevent engine knock. Most of the time(100% of the time) this means less power and worse gas mileage. Also 91 isn't always available in some areas and 89 is a close substitute.

I've always been told that they are measured differently. Let me look up a source.

Edit: https://youtu.be/cfhTTuxF6Mk

You're right.
This explains it pretty well.
https://www.etuners.gr/fuel/

Just saw that you found it first.

Daedardus

The fuck? You use different octanes in the US? 95/98 over here in EU land.

It's a different way of measuring and closer in real value, but generally European gas is slightly better refined. Doesn't matter a lot though, since putting higher octane in an engine that doesn't need it won't do much for normal traffic. You just need a high octane to prevent knocking (unwanted ignition of the fuel in the cilinder) at high (compression) speeds. Many modern car nowadays have better knocking sensors and can compensate for the fuel injected, but older cars can have erratic behaviour at high speeds if the octane is low.

Apoc29

322bvIS.gif

Can someone explain if I'm correct here please. My car is recommended for 91 octane. What I like to do is put half 93 and half 89 octane. Does that equal 91 octane? Does octane work that way that you can add them and divide the rating by two?

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Can someone explain if I'm correct here please. My car is recommended for 91 octane. What I like to do is put half 93 and half 89 octane. Does that equal 91 octane? Does octane work that way that you can add them and divide the rating by two?
Why not just use 93?

Dosia

Just put in 93 and make it simple.

Daedardus

Not necessarily. Octane is a number that says how unlikely it is that a mixture of fuel will experience unwanted ingnition compared to a specific fuel. Mixing two mixtures will not gaurantee the new mixture number is exactly the average of the two mixtures and can even have a worse number (although that will likely never happen). It's best to use all fuel above the recommended rating if you want to keep good engine performance and durability.

91/E10(ethanol)/95/98 here in AU

Yep. I usually run 95 minimum in any car I own and 98 in my bike.

The only issue I've experienced is that 91 fuel is generally less refined here. Almost every car I see at work that needs a new fuel filter or pump (before the expected replacement date) was run exlusively on 91 and the parts are gunked to all shit.

Also, never run a car or bike under the quarter tank mark if you can help it, people.

I'm so confused - I assumed that it was either Petroleum or Diesel for a car

Petrol/diesel/LPG are standard types of fuel. Usually, petrol come in variants with different octane levels. I've never really seen diesel have a non-standard variant. Never owned an LPG vehicle.

Because I'm a cheap shit. I need to get me one of these pumps:

280px-Gas_Station_Pump_Five_Octane_Ratings.jpg

Just use 93, the amount of money you're saving is negligible.

Isn't this stuff just snake oil unless you're driving a really high-end car?

It's based on engine design. Some cars that are sub-20k still require premium, but for cars that don't you'll see no benefit using higher octanes.

A little more explanation. Some engines compress the fuel/air mixture more prior to combustion to make more power or get better efficiency, and lower octane fuels might spontaneously ignite or burn too fast for a controlled burn in an engine like that causing damage. Higher octanes are better at resisting spontaneous ignition, so the fuel/air mix can be compressed more before ignition.

KHarvey16

Nope. High compression engines (this applies to many modern cars in many price ranges and just about anything turbocharged) benefit from using higher octane. Most modern cars won’t stop working if you give it gas with too low an octane rating but it will hurt performance and reliability.

It's based on engine design. Some cars that are sub-20k still require premium, but for cars that don't you'll see no benefit using higher octanes.

This isn’t strictly true. Many cars can adjust timing if you use higher octane and performance improves.

Izayoi

Banned
^ Interesting... I'm curious why I know so little about this kind of thing. I love cars and I love mine, but I've never even checked the manual to see what kind of gas it wants. I have always bought the cheap shit (even for my motorcycle) and it's always worked just fine.

Define high-end.
Like luxury cars that will run you $100k or more.

"High end" I guess - I'm not really talking about hypercars or anything over $500k, in which it's obvious why you'd use a high octane fuel.

Just when I see the guy at Costco putting high octane fuel in entry-level BMW or Audi or whatever it makes me roll my eyes a little. It's always seemed like an idiot tax to me.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

It has more to do with compression ratio of the engine, I’m reasonably sure. You need a more stable fuel for higher compression or it’ll cause detonation (engine knock). Higher performance motors tend to have higher compression ratios.

Just use whatever the manual says to use. You’ll see no benefits if your car calls for 87 and you use 91. That said, if you use a lower octane than called for, you could be causing additional wear on the engine.

KHarvey16

Just when I see the guy at Costco putting high octane fuel in entry-level BMW or Audi or whatever it makes me roll my eyes a little. It's always seemed like an idiot tax to me.

Those cars will almost certainly perform best with the highest octane fuel and probably require it.

slit

"High end" I guess - I'm not really talking about hypercars or anything over $500k, in which it's obvious why you'd use a high octane fuel.

No, there are cars much less costly that benefit from higher octane. A lot of power cars do. Now, a Chevy Impala or a Kia Soul? Not so much.

99Luffy

Banned
^ Interesting... I'm curious why I know so little about this kind of thing. I love cars and I love mine, but I've never even checked the manual to see what kind of gas it wants. I have always bought the cheap shit (even for my motorcycle) and it's always worked just fine.

I had a 3 series and putting in 89 would give me worst mileage that completely cancelled out the cost savings in getting 89 over 91. Made the car noticeably slower too.
But Ive also had a Acura TL and using 89 only made it a bit slower and mileage was only slightly worse.
Guess it all depends on the car.

Yeah it has nothing to do with the value of the car and if you're going to judge people for using it when you don't know why it's needed or not is rather ignorant.

They don't need to be high end. My 350z only takes 91 and it's not an expensive car it's probably just because it's a sports car. You should really check your manual or gas cap and make sure you're using the right mix. Rather have to pay a couple more cents a gallon then have engine trouble later down the road to save money. Always pumping 91 I kinda don't even look at pump prices since I'll almost always be paying around $3.25+ a gallon. Also lol at the part where you love cars and your car but don't even know what it's supposed to run on. I'm guessing you also don't change your own oil or brakes....

My Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi recommends 87. So that's what I've always used. Worth it. I love that v8 engine so much.

Gonna take my baby to the car wash.

hoserx

They don't need to be high end. My 350z only takes 91 and it's not an expensive car it's probably just because it's a sports car. You should really check your manual or gas cap and make sure you're using the right mix. Rather have to pay a couple more cents a gallon then have engine trouble later down the road to save money. Always pumping 91 I kinda don't even look at pump prices since I'll almost always be paying around $3.25+ a gallon.

Yeah, I have an X5 that also says 91 or better inside the gas door. I do notice better mileage when I use 93 vs the occasional 89. The price difference is like $2 per tank so it makes no sense why I choose to cheap out occasionally. The costco membership helps, their 93 is usually much less expensive than other places..... I need to stop with the 89. Haha.

Uh huh.

ZOONAMI

Nope, pretty much any German car or anything with a turbo performance, mpg, and reliability of the car over time will suffer if you’re putting 87 in there.

^^^ You don't need to make stereotypes based on poor understanding of engine operation, the manual will tell you.

They don't need to be high end. My 350z only takes 91 and it's not an expensive car it's probably just because it's a sports car. You should really check your manual or gas cap and make sure you're using the right mix. Rather have to pay a couple more cents a gallon then have engine trouble later down the road to save money. Always pumping 91 I kinda don't even look at pump prices since I'll almost always be paying around $3.25+ a gallon.

And why bother looking at the price? Are you not going to drive your car? I mean you might decide not to go on a long trip, but are you going to stop going to work?

People seriously over-react to variations in fuel price. I'm not saying you don't notice an increase of $2 to $3 per gallon, but price hunting from station to station for a five cent difference is asinine.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Yep. I usually run 95 minimum in any car I own and 98 in my bike.

The only issue I've experienced is that 91 fuel is generally less refined here. Almost every car I see at work that needs a new fuel filter or pump (before the expected replacement date) was run exlusively on 91 and the parts are gunked to all shit.

Also, never run a car or bike under the quarter tank mark if you can help it, people.

Petrol/diesel/LPG are standard types of fuel. Usually, petrol come in variants with different octane levels. I've never really seen diesel have a non-standard variant. Never owned an LPG vehicle.
I think there's even Diesel & Diesel Super now lol
Yeah, though my local station has changed to 91e/94e/98 for some reason. Means I have to use 98 in my wife's car and my fucking mower because neither will take ethanol.
Ya I've used 98 in everything for yrs now I even find my whipper snipper runs smoother on it

And why bother looking at the price? Are you not going to drive your car? I mean you might decide not to go on a long trip, but are you going to stop going to work?

People seriously over-react to variations in fuel price. I'm not saying you don't notice an increase of $2 to $3 per gallon, but price hunting from station to station for a five cent difference is asinine.

When I first started driving, I used to map out my routes to include the less expensive stations on the route without too many detours. After 6 months of that, I switched to the station that was easiest to enter and exit...

Jarmel

Banned
I have a Subaru WRX and I usually put in 89 despite the car specifically stating 91 or above. Gas is just so fucking expensive in NYS. I know I'm hurting the car's performance and whatnot but fuck man.

Shit ads up. Fuck that. I mean there two two gas stations next to each other. 50c difference in price. I don't know how that sunoco stays open. But I absolutely would go somewhere else for 5c cheaper gas. Add that up over a year.

Yeah it has nothing to do with the value of the car and if you're going to judge people for using it when you don't know why it's needed or not is rather ignorant.

Yup.

Most Beemers need 91 in order to get the best performance and gas mileage. You could definitely put in 87 in it and for a regular person they won’t notice it unless the car is about to break lol.

That said, if you drive a car that requires 91 and you don’t put in 91, then I also think you’re an idiot because you clearly can’t afford the car if you’re skimping out on gas.

Jarmel

Banned
My car says to use premium and as far as I can tell it makes no difference to either performance or fuel consumption

My understanding is that gas mileage is better when you use premium if your car is designed to use premium as the engine doesn't have to strain as much.

Here's an article from a Ford engineer about using lower than recommended rating gas.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-real-impact-of-using-wrong-fuel-octane-1785829176

What happens if you put a lower octane than your car requires?

In short, MAYBE nothing. This one is kind of a big risk. The stack exchange article says that a modern knock sensor will correct for lower octane fuel. This is true, but only in steady state conditions; like cruising down the road, or steady uphill, etc. Transient conditions are where the problems lie. Since it does take time to analyze the knock sensor signal, fast changes in engine load or speed, are difficult to prevent knock. Every automaker is going to be different in this regard, since the ability to analyze this knock quickly depends on the skill of the programmers and calibrators and even the speed of the PCM processor. So, if you put in a lower octane fuel, and then go drive your car hard, press the accelerator quickly, it is possible to experience heavy knock, and possible engine damage. I will say, it is unlikely to actually happen in cars produced in the last few years, but you are certainly exposing your engine to the possibility. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use the fuel recommended in the owners manual of your car, or any signs on the fuel door or cap. When engineers say to use a certain fuel, we have good reasons for doing so.

ZOONAMI

Shit ads up. Fuck that. I mean there two two gas stations next to each other. 50c difference in price. I don't know how that sunoco stays open. But I absolutely would go somewhere else for 5c cheaper gas. Add that up over a year.

Yeah I will put in 89 when they are charging a 50 cent + premium for 91 which is actually pretty common here in MN. At that point the savings are worth losing a bit of mpg and performance from time to time. Super America does 10cents off 91 so generally that’s my go to but if I’m in a weird spot or on a trip and the 91 is over $3 and the 89 is like $2.50 I’ll go with the 89. The shell app is also nice with near constant T-Mobile discounts but the issue is there are hardly any shells here.

^^^^ yeah do your best to put in recommended spec but honestly 89 is pretty close to 91 and I’ve never had any issues doing it occasionally other than noticing a bit less power and mpg.

Top Bottom